Livery Editor low quality bug - FIXED reupload your liveries

United States
Indiana
pie4july
EDIT: See high quality photos here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-photos-and-video-added.380494/#post-12423788

I have suddenly lost quality on some of my liveries since the July update. Even basic in-game decals such as lines are now being rendered poorly in scapes and the livery creator itself. Attempting to redo these decals does not correct the issue.

The car infected that I have found is the Viper Gr3. A livery using the same style and decals on my Viper Gr4 is NOT affected.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comparison video:

Edit: in this video, it is tough to see on a mobile device, but it was pretty clear on my TV. Should be easier to see on a computer. Very fuzzy boarders and even decals that are not fuzzy, appear less crisp on the sides of the Viper Gr3 compared to the Gr4. These cars utilize the same decals at approximately the same size. Based on old scape photos shown in the video, this appears to be somehow caused by the latest game update.

Edit 2: Haven't watched this on my computer yet. I'll check to see if it's easy to tell the difference when I return home. If not, I'll get screenshots. It was very apparent on my TV when I discovered this issue.

Last edited:
Crappy photos, added better ones below
PS_Messages_20180801_083216.jpg
PS_Messages_20180801_083218.jpg
PS_Messages_20180801_083221.jpg

Last edited:
Here are high quality photos. The images can be clicked on when on a computer to see a larger size. You can then zoom in using GTPs media functions to see how bad it is. That's how it looks on my TV.

Even when the decals are not pixilated, they are often foggy. I hope they fix this soon because this is a huge bummer.
:(

Before update

After update

Before update

After update

Before update

After update

Before update

After update

From a month ago

Last edited:
I'm not sure this is specific to 1.23, I recall people reporting similar things happening months ago - decals just appearing in lower resolution. Can't find the thread now, not sure if it ever sorted itself out now - but a user was complaining about decals on his X2 suddenly appearing to be lower-res.

I'm not sure this is specific to 1.23, I recall people reporting similar things happening months ago - decals just appearing in lower resolution. Can't find the thread now, not sure if it ever sorted itself out now - but a user was complaining about decals on his X2 suddenly appearing to be lower-res.

These cars were made somewhat recently and I've got an eye for the small details. I would have noticed it before as I took them to the scapes quite a bit.

It wasn't until 1.23 where I noticed it. It's even more apparent in sport mode. I quit a qualifying attempt this morning when I realized my car was a mess. And this wasn't even in replay mode. I don't even want to know how it looks then...

I see the difference in the pics posted but I doubt it's a bug. They must be lowering the quality to speed up loading into a game or freeing up PS4 memory for features (suit, helmet liveries, maybe an upcoming feature like rain.)
probably this. or to reduce the size of server storage required.

It sucks if it's to reduce the size of the liveries, kind of going backwards. Cars will start looking like standards on previous games, kind of defeats the purpose of spending on a 4K tv, a PS4 pro and an expensive wheel to enjoy the game to the fullest.
Hopefully it's just a bug and it gets fixed, but we need more people complaining and showing examples of the the bug, otherwise it hasn't even been mentioned on the bug tread for the last update!

This is really bothering me. I don't even feel like creating liveries any more :boggled:

The one thing I haven't tried is to create a new livery from scratch. Have you?

If it stays the same, then I'm going to be very upset. I can't bring myself to pick the game up while my car looks so bad.

I see the difference in the pics posted but I doubt it's a bug. They must be lowering the quality to speed up loading into a game or freeing up PS4 memory for features (suit, helmet liveries, maybe an upcoming feature like rain.)

But it hasn't happened to all my cars. I'm going to log on later to check which it has and hadn't happened to.

I've only used two cars with liveries after the update. The Viper Gr3 was affected and the Viper Gr4 wasn't

Last edited:
But it hasn't happened to all my cars. I'm going to log on later to check which it has and hadn't happened to.

I've only used two cars with liveries after the update. The Viper Gr4 was affected and the Viper Gr4 wasn't
Those which seem unaffected might be stored locally in the "network cached files" which you can delete from the options menu. Could you share one of the unaffected liveries so someone can check if the one on the server comes out as downgraded or not?

Came across this thread by accident. So it wasn't just me wrongly thinking this was the case. If this isn't a bug but a deliberate patch by PD then that is a real turn off. Let us hope not. The livery editor is a massive part of GT now and having just got to grips keeping files down to15kb as I have only had the game for 2 months, then to find them now looking worse would be a big diservice on PD's part, and would stop me from uploading as many decals and making liveries as I have been. If my hard work cannot be appreciated in it's full quality then I will not make the effort.

Please just be a bug that can be fixed. :nervous:

Thats very strange... SVG files are vector files. They should have sharp edges always, no matter what size. I hope thats a temporary issue and will get fixed soon.

--- i noticed only custom liverys/decals are blurry. Original liverys seem to be ok

Thats very strange... SVG files are vector files. They should have sharp edges always, no matter what size. I hope thats a temporary issue and will get fixed soon.

But who knows how they are converted in game? That could be the real question?

