Livery Editor low quality bug - FIXED reupload your liveries

After a bit of experimenting it seems liveries uploaded before the update are unaffected (if viewed via Scapes) but reopening or creating new liveries results in poor quality both in the editor and Scapes.
Then its probably a bug. PD should catch wind of it soon and be able to correct it!

OK, the decals are looking VERY bad; they look low-res, blurried and jaggy.

This is deal breaking for me. I spend a lot of time in livery editor and looking at this makes me sad.

If this is indeed a bug, PD better fix it ASAP.

uwvccgj.jpg

oOVcCST.jpg

9nFOOeG.jpg

I made a livery and wanted to add a big line. So used the standard decals to stretch them big. I noticed it went all blurry which I thought it did not to before the update. This is a real issue. If its not a bug we do have some of a problem because it looks terrible for a game that wants to use 4K HDR etc.

I mean the standard decals looks no longer vexel but just pixel. So I am aiming its a bug because PD will never lower its graphic quality that bad. The livery editor was one of the best designed things I have ever seen in a game. Massive game design, worthy of an international design award. Killing this beauty with low pixel liveries does not seem logical for a company that walks up front with graphics.

Last edited:
That does suggest PD still have the ‘base’ data but are adjusting settings for how it’s displayed in game.

My theory is they are trying to increase the performance overhead in races for the implementation of a feature, ie weather. Somewhere along the line a bug has been introduced into the livery creator and Scapes mode - or they just have a global setting for all modes.
If you've ever looked closely in replays you'll see that the liveries are downgraded quite heavily (so much so I had to correct a few liveries as the way I'd masked parts of the bodywork created some nasty artefacts) so they're already implementing this. It now appears they've triggered something in the editor that means it's not able to display or create liveries at the highest level.

With the car editor out of action I had a play with the helmets and suits and the decals are all pin sharp (perhaps even sharper than the cars were before the update). However the skins for helmets and suits have clearly been rushed. The helmets have issues with the vents on the top (place a circle over them and the lines aren't symmetrical), the carbon helmet has shadows where the flags should be and the area where the decals go on the suits are really not symmetrical!

Just had a look in-game and can confirm something has broken/been changed.

Both new and existing liveries are blurry/low res.

This is a deal breaker if it's an intentional choice, I'm hoping it's just a bug, but it's funny how helmets and suits are still sharp!

Well no point making any liveries until this is fixed!

Thankfully, I think this is a bug. Was sharing my unfinished 1998 Porsche 911 GT1 assets with another player, as I couldn't be asked to finish mine as I was close to running out of decal slots. Both were created before the latest patch.

Here is mine, which has seen better days:
PS_Messages_20180804_220334.jpg

And here is the one belonging to the other player. Maybe hard to tell on the screenshot, but it definitely looks alot sharper and like what I remember mine to look like pre patch:
PS_Messages_20180804_220301.jpg

It is here in livery editor mode and during a race that that decals look real bad, where as in scapes in does take a slightly smaller hit. So it definitely looks like it is a bug and hopefully PD are quick to jump on and fix it.

Last edited:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Every update, they have broken something in the livery editor. This time they really screwed it up.

Working on the gr4 Megane last night, some elements looked terrible. I hope they fix it, as the LE is pretty much the only reason I still play this game, I hardly ever race.

So I logged in this morning and tried to start a new Viper. I thought maybe the old livery was just corrupt.

Nope. They've screwed up the livery editor. I tried placing an in game decal (a line) and it was super rough. I hope they fix this soon because I don't want to play like this at all :(

Yea I'm really bummed and haven't worked on anything. Suit and helmet decals are crisp though... Hmmm

If it is a bug - which everything points to - you should be able to continue to make liveries. And when PD fixes it they’ll return to being pin sharp.

We see older liveries are lower quality in the livery editor but pin sharp in Scapes mode. This suggests PD have the full base data but have introduced a bug which displays them at lower quality.

More evidence for this is the fact the suit and helmet livery editor is still pin sharp.

If it is a bug - which everything points to - you should be able to continue to make liveries. And when PD fixes it they’ll return to being pin sharp.

We see older liveries are lower quality in the livery editor but pin sharp in Scapes mode. This suggests PD have the full base data but have introduced a bug which displays them at lower quality.

More evidence for this is the fact the suit and helmet livery editor is still pin sharp.

From what I've seen only old liveries uploaded before the update stay sharp. If you edit an old livery and upload it again it goes fuzzy, so there's no guarantee that a livery created during this bug will be restored to full quality after the fix (if a fix comes). I wouldn't risk spending a lot of time on a livery at the moment as chances are you may have to re-make it in the future.

Never any guarantees until it’s fixed.

But we know base decal quality is unchanged and the same decals are sharp on helmets & suits. It appears it’s a quality setting on PD’s part, much like they change LoD’s in game. Let’s just hope they flick that switch to up quality.

This is deal breaking for me. I spend a lot of time in livery editor and looking at this makes me sad.

uwvccgj.jpg

oOVcCST.jpg

9nFOOeG.jpg
Yup and when you have decals near tire stickers(tire stickers are high resolution) it looks even worse!

uwvccgj.jpg

oOVcCST.jpg

9nFOOeG.jpg

If it makes you feel any better they would still look very bad in HD

Apparently it was a bug!

- Fixed an issue wherein decals on liveries made after Update 1.23 were becoming blurred;
- Fixed an issue wherein decals applied to the rear of the helmet with the “spherical surface” projection method were becoming partially cut off when driving. (If you have created car liveries and helmet liveries with Update 1.23, please re-upload the liveries to fix these issues.)

So, reupload those liveries.

Sweet, I know what I'll be doing whilst my wife's at her Zumba class tonight (updating the PS4, making dinner then realising I'm too tired to sit and make liveries and having an early night :sly:)

I guess this thread is now over. Now I need to go back and update all my old liveries from before the update that I made last week. Probably need to delete and reupload them on my gallery, then relink it all back to GTP.

At least they look better.

Not sure what I need to do. I just have to re upload into the Sony server and delete the old ones?

I had uploaded 27 liveries the last one week

Do I have to go back to the Livery editor and do anything ? I think I have to go the editor and save it again so I have a new copy. then I can delete the old one linked to the server. correct?

Last edited:
Not sure what I need to do. I just have to re upload into the Sony server and delete the old ones?

I had uploaded 27 liveries the last one week

Do I have to go back to the Livery editor and do anything ?
I suspect by upload, they mean go into the livery and re-save.

So is it just liveries uploaded after 30/07/2018 we have to reupload or is it any liveries prior to this fix?

I suspect by upload, they mean go into the livery and re-save.

My liveries appeared back to normal in the livery creator as soon as I opened them. I'm not sure how they would have been rendered in a race or scapes though (I didn't look).

I simply opened all the ones I cared about (whether they were created/edited before or after 1.23) and resaved & uploaded them. Only took a couple of moments.

After this, I spent a few minutes in scapes and I am happy to report did not experience any noticeable quality issues :)

Back