livid...

I brake-checked when I started to play the game. It wasn't intentionally, I just didn't master the gameplay and braked to early. For that I received SR penalties, and it's good. Now, I know more about my cars and I don't brake-check anymore.

Every contact should result in damages to cars, like in real life. When people will start to be fedup of damages they'll start to drive cleanly (or stop to play the game becasue they ar too dirty). Today, you can ram and the only penalty you get is..... nothing, except the SR going (too slowly) down.

I really dont get this logic mate.
Why people will magically start racing "clean"?Just because of damage?People can pull "dirty" moves with zero or min damage (even if you put that option to "full/on").
I support the idea of damage being always on,but this is not a solution.
The solution is to have a rating/penalty system that works.Also create ways to teach new players how to race safe and clean.Make it hard for people to earn licences that should be mandatory in order to enter e-sports parts of the game.
Otherwise,damage or not,you cannot hope to start fixing this issue.

Once I got SR S I have never gone down from it
Its the same for me.But there are a lot of dirty driving in S too mate.

The general attitude of hanging around at the back is not helping.

Consider this, anybody can run around the back of a grid avoiding all other cars to build a better SR at the expense of DR, but thats not grouping you with racers with good racecraft, thats just grouping you with others who can run around at the back of the grid. Its the combination of SR DR and qualifying laps that will group you with like minded racers.

The only thing I have decided to do is avoid ovals, apart from that every sport race, I compete as I would any online race. This hasn’t affected my SR (Currently S).

What is needed most is an understanding that online racers will attempt to overtake at every tiny gap of opportunity. There’s nobody else responsible for your SR other than you.

For me this is where it gets interesting. Cars in your rear views are closer than they look. If you present a gap that can be taken using your car to help them get around the corner, expect it to be taken. Drive defensive make the descions for the car following you. When a car is drafting you, if dont automatically assume the racing line, you present a goal for the car behind, if only they can get some of their car up the inside.

Defensive driving reduces the options / chances to be hit, its much harder to be hit if they have to fight the centrifugal force. My advice is own the track when it is your right to.

I think the solution to this problem can only be solved with consequences. What I'm talking is not being banned but permanent damage to the cars with the possibility of wrecking the car to unreparable and you would need to buy a new one, online only off course.

Forza enabled car damage in some of their online lobbies recently and it only seemed to encourage the trolls. Something more severe like what you're suggesting with permanent damage might give them some incentive to stop being an idiot however.

Forza enabled car damage in some of their online lobbies recently and it only seemed to encourage the trolls. Something more severe like what you're suggesting with permanent damage might give them some incentive to stop being an idiot however.

So you'll go from one "unrealistic" setting -no damage- to another -perm damage- to fix a problem that its core is not the damage settings?

I always thought back in the Beta that due to the complaints then, that PD should introduce a laptime consistency rating, because I could bet those who are more cautious on the way into corners are lapping more consistently than those who are rushing into every other corner, even though their fastest lap times are comparable.

Give this man a medal!

Consistency could easily separate the wheat from the chaff. Another way to accomplish the same things would be to punish track offs much more severely. iRacing will penalise you quite harshly for going off track even if you do not make contact with anyone or a barrier. Not sure GTS does, but it really should.

Same thing here. SR at S, which I gained by driving really 🤬 carefully while still racing for position.

Honestly some people don’t have the temperament for online racing. Yes you can have 30 minute of work ruined by driver error. That’s how it goes.

Folks who are raging around seem to be all frustrated and up in their own heads, demanding a game be changed drastically when it is working great for a silent majority.

I honestly don't get it, my DR is only D but my SR is S and has been ince the first week of release. i ran about 15 daily's yesterday with GR4 at Kyoto and all of them have been an absolute pleasure, i got 5 clean race bonuses and about 4 or 5 races EVERY driver ended with a blue S .
each and every race was hard fought but fair and respectful, and this has been my general experience so far.

I agree with you one hundred percent.

Anyone who tells you to cruise around at the back to get to S safety is doing you a disservice.

