Logitech Driving Force GT

• Thread starter naposim
  • 71 comments
Sweden
Sweden
Hello! I hope this is the right category for my question about PS3 Pads vs Logitech Driving Force GT wheel and pedals. I only play with original PS3 pad. But i have heard from lot of people who play this lovely game that you will be so must faster on every track if you throw the PS3 pad. And buy this instead is all that true or what should i buy? I hope someone can help me out :)
Here is a link to the wheel it is in swedish but just click on the wheel picture for better view.

http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=293146

Best regards!

If you want it now and have the money then buy it now. If you can wait and save a bit more then buy Logitech G27. I'm also a pad user. That's what I would do if I were you.

Driving with wheel is not about speed , but more about immersion.After all, you don't drive car in real world with joypad (yet) .

Truth is , you may not even be faster with wheel than you are now with DS3 , but for sure you will have more fun.

Wheel you're looking for (DFGT) , is a decent wheel for it's price and of course there are newer better wheels like G27,T500,fanatec...but they all cost substantially more (300>500€). Where I live, new DFGT cost 130€ , while I got mine (used) for 80€.

Yeah, the price for the DFGT new didn't change at all in the past years. I bought it in December 2009 for around 100€ (Germany, Amazon) and currently the price is even higher.
After almost 5 years and many hours of gaming it still works fine. Just the small red wheel (sorry, I don't know the English name for it) to make the ingame setup adjustments doesn't work that good anymore, but in GT6 it's not important for me since I mainly race online and the menu is blocked there.

Driving with wheel is not about speed , but more about immersion.After all, you don't drive car in real world with joypad (yet) .

Truth is , you may not even be faster with wheel than you are now with DS3 , but for sure you will have more fun.

Wheel you're looking for (DFGT) , is a decent wheel for it's price and of course there are newer better wheels like G27,T500,fanatec...but they all cost substantially more (300>500€). Where I live, new DFGT cost 130€ , while I got mine (used) for 80€.

totally agree with you :bowdown:

but naposim, PD is talking alot about GT7 and PS4, does not support the current wheels

don't know if i´m faster since i bought my G27 in Dec 2012, but i had much more fun on GT5 and now in GT6, but i´m worried with GT7 :nervous:

And if you question the feedback it gives in GT6 try it out on PC with games such as Assetto Corsa for a better feeling and freedom in settings.

I was in the same boat as the OP about a month ago. I took the plunge and bought a DFGT and haven't looked back. The game has a much more fluid feel to it and tracks that before I didn't like are now a joy to drive.

As for times, well in truth my times are now a tad slower but what has improved vastly is my consistency. I also seem to be getting more out of my tires too. I did the Indianapolis endurance race in GT5, with the DS pad I was getting about 25 laps per set with the DFGT I'm up to 37 laps. I put this down to having a smoother driving style.

Enjoy your wheel :cheers:

Steve

When I got a wheel for the first time, I started the game over again (GT5) - I think that is a good way of learning how to use the wheel. If you start GT6 again, by the time you complete the career you will have learnt how to use the wheel.

DFGT is an excellent choice and I am sure you will enjoy it very much.

Sometimes when I'm too lazy to set up my wheel I do some laps with the DS3 as well, and I can't really keep up the pace compared to the wheel. But I've played with a wheel since GT4 so I'm not that used to drive with the pad.
Before the DFGT, I had the original Driving Force (no Pro, no Ex, just "Driving Force"). It only had 200° wheelspin or such and therefore was a bit different. But so I played with it since the end of '05, and played most of GT4 with it, and almost everytime at GT5P and GT5. Same goes for GT6.
An example from the near past: At the current seasonal event with the VW GTI Vision GT car at Madrid, I was able to do a 1.17.2 with the wheel. My best time with the pad was a 1.18.7 I believe. Didn't do many laps with the pad, so there was possibly a lot of time I could've gained, but still I'm slower.

