Lewis Hamilton TT, worth the money or not?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by Pearl Jam, Nov 30, 2019.

?

Is it worth it?

1. Yes

136 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam

Mods, if this is one thread too many on the subject then feel free to remove it, just wanted to know what people thought now that we’ve had a few days to digest it and what their impressions are, for me it’s been absolutely brilliant and well worth what I paid for it, it’s forcing me to learn tracks in a way I’ve never known before, albeit at the cost of my sanity on a few of them..it’s making me much quicker on tracks that I thought I’d reached my limit on and the constant striving for shaving tenths of a second of a particular corner is bloody addictive, so yeah, kudos to PD but maybe next time a car thats not understeer city would be a wee bit more welcome :cheers:

2. Bass Addict

Bass Addict Premium

Completely agree...:)

oneloops, MikeyLCR, Qyn and 2 others like this.
  3. M4GIC JU4N

M4GIC JU4N

Having watched Super GT get diamond after a good few laps I wonder whether this will be for me.

basically it looks like a set of challenges where you need to be at least a DR A driver to stand a chance??!

Cost wise, fine. £6.50 seems ok for what you get bearing in mind PD give us new cars and tracks every month absolutely gratis!

4. kilesa4568

kilesa4568

It's a great tool to learn with and the huge credit payouts are a seriously good incentive to really push your limit. Well worth the price.

Out of all the cars in the game, I'd say the DLC is the worst for handling and it's at the top of my ignore list. I'm hoping they tweak something to fix it as I want to keep trying for the diamond times with the Gr3.

If circuit experience history is anything to go by, I wouldn't rule a tweak to the handling and a reset leader board out.:p

Qyn, Pigems and ROCKET JOE like this.
  5. Stencedaddy

Stencedaddy

so many people saying how hard it is. what do people expect them to do? hey lewis can you drive some slow ass laps so everybody can beat the challenges? i dont get it.

6. ColinNZ

ColinNZ

I have no regrets buying it. This is a proper challenge.

Hygrade B, TJC_69, oneloops and 5 others like this.
  7. I_Leak_Oil

I_Leak_Oil

Not bought it yet, but I will. Probably get nowhere near LH but the paid DLC is no problem after the amazing free support for this game

GTPVenomZombie, ynot, Qyn and 3 others like this.
  8. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk Premium

Eh, if you're good enough to get the gold times, maybe.

Qyn and I_Leak_Oil like this.
  9. MrBrunoA

MrBrunoA

My obsessive compulsive side is loving it. I'm finding it tougher than I had imagined, especially because the massive understeer is forcing me to understand this car better and learn more about gear change, engine brake and better exits.

I feel that changing the focus from consistency and smooth driving that I practiced for FIA/daily races to a more aggressive hot lapping pace is a good opportunity to level up my skills. Brands Hatch was the most fun so far. Did several laps just under 1:23:000, but couldn't go bellow 1:22:965 - Lewis's car behaves differently and I couldn't find where to improve. Turns out the tiny extra I needed was at the hairpin and it was possible to accelerate a bit earlier while rotating the car.

I think the DLC is perfect for drivers at my skill level (average A+). Lewis or whoever did those laps is an average to high end A+ driver. Highest end of A+ will probably find nothing to learn and will complete it in a few hours, while people under A+ will probably find it too difficult.

Qyn likes this.
  10. NAXEHT

NAXEHT

It costs peanuts and offers something to everyone who gets it, regardless of skill level. No doubts about purchasing it.

Hygrade B, oneloops and Qyn like this.
  11. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

What I'm seeing is that the skill level to get diamond (ie. better than Hamilton) is that you have to be better than your average guy who can get gold in circuit challenges.

I have done gold on all current challenges.... by the skin of my teeth on Nurburgring Spa Le Mans Willow Springs and those difficult tracks so I think getting diamond is above my ability... or more correctly, my perseverance level.

I'm ok with a monthly track gold challenge but this is too much.

Qyn likes this.
  12. AlanH49

AlanH49

The obviously shouldn’t change the times. But maybe offer a larger credit reward for Gold times. That’s a level most decent drivers can achieve. Diamond is verging on Alien territory on some tracks. Particularly without a wheel.

I was always going to buy this DLC to support PD for their excellent updates. But I’ve been surprised just how addictive it is to keep bettering your times. It feels worthwhile to put the hours in.

