Licence Test Tips

• Thread starter yeti
  • 31 comments
yeti_c
I tried to search for a topic on this but could only find topics for GT1, 2, 3...

Is there a thread where someone details how to get the best times/golds for each licence test?

If not... then can we make one...

I'll start...

Lesson number 1... (Gotta start somewhere!)

This test is really easy... hold the accelerator fully and once you start gently move into the inside of the course.

For the bends drive on top of the kerbs all the way round and then keep tight to the inside of the track.

The key to this test is to minimise the amount of physical distance that you actually cover throughout the test.

C.

I know the feeling Yeti. I'm working my way back through the tests, after finishing most on bronze. And I can't for the life of me go 1.2 secs faster on the 1st rally stage. :banghead:

I just want to see what all the fuss is about with the BMW M5 concept.

Cheers

Jamie

I have only had time and patince yet for golds in the green and orange (M5 concept!).
I can tell you how I got golds in the harder two lesson (6 and 8); to be the trick in lesson 6 is not breaking in the first corner; just dive at the right time and you get lots of time.
In lesson 8 - with the colt - I had lots of trouble; I finally got gold breaking early and coasting for quite some time (using the inside strip) and getting gently on the trotle to avoid the massive understeer of the mitsu. It must have taken me more that 30 tries though!!!

Now I'm stuck with the JGTC NSX in New York to get all golds in the red section...

Here's a tip then for lesson 13 - shift manual, and redline the sucker as much as possible. That will help you shave off a few secs.

Originally posted by RUI
I have only had time and patince yet for golds in the green and orange (M5 concept!).
I can tell you how I got golds in the harder two lesson (6 and 8); to be the trick in lesson 6 is not breaking in the first corner; just dive at the right time and you get lots of time.
In lesson 8 - with the colt - I had lots of trouble; I finally got gold breaking early and coasting for quite some time (using the inside strip) and getting gently on the trotle to avoid the massive understeer of the mitsu. It must have taken me more that 30 tries though!!!

First post here:
Thanks RUI im glad im not the only one stuck on these tests. i have almost lost my nerve with the Colt test. i got 19.814 at one time. i will try you tips for those two tests though.

Well I got lesson 6 down to 2'28.581. So that's only .581 to knock off to get the gold, and I can then move onto the Orange sections. I just hate that nasty Suzuki Alto Works box, it's just sooooo ******* slow.

Any tips would be much appricated as I'm a much balder person than I was before I started this lesson. I must be on go number 40.............no joke.

Cheers

Jamie

Originally posted by j8mie
Well I got lesson 6 down to 2'28.581. So that's only .581 to knock off to get the gold, and I can then move onto the Orange sections. I just hate that nasty Suzuki Alto Works box, it's just sooooo ******* slow.
Jamie

Take the 1st turn early on the 1st lap at full throttle, also get a really good start (rev around 5,000). Take the 2nd corner on every lap as a 1/2 grip 1/2 drift so that you can come out of the corner and face straight into the chicane (try to take it as a semi-straight line), and as for the last corner turn in early and exit fast to gain the max speed.

Hope that helps, it got me a gold of 2'27.356.

every one seems to be having trouble with the Alto Works. try not to be too harsh with the steering and always try to take the first corner as tight as possible and try to carry as much speed as possible in and out if you get it perfect you will just miss the barrier on the exit and carry your speed up to the second corner. I always watch the help videos over and over and take mental notes on what they are doing, that always helps me. Ive got golds on all of the green blue and red but the last first orange one with the JGTC NSX on the New York track is really starting to naff me off!!!!!:mad:

Originally posted by j8mie

I just want to see what all the fuss is about with the BMW M5 concept.

You'll get the M5 for the orange section not the green. For green you get the two man Triathlon race Car. Very odd thing with one long long long gear.

I agree with sprite on the rally stage, momentum is key as car is underpowered, don't touch the sides, you will lose loads of time if you don't line up the chicane and give it full throttle till the last bend. Don't overcook the last bend, steer gently and feed the throttle in. Average speed round there shouldn't drop below 60km.

Cheers 4 the advise folks.

eddieturner - I've almost got the first corner sorted, I only ever just clip the exit of the 1st corner as my car slides out a touch :banghead: I've also got the start sussed at bang on 5000rpm, and the chicane is no problem so long as i don't drift too much through the 2nd corner. But I think I'm losing the time on the final corner. The line shows a later entry, with a couple of easing off points. I drive bang on over that line, and I can't get close enough. I might try your early entry tactic.

Tacet Blue - My aim is to get all the golds, so I just started at the begining as I thought they might be easier. Stupid really, because i moved onto the orange as I was getting no where fast on lesson 6, and I've done all the orange, apart from the first two orange ones, which both use slow cars. It seems that I can't drive a slow car, I need more speed :lol:

Cheers

Jamie

yep that last one in the green section is a pain but stick with it and you will eventually get it. on the last bend dont follow the line exact but try and under cut it slightly and take a slightly tighter on the apex, but let off slightly and then gentley increase the speed so as not to slide the car and should exit in a straighter line and have more speed. took me a full day to nail it but eventually did.

Its not a hard test, but my top tip for lesson 23 would have to be

Stick it in second, then hold the throttle. let it hit the rev limiter during the 3-2-1 and then just keep holding it! Don't forget to knock it into third. But you can't fail to get gold, even with your eyes closed. Seriously, I can tape the button down and still get 9.30

Originally posted by Tacet_Blue

Stick it in second, then hold the throttle. let it hit the rev limiter during the 3-2-1 and then just keep holding it! Don't forget to knock it into third. But you can't fail to get gold, even with your eyes closed. Seriously, I can tape the button down and still get 9.30

:lol:

Spot on dude. That worked a threat.

