List of cars with special gear boxes.

• Thread starter KiroKai
  • 117 comments
Alfa Romeo 166 Sportronic - is an automatic, with 4 speeds, can change gears manually (but it doesn't have a clutch). Since buying the real thing, I've yet to try out the virtual one!

The 166's transmission on GT5 doesn't reflect the real life one. It is just a 4 speed gearbox.

The Mitsubishi i Concept '03 has a gasoline engine; it's the production version (the iMiev) which is electric.

The Peugeot 307 has an automatic, as it has no shifting animation. Though it might be like the Ford Mustang (supposed to be automatic, but acts like a manual).

'98 Alfa Romeo 166 2.5 24V Sportronic
Automatic 4-speed with shifter-controlled sequential mode

'05 and '08 BMW M5
Automatic 7-speed with paddle-shifted sequential mode

'03 BMW M3 CSL and '04 BMW M3
Automatic 6-speed with paddle-shifted sequential mode (optional on base M3, required on CSL, not available on GTR)
The SMG paddle-shifted sequential system found in the E46 M3 shares the same gear ratios as the conventional Getrag 6-speed manual available in the base M3 as it was the same transmission fitted with a computerized electronic clutch activation system; this is noteworthy as modern sequentially-shifted gearboxes are typically either a modified existing automatic or are designed on the planetary gearing systems rather than separate gear cogs like a conventional manual. Realism nuts with clutch and H-pattern wheels can alternate between paddles or conventional shifting on the '04 M3 at will without having to swap gear ratios or spec sheets between races.
NOTE: The '03 M3 GTR, '05 330i, and '07 M3 Coupe all use a conventional 6-speed manual.

Buick GNX
Automatic 4-speed

Ford F-150 SVT Lightning
Automatic 4-speed

Chevrolet SSR
Automatic 4-speed

NOTE: The Dodge Ram, Toyota Tacoma, and Chevrolet SST are all equipped with 6-speed manual transmissions.

I simply don't understand why GT5 reacts to clutch pedal input for cars that don't have a clutch pedal, in the same way that I don't understand why you can change gears manually in a fully automatic gearbox.

It's because they didn't give us a choice!

It's fun for guys like me where I'll drive a stock F430, but instead of paddles I'll use the clutch. The F430 (not Scuderia) has the optional paddle-shifted transmission even though I'd prefer the car had the 6-speed manual, so I just drive it as if it had the 6-speed. I do that for the F430, Gallardo, Murcielago, R8, and others that had optional manual transmissions.

The E46 M3 CLS and GTR are SMG gear boxes for the road cars. Ironically GT5 is a darn site better at shifting than the SMG gearbox in the e46 M3 I get to drive in real life!

MOTORTRENDmitch
Well, I don't consider 934hp as low HP..
I've done Mid 200's alone, and into the 300's with some air movement ahead of me ;)
Simply not slow haha..

Yeah because i thought on tracks like Monza the FGT was better (because it was faster) and the F10 and F2007 were better on turns but slower on straights. Even when both of them went head to head when that glitch was active when you could bring both on the track

The Chaparral 2J only have 3 gears so I think you missed out on that under the 'few gears' section. 👍

But then again, it has jet engines sticking out the back so it should be listed under 'jet powered'. LOL :D

The jets is fans

The point that I don't understand about the cars supposed to be automatic IRL, why did Polyphony modelised the handle of gear if it's supposed to be useless ?

Example : SL55 '02 is supposed to be automatic but the handle of gearbox is there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUXcxoDJK54

Notice on this car, the virtual driver's hands always stay on the steering wheel even if the gear shift, and his foots never react, I think it's just a bug because SL55 is the only car to do that in GT5.

pooioo
The point that I don't understand about the cars supposed to be automatic IRL, why did Polyphony modelised the handle of gear if it's supposed to be useless ?

Example : SL55 '02 is supposed to be automatic but the handle of gearbox is there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUXcxoDJK54

Notice on this car, the virtual driver's hands always stay on the steering wheel even if the gear shift, and his foots never react, I think it's just a bug because SL55 is the only car to do that in GT5.

Have you ever been in an automatic car before? There's still a gear "shifter". It's to select park, reverse, neutral, and some combination of drive gears. You don't usually touch it while driving.

The Mitsubishi i Concept is not electric. Believe it or not, it is gas-powered, and behaves much in the same way as the Fit and the Colt.

how many gears does the diablo have? gt3 had a 7th gear slot but it seemed no cars used it. People used to say the diablo had 7 in gt3 but in pal at least it had only 6.

Well, I don't consider 934hp as low HP..
I've done Mid 200's alone, and into the 300's with some air movement ahead of me ;)
Simply not slow haha..
It does have a low amount of torque, which i believe has more of an acceleration influence in cars. Power doesn't quite get a car there without the torque.

Holy mother of thread bump... I plan to make a GT6 version of this soon, but I'm not familar with all cars yet (pretty much all automatics and CVTs I wrote in the original OP were off the top of my head). I'll consider all corrections people posted here then as well.

Back