Logitech G27 vs Thrustmaster T500 RS vs Fanatec GT3 RS (V2).

Who Wins?

• Total voters
I think T500RS is the best for GT5 out of those but limited support on other games made me vote Fanatec.(sorry for voting against general idea for only Gt5 wheel)

I see many friends here use Thrustmaster T500RS.Looks cool but in the Amazon website many customers wrote bad reviews so they make me feel G27 is more safe to buy.But why everyone here is buying T500RS ? It is more expensive?

I care about the size.About G27 is it very small or OK ?
Also about the shifter which one is the most realistic compared to real car driving ?

$600 for a steering wheel to play a videogame is too much. DFGT is great for the price and it has all the buttons and the right thickness and diameter.

If DFGT is $100 then GT500 RS should cost $300 at most. I've seen that wheel inside it has nothing special to justufy the price tag plus it has too much rotation degrees.

FYI the new VW golf GTI has less of rotation lock to lock than even DFGT(just 2 rotations lock to lock), even the new BMW 5 series have only 2 rotations lock to lock. That makes GT500RS best suited for big saloons which makes it unrealistic.

I drive mostly sports cars in GT5 and I don't like more than 720 degrees of rotation. 720 is most realistic for sports cars. Less for F1 and rally cars.

I would never buy GT500 RS be it even cheaper because I don't drive big family saloons in GT5. The 1000+ degrees is mostly Unrealistic.

Last edited:
The 1080 degrees was more of a matketing thing (we've moar deegreees than our concurents!) than actual use. I agree, 900° is plentiful for sim racing. Though you're not stuck with the rotation that the wheel initialy has. On PC you can set whatever degrees you want. The other thing is that such products are always overpriced. Remember, you pay not only for the cost of raw components and labour, but aswell for the reasearch and developement of the product and that usually costs astronomical moneys. You know why Mercedes 190 was so expensive? Makers spent a fortune in developing it so it would last 30 years without falling apart. Though I definitely wouldn't mind if T500 was 200 bucks.

$600 for a steering wheel to play a videogame is too much. DFGT is great for the price and it has all the buttons and the right thickness and diameter.

If DFGT is $100 then GT500 RS should cost $300 at most. I've seen that wheel inside it has nothing special to justufy the price tag plus it has too much rotation degrees.

FYI the new VW golf GTI has less of rotation lock to lock than even DFGT(just 2 rotations lock to lock), even the new BMW 5 series have only 2 rotations lock to lock. That makes GT500RS best suited for big saloons which makes it unrealistic.

I drive mostly sports cars in GT5 and I don't like more than 720 degrees of rotation. 720 is most realistic for sports cars. Less for F1 and rally cars.

I would never buy GT500 RS be it even cheaper because I don't drive big family saloons in GT5. The 1000+ degrees is mostly Unrealistic.

You forgot the fact, that GT5 adjusts the degrees of rotation according to the car you use. So when you use a F1 car in GT5, the degrees of rotation are different to a touring car for example. It is not always locked to the 1080 degrees with the T500. Actually AFAIK GT5 uses a maximum of 900 degrees, even with the T500.

And at least my street car has 1080 degrees of rotation lock to lock.

The other arguments are matter of personal preference. T500 has different/stronger FFB than the DFGT and also better pedals. If it is worth the extra cost is of course matter of personal taste.

For me it is worth it. There are a lot of technical differences between DFGT and T500 starting with gear-driven versus belt-driven etc.

In this case more is not better, scratch that, what I meant to say is that GT5 should've had degrees options like the PC since this is the official GT5 wheel.

LOL I would never buy such a wheel for so much money. If they put a good price then the sales would get better and they would still make a lot of profit.

But they make it so it seems this is a niche product, almost like a limited edition because only die hard sim racing fans will pay so much for it. This way they still get profit, but they don't sell as much. I would think they want to sell more so more people get involved in racing games, it's like benefit for all.

As for Logitech g25 and g27 they have good pedals, but lack of buttons and ugliness make them least wanted choice.

Driving Force GT is still the best of them all for GT5, the pedals are bad, but overall I'd still get DFGT anyday because of the wheel alone. I can mod the pedals so they feel a bit better.

The absolute best is T500RS, it looks fantastic and I bet it feels great too, but the lack of options for rotation ratios in GT5 and price makes it totally unwanted for GT5, even worse than G27 and G25, those ones are just ugly.

You forgot the fact, that GT5 adjusts the degrees of rotation according to the car you use. So when you use a F1 car in GT5, the degrees of rotation are different to a touring car for example. It is not always locked to the 1080 degrees with the T500. Actually AFAIK GT5 uses a maximum of 900 degrees, even with the T500.

And at least my street car has 1080 degrees of rotation lock to lock.