I really hope PD and Hamilton add more tracks in the future (free of charge). As current pricing really is at the limit of what’s acceptable for the amount of content you get. More tracks would also bring more customers in who don’t yet see the value proposition.

Qyn likes this.
  13. Dogwolf77

Dogwolf77

Totally worth it. It’s the price of a rather low quality cigar. In the US, it wouldn’t even cover lunch at McDonald’s.

Hamilton should be Sir Hamilton! If the queen would allow it.

I want to add; there are hundreds of professional drivers in GT that make up the body of serious drivers. I would love to see more participation from experts like Alonzo or Dale Jr.
    They’re present, not accounted for.

ynot, Qyn and seadog777 like this.
  14. doblocruiser

doblocruiser

Totally worth it! A shame though the car is terrible to drive and the Sauber is only used ones.

ynot, Qyn and banckzy like this.
  15. seadog777

seadog777 Premium

Worth every cent, cost less than a couple of (designer) coffees! Great fun, very addictive. I stand no chance of the Cr. 100,000,000 and I think gold is beyond me. But with practice, watching LH's ghost laps (to see where he brakes etc.) and Circuit Experience (albeit different car!) you never know what could happen in a year or two! :cheers:

Dogwolf77, ynot, Qyn and 8 others like this.
  16. Mistah_MCA

Mistah_MCA Premium

Pros:
    - The payout, even if going for all gold, is AWESOME.
    - Credit cap increases to 100m if all challenges have a gold medal.
    - You get to learn how to navigate through the track.
    - A good challenge for players to tackle.
    - Bragging rights whenever you beat Hamilton's time.
    - 120m+ credits if you diamond every challenge, which means you can finally get your hands on some of those 20m babies, or finally build an army of 500,000 Fiat 500 F.

Cons:
    - Some challenges are insanely hard. See: Big Willow.
    - You can't punt Hamilton.

TLDR: You should get it.

17. daan

daan Moderator

I've added a poll.

Qyn, Mistah_MCA, NAXEHT and 4 others like this.
  18. Highlandor

Highlandor

Sorry everyone but I have to disagree and say this is just PD doing what they do best - and that's 'taking the piss'.

£6.50 to have a go at winning 100+m credits, ummmm, nope.

After putting up with GT5 prologue, the nightmare that was GT5, the absolute joke that was GT6 and now Esports prologue for the PS4, PD should be showing a bit of gratitude to their long suffering supporters - how about giving us the 125m credits for free?

Of course not, why should PD show a bit of gratitude to their long standing supporters, you know what, let's try to rinse some more cash out of them....

A few weeks ago I got a brand new, sealed copy of Battlefield 5 for £14.99 off a large national retailer, now PD wants me to pay £6.50 (nearly half of what I paid for a full game) for a chance of getting a load credits and cars we already got (or very similiar variations of)?

We have had to grind incessantly for months to get most of the 15-20m credit cars, now we have to grind (for what is going to be extremely difficult for 90-95% of players to achieve) another challenge and have to pay for this 'pleasure'.

Ohhhhhhh hells no......and once again....PD are taking the piss and showing they really don't understand (or care about) they're long standing (and suffering) supporters...

Suck my plumbs Kaz.
    I'm off to the £14.99 Pacific to smack people over the head with a shovel :tup: :idea: :tup: - now that is value for money :bowdown:

Sharpie likes this.
  19. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

Unpopular comment incoming.

I went with no, as looking at this objectively, this is paying for time trials.

I understand that PD have given a lot of content away FOC, however if you put that aside and consider if any other dev had for this out as DLC people would be up in arms.

Codies have quite rightly been taken to task for recycling content as paid DLC, and I personally see this as offering even less value.

GTPVenomZombie, Sharpie, Qyn and 7 others like this.
  20. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

I would say that although this seems like a "Paid DLC time trails with Hamilton" I feel like the valiant attempt to overturn the economy is kind of strange to me... total pool is $120 mil.?

They are kind of acknowledging how silly the price of classic cars is and yet its held behind a very very skill barrier.

If you want to look at how much they charged for credits in GT6 then the price is actually very small. Sure you have to work for it and many wont make it.

I also think there's two ways to look at this DLC... if you look at in isolation then there's some issues.

However if you look at it as a price for paying for 2yrs of free DLC then it becomes more acceptable.