You NEED to learn how to run in traffic, and you need to learn how to race at speed while driving defensively while putting ZERO trust in the other cars on track.

That is how you get to and maintain S safety rating.

The general attitude of hanging around at the back is not helping.

Folks who are raging around seem to be all frustrated and up in their own heads, demanding a game be changed drastically when it is working great for a silent majority.

People that spot (or think they do so) problems in a game,as usually more vocal than people that think everything is fine.
Yet,I would not be so sure that the game is "working great" and that there is a silent majority that thinks so.

So here’s my question for you:

If there is net code preventing penalties being applied to both drivers in a no fault system, and it needs to be corrected, the bug is currently happening for the ENTIRE population of players.

What does that tell you guys complaining, about your own lack of personal responsibility for your SR?

An entire bracket of people, two in fact (S and A) managed to overcome the same exact issues you are encountering by taking personal responsibility and driving more cleanly and carefully over time than you are.

People that spot (or think they do so) problems in a game,as usually more vocal than people that think everything is fine.
Yet,I would not be so sure that the game is "working great" and that there is a silent majority that thinks so.

So here’s my question for you:

If there is net code preventing penalties being applied to both drivers in a no fault system, and it needs to be corrected, the bug is currently happening for the ENTIRE population of players.

What does that tell you guys complaining, about your own lack of personal responsibility for your SR?

An entire bracket of people, two in fact (S and A) managed to overcome the same exact issues you are encountering by taking personal responsibility and driving more cleanly and carefully over time than you are.

You make it sound like I have a big "SR" problem.My SR rating is S.So I am part of that entire bracket of people that you say that is "taking personal responsibility" for their SR.
With that said I still think there are many problems in both SR system and the penalty system too.
Because its too easy to get to SR S even if you are a dirty driver.And the penalty system many times is punishing the wrong people (for doing the right things and racing clean)and do the opposite with people that should get punished.

You make it sound like I have a big "SR" problem.My SR rating is S.So I am part of that entire bracket of people that you say that is "taking personal responsibility" for their SR.
With that said I still think there are many problems in both SR system and the penalty system too.
Because its too easy to get to SR S even if you are a dirty driver.And the penalty system many times is punishing the wrong people (for doing the right things and racing clean)and do the opposite with people that should get punished.

This is where I have a problem,

For every negative SR I’ve received I could understand why, for every time penalty I could understand why.

For all the complaints about the SR video evidence would go a ling way to confirming there is and what the actual underlying problems are.

For every negative SR I’ve received I could understand why, for every time penalty I could understand why.

Problem is not understanding why you get a negative SR or a penalty.
Example:
Some guy hits you -dive bombs- and you get a negative SR.I can understand why you got the minus SR.
I get off track/cutting track (for whatever reason).I undestand why I got the penalty.
Again,my problem is not with SR +/- but how easy it is to get into the upper levels of SR (A & S).I mean when everybody starts at B and after a few races have a rating of A or S then there is a problem.Many A or S drivers do not belong there but still there are ways they can use not only to get there but also to stay in that bracket.
The penalty system has other kinds of problems.It does follow some basic rules that in many cases give the wrong results punishing clean drivers more than dirty ones.Thats my point and thats why I think they need to improve/fix those systems.

The possibility of this does put me off buying the game to be honest. I've never liked competitive online games and racing games were among those I enjoyed the least. To see my favourite franchise focus so intently on online racing doesn't do much for my motivation to buy/play.

But then for the online system to punish those who crash whether it's their fault or not doesn't sound like fun at all. After all, that's why you buy a game isn't it - fun. That's exactly why I stopped playing GTA V. Granted GTA's problem was microtransactions, not online racing penalties, but still.

I honestly don't get it, my DR is only D but my SR is S and has been since the first week of release. i ran about 15 daily's yesterday with GR4 at Kyoto and all of them have been an absolute pleasure, i got 5 clean race bonuses and about 4 or 5 races EVERY driver ended with a blue S .
each and every race was hard fought but fair and respectful, and this has been my general experience so far.