The other arguments are matter of personal preference. T500 has different/stronger FFB than the DFGT and also better pedals. If it is worth the extra cost is of course matter of personal taste.
driven versus belt-driven etc.

I didn't know that. Can you make a video say with an F1 car showing how the steering wheel and
For me it is worth it. There are a lot of technical differences between DFGT and T500 starting with gear-actual front wheels cooperate and how much degrees there are left?

EDIT**

Last edited:
In this case more is not better, scratch that, what I meant to say is that GT5 should've had degrees options like the PC since this is the official GT5 wheel.

LOL I would never buy such a wheel for so much money. If they put a good price then the sales would get better and they would still make a lot of profit.

But they make it so it seems this is a niche product, almost like a limited edition because only die hard sim racing fans will pay so much for it. This way they still get profit, but they don't sell as much. I would think they want to sell more so more people get involved in racing games, it's like benefit for all.

As for Logitech g25 and g27 they have good pedals, but lack of buttons and ugliness make them least wanted choice.

Driving Force GT is still the best of them all for GT5, the pedals are bad, but overall I'd still get DFGT anyday because of the wheel alone. I can mod the pedals so they feel a bit better.

The absolute best is T500RS, it looks fantasti and I bet it feels grteat toom but the lack of options for rotation ratios in GT5 and price makes it totally unwanted for GT5, even worse than G27 and G25, those ones are just ugly.

Actually the G27 is the wheel, which offers the most buttons (20 including paddle-shifters) in GT5. No other wheel offers that. G25 is a different story.

I didn't know that. Can you make a video say with an F1 car showing how the steering wheel and actual front wheels cooperate and how much degrees there are left?

No I can't make such a video. But maybe you can find something on youtube. But you can believe me, it is a fact. Should be the same with Logitech wheels by the way and also with Fanatec (emulated G25/27) as long as you set the sensitivity in the wheel's tuning menu to "off".

For example when I look at this video on youtube I get the feeling that T500RS has too much of spin compared to G27. When you have that kind of speed and that kind of curve you don't spin the wheel as much. On this video for me clearly G27 is more realisitc, while T500RS seems to have too much rotation going on. If you have driven a real car, more so a sporty one, not necessarily a ferrari lol, you would know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJIaQylErY

T500RS reminds me of Logitech MOMO Force the red one, I remember I bought one for GT3. And while the feel was amazing and Force Feedback strong it had too much rotation for GT3, the other wheel I had with just 180 degrees (the blue GT one) felt more at home with GT3. The rotations were more snappy, more sports like and more realistic. The steering sensitivity in GT3 was accomodated for 180 degrees and a wheel with more than that felt awkward.

Still Momo Force was the first wheel to have such high quality to it, felt like a real wheel. I used it for PC sims like GTR 1.

Still that being said, because of being afraid that with T500RS my ferrari will feel more like a family sedan I would not buy it. For PC maybe, but I don't play on PC anymore, only game I do play is GT5, with age Gran Turismo 5 is the only game that sticked to me naturally. The PC sims feel unrealistic to me now as compared to GT5, I'm 30 y.o. a.t.m. But the AI challenge is great on the PC, and online is even better.

Last edited:
For example when I look at this video on youtube I get the feeling that T500RS has too much of spin compared to G27. When you have that kind of speed and that kind of curve you don't spin the wheel as much. On this video for me clearly G27 is more realisitc, while T500RS seems to have too much rotation going on. If you have driven a real car, more so a sporty one, not necessarily a ferrari lol, you would know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJIaQylErY
I don't think you can come to that conclusion from this video. The difference in steering angle is affected by so many things, particularly driving style - for example at 0:23 the guy takes the corner poorly, generating massive understeer - so he ends up adding much more steering angle than was necessary. The other guy using the G27 may be the better driver, might be in a different car, and he's on a different part of the track.

There is no reason why the G27 should require less steering angle - the game should determine the correct steering ratio for the specific car - the fact that the T500 has a higher degree of rotation shouldn't change this.

This is not the first video that my observations are the same. You cannot steer the wheel a lot the more speed you have entering the same corner. I don't know maybe I'm just biased and that's why I see it, but I had this experience before like I said with GT3 and I didn't use that better wheel with it. Sports cars are fun to drive mainly because they feel snappy and controllable.

In the video I can see that the guy entering the very first corner, he has no understeer there at 120 km/h which is a lot he turns the T500RS insanely a lot. That's just my opinion judged by my experience and age. Unless somone makes a clear video showing that there is no difference between T500RS and G27 I would gladly agree.

I voted for G27 since it is the best one for GT5 in my opinion based on my theory that I believe T500RS has unrealistically big rotation ratio, for GT5, that is.

This is not the first video that my observations are the same. You cannot steer the wheel a lot the more speed you have entering the same corner. I don't know maybe I'm just biased and that's why I see it, but I had this experience before like I said with GT3 and I didn't use that better wheel with it. Sports cars are fun to drive mainly because they feel snappy and controllable.

