Lewis Hamilton Time Trial DLC Coming to GT Sport, With Exclusive Rewards

From the screenshot you can see the Brands Hatch gold time is 1:24.0 and you get 500k credits for it.

The circuit experience gold time is 1:27.7

Obviously Circuit Experience is in the R8 and we don't know if the DLC will use Bop settings, but there's a benchmark that gives a feel for it.

All the great content is free and the minor stuff thats not even part of the main game and can be easily ignored is paid dlc.

To me this is the kind of weird decision only PD could make :lol:
Mmm in a GT4 on Hards online I can do 1:29.7 was my best ever. With the Alfa. I might me able to do the GT3 Ham lap then.

What?! If PD puts a track or cars behind a paywall, it'd obviously split the playerbase.

5 or so cars? Out of what, 200 hundred, being locked out? Come on, that doesn't mean jack to the player base, considering everything else that has been delivered in post launch content updates, for free. And, as Famine pointed out in this very thread with regards to the special edition vehicle:

I'm given to understanding that it is a livery and an upgrade - thus new model of - an existing car.

Be real, if this is actually what the case will be (And I'm inclined to believe Famine) then this vehicle will be most definitely shoved into Group X like every other vehicle Polyphony can't find the place for since the class system in the game sucks. Likewise, it's very likely that all of these 'reward cars' are just special liveried versions like the anniversary cars in GT6. So, why the consternation?

Imagine if Laguna Seca costs US$7, how many people wouldn't be able to race on it? This game's focus is on the online Sport Mode, less people racing = empty rooms = splitted playerbase.

That's not actually happening, like at all. Polyphony isn't that stupid. Likewise, considering what this about, I seriously doubt that Polyphony is going to be offering new and exclusive vehicles that realistically, only 10 or 5% of the player base will be able to achieve.

Parts of the Gran Turismo community are wild. You get spoiled for two years straight then have the balls to complain about some paid optional DLC that doesn’t split the user-base and costs about the same as a combo from a fast food restaurant? Give me a break.

There's reason to point out the optics of offering a paid DLC of what essentially amounts to a GT Academy or Vettel Challenge like structure, with one of the rewards being something that 99% of other developers would simply put into a patch. Considering the consternation about 'splitting the player base' with vehicles that are likely just re-skinned versions of existing vehicles, I do agree with you there.

I think a few quid for this in itself is unnecessary BUT, I'm with everyone who says that it's a small price to pay when you consider the amount of extra content we've had for free since the game's release. I've spent much more money on other games and their DLCs than I have on GTS and on this I keep getting new stuff, on other games such as Destiny my progress would become obsolete as soon as a new DLC hit. As long as it doesn't set a precedent and we suddenly have to start paying for the monthly updates I'm good with buying this

Im sorry, but the fact that you have to pay nearly 10 bucks JUST to get past 20 million credits and to access a few time trials is simply ridiculous, but of course some people will give it a pass cause its PD. :rolleyes:
But...

There is a special prize car, that could possibly be a race car. And...I heard you like race cars.

Just joking :D

5 or so cars? Out of what, 200 hundred, being locked out? Come on, that doesn't mean jack to the player base, considering everything else that has been delivered in post launch content updates, for free.
If one of those hypothetical 5 cars would eventually get on one of the daily races, only a few people could compete, thus splitting the playerbase. And imagine if the newest and better versions of GT3 cars were paid DLC, the game'd kinda become pay-to-win, cause we all know BoP isn't 100% effective.

That's not actually happening, like at all. Polyphony isn't that stupid.
I know this isn't happening, that's why I said to imagine it. I think you missunderstood me. You said a game like GT Sport could never have its playerbase splitten. I offered some examples proving that it could. To be clear, I wasn't talking about this Lewis time trial dlc. I was talking about a hypothetical track paid dlc or group of cars dlc. IMO this Lewis DLC is much less "vile" than charging for Laguna Seca/Silverstone/etc.

Last edited:
Parts of the Gran Turismo community are wild. You get spoiled for two years straight then have the balls to complain about some paid optional DLC that doesn’t split the user-base and costs about the same as a combo from a fast food restaurant? Give me a break.

