Lewis Hamilton Time Trial DLC Coming to GT Sport, With Exclusive Rewards

Well now they have more reason to make the game free ;)

Was supposed to be free a year ago but makes sense they'd delay it because of the DLC

Last edited:
The paid dlc in gt5 was not that expensive and It was worth It. And besides It was a Much larger game than gt sport to Begin with so It can afford to have paid dlc. Paid dlc is not Always a bad thing but some people just starts crying for paid dlc. Of course their is bad dlc as well, but not all is bad. If PD released a Classic trackpack with original circuits or just some of them lets say deep Forest trial mountain and Grand valley speedway. And include gt auto custom and upgrade parts with a new career expansion i would gladly pay $30 for that easily.

its still to soon to start judge this dlc, becouse we don’t have all details yes. Maybe its just 10 time trials with great money rewards and credit cap, but there could be content we don’t know of yet throwed into the mix as well Only time will tell. But i will buy becouse i would love a tough challenge just like vettel in gt5 nurburgring is going to be the most difficult track

Last edited:
People are "crying" about this one because PD specifically said they wouldn't include DLC in this game and went back on their word. That rubs a lot of people the wrong way, me included.
PD specifically said it would include DLC in the game. It said it wouldn't include microtransactions.
Maybe its just 10 time trials with great money rewards and credit cap, but there could be content we don’t know of yet throwed into the mix as well Only time will tell
If there is car or track content, only players with the DLC will be able to use it. That means a fracturing of the playerbase, which is something PD hasn't done to this point in GT Sport - it would go against the esports core of the game, with some (in fact most) players unable to use the content or participate in events with the content.

The special prize car for the DLC is a visual update of a car (obviously a Mercedes) that's already in the game, like I already said. This would qualify as a new car in the same way that the Walkenhorst M6 is a different car to the M Power M6, or the Hamilton W08 is a different car to the colour variation model, or the Honda Super Formula is a different car to the Toyota Super Formula, but should not have any difference in performance or eligibility.

Full info on this is out tomorrow, before the update on Thursday.

Just like someone else said before about DLC... Microtransactions are DLC. I'm not happy about those either. Can't wait for the proper full info tomorrow though.

Walkenhorst M6 is a different car to the M Power M6, or the Hamilton W08 is a different car to the colour variation model, or the Honda Super Formula is a different car to the Toyota Super Formula

Actually the BMWs and two Super Formulas do behave differently. You're right about the W08

PD are miles away from EA, Activision etc I no longer buy any EA game full price anymore I have stopped buying NFS.

Also how long before someone recreated the special Merc paintwork in the game, not long I think ;) there are some very talented people in the GT community

People are "crying" about this one because PD specifically said they wouldn't include DLC in this game and went back on their word. That rubs a lot of people the wrong way, me included.
Thats not true kaz mention plenty of times of dlc. They never said that their was not going to be paid dlc. Is too soon to judge just for one paid dlc. If they continues this trend then i can understand

Just like someone else said before about DLC... Microtransactions are DLC.
No, they are not.

A microtransaction is the exchange of a real currency for a virtual one exclusive to a game. The term has since evolved - and I'm not keen on this evolution as it muddies definitions - to include buying things of virtual value for real currency. DLC is downloadable content, and that is any content for a game which you download, whether free or for money.

That means that, by the content-for-money definition, DLC can be a microtransaction, but is not necessarily so, and a microtransaction does not have to include DLC.

Microtransactions are Paid DLC is a more accurate statement then, right?
No, because (even with the broader definition) not all microtransactions include content - virtual currency is not content.

If you hold that a microtransaction can mean "real money for virtual content", then a paid DLC would be a microtransaction. But then so would all the cars that have been available for real money for over a year.

Can you give an example of a microtransaction that doesn't include content?

Personally, I consider all those cars available to buy in the PSN Store to be Paid DLC.

Can you give an example of a microtransaction that doesn't include content?
Yes, any time you buy in-game money for real money - which is what "microtransaction" originally meant.
Personally, I consider all those cars available to buy in the PSN Store to be Paid DLC.
Like I just said...
If you hold that a microtransaction can mean "real money for virtual content", then a paid DLC would be a microtransaction. But then so would all the cars that have been available for real money for over a year.

Yes, any time you buy in-game money for real money - which is what "microtransaction" originally meant.
Okay, so how/why is virtual currency not considered game content? In my mind, it's part of the game therefore it's content.

Okay, so how/why is virtual currency not considered game content?
Because it's an abstract concept that's part of a game's economy, and not an item that you play with or on/at/in.
In my mind, it's part of the game therefore it's content.
Okay.

