Less FF for faster lap time

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cote Dazur
  • 37 comments
  • 3,355 views
Messages
4,372
Canada
Ottawa
As every one knows in GT5 we can adjust the Force Feedback from 1 to 10. the higher the setting the stronger the force feedback.
When is strong feedback too much?
There is 2 aspect to Force Feedback:

1. The immersion, usualy and to a certain extand and it could be a matter of taste, type of car driven, personnal physical strengh, etc.....the stronger the feedback the better the immersion

2. The control of the car, that is the aspect I would like to discuss and exchange in this thread.

If we are to consider that force feedback is the game talking to us about the car we are driving, giving feedback on what is happening, then we could think of 10 as shouting and 1 as murmuring. neither is excellent for communicating.

It was my experience than 10 was too much, like if the feeback was to saturate my wheel, preventing from feeling some detail in the information communicated. I used to drive with Feedback set at 7.

Lately I have been playing with lower level, 2 to 4. I seem to be able to control the car better at 2 or 3 than 6 or 7. It depend a little bit on the car.
On some car I am able to consistently lap faster on lower feedback setting.

I use a Fanatec Carrera and a DFGT, I am curious on what every one conclusion is with different wheel, are you faster at higher settings or lower settings?
 
If I drive for the feel and fun I use FFB at 10.

For online multiplayer races with my friends I use 8.

For Time Trials and chasing some times I use 5 and lower.

FFB adds to immersion but strong FFB slows you down because you have to *fight* it much more. So it is pretty much given conclusion 👍
 
Honestly, ever since I plugged my DFGT, it was power steering off, and FF 10.

However, recently, I've been trying (really hard) to achieve gold on the S.Vettle challenge. With my FF set to 10, that car nearly rips my arms off. I get really fatigued, pour sweat even. Once I lowered to level to 1, it's almost like I have the car on rails. Smooth...

But I find this to be a bothersome. I just can't be bother going to the options menu, adjust the values and then go all the way to the track. So I just leave it at 10 all the time.
 
If I drive for the feel and fun I use FFB at 10.

For online multiplayer races with my friends I use 8.

For Time Trials and chasing some times I use 5 and lower.

FFB adds to immersion but strong FFB slows you down because you have to *fight* it much more. So it is pretty much given conclusion 👍

I have to disagree strongly to the part I bolded. I use 9 and I have set my fastest TT times with it at that level. I used to play at 5. One day I decided to experiment and I found that at 9 (or 10 for that fact) I am faster. The more I can feel what the car is doing, the better, shouting or not.(As put by another poster above) I also use headphones so I can hear what the tires are doing more clearly. This is my philosophy: The steering wheel talks back to you and need to answer it properly. The tires will also talk to you and if they are screaming at you, they are not happy. This all has worked very well for me, just ask my partners in the WRS. I take my time trialing very seriously, almost to the point of scientific. This may sound a bit deep for the casual gamer, but for those more serious about the game, give my advice a try. Each person is going to be different. There is no right or wrong answer to the ffb setting question as it pertains to the masses. The only right answer is what works for you. What is faster for you is not going to be faster for everyone else.
 
It probably depends of the wheel too.

I am using Fanatec CSR Elite and due to very strong FFB motors compared to my G25 I tend to experiment with the FFB settings as described above.

When I was driving on G25 I had 10 always because it is totally different way of either delivery and portrayal of FFB effects.
 
It probably depends of the wheel too.

I am using Fanatec CSR Elite and due to very strong FFB motors compared to my G25 I tend to experiment with the FFB settings as described above.

When I was driving on G25 I had 10 always because it is totally different way of either delivery and portrayal of FFB effects.

Agree. I forgot to say I'm using the G27. I also just recently recieved the CSR Elite with Elite pedals but have to make modifacations to my driving rig before I can use them.
 
I disagree. I'm fastest with higher FFB.

To continue the comparison: shouting can be heard from further away. The same principle applies to this, you can feel anything happening more quickly and correct it before it escalates. 👍
 
I disagree. I'm fastest with higher FFB.

To continue the comparison: shouting can be heard from further away. The same principle applies to this, you can feel anything happening more quickly and correct it before it escalates. 👍

Exactly. Thats why I use headphones because you can hear things alot more better and also hear the earliest of lost grip better. Same with ffb like you said. I have greatly improved my laps with both methods. I am a scientific type time trialer and I look, feel, and listen for the smallest of details that will help me and it has worked well for me.
 
FordMKIVJ5
I disagree. I'm fastest with higher FFB.

To continue the comparison: shouting can be heard from further away. The same principle applies to this, you can feel anything happening more quickly and correct it before it escalates. 👍

Thank you for your contribution, what is higher in digits? What wheel are you using?
I believe there is no right or wrong, just sharing our experience.
 
I have to disagree strongly to the part I bolded. I use 9 and I have set my fastest TT times with it at that level
But you aren't a top notch driver are you now?

Some of the fastest GT5 drivers use ffb @ 1 (GTP_DHolland for example), so I do too.
Less ffb yields you more speed.
 
This thread will work wonders if everyone posts their setups (wheels). :)
 
But you aren't a top notch driver are you now?

Some of the fastest GT5 drivers use ffb @ 1 (GTP_DHolland for example), so I do too.
Less ffb yields you more speed.

Seriously, you need to knock this "I'm better than you" attitude off. It's nothing to do with English not being your first language, you're just being elitist for no reason.
 
But you aren't a top notch driver are you now?

Some of the fastest GT5 drivers use ffb @ 1 (GTP_DHolland for example), so I do too.
Less ffb yields you more speed.

Never said I was.