Drifting although is completely different, it's impossible for me to drift using the wheel. I can't countersteer fast and precise enough, so when I'm drifting I always use the pad.

Bought myself a used DFGT when I bought GT6. I had never gamed with a wheel before. It took me a while to be faster with it than with my DS3, although I still can't drift at all using a wheel (and couldn't get the "Secret Wheel-lock" to work wither).

In any case, I LOVE playing GT6 with the wheel. I built myself a little rig with some scrap wood. All-in-all, including wood, paint & purchase of the wheel, it cost me about 75$. Couldn't ask for better value.

10513510_10154344910985094_8790227958102509540_n.jpg

You might be able to drift with a wheel if you know about the DFGT undocumented settings.
Thanks! I'll try that out. I knew that the DF Pro had that option, but that was known for a long time. I didn't knew about this, but since the thread is from August '13 this seems to have been found out rather recently.

EDIT: I always found it somewhat sad that GT didn't have any customization in that area. Using the wheel on the computer is much easier, since 1st the logitech profiler offers for example that adjustable wheel rotation lock and 2nd the games offer much more options, but also other console games...

Thanks! I'll try that out. I knew that the DF Pro had that option, but that was known for a long time. I didn't knew about this, but since the thread is from August '13 this seems to have been found out rather recently.

EDIT: I always found it somewhat sad that GT didn't have any customization in that area. Using the wheel on the computer is much easier, since 1st the logitech profiler offers for example that adjustable wheel rotation lock and 2nd the games offer much more options, but also other console games...
Even the recently released Grid Autosport, a really low budget driving game, has far better wheel tuning options than GT's one slider approach.

I had 2 DFGT wheels and on both the brake didn't fully let up right out of the box. Ended up taking the pedal base apart and stretching the spring a bit before putting it back. Works great now and I don't have to pull the brake up all the way with my toes. ;)
Keep a eye on the brake meter to see if it lets off all the way when ya get yours. Killed the lap times, Slow cars especially.

Hello! I hope this is the right category for my question about PS3 Pads vs Logitech Driving Force GT wheel and pedals. I only play with original PS3 pad. But i have heard from lot of people who play this lovely game that you will be so must faster on every track if you throw the PS3 pad. And buy this instead is all that true or what should i buy? I hope someone can help me out :)
Here is a link to the wheel it is in swedish but just click on the wheel picture for better view.

http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=293146

Best regards!

All I can really say is that a wheel will produce a more realistic driving experience than a controller. As to faster, it sorta depends on the user. Some controller users are very very fast, but their performance with the controller is to some degree "magic" since real cars don;'t use controllers and don't' respond instantaneously in parameters (like some do in this sim when a controller is used).

If you drive in real life, I expect that you'll enjoy using a wheel more than a controller, or at least I'd expect to be true for most people who drive real cars in real life.

I can say that I am faster with a wheel than with a controller. You? I cannot say.

There's a thread in the Hardware forum that shows how to mod your DFGT to fix the brake issue and also invest in a pair of GranTurgismo Paddle shifters, they make it much better to use

Hi boys and girls and big thanks to all of you who help me answer my question about my wondering about to buy this or not. I can say that i bought it and have really try to learn to drive with it. But i am more then 2-10 seconds faster when i use an original PS3 controller and when i use this Force GT. I am little confuse becuase steering the car with Force GT is mutch easier then PS3 pad. But to use the pedals (throttle,brake) is for me really hard. And i now that i am not a pro player. But its so boring becuase i have finish all driving licence course but i cant complete the last course when you drive the blue Bugatti. Soon i think im going to be so crazy if i not can complete this so im going to take the PS3 and catch it straight out of my balcony :/

I can say that i bought it and have really try to learn to drive with it. But i am more then 2-10 seconds faster when i use an original PS3 controller and when i use this Force GT. I am little confuse because steering the car with Force GT is much easier then PS3 pad. But to use the pedals (throttle,brake) is for me really hard.

