Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes W08 F1 Car Is Coming to Gran Turismo Sport

• Thread starter MXR_Sparky
  • 510 comments
As with my comment above, I was referring more to instability at steady state mid cornering rather than deceleration/acceleration period. If you just think logically, the wider tyres alone should mean more mechanical grip at low speeds for the newer cars than older ones. Yet a relatively inexperienced youtuber can drive the older car just fine without spinning every corner.
Look, I still don't think you can show a clip of a 2012 F1 car that's now retired and used as a training tool to argue that a modern F1 car should be driveable for a novice, for the following reasons:
1. As already mentioned the drivetrain is completely different now - which also addresses your point about the wider tyres.
2. You don't imagine that demo car has been specifically set-up to be easier to drive? N00by geometry set-up and throttle maps etc? Come on.

Anyway, all the Formula type cars are really weird in GT Sport. W08, Red Bull Jr/Standard, F1500 and gokarts. They weren't perfect in GT5P/GT5/GT6, but they are much more believable. It's disappointing because with every other car GTS physics feel much better than previous GTs.
Totally disagree with you here, absolutely nothing wrong with any of those cars :S

Again, I don't disagree it was tricky to drive at slow speed corners. I'd even concede trickier than it should have been, but it was manageable once you got used to the drivetrain and I'm sure with a set-up it would have been fine.
But to say "it shouldn't drive like that", or "real F1 cars don't behave like that", etc, is factitious.

With respect to all opinions about this W08 here, I want to remind you something about what Gran Turismo is, "Driving is for Everyone", that is one of its slogans. I like other racing games too but I think this game cannot be compared to them. Why some people whining about its behaviour on pre-update to Kaz because of the characteristic of cars on GT itself. This W08 was needed to be tweaked here and there so it could be driven. So if this already fixed car is being thought the opposite; broken, you can tweak it again so it will become harder to drive (again). :)

With respect to all opinions about this W08 here, I want to remind you something about what Gran Turismo is, "Driving is for Everyone", that is one of its slogans. I like other racing games too but I think this game cannot be compared to them. Why some people whining about its behaviour on pre-update to Kaz because of the characteristic of cars on GT itself. This W08 was needed to be tweaked here and there so it could be driven. So if this already fixed car is being thought the opposite; broken, you can tweak it again so it will become harder to drive (again). :)

GT Sport calls itself “the real driving simulator” on the front of its box.

If they’re going to add Formula 1 cars, they need to uphold that slogan.

Sadly, they don’t really come close to it with the W08.

GT Sport calls itself “the real driving simulator” on the front of its box.

If they’re going to add Formula 1 cars, they need to uphold that slogan.

Sadly, they don’t really come close to it with the W08.
I got your point. And I know how it feels that hard effort tweaking the car seems a waste.

Honestly, theres no way the car handled liked the real thing before the update.

If it had they'd have found a way to tune it out or replaced the broken parts :lol:. They can tune almost anything with these so to think they'd leave it handling like that is something I find hard to believe.

Is it too easy now? Who knows. Ask Hamilton. But I still think there will be people flying all over the place in it in gt sport.

Look, I still don't think you can show a clip of a 2012 F1 car that's now retired and used as a training tool to argue that a modern F1 car should be driveable for a novice, for the following reasons:
1. As already mentioned the drivetrain is completely different now - which also addresses your point about the wider tyres.
2. You don't imagine that demo car has been specifically set-up to be easier to drive? N00by geometry set-up and throttle maps etc? Come on.

I'm not disagreeing that a 2012 car is different from 2017 car, but the basic physics principles still stays. Current gen F1 has a lot more mechanical grip compared to the old one. Regen doesn't even come into it because if you read my post properly, I'm talking about mid corner state where the car is at constant speed. No regen, no deployment.

Not denying either that the 2012 car was probably made easier to drive, but you don't think current F1 drivers also want a car that's easy to drive? An easy car to drive is easy to drive fast. Sure they might tolerate a slightly more oversteery setup than a noob, but I bet you they will complain left and right to their engineer if their car spins at 60 km/h mid corner. I don't know why people always assume race cars are a mythical entity that are completely undrivable unless your name is Senna.