Qyn, sirjim73 and AlanH49 like this.
  21. AlanH49

AlanH49

The older physics build of this DLC does nicely highlight how GT Sport’s physics have improved. Cars today much more detailed and compliant in the physics department. The Merc almost feels like a sled in this DLC by comparison.

Qyn likes this.
  22. F4H Super GT

F4H Super GT Premium

It took me 3 and a half hours the first time to get all diamonds. 1 hour 45 minutes the second time whilst streaming.

I really enjoyed this DLC to be honest. It's only time trialling which you could just do in the single player mode anyway but doing it directly against a 6x F1 champion was a nice touch.

For those who are put off by the difficulty. To me, that's the exact reason you should buy it. I learned a lot about how to improve my technique and time trialling ability from this DLC. It's about time we had some harder challenges - too many games these days hand you everything on a plate.

I loved it and would 100% buy it again if I had to.

23. AlanH49

AlanH49

Codemasters where charging for stages and cars they chose to remove from the game. The Hamilton DLC is more akin to cosmetic DLC. Some will pay for it. But it’s not necessary.

I do hope we get an update to the DLC with added Time Trials for Spa, Fuji, Red Bull, Laguna Seca etc. That I feel would justify the full price.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Qyn and sirjim73 like this.
  24. doblocruiser

doblocruiser

We could say that PD finally went full Dark Souls again :scared:

Mistah_MCA and AlanH49 like this.
  25. serlemke

serlemke Premium

I have not played it much yet, but bought more as a support for the game as we get so much for free over and over.

Qyn, ProjectF, AlanH49 and 3 others like this.
  26. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

Well Forza did the amazingly neat trick of removing cars that were included in say FOrza 6 base game and then moving them to the FOrza 7 DLC car pack! Innovation!

Most companies have done much much worse than PD.

I disagree with the 'splitting the user base argument'... if you put out weak DLC that half the user base doesnt want to buy then that's on the company, not the user.

Let's go overboard in an example and just say that PD released a "Classic Track Pack" including some your favourites like Grand Valley Autumn Ring Trial Mountain SSR7 Eiger Matterhorn Hong Kong New York Complex String Seattle R246 Cita di Aria... and they charged something high like $39.95... you'd buy it anyway.

Microsoft have proven that given compelling DLC with high prices,,, people will buy it anyway.

I dont like Hotwheels or Lego but there's something there that really grabbed the peoples' attention. There's no reason why PD cant grab audience with what they already own the licensing to.

ProjectF and seadog777 like this.
  27. opelgt1969

opelgt1969 Premium

I think it would be better if it had added a documentary with some facts like: How long and how many tries it took LH to get these times. The specs and settings of his car. The game specs when he did the TT. A video of each TT to watch so we could see where he takes advantage of track limits (not checked this might be in game stupid me haven't looked real hard for this). Also would like to tune the cars to what I like not what PD likes. Anyone else got any ideals that they would like to have?

AlexDB9 likes this.
  28. Famine

Famine Administrator

Then let's say that the next FIA official series starts with a race at Grand Valley, but most people don't have it...

This is what "splitting the user base" means - it creates two (or more) populations, where one (the largest) has none of the DLC and can no longer take part, and one (the smallest) has all of it and is the only one that can continue to take part.

The FIA races would become a ghost town, where you'd literally have to pay the $40 to be able to continue to take part in FIA, and these events become pay-to-attend. They'd end up with D-ranked drivers qualifying simply through being one of the three people in their country that's bought the DLC, and the live events become a joke as the four morons who qualified by buying the track pack plough through everyone in turn one, and the decent guys wonder what the point even is any more.

This is why you won't see paid car/track packs.

29. Akwaaba

Akwaaba

I wish that the GT3 Mercedes was nicer to drive, but other than that i think that this a fairly well planned and executed DLC.

It will force me to learn the Green Hell - a track I usually avoid.
    Having 4 tiers of awards works well, with generous payouts. Unsurprisingly a 6 time world champion, who plays racing games is pretty quick. But at least I can learn his lines by following his lap, and can hope to get quicker. But DR A should get diamond, DR B might be able to get golds and so on.

It is a little more expensive than I expected, but also far more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

I hope they release a part two, with 10 more tracks

30. seadog777

seadog777 Premium

Yes, it's there - each race has a "ghost replay" which is LH putting his foot down and you can see the telemetry. Just started to watch him do the Ring in 5.40.6xx and gave up as felt seasick! Amazing!

sirjim73 and SmokeyMR2 like this.