Votes: 114 82.0%
  • The experience one

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I don't really care about it

Votes: 18 12.9%

• Total voters
Spain
Melilla
I have just played GT4 and a issue came to my mind, so I decided to start this thread. In GT4 and in fact in all GT except GT5 the cutoff for the differents competitions and events was the license you have while in GT5, as we all know, this cutoff consists of your experience level. I personally think the license system was way deeper and funner, what do you think about it?

PD: Sorry if my english is not as accurate as it would be desirable

A good combination of both could be great but i voted for the licences because even without having the same important factor as had in GT4, it was the first thing that i did in the game before starting with the other stuff. (gold on everything in the first week)

So yes, they should bring back the relevance of having licence tests, if not why having it.

Other option could be some kind of school (they did it in GT5 with the Nascar, Rally, AMG and the other special events) but with proper open wheeler cars (Formula 3000/BMW/FORD/Renault...etc) and then use the cars or RM´s and whatever PD include in the game. (hopefully more GT cars, LMP,Rally and F1)

Licences of course!

I agree with combination of both, something like license test unlock circuit races, levels unlock special events. I like the new leveling system, do not want to see that go, but I don't like how license test count for nothing but prize cars in GT5.

Would someone care to explain what made the licensing system so great in games prior to GT5? Everyone always talks about how it was better, but I don't really understand why.

The licensing one. Without it, you could just grind the seasonals all day and raise your XP level without having to go into a license test. In previous GT games, if you don't have a license then you don't race, it's that simple.

Requires driving skill rather than just repeating races in an overpowered car to level up.

Edit: tree'd

i think there should be both in the game at once, but i actually personally think u should get more to leveling than just unlocking a new event or possible car to buy.

like even if it was a little prize like a free random paintjob token or 1 free body repair ticket so you don't have to spend 500,000 to repair some cars.

In terms of the cut off system i think you should need a license to go up the events ect amateur, professional, expert, endurance, but then need say a certain level to do events in that league setting. but leave the first even free to any level just so they can do one of the events.

Requires driving skill rather than just repeating races in an overpowered car to level up.

Edit: tree'd

i think they should set up the car's and events so that if your using a overpowered car (based on pp if you do it the gt5 way)then you don't get as much experience for the event. Ive seen a game though i cant remember do this before. It of course made the noobs mad but it made it more balanced and i enjoyed it.

i would also like to see a return to PP in gt6 like prologue had for each event and gt5's online

Last edited:
I think PD are trying both ... in GT4 licenses determined what you could race, but they had some kind of system similar to xp which was some measure of your race completions and how difficult you made them to win... but it was meaningless to completion of the game, more of bragging rights.

I liked it better that way than now, where the licenses have no bearing at all on what you can race. XP meant too much grinding in the early days, and now it's way too easy to accumulate thanks to the Seasonals.

Would someone care to explain what made the licensing system so great in games prior to GT5? Everyone always talks about how it was better, but I don't really understand why.

The licenses actually meant something in the older games. You needed to hold a certain license to get into certain event. It made progression seem a little more rewarding rather than just doing them just to finish it.

Edit, I voted licenses. Licenses will give you the track experience, where xp can be accumulated through grinding.

These tests are a GT trademark. They should return, but with them being a requirement to enter races. All the classic tests should be back as well.

Leave the XP to get cars only.

Keep license tests. Add online element or social element. Keep friends in competition with one another.

License tests SHOULD dictate progression in A-spec.

GT5 slaughtered any feeling of progression. Besides, the A-spec mode was far too short and is littered with uninspired events.

These tests are a GT trademark. They should return, but with them being a requirement to enter races. All the classic tests should be back as well.

Leave the XP to get cars only.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Well, I am part of the 10% who said experience, but only because I see the licenses as a sort of tutourial. Which was great in GT3 or GT4, but by now most of us have this whole racing thing down.
Plus I still can't beat IC-10.

Well, I am part of the 10% who said experience, but only because I see the licenses as a sort of tutourial. Which was great in GT3 or GT4, but by now most of us have this whole racing thing down.
Plus I still can't beat IC-10.

But in all those games, with getting a higher license grade, you got better rewards, and for IC-10 you just have to batter the AI. :lol:

Licenses are more true to life, you could have all the experience but without the correct license, you cant progress. But on the other hand, If you had the license but not experience, you could just be a natural and can move up faster. Licenses for the win but more to do with the level too, F1 and Le man tests for S License or Simpl tracks for IA. but to go one further, have experiance to unlock the next stage of the licenses, so B needs kart time, A needs a few hours in Hatchback etc, IB need Medium Race cars, IA needs Supercars and S needs the GT3 or similar.

and for IC-10 you just have to batter the AI. :lol:

Which gets you disqualified.
I don't like the idea of required licenses because it cuts off appeal to casual gamers who can't make a perfect lap a Nurburgring TypeV in a stock RUF CTR.

They should remove experience alltogether imo. And make licenses mandatory again. Just stupid restrict car selection by levels. Just restrict events by licenses. Like the old days.

They should remove experience alltogether imo. And make licenses mandatory again. Just stupid restrict car selection by levels. Just restrict events by licenses. Like the old days.

There is a reason the old days are so old. PD wanted to move on, and they came up with the system we have now.

There is a reason the old days are so old. PD wanted to move on, and they came up with the system we have now.

Sorry, but I'm not really digging the whole cars and events being locked down by levels...

I really want the licence tests to have a purpose to unlock events again, that's what GT was really good at.

I really want the licence tests to have a purpose to unlock events again, that's what GT was really good at.

Here's a solution: bring back driving challenges. Keep EXP for A and B-Spec, but if you get the B license you can do the B-class driving challenges. Would put even more options in, beyond A-Spec, License, Special, and Seasonal events.

Here's a solution: bring back driving challenges. Keep EXP for A and B-Spec, but if you get the B license you can do the B-class driving challenges. Would put even more options in, beyond A-Spec, License, Special, and Seasonal events.

Are you talking about Driving challenges that were featured in GT4?

I much prefer the mandatory license way. I spent nearly a lifetime getting all golds on GT4, it was extremely rewarding.

Lots of good ideas here.

Licenses become the norm, in addition, you need to complete certain A-Spec races in order to proceed to the next license (similar to what the GT Academy drivers have to go through in order to get their international FIA license). Husky's idea of keeping the leveling system for cars is also brilliant.

However, dare I ask PD for an O-spec license? The license would unlock Online racing against other players and specifically teaches you what you should and shouldn't do when racing against others (proper etiquette). Also gives you tips for driving a clean race like "Race isn't won in the first turn" and stuff. The final event of the license pits you against other drivers in a special match-making room and hands out your license based on how clean your race was (granted this could be abused by people who specifically enter just to wreck everyone).

However, dare I ask PD for an O-spec license? The license would unlock Online racing against other players and specifically teaches you what you should and shouldn't do when racing against others (proper etiquette). Also gives you tips for driving a clean race like "Race isn't won in the first turn" and stuff. The final event of the license pits you against other drivers in a special match-making room and hands out your license based on how clean your race was (granted this could be abused by people who specifically enter just to wreck everyone).
Nice idea, but I think it will never happen.

Latest Posts

Back