To be honest, a game mode isn't even content, so at its heart this Hamilton DLC shouldn't even be considered DLC. It should be considered as a paid game mode with additional media (lap guides, videos, Hamilton's encouraging words). However, the mystery "Project 44 car" is content, so the pack does include content - you just have to be good enough to win it - and it sneaks under the radar enough to be called DLC.

Thanks for discussing that with me. Seems we hit a dead end with money since that's some ethereal abstract concept :)

Microtransactions are Paid DLC is a more accurate statement then, right?
To me, a microtransaction has two elements:
1. It is a transaction, i.e. you pay real money and get something in return.
2. It is micro, i.e. small. The size cutover is a bit nebulous. Clearly buying the game itself isn't generally regarded as a microtransaction, so it's just a question of how small does the transaction have to be for it to be micro. I'd say that something the cost of the Lewis DLC wouldn't generally be regarded as a small enough amount of money to be micro.

However, while that is what I would expect it to mean based on the broader meaning of the two terms that make up the word, it seems it is being used for expensive purchases, e.g. this appears to regard $39.99 for 50 loot boxes as a microtransaction:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtransaction#Criticism_and_regulation

2. It is micro, i.e. small.
In this instance, it's not intended to mean the "micro-" prefix, but as a contraction of "microcomputer". Well, actually, it's a contraction of "micropayment", but the "micro" in that is a contraction of "microcomputer" - at least in that context as there is another context for "micropayment" that does indeed mean "small payment", but it's usually used to mean a small portion of a larger transaction.

So really, a micropayment is a computer currency exchange. It doesn't have to be a small payment either - in GT6 you could buy 7m credits for £39.99.

I don't agree with, but it has mutated to, the meaning of content-for-money. That's literally just a purchase, and I feel that it muddies the waters too much to describe "buying things for your game" and "buying money you can only spend in your game" as the same word. As you point out, you can literally buy the game for money in the same place that you buy bits for the game for money, and it'd quite daft to describe buying GT Sport as a microtransaction :lol:

The main thing about any added content in a online/multiplayer is if it breaks the game.

Titanfall 1, added paid DLC map packs that broke the game, the already thin player base was destroyed by the first map pack, when the second arrived most of the game modes were dead.
Titanfall 2 fixed this by providing cosmetics and free map updates.

That is basically how every single game has been done since then, any extra content that risks dividing the player base is simply not happening any more.

Then we have pay to win content, it can be shortcuts to anything from items to XP that boosts you characters strength, we have seen the slightest hint of this with cars that can be purchased with real money. Some tracks/dailys have meta cars that you would need to "win". But again, the advantage is so small and the players that would really benefit are rarely in need of credits nor cars. The real money items in GT-Sport is more comparable to cosmetic items.

The Hamilton paid DLC can be compared to extra content for a single player game. Like when you buy extra missions and/or a new map to explorer. Usually this extra content is already produced and ready to be sold when the game launches, and it is dirt cheap to produce since the pipeline was already running when it was created. The Hamilton DLC is special, it is rare something is added when a game is 2 years old. The costs for unplanned content like this is usually high, you have to add code, content etc to a already finished project.

I think that PD has done an extraordinary great job of balancing the content you can buy with ingame credits vs real money, and any complaints shows (IMHO) a total lack of understanding of how DLC and Microtransactions work in this game. We have been showered in free DLC since day 1.

PD specifically said it would include DLC in the game. It said it wouldn't include microtransactions.

If there is car or track content, only players with the DLC will be able to use it. That means a fracturing of the playerbase, which is something PD hasn't done to this point in GT Sport - it would go against the esports core of the game, with some (in fact most) players unable to use the content or participate in events with the content.

The special prize car for the DLC is a visual update of a car (obviously a Mercedes) that's already in the game, like I already said. This would qualify as a new car in the same way that the Walkenhorst M6 is a different car to the M Power M6, or the Hamilton W08 is a different car to the colour variation model, or the Honda Super Formula is a different car to the Toyota Super Formula, but should not have any difference in performance or eligibility.

Full info on this is out tomorrow, before the update on Thursday.

Well, they can also do like SMS did on the first pcars or codenmaster with DR2.0

If the one that opens a lobby got dlc content like track or cars,people in that lobby can play on it/use the cars.
Good solution for esports/online races.

Iracing got a lot of dlc between cars and tracks and is also an excellent esports Game

Indeed, but in a gaming context they are wrong to do so.

I've never paid more money for an item of clothing than the 7m credit microtransaction in GT6 would cost. I could hardly call buying an actual t-shirt a "microtransaction". On the flip side, it's ludicrous to call something that costs £40 a "microtransaction" if the term means a very small payment.

