Lego

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 2,396 comments
Picked up the new McLaren speed champions one, not yet built it.

1000019364.jpg

Being terrible at remembering things sometimes has perks, my partner sent me a photo of a package that arrived for me today, I wasn't expecting anything, turns out it's a 31071 Drone Explorer I bought last week. I do vaguely remember waking up on the sofa after my usual pre-bedtime nap (read: I fall asleep on the sofa almost daily) and glancing at examples of these on eBay, didn't realise I had actually bought one though...
That happens to me sometimes. I occassionally preorder things, and I wouldn't know when they get shipped, and by the time I get it I'd have forgotten about buying it.

Lego missed a trick on the McLaren by not including the race numbers like they did with the Mercedes pack a few years ago, because muppets like me bought 2 sets just to have the different race numbers attached.

IMG_20240306_213822_edit_24139746252565.jpg

@daan please elaborate!

My car passed its MOT with no work needed, would love to know how - it's a 13 year old Focus that's got quite a bit of corrosion underneath - but I won't question it. I know I should keep the money I saved safe because it will inevitably break one way or another before its next MOT but I'm not a smart man so I've been... That's right, lowballing people on eBay again! This time picking up a few very small vehicles for £5-6 each. Some of the prices on these things are insane, I mean sets with under 100 pieces BNIB for over £30 and averaging £12 used, no box. I doubt anyone is actually buying at those prices, which I guess is why they seem so abundant.

@daan please elaborate!
I work in a digital hub of a library. My main job is helping folk use PCs/laptops/tablets/phones etc but we've recently got a whole host of kit to play with. We do a lot of STEM stuff with schools/kids groups so have got kits of microbits, LEGO Spike stuff, and are going to be getting kits from VEX robotics.

Along with our 3D printers and immersive room, (Random video, not ours, but you get the idea. Ours is on all 4 walls and floor) and a whole host of other stuff, it's all quite fun.

I've been playing Snowrunner recently so this had to be done.

17103587635431279534670994509426.jpg

Can you believe there are people trying to sell this 65-piece set for over £10? I mean this cost me £5.50 and it was still too much but probably cheaper than buying the pieces... Maybe. (edit: it isn't, it's almost exactly the same price once you include postage)

I also got this yesterday:

1710492215328.png

For such a small, almost 10 year old set that's too big to be minifig scale but too small to fit a Technic fig, I actually really like it - it has extremely simple working steering and a little 2 cylinder engine, although I must admit it doesn't look anything like what I know a go kart to look like, it's more like a ride-on lawnmower. But that's fine, it's only 106 pieces after all!

Last edited:
I've been getting back into doing some Speed Champion style MOC's. They're mostly unfinished (in need of finishing the interiors on some, and other's need stickers printing). Some are just renders and some are built.

BRE 240Z (render):

Z-cars style Mini (render and needs window frame and rear light stickers):

Only Spools n Horses, Reliant Regal van, (render and needs panel stickers):

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VI rally car. Finally got around to building it, but resorted to using the rear lights and bonnet vents, from another builder on Rebrickable (Rolling brick). His solution was so much better than my original interpretation. (needs an interior):

Toyota MR-S, (my partners car IRL). Needs a proper interior. :

And finally a slightly modified Datsun 240Z. (done but needs proper pics taking):

Very well done, those look fantastic. I am especially into the Evo VI. Wish Lego would do more rally Speed Champs, the Audi S1 is the only 8 wide one I think? Suppose the latest S1 counts too.

Finally got most of my collection in one place:

17119765999658454557016548668685.jpg

This isn't even all of it - not pictured are my NISB Galaxy Explorer, midi scale Executor Star Destroyer (also NISB), the Orchids, some of 31152 (I have the space dog built and on display), the Creator 3in1 red dragon, magical unicorn and four creature polybags, plus a box of instructions and a box of minifigs. Oh and all my loose bricks which is another 35 litre box - the stuff pictured is almost three full 35 litre boxes.

I've been meaning to pull all mine out like that as well as I need to organize them better... it's very difficult to find a set I am looking for if I want to build it.

@SPhilli911 I have a simple system: one box just for Star Wars (which might have room for one more polybag-sized set but that's it) and the other boxes are for whatever. I have no hope. I do at least have one box of a different colour which is my "current" box which has a bit of space left and is home to the four or so incomplete sets I'm working on finishing off.

