License test Hell

• Thread starter disgracian
  • 117 comments
I am currently trying to get all gold medals in the B Licence test so I can spend my $18,000 on upgrades, and I'm up to the second last test (B-7) and I cannot do it. I consistently come within a few tenths or one-hundredth of a second and that's it. I have three times all within 0.009 of the required time for the gold medal and I'm about ready to put my fist through the TV.

I know there's not a whole lot that can be done with this test because they are only light bends that require a short lift of the throttle, and I'm following that racing line and trying to improve on it, braking earlier, later, shorter, longer, everything I can think of but to no avail.

I'm using the regular PS2 controller, not a steering wheel set. I just need a fraction of a second here or there. I've come too far to give up now and buy my first car.

Cheers,
D.

Six hours after I started B-7, I finally conquered. I have no idea what I did differently, only that I must have somehow done it better. Oh well. One more to go...

Cheers,
D.

And let me guess, when you finally got it, you got it with a healthy margin. That's the way it usually worked for me. All Gold with a DS2 controller is doable in GT3 (I did it) - in GT4 I don't think it is (well, not for me, anyway).

Congratulations on beating it! It's been a while since I fired up GT3 - which test is B-07?

All Gold with a DS2 controller is doable in GT3 (I did it) - in GT4 I don't think it is (well, not for me, anyway).
Add automatic gears to the mix and you'll get the combination I used in every GT game to get all golds... :P

- R -

Add automatic gears to the mix and you'll get the combination I used in every GT game to get all golds... :P

- R -
:lol: You've got excellent steering technique, then!

And let me guess, when you finally got it, you got it with a healthy margin. That's the way it usually worked for me. All Gold with a DS2 controller is doable in GT3 (I did it) - in GT4 I don't think it is (well, not for me, anyway).

*waves thumbs*

Six hours after I started B-7, I finally conquered. I have no idea what I did differently, only that I must have somehow done it better. Oh well. One more to go...

Cheers,
D.

Remember this: the license tests are difficult, but at some point or another, we've all been there!

Back when i was a newb in GT1 world, i used to get frustrated with B3 (Honda del Sol making the first turn at Deep Forest). I tried and tried and tried. What kept me going is: i knew many before me had conquered this test...therefore, I knew i could do it!

You probly already know this but watch those demos to assist you. There's also a way in GT3 to get the demo ghost to drive along with you as you do the test...at least i'm pretty sure there is. (help me out guys if i'm wrong)

Personally, i like to get a halfway decent run (silverish, but not too silverish) save the ghost, then use that ghost as inspiration to head towards gold in future runs. I've found that if i save a great run, i'll get frustrated trying to top it, know what i mean?

That's good advice regarding the ghost, Parnelli. I can certainly attest to the frustration of seeing my ghost keep pulling away from me after I think I've really nailed a corner.

It's also quite heartening to see that all golds with the standard controller isn't an easy feat as one FAQ I read claimed. It also helps that Duke has been there before and claims it's doable. But it's going to be another day or two before I go back. Controlling a more powerful RWD car after so many hours in an underpowered FWD was proving too frustrating. But I really want that free Mazda.

Cheers,
D.

That's good advice regarding the ghost, Parnelli. I can certainly attest to the frustration of seeing my ghost keep pulling away from me after I think I've really nailed a corner.
I almost always turn the ghost off - I find it MUCH more distracting than helpful, particularly when you're down close to the target time and you're spending a lot of the run overlapping with it.
It's also quite heartening to see that all golds with the standard controller isn't an easy feat as one FAQ I read claimed. It also helps that Duke has been there before and claims it's doable.
It's very doable, because in the grand scheme of the GT world, I'm an average driver at best. I say this not to put you down further, but to assure you that we average joes can do it.
But it's going to be another day or two before I go back. Controlling a more powerful RWD car after so many hours in an underpowered FWD was proving too frustrating. But I really want that free Mazda.
👍
Free cars are the best cars! Here's a couple tips I found helpful:

1) Use the analog sticks for both steering and throttle/brake. I'm a lousy button masher. I found it much easier (and more natural) to modulate the controls with the dual analogs.

2) Remember, there's more than one way to beat the tests. In the early tests, the blue/red line is the transcription of the demo gold run (all of which were actual runs by PD staffers). But not everybody's driving style is identical. Don't concentrate too hard on matching their line and brake points exactly. Just use them as a general guideline.

3) Get silvers and come back to it, particularly in the upper licenses. Take breaks (though I understand you want the prize car). I didn't get all gold until after I finished the game 100% (all gold licenses is not required for 100% - you just need to abtain all licenses).

Good luck!

See if i don't use a ghost, i have nothing to judge against...i have no way of knowing how well i'm doing (without taking a risky glance at the time). But if i do a great run ..well, i already mentioned i'll trip out trying to top it. :ouch:

I totally agree with Duke. Some people can do well with the buttons, but for me the analog sticks provide better overall control, even tho the buttons are touch-sensitive.