But it's part of the whole muddying of definitions. The term "microtransaction" should be limited to its original meaning of a currency exchange between real and virtual, rather than any other definition. Handily, that would also make Kazunori correct.

Well, they can also do like SMS did on the first pcars or codenmaster with DR2.0

If the one that opens a lobby got dlc content like track or cars,people in that lobby can play on it/use the cars.
Good solution for esports/online races.

Iracing got a lot of dlc between cars and tracks and is also an excellent esports Game
Paid content cannot be used in the game's flagship FIA races, because it will not include every player.

Last edited:
Unreal how much blowback this is getting just for having a cost attached to it. PD has literally provided years of free updates and content, yet they put out a single paid DLC and everyone loses their minds.

And for the record, "microtransations" would be if they added a second currency that was used to repair your car or buy fuel or something, and you'd have to either pay up to fix/fuel your car or just wait until a timer runs out. Similar to Real Racing from EA.

This is not a microtransaction.

Unreal how much blowback this is getting just for having a cost attached to it. PD has literally provided years of free updates and content, yet they put out a single paid DLC and everyone loses their minds.

And for the record, "microtransations" would be if they added a second currency that was used to repair your car or buy fuel or something, and you'd have to either pay up to fix/fuel your car or just wait until a timer runs out. Similar to Real Racing from EA.

This is not a microtransaction.

Most of the "blowback" comes from people that have their eyes set on tracks or specific cars THEY want, they definitely do not see beyond their noses.

Yeah it is kinda ridiculous. Most have an issue with micro transactions when it is considered gambling and when you’re trading real currency for a form of in game currency/resource.

Paid dlc is not Always a bad thing but some people just starts crying for paid dlc. Of course their is bad dlc as well, but not all is bad. If PD released a Classic trackpack with original circuits or just some of them lets say deep Forest trial mountain and Grand valley speedway. And include gt auto custom and upgrade parts with a new career expansion i would gladly pay $30 for that easily.
Mmm, not all DLC is bad, but lets imagine that all of the above is either paid for, or free, which would be good, and which would be bad? :confused: I know some can't wait to give PD more money though. :rolleyes: :lol:

I'm not a PD apologist but I do think they should be commended for what they are doing here.

Assuming there is some reason that they have for wishing to boost profits on the game (costing too much to support, Hamilton making demands, whatever) then it's admirable that they didn't take the easy route of slapping a price tag on Spa and Laguna Seca. That has always been a possibility hanging over us, even when they started adding the word 'free' to the update trailers people were proclaiming it as the inevitable start of paid DLC. That would also get them the most buyers.

I paid for the Spa DLC in GT5. It gave me access to the track but it was barely part of the game - no official events on the circuit, only good for free practice runs and custom races. In other games I've bought DLC maps etc and seen what happens - we all know what happens - when the DLC map comes up in a rotation half the players are booted from the room because they don't own it.

It's great that PD recognized this and put the longevity of the game as the priority.

So this DLC is rather a weak prospect on face value - pay for time trials? I can do time trials already. Pay for a LH ghost to race against? I can already race against ghosts of people much faster than me, I know how demoralizing it is. Pay to open the credit cap? Great, but having done the grind for all the 15-20m cars already it's too little too late - I don't see myself ever grinding back to the limit again (plus I have no confidence in my ability to beat the gold times). Pay for tips and advice from LH? Hmmmm... yeah... maybeeee... but the cynical me thinks these tips would be superficial at best (like 'be smooth on the gas and take an early apex' type stuff that is easier said than done) - plus I'm hardly LHs biggest fan so not sure I want him talking at me. I'm sure PD recognize this is all a hard sell so again it's commendable that they are trying hard to keep the meat of the game available to everyone

If this is a sign that PD need to show some financial viability to the people holding the purse strings, in order for us to continue to benefit from the world tour events and free updates, then I will add it to my game for the sake of completeness.

I'm proud to have the platinum trophy and 100% for GT sport, because I am distinctly below average at the game - so if this DLC adds trophies where you have to beat LH to get 100% again - that's where I decide not to buy it.

PD has literally provided years of free updates and content, yet they put out a single paid DLC and everyone loses their minds.
Yeah I don't get this either. It's not even that big of a deal, I mean it's nothing that will divide the player community. In fact I suspected paid DLC to come much earlier than this. Thankfully PD haven't gouged us with paid content.

The times should be fairly easy to beat. Lewis Hamilton is a good driver but he isn't a Sebastian Vettel and his challenges were all doable on GT5.

Back