Ah, another "shut up because fast food costs money too" post. How original, insightful and completely disrespectful toward those who have cared to explain why this DLC is not for them.

If one of those hypothetical 5 cars would eventually get on one of the daily races

It won't. Again, Polyphony isn't that stupid. If they did, it'd be offered for trial use like every one of the few one make, one car Sport races they've done with a car worth more then a million credits.

And imagine if the newest and better versions of GT3 cars were paid DLC, the game'd kinda become pay-to-win, cause we all know BoP isn't 100% effective.

Again, Polyphony isn't that stupid. They'd know that'd tank their game hard if that was the case.

You said a game like GT Sport could never have its playerbase splitten. I offered some examples proving that it could.

Here's the thing: it could. It's not going to happen, though, because A: Polyphony isn't that stupid or bull-headed (anymore) and are cognizant of the player base and their expectations after two years of free updates. And maybe most importantly, B: Being a wholly first party developer under Sony means that they can eat the cost of making most of the post launch content free and have it not matter considering GT's position as a system seller.

To be clear, I wasn't talking about this time trial dlc. I was talking about a hypothetical track paid dlc or group of cars dlc.

That's not what's happening, nor does it look like it's happening considering what this paid DLC is, Polyphony's moves going back to the very launch of this game, and who they're owned by.

It won't. Again, Polyphony isn't that stupid. If they did, it'd be offered for trial use like every one of the few one make, one car Sport races they've done with a car worth more then a million credits.

Again, Polyphony isn't that stupid. They'd know that'd tank their game hard if that was the case.

Here's the thing: it could. It's not going to happen, though, because A: Polyphony isn't that stupid or bull-headed (anymore) and are cognizant of the player base and their expectations after two years of free updates. And maybe most importantly, B: Being a wholly first party developer under Sony means that they can eat the cost of making most of the post launch content free and have it not matter considering GT's position as a system seller.

That's not what's happening, nor does it look like it's happening considering what this paid DLC is, Polyphony's moves going back to the very launch of this game, and who they're owned by.
I don't think it's happening either, PD won't charge for tracks, I was just considering a hypothetical scenario 👍

Some interesting opinions in this thread.

I have read that some people don't like this DLC because they don't like Hamilton, or because it recreates events that are already in the game, or because it is paid.

I like this DLC, because they have a 6 time world champion happy to endorse the game, and provide lap times to compete against. This appeals to me. This is written before the pro-am race, and this will give us some indication how fast Hamilton is in GT Sport. I suspect he'll only be happy to be associated if he was pretty quick. I hear he plays the game so it isn't like in hasn't had some practice! Getting real world racing drivers to endorse esports is a good thing, and the more bridges between these, the better.

Like many others, I quite like the idea of having the opportunity to support PD, as a way of showing appreciation for what they have done to develop the game since its launch. It looks like we can realistically hope to continue to get tracks and cars, as they appear to like to have new content in the live streams.

That no DLC so far as split the player base is to be praised. Everyone who owns the game can enter any sport mode event, join any lobby or tackle any single player event. This is the first time that some events are locked behind a paywall. If I purchase this, I'll be encouraging further DLC that can be locked behind a paywall - but provided it doesn't lock people out of campaign mode or sport mode races, I don't have a problem. PD is a business and in order to continue as a going concern, it need to build up revenue streams.

Last edited:
This TT will not effect how any player plays the game. It's a simple buy it or leave it be. Marketing, cash grab, whatever. We've just seen players travel for free to Monaco and live out their dreams. 11 bucks for something that is NOT required to have, for continued play in this game, is not asking alot of one player.

Disney+ is $8.99/month. $89.99 for the year. I think concert tickets for TOOL are $250. Someone on the planet earth, has probably spent $20 on a scale model that's just going to sit in a glass cabinet. I'm not going to buy this TT DLC, but really, if $11 is a big spend for people that can't fathom spending that money, that's fine. If sales are low for this DLC, it is what it is. Maybe PD will gather data for something else in the future.

Unless bronze prize have wide enough time gap from silver and give me at least a million Cr. Then I won't bother to pay for it.
It's damn grind trying to get a fast enough car on Nostalgia 1979.