If you read AC's SF15-T manual, you would also know that more aggressive MGU-K regen is usually balanced by less aggressive engine braking to avoid the problem of rear axle lock up. Again, not assuming 2015 car is equal to 2017 car, but the basic principle stays.

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/assetto-corsa-ferrari-sf15-t-technical-guide.123938/

Totally disagree with you here, absolutely nothing wrong with any of those cars :S

Again, I don't disagree it was tricky to drive at slow speed corners. I'd even concede trickier than it should have been, but it was manageable once you got used to the drivetrain and I'm sure with a set-up it would have been fine.
But to say "it shouldn't drive like that", or "real F1 cars don't behave like that", etc, is factitious.

Those cars are not as messed up as the W08, but compared to comparable cars in other sims they still feel off. Let's discount the Red Bull cars because they're fictional. The F1500 is way too stiff compared to similar Lotus 98T in AC. The gokart don't even get me started. It feels like you only have 5 degree of steering before you exceed the tyre's slip angle and spin. If you compare to the similar shifter kart in Automobilista it's night and day.

For the record btw, I didn't find the old W08 unmanageable despite its handling foibles. I still won all 3 career mode races on first try without any significant difficulty. I think I only adjusted the gearbox for the settings. Nil driving aids except Weak ABS (because GTS ABS Off is still woeful). Doesn't mean I enjoy treading the needle everytime I come across a hairpin.

Anyway, since neither of us will likely ever drive an F1 car in our lives, by your reasoning this discussion is pointless. Even if we get Hamilton to test it, you still wouldn't get an honest answer because it will be a PD sponsored video.

Case closed. Agree to disagree :)

Look I'm not particularly disagreeing with you. I've already said I concede it was probably harder to drive than it should have been in the circumstances you mention, the only disagreement I had with anything you posted was the 2012 demo car you posted as a response to the Grosjean Baku spin.
Current gen F1 has a lot more mechanical grip compared to the old one. Regen doesn't even come into it because if you read my post properly, I'm talking about mid corner state where the car is at constant speed. No regen, no deployment.
If you downshift, you regen. I'd confidently predict most of the W08 whingers don't know this.

If you read AC's SF15-T manual, you would also know that more aggressive MGU-K regen is usually balanced by less aggressive engine braking to avoid the problem of rear axle lock up. Again, not assuming 2015 car is equal to 2017 car, but the basic principle stays.
MGU-K regen IS engine braking... :confused: so perhaps you could benefit from another read before dishing out the lecture? Again, without reading whatever it is you're referring me to, I can tell you that MGU-K regen is [electronically] balanced by less rear brake pressure, but again if you're not aware of all of this and just go to grab a downshift mid-corner as usual and the car spins, I can see how the "PD's released borken W08" trope can gather momentum - that's literally all I'm saying.

It's very hard for me not to reply to your go kart comments - I love that thing! :confused:

Look I'm not particularly disagreeing with you. I've already said I concede it was probably harder to drive than it should have been in the circumstances you mention, the only disagreement I had with anything you posted was the 2012 demo car you posted as a response to the Grosjean Baku spin.

OK, point taken. Let's ignore the video I posted then.

If you downshift, you regen. I'd confidently predict most of the W08 whingers don't know this.

*sigh* Again you didn't read my post properly. Mid corner state. No accelerating. No braking. Constant speed. No up/downshifts. Constant steering angle. The sum of force vectors acting on the car is zero, unless if you count centripetal force. That's not a situation a racecar hugging the ground with huge slicks should spin.

MGU-K regen IS engine braking... :confused: so perhaps you could benefit from another read before dishing out the lecture? Again, without reading whatever it is you're referring me to, I can tell you that MGU-K regen is [electronically] balanced by less rear brake pressure, but again if you're not aware of all of this and just go to grab a downshift mid-corner as usual and the car spins, I can see how the "PD's released borken W08" trope can gather momentum - that's literally all I'm saying.