In the video I can see that the guy entering the very first corner, he has no understeer there at 120 km/h which is a lot he turns the T500RS insanely a lot. That's just my opinion judged by my experience and age. Unless somone makes a clear video showing that there is no difference between T500RS and G27 I would gladly agree.

I voted for G27 since it is the best one for GT5 in my opinion based on my theory that I believe T500RS has unrealistically big rotation ratio, for GT5, that is.
It is possible that the wheels behave differently in the sim - we'd need a more scientific test to show this - but it seems highly unlikely that the official GT5 wheel, the piece of hardware developed with a lot of Polyphony's input, would be configured incorrectly. If there are indeed differences in the steering input required, it is far more likely that it is the G27 settings that Polyphony have configured incorrectly.

I played GT5 for many hours with a Driving Force Pro (which presumably behaves very similarly to the G27, considering it is another 900 degree Logitech wheel) before replacing it with a T500. I have never got the sense that I need to add more steering angle compared to the DFP. If anything, it is more precise and delicate around the centre, making me drive with even less steering angle.

The T500 fell off pretty quickly. With the paddles fixed and not moving with the wheel is something I cannot understand why they did. A dealbreaker.

Which is of course why you just order the wheel with the optional Formula wheel with the paddles on the wheel in stead.

I have both the G27 and the T500. Of course I know nothing about the Fanatec wheel, but I see them used much in videos on UT by the pro gamers. But having both the other wheels I feel pretty unbiased when it comes to chosing between the two of these wheels.

I like the G27 and have driven many hours with it so far to great entertainment for me. But when comparing the G27 and the T500RS there is in fact no choice at all. T500 beats the G27 by several miles. Maybe it's a little vague but to me it's a little like comparing sims and arcades where T500 is the sim and G27 is the arcade game. The motor in G27 is extremely weak compared to T500. At the same time there is so much redundant power in the motors in the T500 that it operates at a much lower noise level than the G27 (except for the cooler, but I just changed the fan and now it's practically noiseless).

Take a look at this video too: Click to watch comparison video G25 vs T500. I know this is the G25 and that the G27 is improved, but I still think the G27 is rattelling somewhat like the G25 in the video, and as for the speed of the wheel there is also little (if any) improvement on the G27. (To prove this point pls. watch: Comparison between G25 and G27).

I can also say that I have driven my way through two G27's and are on my third now, whereas my T500 just keeps running and running and running, so in the long run the T500 may even be the most economic investment of the two.

All that being said, you should of course consider your needs. If you are just a casual weekend gamer who likes a couple of hours fun saturday afternoon, then the T500 may be overkill as the G27 gives a little resemblance of drinving a real car with the relatively weak and rattelling FFB. If on the other hand you are a full blown sim enthusiast you would probably not want to settle for less than the T500RS.

The T500RS also comes with much better pedals than the G27 and they have a nice feature where you can turn them around to make them hinged both top and bottm (GT or F1 style). Thrustmaster also make a fabulous H-shifter that is lightyears ahead of G27 with it's programmable layout of movement in a magnetic shifter system that never gets worn down.

But you didn't mention wether money is an issue here, and if that's the case you may want to settle for G27. And don't get me wrong it's still a nice wheel and it will give you loads of hours of fun racing, and it is still a thousand times better than the normal game controller or Keybd!! (yuck!)

And if this is your first wheel you could start by getting a G27 as it is a nice and complete setup with everything included in one box set including an OK shifter and some semi-decent pedals, and after 6-12 months you have a better idea if this is something you want to take to the next level and perhaps spend the extra money on more high end equipment, when the G27 is no longer a satisfactory solution for you.

Especially if you at some stage want to use the wheel for some serious PC sim racing (iRacing, RFactor, SimBin Race07, RaceRoom, Project Cars, etc.), then the choice is more obvious. Then I'd say there's no way around the pro wheels like T500 or perhaps a Fanatec. I know that I'd like to try the Fanatec pedals at some stage as they should be absolutely fabulous and have the most genuine feel you can get.

So as you can see, it is not that simple at all, but no matter what people say you usually get what you pay for. It's up to you whether you want to take it slow and try your hand on racing with a G27 wheel and if you like it upgrade later or if you are the kind of guy that wants the best at first buy. If the latter is the case, you should without any doubt go for the T500 if you as me. And I have both wheels, so this is not just because I haven't tried both wheels.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Having had a G27 previously and now owning a T500, if money isn't a problem and you can justify the expense then look at the T500 - in GT5 it is light years ahead of a G27 wheel.

But like others have said else where in these forums, i feel PD may have "dumbed down" the G2x wheels in GT5.