That is the system working EXACTLY as designed. You are being placed with clean running racers that share a similar speed and driving skills as yourself.

Do not worry about being rated as a D just enjoy the fun races you are having. If and when your skill increase the the system will advance you to the next higher class. You are better off where you are until your skills warrant a DR class increase.

This is where I have a problem,

For all the complaints about the SR video evidence would go a ling way to confirming there is and what the actual underlying problems are.

Indeed. And the handful of times where video evidence was provided it was noticed that the driver had a questionable understanding of driving etiquette and fault despite intending no malice or ill will while racing.

That is the system working EXACTLY as designed. You are being placed with clean running racers that share a similar speed and driving skills as yourself.

Do not worry about being rated as a D just enjoy the fun races you are having. If and when your skill increase the the system will advance you to the next higher class. You are better off where you are until your skills warrant a DR class increase.
I am not worried, that is my speed at the moment, it's mostly a time thing, when you work 12 to 14 hours a day and have a wife you can only practice so much. But then it is also the speed of the other guys on track so the challenge is still there. I have no expectations of winning more then a potted plant but I am having loads of fun and that is motivation enough. I think you are on my friends lists.. My psn is cheffi100, hope to see you on track some day mate

I have a theory that SR and Penalties, are pre-adjusted for different SR and DR.

We already know the game calculates 'ghosting' more or less aggressively depending on your SR/DR.

I believe there is a chance, that penalties and sector SR flags, are effected by your overall SR/DR.

For example, let's say a collision on track occurs between an A-A driver, and a B-B driver, I believe that if the B-B driver was the following car, that they will get a more aggressive penalty than the A-A driver would. I think there's a chance, that the same collision can result in a green sector for 1 car, and a orange sector for another. If an A-S driver rear ends another A-S driver, there might not even be an SR flag detected for the sector at all, but if a C-B driver makes the same exact contact to that A-S driver, there would be a penalty incurred. One step further, if the same contact occurred between two C-B drivers, and two A-S drivers, that perhaps both C-B drivers get penalties and SR orange sectors, but nothing would happen to either A-S driver, despite the same exact contact/collision.

I have no proof or evidence of this, other than the drastic difference I experience in game, versus the vast majority of people on this forum every day. I'm only DR:B, SR:S. I never alter my driving style in attempt to manipulate my SR. I am an aggressive driver, I will bump you on accident because I over drive entry's, and I will bump you on purpose if I feel it's warranted. (Let me emphasize bump, I won't spin/wreck you, but I'll give you a tap off the driving line, and get you 'out of shape' and go around. #CircleTrackMentality) I regularly have races and sectors with contact, and it doesn't result in SR drops, and more often than not, I don't even get orange sectors. I've never had my SR drop since I got to S.

Long story short, does anyone else think that having a higher DR/SR results in a lot more forgiving SR/Penalty system in their races?

DR:B, SR:S. I never alter my driving style in attempt to manipulate my SR. I am an aggressive driver, I will bump you on accident because I over drive entry's, and I will bump you on purpose if I feel it's warranted. (Let me emphasize bump, I won't spin/wreck you, but I'll give you a tap off the driving line, and get you 'out of shape' and go around. #CircleTrackMentality) I regularly have races and sectors with contact, and it doesn't result in SR drops, and more often than not, I don't even get orange sectors. I've never had my SR drop since I got to S.

In a road racing environment your "Nascar" style racing mentality is not desired or wanted and ruins the racing experience. Just last night I was in an online daily GR 4 race and myself and another car of a different make were very evenly matched in pace but faster/slower in different sectors of the track.

I was the lead car and I could pull out enough where I was fast to get just far enough in front to be able to take the inside and protect that inner line where he was faster and hold the lead. We went this way for 3 laps and it was fun intense racing that a slip up by either racer would have given the other the break they needed to be clear. At the end I slipped just enough in the next to last corner he got his nose under me and it was enough for him to hold the position and beat me to the finish line.

If that driver had of had the same mentality towards what is clean and acceptable as you have we both would have missed out on some really great intense close clean racing.

