Lewis Hamilton Will Continue to Drive for Mercedes-AMG Petronas Through 2020

Correction, Hamilton is signed to Mercedes through to 2020, no guarantee that he’ll drive both of those seasons. Contracts in F1 don’t mean much - Nico was contracted to drive for Merc for 2017, and we all saw how that played out.

XMDA could still shock us all :P

Correction, Hamilton is signed to Mercedes through to 2020, no guarantee that he’ll drive both of those seasons. Contracts in F1 don’t mean much - Nico was contracted to drive for Merc for 2017, and we all saw how that played out.

XMDA could still shock us all :P
If that were to happen, who do you think takes his place? Who would technically be available (I don't know whose under contract for x amount of time)?

Serious questions. :)

If that were to happen, who do you think takes his place? Who would technically be available (I don't know whose under contract for x amount of time)?

Serious questions. :)
It’s like one of those Dumb and Dumber 1 in a million chances, so its difficult to give a “serious” answer.

However, let’s pretend it happens, and let’s assume it’s done at the same time Nico made his suprise announcement - the important bit there being that basically everyone has signed a contract for next year.

If that were the case, I would think Mercedes’s only move would be to promote one of their young drivers, Ocon or Russell. Again, not knowing the contract situation of either driver for next year, it’s tough to say who would be more likely to get the seat. Experience is definitely on Ocon’s side.

All that said, if something as whacky as Hamilton pulling a Rosberg were to happen, then really anything could happen. Contracts in F1 are a funny thing...they mean a whole lot until they get bought out and suddenly mean nothing.

There’s too many unknowns really. What if Alonso signs to go to Indycar next year, then Hamilton retires....if all the other top drivers are signed to contract Mercedes doesn’t want to buy out, would they entertain the idea of putting Alonso in the seat? They’ve basically said they don’t want him, but if he became the only option and their backs were against the wall, who knows.

Like I said, it’s very unlikely that he’ll retire before the end of his contract, but if it were to happen, answering the question of “who replaces him” becomes more straight forward after more of the silly season gets ironed out.

Assuming he does retire when this contract expires it means he can never beat Schumacher's title record.

Assuming he does retire when this contract expires it means he can never beat Schumacher's title record.
Good point. He could tie it, but not beat it.

After this two year extension, I think his decision to keep going or not will depend on where Merc is at with the 2021 regs. Also depends how the next two years go. If they go really well, I could see him staying. If things unravel, I could see him retiring.

I’ve no doubt. But I think Ferrari & Red Bull are thenonly real theats to stopping Lewis winning every other title, rather than Bottas.

Red Bull is very hard to predict. The Honda Power choice could result in a big fail and Mclaren all over again... But what I really hope for is for new regulations that will bring all the teams closer together. Watching Hamilton climbing back to a podium position was like watching a Herbie movie.

That Mercedes is so much faster then the rest of the grid.

Bottas has had a string of bad luck. I am sure he will start to win races in front of hamilton in more then a few occasions.

And last year when his luck wasn't bad? Also Lewis has had bad luck too and yet is still the one on top.

Red Bull is very hard to predict. The Honda Power choice could result in a big fail and Mclaren all over again... But what I really hope for is for new regulations that will bring all the teams closer together. Watching Hamilton climbing back to a podium position was like watching a Herbie movie. That Mercedes is so much faster then the rest of the grid.

I don't see how, the engine actually performs now, doesn't fail every gp or even every other GP and has been solid. And Red Bull have told Honda to basically fodderize STR by allowing them to be a test bed for the rest of the year in efforts to improve for next year.

And last year when his luck wasn't bad? Also Lewis has had bad luck too and yet is still the one on top.

I don't see how, the engine actually performs now, doesn't fail every gp or even every other GP and has been solid. And Red Bull have told Honda to basically fodderize STR by allowing them to be a test bed for the rest of the year in efforts to improve for next year.

I guess european coverage of F1 is different in the US. There are many who believe that if Bottas hadnt been so unlucky he would be leading the rankings in front of hamilton.

I guess european coverage of F1 is different in the US. There are many who believe that if Bottas hadnt been so unlucky he would be leading the rankings in front of hamilton.

Way to assume, I follow coverage around the world, and actually watch Sky coverage for F1. I haven't seen much to say that Bottas would be leading, in fact many pundits before Baku were saying Bottas had to do more. And even after others were still saying that he hasn't been able to challenge like Rosberg was.

RB and Renault won 4 championships back to back and now they are seperating and Torro Rosso had a couple of engine failures in between some collisions of the DNF's they have had so far. Butt I have fond memories of the Mclaren-Honda Mp4/4 so I hope Honda will contend with Ferrari and Mercedes and leave the Renault engineers scratching their heads.