Unrelated, I spotted earlier that Tesco has the McLaren Solus/F1 Speed Chumps set for £24 instead of its usual £40, I have negative interest in the Solus but as I mentioned a few pages back I'd like to make that F1 Ueno Clinic MOC which is based on that set, so... I guess I'll buy it. If they have any in stock before the offer ends on the 10th. I'd also like to get a friend of mine the pieces to make the same MOC builder's 787b and maybe some pieces of the Solus could go toward that.

Kinda clutching at straws with regards to the "do Lego but without spending money" thing, last night I got my box of minifigs out and did two very nerdy things: First, I disassembled ALL of them and individually bagged all the complete ones, even super minor NPC-grade figs like a nameless businessman and a policeman from, like, 1988, and second, I separated my bag of assorted minifig pieces into piece type and used BrickMonkey (an app that scans pieces) to determine how many figs I had more than one piece for - there were actually quite a few but one is literally just a pair of flippers and a helmet visor, another is a complete red Space fig but missing the red air tanks, so they're very varied in terms of completeness.

I guess I'll make a BL list of all the missing pieces and see if I can get them, would be nice to have a bunch more complete figs for my son rather than a bag full of useless armless and handless torsos and scuffed heads.

Unrelated, I spotted earlier that Tesco has the McLaren Solus/F1 Speed Chumps set for £24 instead of its usual £40,
Seems Jar Jar Binks minifig god moves in mysterious ways; my local Tesco had sold out so I ordered one online, the order just came with no Lego in it, bummer.

Turning around from the front door after bringing the order in I spotted an envelope that came through the door and fell under the pushchair, a government survey offering a £10 shopping voucher to each respondent. Obviously I rattled through it and got my partner to do the same for £20 off from Amazon, who are selling that same set for £31.88, so I just got it for £11.88 instead of the £24 from Tesco.

One door closes, another opens!

Haven't built any Lego in a while, sadly and I have also slammed the brakes on new purchases too. I have no room to store anything so what is currently built has to be taken apart and stored. I have started the long, painful process of disassembling about 20 sets.

In related news, I might at some point get the upcoming Podracing set. I am not a big Star Wars fan but somehow the Podracing stuff specifically is nostalgic to me.
75380-Mos-Espa-Podrace-Box-1400x1400.jpg

Finished Bonzai and Rivendell, now I got Hogwarts (the old big one) and Himeji to do, but I struggle to find time to do them when it's that sunny outside, especially with my new bike sitting in the corner. And more importantly I dont have any space to put them atm.

And more importantly I dont have any space to put them atm.
Same issue here. Lego seems to be releasing larger sets more frequently than ever before and I don't have the space for them and I am also running out of storage space. It's a real shame to build a set only to take it apart not long after but that's how it is.

Course, no one is forcing me to buy any at all. It's a me problem :)

I used BrickScan to work out what all my minifigs are yesterday and I was honestly shocked to see how much some of them are "worth". Frankly it put me even further off Lego Star Wars, I mean I get having unique models of unique characters when you might have a cheaper version in a different set, but when a Stormtrooper (the Mimban one from the Solo TIE Fighter) is £50, was only ever available in that one set in a quantity of one and that set was pretty expensive. Why? Do you ever see Stormtroopers on their own in the films? No, they're always at least in pairs, if not squads. It just feels like pandering to collectors and scalpers, not people who want to make MOCs or - perish the thought - play with them. If they aren't going to give you a way to get something as basic as Stormtroopers cheap enough to get more than one, why do they bother at all?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, I guess.

I used BrickScan to work out what all my minifigs are yesterday and I was honestly shocked to see how much some of them are "worth". Frankly it put me even further off Lego Star Wars, I mean I get having unique models of unique characters when you might have a cheaper version in a different set, but when a Stormtrooper (the Mimban one from the Solo TIE Fighter) is £50, was only ever available in that one set in a quantity of one and that set was pretty expensive. Why? Do you ever see Stormtroopers on their own in the films? No, they're always at least in pairs, if not squads. It just feels like pandering to collectors and scalpers, not people who want to make MOCs or - perish the thought - play with them. If they aren't going to give you a way to get something as basic as Stormtroopers cheap enough to get more than one, why do they bother at all?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, I guess.
I've personally never cared about minifigs at all.

Back