There is no justification or acceptability for a Nascar mentality of rubbing is racing within the road racing ranks. You will be considered a dirty racer that most people prefer not to race with.

I have a theory that SR and Penalties, are pre-adjusted for different SR and DR.

We already know the game calculates 'ghosting' more or less aggressively depending on your SR/DR.

I believe there is a chance, that penalties and sector SR flags, are effected by your overall SR/DR.

For example, let's say a collision on track occurs between an A-A driver, and a B-B driver, I believe that if the B-B driver was the following car, that they will get a more aggressive penalty than the A-A driver would. I think there's a chance, that the same collision can result in a green sector for 1 car, and a orange sector for another. If an A-S driver rear ends another A-S driver, there might not even be an SR flag detected for the sector at all, but if a C-B driver makes the same exact contact to that A-S driver, there would be a penalty incurred. One step further, if the same contact occurred between two C-B drivers, and two A-S drivers, that perhaps both C-B drivers get penalties and SR orange sectors, but nothing would happen to either A-S driver, despite the same exact contact/collision.

I have no proof or evidence of this, other than the drastic difference I experience in game, versus the vast majority of people on this forum every day. I'm only DR:B, SR:S. I never alter my driving style in attempt to manipulate my SR. I am an aggressive driver, I will bump you on accident because I over drive entry's, and I will bump you on purpose if I feel it's warranted. (Let me emphasize bump, I won't spin/wreck you, but I'll give you a tap off the driving line, and get you 'out of shape' and go around. #CircleTrackMentality) I regularly have races and sectors with contact, and it doesn't result in SR drops, and more often than not, I don't even get orange sectors. I've never had my SR drop since I got to S.

Long story short, does anyone else think that having a higher DR/SR results in a lot more forgiving SR/Penalty system in their races?
So you're the guy everyone is complaining about..... Just remember that one person's 'bump' is the next one's wreck.

In a road racing environment your "Nascar" style racing mentality is not desired or wanted and ruins the racing experience. Just last night I was in an online daily GR 4 race and myself and another car of a different make were very evenly matched in pace but faster/slower in different sectors of the track.

I was the lead car and I could pull out enough where I was fast to get just far enough in front to be able to take the inside and protect that inner line where he was faster and hold the lead. We went this way for 3 laps and it was fun intense racing that a slip up by either racer would have given the other the break they needed to be clear. At the end I slipped just enough in the next to last corner he got his nose under me and it was enough for him to hold the position and beat me to the finish line.

If that driver had of had the same mentality towards what is clean and acceptable as you have we both would have missed out on some really great intense close clean racing.

There is no justification or acceptability for a Nascar mentality of rubbing is racing within the road racing ranks. You will be considered a dirty racer that most people prefer not to race with.

That's quite the leap of an assumption you made, but I suppose that's life. The scenario you explained, I never would have touched you. 'When warranted' does not mean 'this guys just as fast as me, the only way I can pass him is to wreck him.'

'When warranted' means if you're hogging the road, excessive blocking, or purposely taking defensive lines repeatedly through a race, because you know the car behind you is faster, and you refuse to yield, or insist on forcing side by side racing on lap 2, while the lead pack drives away from us.

'When warranted' means if you're hogging the road, excessive blocking, or purposely taking defensive lines repeatedly through a race, because you know the car behind you is faster, and you refuse to yield, or insist on forcing side by side racing on lap 2, while the lead pack drives away from us.

Your still talking nonsense.

purposely taking defensive lines repeatedly through a race, because you know the car behind you is faster
Or "racing" as it's known.
I will bump you on purpose if I feel it's warranted. (Let me emphasize bump, I won't spin/wreck you, but I'll give you a tap off the driving line, and get you 'out of shape' and go around. #CircleTrackMentality)
You went full Plato. Never go full Plato.

That's quite the leap of an assumption you made, but I suppose that's life. The scenario you explained, I never would have touched you. 'When warranted' does not mean 'this guys just as fast as me, the only way I can pass him is to wreck him.'