Also, taking breaks is highly recommended. Can't tell you how many times i've done a test. Silver Silver Silver. Then i'll come back to it and NAIL AN INSTANT GOLD with time to spare! :D

No offense taken, Duke. I've only had a PS2 for about 2 weeks and I've only played GT4 a couple of times before, which was what convinced my wife to get a PS2 of her own. I won't expect to be anything more than an average player even with a lot more experience. Regarding your tips:

1) Are you sure analog throttle works for GT3? I know it does in GT4 but in my copy of GT3 the right analog stick does nothing.

3) I'm not interested in the frustration of getting all golds in all the license tests, just the first one so I can get that free Mazda. I'll be more than happy with all bronzes from now on.

While I do find the ghost sometimes distracting, it saves a lot of time by knowing exactly when your current lap is a lost cause and starting again.

Cheers,
D.

1) Are you sure analog throttle works for GT3? I know it does in GT4 but in my copy of GT3 the right analog stick does nothing.
It definitely can be set that way using the Options menu. In GT4 it's the default to work, even though you can't actually SET it to work that way, it just does. In GT4 you might have to set the Player 1 control scheme to use right analog for gas/brake.
3) I'm not interested in the frustration of getting all golds in all the license tests, just the first one so I can get that free Mazda. I'll be more than happy with all bronzes from now on.
Yeah. And I agree, the free Miata is the best way to start GT3.

Once you get the prize car, spend some of your credits on a set of the hardest racing tires, and head directly to the Roadster Enduro. It's at Apricot Hill, and the Miata is very at home there. It will take you about an hour and a quarter to run, it's a blast, and you get a good purse for it. You also have a 25% chance of winning an F1 car, which can be sold for about 250 kilocredits.

On the racing hards, you can pit once at the halfway point (lap 20). There is one guy who will run away from you at the start, but ignore him. He pits about every third lap, and you'll have him a lap down by the end of the race.

I find this enduro to be one of the most relaxing and enjoyable races in all of GT.
While I do find the ghost sometimes distracting, it saves a lot of time by knowing exactly when your current lap is a lost cause and starting again.
Yeah, that is true, but for me mostly it just intereferes. Have fun!

The Roadster Enduro is my 3rd favorite...i personally like buying the weakest Miata (118 hp) then sticking sport tires on it! The first 10 laps or so i'll be battling the crowd. Eventually i'll break away but the fastest MX5 always catches up! Even towards the end of the race, it's a close match since my tires last a few laps more but the MX5 has more speed.

This last one isn't coming as easily as I'd hoped. I'm still about .3 of a second off the gold time. Any time I break away from my ghost, I'm guaranteed to understeer off the next corner or lose it on the last left-hander onto the final straight. It's very frustrating.

Duke, does your approach have any noteworthy departures from the suggested line & throttle? I don't know if it's my ineptitude or not, but I just can't attack the corners like that line does, instead I seem to have a choice of running wide and smacking the wall, or backing off and losing time.

Cheers,
D.

Please refresh my memory on which B-08 is (I assume that's the test you mean)?

It involves a 300HP Nissan Skyline, and a section of track that winds through rock, then you have a left-hand turn through a tunnel into a long downhill straight. I've lost so much confidence in myself because of this that my times are actually getting worse rather than better.

Cheers,
D.

That one had me stumped for awhile, then i finally got it. As you know by now..the trick is to start turning into these blind turns before you can see where to go. Avoid any contact (pretty tough). Also, i think if you rev the Skyline about halfway up the tach in first (4,000 rpms) you can get a better launch than if you just floor it...i'll have to get back to you on this later...i'm about to tackle the Rome Enduro #4. :D

I just ran 43.054 (42.800 is the requirement) before. I was a little bit sideways around the first right-hander (the one you need to brake for) so perhaps there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

Most of the time however I still either go too slow around bends and my ghost leaves me for dead, or I go too hard and understeer into a wall. That happy medium eludes me.

UPDATE: 42.873! This game is evil.

Cheers,
D.

OK, that's the second quadrant of Trial Mountain. An interesting and fun run. First and foremost, if you're getting frustrated, take a little break.

If memory serves, I think I launched off the rev limiter in 1st gear for that one. The AWD Skyline digs in pretty well. If that causes too much wheelspin, launch off the rev limiter in 2nd gear.

The key to this license test is to brake early, coast a bit at turn-in, and take a somewhat exaggerated late-apex line. The Skyline is an understeery pig on the power and brakes (no idea why people like them so much). Of particular importance are the left hander through the first tunnel and, (even more important) the hard right that follows. Try to go through the first tunnel with the left tires on the rumble strip, and don't let the car track out too far to the right when the suspension unloads over that little hummock. Get back to the left and brake hard for the sharp right, but turn in a little late at a coast. Once you see daylight up the canyon, accelerate and unwind the steering to clip a late apex near the righthand wall.