Not giving you a lecture. Maybe you should also read the article yourself? For an F1 fan it can be pretty enlightening 👍

Taken from the manual, note bolded parts for emphasis:

In-car Controls
Assetto Corsa’s detailed model of the Ferrari SF15-T allows the virtual driver to manipulate the various configuration settings of the 059/4 PU in much the same way Ferrari’s race drivers do in real life. The default control assignments, and their functions are noted below:

• CTRL+1: MGU-K Re-gen rate. This is covered by 10 settings (0%-100%). This manages how aggressively the MGU-K harvests energy from braking events on the rear axle. With 100% being the most aggressive setting and thus harvesting the most energy into the battery at a given time. Thus, management of this setting can affect the handling of the car in a number of ways:
    • A higher percentage of energy regeneration in the MGU-K will mean for a greater level of retardation upon the rear axle when off throttle (coast) and braking, possibly resulting in entry oversteer. Higher regen will also result in longer braking distances. With the offset being that the internal ERS battery SOC will increase faster based on the higher percentage.
    • A lower percentage of energy regeneration will mean less energy is being charged into the ERS battery for deployment on power. The offset to this is a more precise level of braking control via normal brake balance, and shorter braking distances.
  • CTRL+2: MGU-K Deployment profiles: These are named profiles that define variable rates of MGU-K power output to the rear wheels under power.
  • CTRL+3: MGU-H Mode:This setting controls how the MGU-H operates in conjunction with other PU components:
    • Motor: In this mode the MGU-H will recover energy from exhaust gases and direct this power directly into the MGU-K, thus supplementing overall power output.
    • Battery: In this mode the MGU-H recovers exhaust gases and diverts this energy into the ERS battery to increase the SOC.
  • CTRL+4: Engine Brake (Range 1-13): This setting sets the ECU within the ICU to retain a small percentage of fuel flow to blow onto the diffuser, reducing engine braking from the ICU on coast. This offsets the high level of coast locking on the rear axle that is generated with higher MGU-K regen settings (CTRL+1).
    • Lower settings reduce the level of engine braking and thus reduces retardation from the drivetrain onto the rear axle under coast. This provides easier management of rear axle locking with MGU-K regen and brake balance. Due to the increase in diffuser exhaust flow, a lower setting will also provide additional rear downforce and stability. However, a lower engine brake settings will consume more fuel and thus affect fuel consumption over a stint.
    • Higher settings allow a more conventional drivetrain linkage and thus more retardation to the rear axle from the ICU, this needs to be balanced against MGU-K re-gen settings to provide a comfortable balance for the driver along with suitable fuel consumption numbers.
It's very hard for me not to reply to your go kart comments - I love that thing! :confused:

Have you driven any other sim besides Gran Turismo that has karts in it?

This car is now boring to drive. I used no STM no TC and just ABS and if you just stay on track and not make mistakes then its an easy win on all events.

So that's almost $1.25 mil. for not much work.

*sigh* Again you didn't read my post properly. Mid corner state. No accelerating. No braking. Constant speed. No up/downshifts. Constant steering angle. The sum of force vectors acting on the car is zero, unless if you count centripetal force. That's not a situation a racecar hugging the ground with huge slicks should spin.
I did read your post I'm just not convinced, but happy to leave it at that :)
Not giving you a lecture. Maybe you should also read the article yourself? For an F1 fan it can be pretty enlightening 👍
Taken from the manual, note bolded parts for emphasis:
Still not really sure what you're trying to tell me here? A different game has a different car that allows you to manage rear-axle energy recovery and offset this with a blown diffuser, yet GT doesn't give us this ability so we just have to drive the car as it is (not to mention blown diffusers are banned now - but that's not to say teams aren't still finding ways to circumvent the ban).
Have you driven any other sim besides Gran Turismo that has karts in it?
I've played KartSim at PFI and Buckmore Park, but other than that, no.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure what the specifics of this argument are but the last FIA race to feature this car at Suzuka, I had the traction control at 5 and spinning at that hairpin. I had it at 2 today and didn't spin anywhere on the track due to oversteer over the ~20 laps I did. It was on hard tyres the whole time in that first race, but there was a noticeable difference.