I agree that blocking by taking unnatural racing lines to do so is not acceptable. But taking a defensive line to protect your position through a corner is perfectly acceptable and if it forces the opposition to try to pass on the outside forcing side by side racing regardless of what lap it is is a perfectly legal and acceptable practice.

If you are not fast enough to pass the car in front of you legally and contact free you do not deserve the position and the lead pack driving away does not alter those rules.

Apparently you are a driver that does not take into consideration that the lap times you are capable of running on a clear and traffic free race course can most definitely be slowed and altered because you are not guaranteed of having clear optimum racing lines due to other competitors.

Just because the availability of those clear lines may allow you to run a faster pace than the car you are behind is capable of running in no way shape or form is that racer obligated to move over and allow you to advance past his position.

If he is a good enough of a racer to keep you behind him by legally and morally racing a clean but defensive line then you should also be a good enough of a racer to legally take the position without contact or bulldozing him out of the way. If not you should remain behind the leading driver.

Again your comments have shown your mindset that how dare another racer occupy a line that keeps me from going at my maximum pace. There is no warranted reason for a racer as you say and I quote;
"purposely taking defensive lines repeatedly through a race, because you know the car behind you is faster, and you refuse to yield, or insist on forcing side by side racing on lap 2, while the lead pack drives away from us." end quote.

There is no warranted reason that any racer should move out of your way and allow you their position, this is a race and not a hot lap and as a real racer you will figure out how to get by legally and cleanly if you are faster!

Your mindset is the exact reason penalties need to be turned up and only assessed post race and not allowed to be scrubbed off in race.

I agree that blocking by taking unnatural racing lines to do so is not acceptable. But taking a defensive line to protect your position through a corner is perfectly acceptable and if it forces the opposition to try to pass on the outside forcing side by side racing regardless of what lap it is is a perfectly legal and acceptable practice.

If you are not fast enough to pass the car in front of you legally and contact free you do not deserve the position and the lead pack driving away does not alter those rules.

Apparently you are a driver that does not take into consideration that the lap times you are capable of running on a clear and traffic free race course can most definitely be slowed and altered because you are not guaranteed of having clear optimum racing lines due to other competitors.

Just because the availability of those clear lines may allow you to run a faster pace than the car you are behind is capable of running in no way shape or form is that racer obligated to move over and allow you to advance past his position.

If he is a good enough of a racer to keep you behind him by legally and morally racing a clean but defensive line then you should also be a good enough of a racer to legally take the position without contact or bulldozing him out of the way. If not you should remain behind the leading driver.

Again your comments have shown your mindset that how dare another racer occupy a line that keeps me from going at my maximum pace. There is no warranted reason for a racer as you say and I quote;
"purposely taking defensive lines repeatedly through a race, because you know the car behind you is faster, and you refuse to yield, or insist on forcing side by side racing on lap 2, while the lead pack drives away from us." end quote.

There is no warranted reason that any racer should move out of your way and allow you their position, this is a race and not a hot lap and as a real racer you will figure out how to get by legally and cleanly if you are faster!

Your mindset is the exact reason penalties need to be turned up and only assessed post race and not allowed to be scrubbed off in race.

I posted this in another thread, but it also applies here...first, I do agree with your POV in general, however...

So does this also apply to back markers in GTS? I was in 4th place during an FIA manufacturer's race...,and a 20th place car was intentionally ramming people. He was so slow, he actually was getting lapped. I tried to get around him quickly but he blocked me several times, then when I went for an obvious opening due to his crappy driving, he hit me three times, finally making me spin out and losing my position on like the 7th lap. His name was Pizza something. Afterwards, in chat, after giving him some harsh words, he hit back with "You have the whole track", which is complete BS seeing as how he was actively ramming into people.

Right pissed me off. A back marker shouldn't be able to hold up a much, much faster car...especially when they're many places ahead. In real racing, he would have gotten a blue flag and he would have had to move over. In GTS, there's no penalties at all for this.