Cheers

Jamie

Originally posted by Tacet_Blue

Is that the Viper drag test? I did the same thing - heck, that's an old Gran Turismo 1 trick!

That Viper test was easy anyway... just be a little gentle with the button at the start and as soon as it's got some grip hold it down.

I'm also stuck on lesson 6. First time I'd fired it up on my PS2 last night and I ripped through the first 5 with gold first time in each and then lesson 6 I got a bronze (Couldn't be arsed to complete it though so moved on) The next one is a pain in the arse as well... who designed the worlds boxiest car? God that thing is a POS!!

Then I got Golds on the rest of Orange and Bronze on first Blue (Takata Dome round New York) and golds on the rest of blue. Some golds some not through Red and halfway through Purple at the mo (Not enough time to continue as I'm now at work!!)

So Lessons that seriously need tips are...

Lesson 6, Lesson 7? (The DB Box thing) & Lesson 13? (Takata NY)

The rest I reckon are pretty much beat your ghost things.

Although I'm not looking forward to trying to get Gold on the F1 test.

C.

Lesson 6 Tips:

• You shouldn't need to use your brakes
  • Use manual transmission
  • Feather the throttle when you need to slow down
  • Keep a smooth and flowing line
  • You should only need 3rd gear
  • If you have the driving line on (the blue dashed line), follow it but cut the corner on the final turn

Originally posted by jizzmirk
Lesson 6 Tips:

• You shouldn't need to use your brakes
  • You should be able to go full throttle through first turn
  • Use manual transmission
  • Feather the throttle when you need to slow down
  • Keep a smooth and flowing line
  • You should only need 3rd gear in NTSC, or 2nd gear in PAL
  • If you have the driving line on (the blue dashed line), follow it but cut the corner on the final turn

Hi ****,

The PAL version's Alto has different gear ratio's, so I edited your tips above. Also added a point about full throttle through turn 1.

Lesson 7 Tips: The dB is just a box on wheels, and is very slow, so you need to work on keeping your speed up. After several go's I finally got this one.

1. Make sure you rev your car (box) at about 5000rpm to get a clean getaway.
2. Just after the first left hairpin, you go through a fast right hander under the Dunlop bridge (I think). Make sure you don't lift off here, otherwise you'll lose loads of speed down to the next right hand hairpin. When turning in, aim for the whole of the kerb/grass on the inside (it might seem like you are heading for the grass, and your turning in too early). With the speed you go through the corner, it will push you to the outside, and avoiding the grass and any chance of failing.
3. The final bend is easy enough, but if you get it wrong, you'll lose alot of time. Just follow the line, and remember to not turn too sharp to begin with. The corner tightens up later on, so be ready for this, and watch out for the grass on the exit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jamie

P.S. I got the M5, thanks for the help guys. I'm now making my way through the blue section :)

I swear the dB is the slowest car in the game, mainly because it's shaped like a boox.

One thing I found usefull this time around doing the tests, was turning that damn 'supposed' best line thing off. It's the R3 or L3 button (Just click the left or right analog stick down).

Lesson 7 Tips:

• There really isn't much to this test
  • Clean driving is important - the optimum racing line is needed for the gold
  • Important turn - #6 - it's easy to scrub a lot of speed here or to slow down too much (90 is a good speed)
  • Important turns #11 and 12 - Because this turn is so wide, it's kinda tricky to navigate at the fasted speed possible (105 - 110 is a good speed)

Thanks Arwin

Did you chronicle the differences in the 4 versions on your site? I've been kinda wrapped up into the main GT4 forum after playing it at E3.

P.S. I just sent you a PM...

Yeah!! Nailed the Dirt track course with half a second to spare and then nailed the db with about a second to spare!!

All golds upto the Takata Dome New York race!! Which I've got Silver then all golds upto the first Red where I gave up golding them... but will attempt to get Gold on them in the next 6 months!!

The M5 is pretty sweet although a little heavy! I do however like the Toyota Triathlon car!! That little thing is sweet!

C.

PS Cheers for the tips on 6 & 7... they really helped a lot.

can anyone give me a hint on how to get gold with the elise on the testcourse?
this car really makes me mad, anytime you think you´re on a good lap it suddenly goes into a nice little spin........
+30 tries and stopped counting!

Has anyone started on an all golds guide for prologue yet? I need help with the dirt trial in the green section. ANy help appreciated.

I'll be lucky if I get all golds in the green section!!! I find golds too difficult really. Using a pass and move on system I only have 3 flukey golds in my portfolio. I'm not saying I won't try but I can be fairly sure I won;t manage all golds for purple. But hang on, there are five license classes, and four unlockable cars, so does the purple set not have a prize??? There must be for all the work involved!!!

As for the elise on beginers course (don't say test course it gives me nightmares of that 11km long hellhole on GT3) it takes some doing (it took me 10+ tries) but you just have to take it slowly and carefully for a bronze. If you're going for gold, just keep at it, perfecting how you set the car up for each corner. It does take time.

EDIT: Oh no! another double post. Sorry guys!

Originally posted by Polyphony001
. But hang on, there are five license classes, and four unlockable cars,

Are there only four? I've got spaces for 5 bonus cars.

I've got 32 Gold, but I don't think I'll ever get one in the slalom course on the red licence.

yazza there are some tips on lesson 6 earlier in this thread.

They might help show where time can be lost, but I had to do that little ****er of a course for hours before I got gold!

pratice practice practice....

You do get the Triathlon car for all green, so its not a bad reward.

Latest Posts

Back