You'll find there are more owners of Fanatic/Logitech wheels than the Thrustmaster wheels in this forum, so the votes my be somewhat skewed in favour of either of those 2 wheels.

If you can, go and test all 3, most gaming style stores will have a G27 or a T500 setup on a rig.
Which is of course why you just order the wheel with the optional Formula wheel with the paddles on the wheel in stead.

I have both the G27 and the T500. Of course I know nothing about the Fanatec wheel, but I see them used much in videos on UT by the pro gamers. But having both the other wheels I feel pretty unbiased when it comes to chosing between the two of these wheels.

I like the G27 and have driven many hours with it so far to great entertainment for me. But when comparing the G27 and the T500RS there is in fact no choice at all. T500 beats the G27 by several miles. Maybe it's a little vague but to me it's a little like comparing sims and arcades where T500 is the sim and G27 is the arcade game. The motor in G27 is extremely weak compared to T500. At the same time there is so much redundant power in the motors in the T500 that it operates at a much lower noise level than the G27 (except for the cooler, but I just changed the fan and now it's practically noiseless).

Take a look at this video too: Click to watch comparison video G25 vs T500. I know this is the G25 and that the G27 is improved, but I still think the G27 is rattelling somewhat like the G25 in the video, and as for the speed of the wheel there is also little (if any) improvement on the G27. (To prove this point pls. watch: Comparison between G25 and G27).

I can also say that I have driven my way through two G27's and are on my third now, whereas my T500 just keeps running and running and running, so in the long run the T500 may even be the most economic investment of the two.

All that being said, you should of course consider your needs. If you are just a casual weekend gamer who likes a couple of hours fun saturday afternoon, then the T500 may be overkill as the G27 gives a little resemblance of drinving a real car with the relatively weak and rattelling FFB. If on the other hand you are a full blown sim enthusiast you would probably not want to settle for less than the T500RS.

The T500RS also comes with much better pedals than the G27 and they have a nice feature where you can turn them around to make them hinged both top and bottm (GT or F1 style). Thrustmaster also make a fabulous H-shifter that is lightyears ahead of G27 with it's programmable layout of movement in a magnetic shifter system that never gets worn down.

But you didn't mention wether money is an issue here, and if that's the case you may want to settle for G27. And don't get me wrong it's still a nice wheel and it will give you loads of hours of fun racing, and it is still a thousand times better than the normal game controller or Keybd!! (yuck!)

And if this is your first wheel you could start by getting a G27 as it is a nice and complete setup with everything included in one box set including an OK shifter and some semi-decent pedals, and after 6-12 months you have a better idea if this is something you want to take to the next level and perhaps spend the extra money on more high end equipment, when the G27 is no longer a satisfactory solution for you.

Especially if you at some stage want to use the wheel for some serious PC sim racing (iRacing, RFactor, SimBin Race07, RaceRoom, Project Cars, etc.), then the choice is more obvious. Then I'd say there's no way around the pro wheels like T500 or perhaps a Fanatec. I know that I'd like to try the Fanatec pedals at some stage as they should be absolutely fabulous and have the most genuine feel you can get.

So as you can see, it is not that simple at all, but no matter what people say you usually get what you pay for. It's up to you whether you want to take it slow and try your hand on racing with a G27 wheel and if you like it upgrade later or if you are the kind of guy that wants the best at first buy. If the latter is the case, you should without any doubt go for the T500 if you as me. And I have both wheels, so this is not just because I haven't tried both wheels.

Good luck!

And how much faster YOU GUYS became from G27 to TM T500? 1,5 seconds for each minute? 2 to 5 seconds by lap?
Just a guess, since I use a DS3 pad and i'm also looking for a wheel in order to be faster and consistent. I'm tired of losing for rich boys, lol...
And since i play GT5 and will be playing GT6 all days, i'm a hardcore driver/player who needs the best performance and long term reliability.
It seems that G25 and G27 breaks earlier and TS500 gives faster lap times and is also more durable.
Am I right?

Last edited:
I have owned or own a Elite wheel GT2 (both fanatec) currently have a g27 and a T500RS. In my honest opinion the Elite wheel was a close first only because you could preset your functions and the CSP'S. The T500RS is real close to the Elite but lacks in the pedal department. I do have a line on a load cell for the 500 pedals which if works as well as people have said will put the 500 on par with the Elite wheel.
The GT2 and the G27 are very close as well. Again it comes down to the pedals. My pedals have the perfect brake mod added to it which makes it again very close to the CSP'S V1.
Sadly the Elite is discontinued so that is no longer an option. I would say your best bet is the T500 or the GT2/CSR. If you can score a Fanatec and CSP V2 for the same price or close to a T500 I would go that way. Then again I think Fanatec is in some sort of a bind no one has heard any response from Thomas about any kind of future support of his wheels. So to be safe I would go with the T500 only because it has the support in its favor.

Back