And please, show me some concrete evidence of this. Like I said, its different for everyone. There is no positive answer here.
 
But you aren't a top notch driver are you now?

Some of the fastest GT5 drivers use ffb @ 1 (GTP_DHolland for example), so I do too.
Less ffb yields you more speed.

Cargo was 27th in the World in one of the TT's ahead of what, 199,973 people..yeah I'd say he knows what he's talking about...lol. Holland is one driver, he drives the way he likes and what feels good to him, doesn't mean it works for everyone. The point of the thread is what works for each individual, there is no universal answer.

I tried high settings early on and didn't like them, and since then I've it on 3 or 4. After reading this thread I think I'll try higher numbers and see how it feels now, 2 years down the road, but I think you guys with your G27's and Fanatecs and the like have better FF systems than me with my low budget DFGT:grumpy: and that is what's holding me back. :scared:

See what you started Cote...lol..
 
Cargo was 27th in the World in one of the TT's ahead of what, 199,973 people..yeah I'd say he knows what he's talking about...lol. Holland is one driver, he drives the way he likes and what feels good to him, doesn't mean it works for everyone. The point of the thread is what works for each individual, there is no universal answer.

I tried high settings early on and didn't like them, and since then I've it on 3 or 4. After reading this thread I think I'll try higher numbers and see how it feels now, 2 years down the road, but I think you guys with your G27's and Fanatecs and the like have better FF systems than me with my low budget DFGT:grumpy: and that is what's holding me back. :scared:

See what you started Cote...lol..

Seasonal TT's are competetive as... oh wait, they aren't.
Ok, top 5 usualy is competetive but top 30 generally isn't [unless it's a fixed setup TT which we only had 3 times (excluding GTAcademy)].
 
Cargo was 27th in the World in one of the TT's ahead of what, 199,973 people..yeah I'd say he knows what he's talking about...lol. Holland is one driver, he drives the way he likes and what feels good to him, doesn't mean it works for everyone. The point of the thread is what works for each individual, there is no universal answer.

I tried high settings early on and didn't like them, and since then I've it on 3 or 4. After reading this thread I think I'll try higher numbers and see how it feels now, 2 years down the road, but I think you guys with your G27's and Fanatecs and the like have better FF systems than me with my low budget DFGT:grumpy: and that is what's holding me back. :scared:

See what you started Cote...lol..

Thanks for the kind words Johnny. And yea, try it and see what you think. Like I said, its more of a preference but you might like it.
 
Some of the fastest GT5 drivers use ffb @ 1 (GTP_DHolland for example), so I do too.
Less ffb yields you more speed.
From what I remember he started using higher FFB a while back something like 3. Might be up or down since then though.

You can be fast with 1 or 10, depends on personal preference.
 
From what I remember he started using higher FFB a while back something like 3. Might be up or down since then though.

You can be fast with 1 or 10, depends on personal preference.

Exactly.
 
Talking from my personal experience, I experienced a huge increase in pace as I lowered the ffb.
But yes, results differ from user to user.
 
GT Academy TTs, the really short ones that required high precision, I was using 10 and I think most of the fast people were too like Dan.
 
Hm... you may have a point there.
But the problem here is that I use Fanatec which can't handle 10, so I just got used to 1.
 
Stradivis
This thread will work wonders if everyone posts their setups (wheels). :)

Yes would be great if every one would mention the wheel they are using in conjonction with their favorite FF adjustement.

@ saidur_ali, do I understand correctly, you are using sometime high and sometime low depending of the challenge, can you explain a little bit more?

@ Speed XII what fanatec wheel are you using?
 
Last edited:
G27 FFB setting of 9.

Also, before people go posting that they use the simulation, professional, and amatuer modes with their wheels, keep in mind those settings are only for the wheels highlighted when that option is selected. It does not work with any other wheels other than the ones highlighted. Read the scrolling text in that menu and thats why the other ones are greyed out.
 
Thank you for your contribution, what is higher in digits? What wheel are you using?
I believe there is no right or wrong, just sharing our experience.

I use a DFGT, FFB 10 and power assist off. 👍
 
Do people find they are quicker with power steering on or off?

I think my setup is ffb=7 and power steering=off. I use a DFGT. It is such a pain going through all the menus I rarely even think about it. I'm sure on my old wheel I had for gt4 I was able to dial it in even while driving.

I'll have to experiment a bit.
 
I use a G27, mainly drifting with some seasonals thrown in. I set it to FFB 6 and power assist off, I don't change it ever. I like having the power assist off because I hate the feel when the wheel has no power, when making sudden turns, I like my steering to have a consistent force.
 
Hm... you may have a point there.
But the problem here is that I use Fanatec which can't handle 10, so I just got used to 1.
Fair enough, main thing is using the level that works for you.
@ saidur_ali, do I understand correctly, you are using sometime high and sometime low depending of the challenge, can you explain a little bit more?
Yes, I use highest if it something like really short section TT which requires very little steering. Used 8 for normal track driving. 5 is also good for me and it is easier on skin and quieter too. I have even used no force feedback to make wheel quieter when I used DFGT. I used 3 normally on DFGT, very good wheel.

Now use G27. Time of day I take into account too when adjusting level as well as car. I don't usually change level much though, I will leave it at the default 5 for time being. Don't really play much so I guess I won't be changing that any time soon.
 
I use a DFGT, FFB 10 and power assist off. 👍

Same here. Works perfectly for every single car in the game...except for the Red Bull cars. That nearly rips my arms off. No joke. :scared:
 
Same here. Works perfectly for every single car in the game...except for the Red Bull cars. That nearly rips my arms off. No joke. :scared:

I've never really driven them. I have no want of a car like that. :yuck:
 
Back