I fearfully feel this isn't a coincidence. And as mentioned in an earlier post, the car decals have taken a hit to accommodate the driver decals. I Personally think car liveries are infinitely more important and definitely more visible than the drivers. And if it is to the detriment to the car liveries than I could do without.

@fatkid You mean they convert a small 15KB SVG into a even smaller pixel graphic? That would be a huge step back...

You could have a point. 👍 Considering that they look very pixelated since the latest patch they certainly do not look to my eyes like vectors anymore.

I noticed this too, I think PD may have added some anti-aliasing to ease the hard edges on lower-res cars. I think what used to look like jagged pixels (especially with diagonal or curved edges) is now more of a blurry line or gradient.

I think it helps with overlapping shapes, but smaller and more detailed logos or text really suffer.

Last edited:
I've always had this issue. What makes it really annoying is it can happen totally randomly. I've made hundreds of liveries and most of the time it's been fine. It recently happened to me on the 650s. I started the livery again and the issue was gone.

@fatkid You mean they convert a small 15KB SVG into a even smaller pixel graphic? That would be a huge step back...

It's already a known fact that the vector files are rastered to a pre-determined pixel size in-game (we've been unable to work out the exact res as of yet). That's why when you blow up a decal to cover a large area it becomes pixelated (This shouldn't happen at all with vectors). It does indeed defeat the point of having to submit vectors instead of raster images, but they have their reasons (I suspect it ensures that the uploaded images are high res and without noise, which could not be guaranteed with all-raster uploads).

The game's own liveries are actually textures (hence why you lose the carbon fibre elements when you repaint) and not created with the same constraints as user liveries resulting in sharper rendering.

As for the issue at hand. It looks like the game is loading a lower LOD skin for that car. (You'll notice how in races liveries look lower res than in Scapes or the Livery Editor as the game loads a lower LOD). Either the livery file has become corrupt (IE the highest res detail is gone) or that particular car file is bugged (IE not requesting the highest res version of the livery when needed), either way it's hopefully fixable. I don't think PD have made this move on purpose, and the fact that other cars are unaffected suggests it's a bug.

I haven't been in the Livery Editor since the update so can't comment on any of mine, but will check them out when I get a chance.

Here are high quality photos. The images can be clicked on when on a computer to see a larger size. You can then zoom in using GTPs media functions to see how bad it is. That's how it looks on my TV.

Even when the decals are not pixilated, they are often foggy. I hope they fix this soon because this is a huge bummer. :(

Before update

After update

Before update

After update

Before update

After update

Before update

After update

From a month ago

If you think thats bad then take a picture in replay, its 10 times worse than those pics.

It's already a known fact that the vector files are rastered to a pre-determined pixel size in-game (we've been unable to work out the exact res as of yet). That's why when you blow up a decal to cover a large area it becomes pixelated (This shouldn't happen at all with vectors).

That is all fine and good. But before the update, unless I enlarged a good quality decal that I had uploaded to pointlessly large size levels, the quality was very good. Now, even high quality decals I upload and apply to cars at default size have uneven bits sticking out of them, and at a reduced size look like you are looking at them through the wrong numbered glasses.

300 decals each for the suit and helmets (same as the main body work of a whole car) seems like overkill for me and if it is to the detriment of the quality of the car decals, than it is the wrong call on PD's part, in my opinion. They should have bumped up the car decals to 500 or so first and made the driver decals at the 100 or so mark with no drop in quality - if this the reason and not a bug. The cars the star when it comes to GT in my humble opinion, and showing them off in high resolution glory is another hallmark of the series. Really disappointed with this at the moment. I feel like my hard work and other peoples, which I love to download, appreciate and wonder in amazement as to how they created it in comparison to my own is all for nought at the moment.

Last edited:
Only complete crazy guys put 300 decals on a single helmet. 10 for helmets, 20 for suits and 100 for cars should be enough imo.
Quality > quantity

As for the issue at hand. It looks like the game is loading a lower LOD skin for that car.

That's sounds like a good explanation, I guess the question would be why, and is it maybe even local to the performance of the OP's Playstation?

But before the update, unless I enlarged a good quality decal that I had uploaded to pointlessly large size levels, the quality was very good

Sorry, but I'm disagreeing this. Since the first day I used the editor it was clear that scaling decals much beyond the native size was detrimental to quality. It's less noticeable on flat surfaces, but it becomes ****ing awful on highly contoured surfaces. Poor scaling is most definitely not related to this latest update.

Only complete crazy guys put 300 decals on a single helmet. 10 for helmets, 20 for suits and 100 for cars should be enough imo.
Quality > quantity

100 decals for cars!:confused: Maybe if you are creating a stealth fighter livery. The fact is the quality has gone now with no improvement to the quantity.

A double whammy!

Last edited:
100 decals for cars!:confused:
Absolute possible with a clever design style and intelligent decal uploads. Also i must say im not interested in all the anime styles...they look pretty complex. I prefer straight race car liverys.

Latest Posts

Back