Are there any tracks/cars locked behind this dlc? I hope not as I don't have any interest in getting it.
• Dragon Trail - Seaside
• Autodromo Lago Maggiore - GP
• Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit
• Willow Springs International Raceway: Big Willow
• Suzuka Circuit
• Autodromo Nazionale Monza
• Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit
• Autódromo de Interlagos
• Nürburgring GP
• Nürburgring Nordschleife

• Dragon Trail - Seaside
• Autodromo Lago Maggiore - GP
• Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit
• Willow Springs International Raceway: Big Willow
• Suzuka Circuit
• Autodromo Nazionale Monza
• Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit
• Autódromo de Interlagos
• Nürburgring GP
• Nürburgring Nordschleife
I believe you didn't understand what he asked. All those 10 tracks are already in the game and can be played at any time. He was asking if there was an exclusive track in this paid dlc, something like Laguna Seca, Silverstone etc. And the answer to that is no.

Are there any tracks/cars locked behind this dlc? I hope not as I don't have any interest in getting it.
No tracks behind a paywall. About cars, we still don't know for sure. There are some exclusive liveries and hints about an evolved version of one car already in game. It's not clear yet what this means. Maybe it's the AMG GT3 Evo, but we don't know if it's exclusive to Lewis dlc.

I believe you didn't understand what he asked. All those 10 tracks are already in the game and can be played at any time. He was asking if there was an exclusive track in this paid dlc, something like Laguna Seca, Silverstone etc. And the answer to that is no.
I gave him the list of what is part of the time trials. Calm down.

I hope it's as brutal as the Vettel Challenges back in GT5. That took me probably 12 hours total to beat back in the day, an almost broken G25 and I probably lost 2L from sweat alone trying to beat it :crazy: Nothing in GT6/GTS single player mode has offered any challenge to decent players. Yes there's online, but I miss the times when gold times in license tests actually strikes fear into my heart :scared:

All the extra rewards are just bonus for me. I've bought all cars so the credit limit is meaningless, and with livery editor I'm sure we will talented members of the community recreate the special edition cars' liveries. The satisfaction comes from being able to say I've beat one of the best drivers in the world (albeit it probably will took me 100x as many tries to beat him :lol:). If anything, it will give you an insight to how superhuman these people are, to be able to set those times like it's nothing and minimal practice.

And as for the price, well, name me one other developer today that still supports a game with actual content updates 2 years after it's launched. Compared to what PD has given us for free the price is nothing really. Plus Lewis' time isn't cheap. There are far worse greedy developers out there who don't deserve your money. PD isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Only PD that make the paid DLC, instead of cars and tracks, it's a time trial with unlocked credit cap as a bonus for completion.

PD is really the embodiment of the "weird Japanese" stereotype thing.

All I can say is:
images

I don’t get why people are immediately dismissed and their complains made null just because they don’t see the value in this

More importantly, why are people suggesting that we hate the franchise just because they’re not a fan? Grow up, Kaz isn’t going to shake your hand for defending the franchise you know

Free monthly content: I sleep.

Paid for easily dismissable content: REAL CRAP.

This thread is pretty much the perfect example of "Accentuate the negative". Keep the negativity up intead of just not buying it, yes?

And don't forget to call the fans "defenders", mindless drones, or something else insulting.

Last edited:

Like damn, I’ll make myself a sandwich for work tomorrow instead of eating out and I’ll have payed for it.

Give me some incentive to pay for this dlc.

All it is nothing more than a glorified time trial nothing more.

According to what little info is publicly available about this so far, this kinda reminds me of "cosmetic" paid DLC in other games since it doesn't alter any gameplay elements, it's not pay-to-win, and it doesn't separate the online multiplayer population into groups of who has playable content & who doesn't. Some people like buying new outfits/skins/emotes/etc. in other games, and many people couldn't care less about that stuff - and both groups get what they want without the other group being affected.

It sounds like just an optional "eh, might be nice to have" add-on for those who want a bit extra, and it's also something players can totally ignore/skip with no impact on their gameplay experience. If so, this seems to me like a good approach for paid DLC, especially considering all cars & tracks continue to be released to all players for free.

Back