I'm not entirely sure what the specifics of this argument are but the last FIA race to feature this car at Suzuka, I had the traction control at 5 and spinning at that hairpin.

It's pretty much that some people think the car was absolutely perfect as it was before. Some, including me, aren't exactly sharing the same thoughts.

I’ve tried my best with this car. I really want it to be great - because I have VR, but I’m sorry - yes it’s easier to drive, but it’s well off the pace on default setups.

See here:

There’s no way I should be that far off the pace of a 2008 car.

I think I’ve got to just give up with this car sadly.

I’ve tried my best with this car. I really want it to be great - because I have VR, but I’m sorry - yes it’s easier to drive, but it’s well off the pace on default setups.

See here:

Hi! Back in the day I was GTPlanet WRS div1 bronze driver at best.
Now I tested the car with a tune and in 15 minutes broke 1:18.5** at Fuji. The car was with RS tyres and no-full downforce:

Of course, I tried the combo with default setup with RSS tyres and I can see how some people praise the car now. The feel is much better now compared to what it was in its early stages. .. At third lap I threatened the low 1:19s.
So mr. @BrakeCheck101 , don't ditch the car. Learn it. It's a good piece of virtual machinery! :cheers:

Hi! Back in the day I was GTPlanet WRS div1 bronze driver at best.
Now I tested the car with a tune and in 15 minutes broke 1:18.5** at Fuji. The car was with RS tyres and no-full downforce:

Of course, I tried the combo with default setup with RSS tyres and I can see how some people praise the car now. The feel is much better now compared to what it was in its early stages. .. At third lap I threatened the low 1:19s.
So mr. @BrakeCheck101 , don't ditch the car. Learn it. It's a good piece of virtual machinery! :cheers:

That’s still one second slower than Hamilton’s pole time in 2008 which is still at least two, if not three, seconds slower than what the 2017 car should be.

Yes, the car is a lot better to drive, but it’s still far too slow.

That’s still one second slower than Hamilton’s pole time in 2008 which is still at least two, if not three, seconds slower than what the 2017 car should be.

Yes, the car is a lot better to drive, but it’s still far too slow.
Far too slow. Really? You understand that neither you or I are on Hami's level? He is a real life alien. Maybe we should politely ask GTPlanet's aliens how they drive the car in this combo.

Far too slow. Really? You understand that neither you or I are on Hami's level? He is a real life alien. Maybe we should politely ask GTPlanet's aliens how they drive the car in this combo.

Fastest EMEA time at Suzuka for the FIA race yesterday - 1:25.9
Hamilton's 2017 pole lap - 1:27.3

Fastest lap in the 2017 race was a 1:33.1. I've seen races yesterday where the fastest lap was in the 28s.

I did read your post I'm just not convinced, but happy to leave it at that :)

Still not really sure what you're trying to tell me here? A different game has a different car that allows you to manage rear-axle energy recovery and offset this with a blown diffuser, yet GT doesn't give us this ability so we just have to drive the car as it is (not to mention blown diffusers are banned now - but that's not to say teams aren't still finding ways to circumvent the ban).

I've played KartSim at PFI and Buckmore Park, but other than that, no.

A different game that is far better at simulating a complex machinery like this generation's F1 cars. They are from the same year (2017), so should be fairly similar. You mention GT doesn't give us this ability. Well, how do you know it's not already modeled into the physics (like DRS, which we can't control but is there). And if it isn't modeled, then well, you got your answer there. Would you trust a game that leaves out the modeling of the most crucial component of the drivetrain in terms of driving physics?

I saw that Vettel spin at Suzuka's hairpin. Again, I'm not saying F1 cars are completely immune to rotating at low speeds like the post update W08. But it's not as EASY to spin as pre update. You don't see every driver in every car on the verge of spinning every lap at the hairpin. The truth is somewhere in the middle is what I'm trying to say. But you are convinced that pre update W08 is correct.