It takes quite a bit of practice to get used to driving with it, you will be slower than you are with DS3 for at least a month I think.

I have only had mine for a little over two weeks and I'm slowly getting up to the same pace I have with the DS3, I am still a few seconds off the pace and have weeks of practice ahead of me before I start to become consistently faster with the wheel. I still get confused using the pedals sometimes because I am in the process of adjusting to using all of my limbs instead of just my fingers and thumbs.

This is an idea of what you could to do with the pedals....these are mine....
DSCF2962.jpg

Last edited:
It's not easy adjusting to a wheel, but stick with it it gets easier with time. As I said earlier my times were slower with the wheel at first but things are getting better.
I have even managed to gold a couple of seasonal events with it, something I never managed to do with the DS3. In fact the time I set for the most recent Red Bull Ring seasonal, at the time of writing, is still in the top 11,000 !!!!!!!! May not seem too good for some of the more professional drivers on here but for me it's nothing short of a miracle lol.

Keep at it it is worth it.

Steve

Hi boys and girls and big thanks to all of you who help me answer my question about my wondering about to buy this or not. I can say that i bought it and have really try to learn to drive with it. But i am more then 2-10 seconds faster when i use an original PS3 controller and when i use this Force GT. I am little confuse becuase steering the car with Force GT is mutch easier then PS3 pad. But to use the pedals (throttle,brake) is for me really hard. And i now that i am not a pro player. But its so boring becuase i have finish all driving licence course but i cant complete the last course when you drive the blue Bugatti. Soon i think im going to be so crazy if i not can complete this so im going to take the PS3 and catch it straight out of my balcony :/
I went through the same thing when I got one. Drove myself nuts getting the hang of it. Stick with it it will get easier. Remember to fine tune the settings to YOUR driving style. I got the exact same wheel and adjusted sensitivity and force feed back and away I went. Its really alot more fun and immersive. STAY STRONG and may the force(feedback) be with you.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will try but i never in my life thought it was so big different and so hard to learn when i bought it :)

Do you drive cars in real life? If not, it may take some time for you to become used to the control mechanisms on cars, which takes a bit of getting used to. And by "bit", I mean that depending on you, it could take days, weeks, or even months.

My recommendation for gaining confidence and skill with the wheel:
  1. turn off the driving line and leave it off.
  2. temporarily switch to automatic transimssion mode to reduce the number of items you have to control "simulataneously"
  3. use roads like nurburgring and drive slowly at first, as if you had to worry about speed traps in a school zone, (to be clear, drive as if there was a deaf kid living somewhere along that road, aye? be safe) only increasing your speed upon successful completion of laps (ie, no, or very few incidents during the lap)
  4. do not backpedal. Stick with the wheel for driving EXCLUSIVELY. Do not backpedal!

Last edited:
@nowcontrol, thanks for that tips. Do you know how long is that rope?

This game is a pretty good race simulation and it should be done with a wheel. You can be super fast with a DS3 but you will not immerse in the game fully without a wheel. I do race car in real life and this game together with a wheel really simulate the real experience. I actually improve my real life driving too by playing this game more and more. Seriously!

• Just take a ferrari 458 to ascari with comfort mediums, no aids and you will get the hang of it, that is what I did

• Just take a ferrari 458 to ascari with comfort mediums, no aids and you will get the hang of it, that is what I did

I finally clear that last course "ascari" but not in a pro time :) Im finish in 2:18. So im improved my best time on that for me as a noob :) so hard course almost 4 seconds faster than before. So i am happy that i unlock the last one

xiando: Yes im driving in real life. And thanks for the tips my friend

the thing i found i was constantly doing was turning out of the turm manualy(Hope you get what i mean) instead of letting the control slide through your hand once you are in the turn exit.

Absolutely, 100% worth it. I played GT 1-4 with the standard controller, switched to the DFGT in GT5 and never went back to the controller, it's so much more fun. Takes a while to get used to it, but there isn't a better way to experience the game.

Back