Way to assume, I follow coverage around the world, and actually watch Sky coverage for F1. I haven't seen much to say that Bottas would be leading, in fact many pundits before Baku were saying Bottas had to do more. And even after others were still saying that he hasn't been able to challenge like Rosberg was.

I guess coverage is just different over the world. The fact is he should have won 3 races (Baku, China and Austria), if he werent that unlucky.

Last edited:
Looking at Hamiltons F1 career to date and his averages:

- Wins 29.82%
- Pole positions 34.86%
- Fastest laps 17.43%
- Podiums 56.88%

11 more races to go in 2018 and let's assume '19 and '20 will see 42 races combined. That means Lewis will increase his Grand Prix total number with an additional 53 races, including the German GP this weekend.

He'll end up with 271 Grand Prix and if his averages holds up he will end 2020 with:

Wins 80
Pole positions 94
Fastest laps 47
Podiums 154

Schumacher, in comparison, ended his career with:

Wins 91
Pole positions 68
Fastest laps 77
Podiums 155

Looking at Hamiltons F1 career to date and his averages:

- Wins 29.82%
- Pole positions 34.86%
- Fastest laps 17.43%
- Podiums 56.88%

11 more races to go in 2018 and let's assume '19 and '20 will see 42 races combined. That means Lewis will increase his Grand Prix total number with an additional 53 races, including the German GP this weekend.

He'll end up with 271 Grand Prix and if his averages holds up he will end 2020 with:

Wins 80
Pole positions 94
Fastest laps 47
Podiums 154

Schumacher, in comparison, ended his career with:

Wins 91
Pole positions 68
Fastest laps 77
Podiums 155
And 7 world championships :P

RB and Renault won 4 championships back to back and now they are seperating and Torro Rosso had a couple of engine failures in between some collisions of the DNF's they have had so far. Butt I have fond memories of the Mclaren-Honda Mp4/4 so I hope Honda will contend with Ferrari and Mercedes and leave the Renault engineers scratching their heads.

So what, they won 4 championships during the V8 era after they were allowed to fix issues they had after the engine freeze. STR has had two engine changes that were done when not needed. One during the third gp, and another more recently due to engine upgrades. So to be fair Honda hasn't done bad at all. Especially when compared to last year where they did the equivalent of this years allotment in on GP.

I guess coverage is just different over the world. The fact is he should have won 3 races (Baku, China and Austria), if he werent that unlucky.

And what about Lewis who lost three on bad luck too?

So what, they won 4 championships during the V8 era after they were allowed to fix issues they had after the engine freeze. STR has had two engine changes that were done when not needed. One during the third gp, and another more recently due to engine upgrades. So to be fair Honda hasn't done bad at all. Especially when compared to last year where they did the equivalent of this years allotment in on GP.

And what about Lewis who lost three on bad luck too?
chill dude! I am not attacking anyone. You are in full on defence mode!

chill dude! I am not attacking anyone. You are in full on defence mode!

I'm quite fine, nothing in my post has indicated a defensive, you've some how extrapolated a tone. Just because you pose something and someone challenges it (yet again have to say this), doesn't mean there is animosity between members.

You said Bottas would be a challenger, I've simply disagreed based on facts. I've also agreed with other members stating that the threat to Hamilton is more likely in the form of the two RBR drivers and Vettel.

I'm quite fine, nothing in my post has indicated a defensive, you've some how extrapolated a tone. Just because you pose something and someone challenges it (yet again have to say this), doesn't mean there is animosity between members.

You said Bottas would be a challenger, I've simply disagreed based on facts. I've also agreed with other members stating that the threat to Hamilton is more likely in the form of the two RBR drivers and Vettel.

I understand your views. But i was just sharing an opinion and different pov, based on the premise of Bottas have a bit of luck. In the same gest Verstappen also could be challenging if he didnt crash in Monaco or made that bad overtake in China. The real fact is that Vettel is doing a great and deserves his points.

I understand your views. But i was just sharing an opinion and different pov, based on the premise of Bottas have a bit of luck. In the same gest Verstappen also could be challenging if he didnt crash in Monaco or made that bad overtake in China. The real fact is that Vettel is doing a great and deserves his points.

Which is fine, share away. That however doesn't make it immune to opposing view points. Which is what was given.

As for the Vettel statement, I don't think anyone disagrees he deserves his points, he too has had some bad races, which is why the championship has been so decisive thus far.

What a team, what a strategy, what a pilot. Great drive Lewis! First time in career starting outside 6th and winning the race, and a 1-2 finish for Mercedes at Hockenheim. Incredible.

Back