And since you want to be pedantic, show me a video of Hamilton spinning the W08 at one of the tracks that are also in GT Sport. Under same track conditions. Using same in game settings and same MGU-K/H deployment profile. I bet you can't, because it's impossible to get all those variables exactly the same IRL and in game. So yeah, can't really say the W08 is unstable at low speeds.

I've seen some KartSim footage. It seems like it started as a standalone game but now is a DLC bundle for rF2. If it's any good then you'd know that GTS karts are miles away from reality in terms of driving.

Anyway, I've said all that I want to say on the topic. I don't really want to derail the thread any further. I urge you to spread your horizons and try out other sims and get an idea of how different games portray F1 cars. AC, AMS, PCARS, RRRE, iRacing, F1 2018 to start. I believe that no one game is right, but if you take the average you can see patterns, and GTS' rendition is definitely an outlier.

Over & out.

^Like I mentioned previously, even if the car is completely wrong Lewis will still say good things about it because he's in front of Kaz and the video is going to be posted in the official channel.

I feel like Hamilton is a professional... given the limitations of the TGT, the Ps4 the software itself, this will be as good as it gets. If there's something he doesnt like, he'll make it known... its what he does at Mercedes.

Nothing says they cut the knees of the W08 more than the fact that I have the 5 gold trophies.

I got a few first go and this is the thing... I'm not good with this car and some tracks I'm not too good at.

The St. Croix was a "learn as you go track" - the others just needed perseverance but not more than say 3 goes to get it right. The real world tracks arent too bad.

I dont think my car is even setup all that good, in fact its probably useing bits of the old setup.

ie. cranked max aero. gearbox to 400km/h, no TC, no STM, just std. ABS.

I feel like this car now gives you enough feedback to not use TC. You give it too much power in 2nd gear, you can feel it slither and you catch it.

Its about the only vice. I also feel like I'm not driving the car to the max. I brake too early and I'm in perhaps too high a gear in corners as I'm afraid of the massive electric torque.

I tend to still jump to 2nd gear quick so I dont loop in 1st.

Nothing says they cut the knees of the W08 more than the fact that I have the 5 gold trophies.

I got a few first go and this is the thing... I'm not good with this car and some tracks I'm not too good at.

The St. Croix was a "learn as you go track" - the others just needed perseverance but not more than say 3 goes to get it right. The real world tracks arent too bad.

I dont think my car is even setup all that good, in fact its probably useing bits of the old setup.

ie. cranked max aero. gearbox to 400km/h, no TC, no STM, just std. ABS.

I feel like this car now gives you enough feedback to not use TC. You give it too much power in 2nd gear, you can feel it slither and you catch it.

Its about the only vice. I also feel like I'm not driving the car to the max. I brake too early and I'm in perhaps too high a gear in corners as I'm afraid of the massive electric torque.

I tend to still jump to 2nd gear quick so I dont loop in 1st.

I had trouble with every car to drive it fast around a track. And this car is the first i just lowered and drove it without issues.
For my part, i really love this car. I have it since 3 days now and its good. I feel it really lays on the ground and even with TC on 0 its driveable very fast without major issues on accelerating out of a curve.

maybe they changed something in the updates since the last post here. But i love this car.

See here:

By the looks of it, you have added a lot of extra weight.

GT Sport W08 drives so much better than F1 2017 too yet Codemasters still make F1 games so hopefully GT continues adding F1 cars and Codemasters continue to try and make their games more sim like. The F2007 on GT5P was one of the reasons why I got into playing GT and getting my first FFB wheel, yet to play an official F1 game that feels as good to drive.

I'm not surprised Lewis finds it close to the real thing as going by the Mercedes simulator videos back in 2014, GT Sport looks much more realistic and it's performance is eerily close to the real car with tracks looking super accurate but also having accurate characteristics. May have improved since then but even in 2016, Lewis Hamilton gave a pretty damning assessment of their simulator and maybe a reason why he looked to partner up with PDI for GT, seems only natural a GOAT wanting to hook up with another GOAT.

Back