If you get the apexes right, the turns really open up. As Parnelli says, sometimes you have to turn in blind, particularly at the second tunnel. For that one, enter the tunnel way over to the right, and about halfway in, tap the brakes and steer to just miss the left hand wall at the tunnel exit. Right up against the left-hand retaining wall between the second and third tunnels, in the wide yellow-striped band, is a nice on-camber pocket that you can use to bank the car through the turn. Squeeza back into the juice so that the car tracks out shallowly enough to make it into the third tunnel entrance without needing a big lift to make it in.

Hope this helps - it's been a little while.

Thanks for the advice, Duke. It's pretty much what I've been doing but it's very reassuring to know I wasn't doing completely the wrong thing.

The first bend through the tunnel I have down to a fine art now, and the subsequent hard right isn't too bad despite a tendency for some sideways action. I actually tend to struggle more with the next right-hander. I either get the car off balance trying to keep as far to the outside as I can, or I hit the rocky wall while I appear to be right on top of the blue line. It's critical because it sets up the approach to the last sweeping left through the tunnel onto the straight.

My last run has given me hope though. I only need to take 73/1000ths of a second off.
Cheers,
D.

There are a few things you can do to improve on the Demo line. First go father left than the line at the bottom of the hill after the first tunnel. Don't shift down to second gear, this will allow you to carry a little more speed thrugh the sharp right hander. Make sure you hit the curb at the apex of this turn. Do not touch the rock. At the next ritht hander get on the curb and stay on it through the most of the turn. this will keep you to the right side of the road and line you up for the second tunnel. I let up silighty as I enter this tunnel and aim for the left side of the exit. If you just barley miss the wall you will be close to the apex of this turn and will come out close to the right side of the entrance to the last tunnel. Do not go onto the paving stones as they somehow reduce your speed. It took me an hour to get gold on this test. I now have all 8 of my leader boad times over the Demo time using this line. Parnelli is correct about the start also you must have your RPM's close to the redline (not over) to get a good start. This is worth quite a bit of time.

My last run has given me hope though. I only need to take 73/1000ths of a second off.
I have two words for you: Camaro. Seattle. That one is the hair-tearing, controller-flinging, curse-hurling, PS2-smashing license test of them all to gold. But you'll get that one eventually, too.
There are a few things you can do to improve on the Demo line.
+ rep for that post. Good detail! Unfortunately I'm a little out of date on the GT3 stuff. Thanks for filling in.

I have two words for you: Camaro. Seattle. That one is the hair-tearing, controller-flinging, curse-hurling, PS2-smashing license test of them all to gold. But you'll get that one eventually, too

VERY much agreed. I just couldn't get that one right...then when i finally got the clumsy Camaro to gold, i immediately golded it a second time! How about that?? Then about a month later....i accidentally ERASED TAHT MEMORY CARD! Oooh was i pissed. :banghead: I got gold on All the A's and half the IB's...:mad: I refuse to go thru that torture again just to pacify my ego.

My Skyline hath turbo-boost,
And V-spec options and four-wheel drive,
Yet it walloweth around in a manner like unto a '59 Caddy.
And, despite thine exhortations,
It understeereth not only when it doth accelerate,
But when it doth decelerate also.

LOLopolis! Best laugh I've had all week.

Cheers,
D.

Okay I'm back for a bit, so I'll try and shed some light. the B8 License test is quite hard but basically it's about lucking out really and just turning into a blind corner. Try not to lift off unless you need it. Also make sure you get your shifting points correct.

Now, I am far from the best driver, but I definitely found, as I say in my page (the one without the poem) that, if you are on track for gold, you must lift off just as you enter the second tunnel, in order to avoid losing too much time around that corner. I.e. if the early part of your run was too slow, you will not be going fast enough to need to lift off, but, if you got the first part of the run right you will be going faster and so will need to lift off.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2004-01-24.html

And, sorry, as I say, I don't think I met the PAL gold standard. :(

Move to...
http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/diary/2004-01-24.html

Last edited:
Now, I am far from the best driver, but I definitely found, as I say in my page (the one without the poem) that, if you are on track for gold, you must lift off just as you enter the second tunnel, in order to avoid losing too much time around that corner. I.e. if the early part of your run was too slow, you will not be going fast enough to need to lift off, but, if you got the first part of the run right you will be going faster and so will need to lift off.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/2004-01-24.html

And, sorry, as I say, I don't think I met the PAL gold standard. :(

^ I use the PAL version and got gold in it. It's really tough as yeah you need to lift off, but it's not as much as you think. The final section is key, the blind corner into the tunnel is probably the most important part followed by the first right hand turn towards (in the beginning).

Latest Posts

Back