List of cars with special gear boxes.

• Thread starter KiroKai
  • 117 comments
Gearboxes on which engine rpm don't have a fixed relationship with car speed.

However, the OFC-1 and the Cervo have a CVT, but in GT5 they work in "sport mode" with simulated fixed gears, so in practice (in the game) they are like cars with "regular" automatic transmissions.

Thanks for the help again. Added the sentence to the OP. 👍

KiroKai
Thanks for your active help guys. Added all the new information to the OP.

Could someone give me a short one-sentence description of a CVT gearbox? I need one for the OP and can't think of one myself as I don't know safely what it is myself.

It is a tranny that constantly changes gear ratios to maintain a certain rpm, while still accelerating/decelerating... Most cars have them use them to stay at low rpm to save gas, though in a Williams F1 test car, a Cvt was used to keep a high rpm to achieve almost impossible constant acceleration, and still achieve an incredible top speed... Basically, you can have the absolute highest acceleration at any speed.

It is a tranny that constantly changes gear ratios to maintain a certain rpm, while still accelerating/decelerating... Most cars have them use them to stay at low rpm to save gas, though in a Williams F1 test car, a Cvt was used to keep a high rpm to achieve almost impossible constant acceleration, and still achieve an incredible top speed... Basically, you can have the absolute highest acceleration at any speed.

Thanks for the explanation, it's understandable. The X1 should get a CVT then. :P

Why not add some cars with more than 6 gears? Here's some I know:

Lexus IS-F (8)
Nissan Skyline 350 GT-8 (8)
Ferrari 458 (7)
Ferrari California (7)
Mercedes C63, SLS and some others (7)
Red Bull X2010/11 (7)
Citroen GT Race Car (7)
Ferrari F2007 and F10 (7)
Formula GT (7)
Bugatti Veyron (7)
BMW M5 (7, I think)
There might be more, I just can't think of them right now. Why not call the category "Many Gears"? Include only cars with more than 6 gears. There's bound to be a lot of 7 speeds.

NOTE: I know the Skyline is already in the CVT category as it's in it's pseudo auto mode in game. Include only if you want.

Last edited:
KiroKai
Thanks for the explanation, it's understandable. The X1 should get a CVT then. :P

If it did, you may be seeing acceleration at 200mph at the same level as 100mph is now... Speed tops out when you reach the drag top speed wall, which for this car may be up to 350-400 (in gt4 I got an 88C-V up to 320 before I hit the speed wall)

EDIT: A racing CVT would feel similar to a Citroen GT Concept or Tesla Roadster in how consistent the acceleration is.

The Jaguar XJ13 race car '66 have dogleg gear came with 5 speed, but away from 1 gear even use in pit if it need fuel or tires change.

The Chaparral 2J only have 3 gears so I think you missed out on that under the 'few gears' section. 👍

But then again, it has jet engines sticking out the back so it should be listed under 'jet powered'. LOL :D

Don't forget the standard Jaguar S-Type R, that has a full auto transmission, you can easily hear it when you change gear...I can't remember if the '99 Jaguar XK or the XFR share this or not, since the '99 has the same V8 in it.

To be honest, I don't know. The info text about the GT-R Concept Cars just says "half-automatic" (or maybe "semi-automatic", I'm not sure how to translate it exactly). It acts like an automatic transmission but the turbocharger loses no boost when you shift. Not sure if that's a difference to the automatic transmission, as all the cars with a "normal" automatic transmission have no turbochargers. Besides that there aren't differences I spotted yet.
If anyone has a more specific information about this, please post it...

Correct, both have automatic gearboxes. The Lexus was the car I forgot about but had in mind earlier.

A semi-auto is a gearbox that shifts manually but doesn't require a clutch pedal. Most Paddle Shift cars use a semi-auto gearbox (or an automatic gearbox with a semi-auto mode). However some, such as the Aston Martin Vanquish use a manual box linked to the paddles. I'm not sure whether there is any difference in GT5 though.

A semi-auto is a gearbox that shifts manually but doesn't require a clutch pedal. Most Paddle Shift cars use a semi-auto gearbox (or an automatic gearbox with a semi-auto mode). However some, such as the Aston Martin Vanquish use a manual box linked to the paddles. I'm not sure whether there is any difference in GT5 though.

Very true, on some of the exotics and all of the high end race cars I do not have to use the clutch on the G27. It provides very fast gear changes and big smiles.

Last edited:
Peugeot 307 CC has an automatic gear lever and a 4-speed transmission but I can't remember if it changes "smoothly" or not.

You can add the Mitsubishi I Concept to the electric cars, it's a rather unknown car to most. Very nimble and fast, AND oversteery.

You can add the Mitsubishi I Concept to the electric cars, it's a rather unknown car to most. Very nimble and fast, AND oversteery.

The Mitsubishi I Concept is gas, but Mitsubishi i-ev is electric

Automatic Gearbox

Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG '02
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

Last edited:
Automatic Gearbox

Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG '02
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG '08
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
BMW M5 '08 (I think)
The C63 behaves like a manual in GT5 (despite having an automatic gearbox in RL); the BMW M5 in real life has got an automated manual gearbox and in GT5 it behaves like other regular manual cars.

This thread isn't about listing cars that are supposed to have automatic gearboxes, by the way.

The C63 behaves like a manual in GT5 (despite having an automatic gearbox in RL); the BMW M5 in real life has got an automated manual gearbox and in GT5 it behaves like other regular manual cars.

This thread isn't about listing cars that are supposed to have automatic gearboxes, by the way.

Ok, ok. Don't bite my head off. I edited it. Happy?

Latest Posts

Back