I think if a back marker looks like it's going to intentionally hit a leader in a "game" like this, they should ghost or be penalized some way much more severely than normal if they do make contact. Severely reduce their rating or something.

I was S when it happened, by the way.

I posted this in another thread, but it also applies here...first, I do agree with your POV in general, however...

So does this also apply to back markers in GTS? I was in 4th place during an FIA manufacturer's race...,and a 20th place car was intentionally ramming people. He was so slow, he actually was getting lapped. I tried to get around him quickly but he blocked me several times, then when I went for an obvious opening due to his crappy driving, he hit me three times, finally making me spin out and losing my position on like the 7th lap. His name was Pizza something. Afterwards, in chat, after giving him some harsh words, he hit back with "You have the whole track", which is complete BS seeing as how he was actively ramming into people.

Right pissed me off. A back marker shouldn't be able to hold up a much, much faster car...especially when they're many places ahead. In real racing, he would have gotten a blue flag and he would have had to move over. In GTS, there's no penalties at all for this.

I think if a back marker looks like it's going to intentionally hit a leader in a "game" like this, they should ghost or be penalized some way much more severely than normal if they do make contact. Severely reduce their rating or something.

I was S when it happened, by the way.

No, a back marker being lapped should if possible and if done enough in advance to not affect the leaders at all or create a possible safety hazard due to changing lines should move over off the racing line and allow the leaders through.

Otherwise they should just maintain a predictable racing line and allow the leaders to work their own way by cleanly.

The only place this can get a little grey is if you have two back markers racing and fighting for their own finishing position it is generally considered that then the leaders who are faster should work their way around the slower back markers who are racing for position.

But at no time should a back marker use blocking tactics to try to keep from being lapped. The part that at this point I do not think the game really identifies that it is a leader approaching to lap another driver which causes its own set of problems concerning back marker/ leader intervention.

Or "racing" as it's known.

You isolated a single example, from a list of multiple I gave. If it's just one, or the other, I can handle that. If someone is doing multiple of these just to prevent you from passing, for extended lengths at time, with nothing on the line, early on, that's not racing. If it's the last lap or 2 of a race, sure, then by all means, I have no issue with a couple blocks, defensive techniques like backing up your corners, maximizing your exits, etc. But as I explicitly pointed out above, if you're using these tactics on the first 2-3 laps of a 15 lap race, that's not 'racing' in my opinion. It's bad driving, and you deserve the chrome horn. If you want to drive that way, lap after lap, then come to GTP and cry about how someone ran into the back of you, and pretend you have no clue why, you're so innocent, it's all their fault, and it's the games fault, the system doesn't work, wah wah wah... be my guest. I'm not that naive. If I were driving like that for laps at a time, and someone had finally had enough, I'm not going to pretend I don't know why it happened. As someone pointed out earlier, I almost always know why I get a penalty or an SR drop for a sector. It's the people who come here pretending they can't possibly understand what went wrong, and how it has to be everyone's fault but theirs, because they're angels who did everything right, and the SR system is broken because they lost their rating. We've seen it non stop since release. Just because I'm being real about the type of driver I am, both on purpose (rarely) and accident (often enough), I'm the bad guy? I wish more people on this forum were honest with themselves about their actual driving.

I personally believe there is a difference between 'good clean racing' and 'no cars ever touched each other'.

For reference, here's a video of a race I was in last week, or whenever the Nurb GP was weekly. This is what I consider a 'good clean racing' but I, and the guys I was racing, definitely made contact with each other a few times. I was driving as aggressive as I normally do. This is the type of racing I experience in Sport Mode regularly, and this is the way I drive regularly. Judge for yourself.

I am the Red Porsche, Grinols (who spins early). I tried to give the camera angles that were relevant to the race while keeping it entertaining to watch. After the video ends, the 3 of us held our positions until lap 9, where the leader cut the chicane, had to slow for a penalty, I drove by and held my lead for the final lap. When I call myself an aggressive driver, this is the type of driving I'm talking about. Any critique is welcome, I'm open to being told I'm wrong, dirty, or just plain suck. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last, lol.

Latest Posts

Back