Logitech G29 H-pattern manual shifter not working online GT7

Australia
Australia
I use a G29 wheel with H-pattern manual shifter. It works fine in campaign single player however, when I try shifter online its not working anymore. I went out and tried it in single player mode again and it worked perfectly. Before Turismo software update 1.15 my setup was working fine online but since update H-pattern gear shift not working online. Has the H-pattern manual shifter been disabled, banned? Anyone else have same issue?

I use a G29 wheel with H-pattern manual shifter. It works fine in campaign single player however, when I try shifter online its not working anymore. I went out and tried it in single player mode again and it worked perfectly. Before Turismo software update 1.15 my setup was working fine online but since update H-pattern gear shift not working online. Has the H-pattern manual shifter been disabled, banned? Anyone else have same issue?
There have been suggestions it was banned from sport mode as it was giving an unfair advantage in a few of the cars. To add to that you'll notice that the handbrake has been turned off as well as people were using the handbrake to increase turn in on some cars in certain situations.

There have been suggestions it was banned from sport mode as it was giving an unfair advantage in a few of the cars. To add to that you'll notice that the handbrake has been turned off as well as people were using the handbrake to increase turn in on some cars in certain situations.
You would think if its now banned that Polyphony Digital would at least let us know and put it in their patch notes. Pretty sneaky of the developer that they're trying to hide it, just makes them look dishonest.

You would think if its now banned that Polyphony Digital would at least let us know and put it in their patch notes. Pretty sneaky of the developer that they're trying to hide it, just makes them look dishonest.
It was first disabled in sport mode in GT Sport when people found a way to use it to gain an unfair advantage. I'm not sure if PD ever fixed the issue but it would be typical of PD to not fix it and just keep the shifter banned.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny. I love using my H-shifter in Daily A.

No clue how it would yield an unfair advantage though. The clutch implementation is junk and it’s sooooo easy to get mis-shifts

Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny. I love using my H-shifter in Daily A.

No clue how it would yield an unfair advantage though. The clutch implementation is junk and it’s sooooo easy to get mis-shifts
The problem is that it isn't an advantage on all cars or all combos for the cars it helps. So instead of trying to work to fix those certain issues with specific cars and combos they throw a blanket ban on the shifter. Another driver I raced against was gaining almost 0.7 a lap on one combo using it compared to everyone else. This is exactly the same thing they did instead of fixing it in GTS as well. And I don't remember if they made any communication about it then either.

The problem is that it isn't an advantage on all cars or all combos for the cars it helps. So instead of trying to work to fix those certain issues with specific cars and combos they throw a blanket ban on the shifter. Another driver I raced against was gaining almost 0.7 a lap on one combo using it compared to everyone else. This is exactly the same thing they did instead of fixing it in GTS as well. And I don't remember if they made any communication about it then either.
So PD did nerf it in the dailies?

Wasn't it with the cars that didn't have racing transmissions? Something about being able to use the shifter and paddles in combination and pre-selecting some gears with the shifter to get faster changes.

Last edited:
Back in GTS the problem was that it's possible to use both the H-shifter and the paddle shifters at the same time. That (and the fact that manually shifting with the H-shifter was faster than with the paddles, due to the very slow auto-clutch) was exploited.

Example: Imagine driving one of the slower cars at Tsukuba where only the second and third gears are needed. You'd leave the H-shifter stick in third, and while braking for a turn you'd use the paddles to shift down into second, then when accelerating you'd briefly engage the clutch and the car would change quickly into third. Then rinse and repeat for ~half a second advantage per lap.

I don't know if it's the same in GT7, but if it is, a smarter way (not a PD thing - I know) to stop the exploit would be to disable the game's automatic shifter mode switching - like in every other sim where you have to select gear switching mode before entering a race.

Back in GTS the problem was that it's possible to use both the H-shifter and the paddle shifters at the same time. That (and the fact that manually shifting with the H-shifter was faster than with the paddles, due to the very slow auto-clutch) was exploited.

Example: Imagine driving one of the slower cars at Tsukuba where only the second and third gears are needed. You'd leave the H-shifter stick in third, and while braking for a turn you'd use the paddles to shift down into second, then when accelerating you'd briefly engage the clutch and the car would change quickly into third. Then rinse and repeat for ~half a second advantage per lap.

I don't know if it's the same in GT7, but if it is, a smarter way (not a PD thing - I know) to stop the exploit would be to disable the game's automatic shifter mode switching - like in every other sim where you have to select gear switching mode before entering a race.

Has the H-pattern manual shifter been disabled, banned? Anyone else have same issue?
It being disabled in GT Sport, I thought PD made good progress when I found G29 shifter and clutch enabled at the launch of GT7.

But now it does not matter any more. I stopped buying a PS online subscription as grinding for Hagerty cars has been taking all my GT7 time since 2 months, and counting ...

This is disappointing. I just took delivery of a Shifter for my Fanatec DD Pro.
I don't see why it's an advantage? Isn't having a wheel in general an advantage over a controller??
I have premium pedals also, isn't that an advantage? Polyphony has dropped the ball here

Completely agree with this being profoundly disappointing. I’d buy a shifter and good pedals today if it were announced that GT7/PD supported them(online). Thats its 2023 and we are still begging for this stuff is boggling.

I just tested it and how it works in GT7, in a single player race, is that you have to lift the gas pedal and press the clutch to engage the gear already selected in the shifter, so it's slower than just using the paddles where you don't have to lift the gas. So no reason to keep it forbidden from online races?

But maybe the advantage is being able to directly shift from 4th to 2nd when braking for instance? I have no idea.

It wa
I just tested it and how it works in GT7, in a single player race, is that you have to lift the gas pedal and press the clutch to engage the gear already selected in the shifter, so it's slower than just using the paddles where you don't have to lift the gas. So no reason to keep it forbidden from online races?

But maybe the advantage is being able to directly shift from 4th to 2nd when braking for instance? I have no idea.
It was just explained a few pages back from current on the daily race thread. Basically, there was an exploit back in the last game and instead of fixing it they punted on stick shifters entirely. The slacking has continued into gt7. Pity, i’m not faster with the shifter, but its a flippin blast in vr. It breathes life and character in the older cars which is really quite impressive. The old 911 widow makers of the 90’s have been taking me down memory lane and its just so good.

Loving Daily C this week..but if the shifter was available..man..

Last edited:
this is crap. i cannot drive an auto as i need to hit my gears and get in the groove so to speak. slowing down in an auto doesnt feel right either. i simply dont play the race if stick isnt allowed. this works the same as real life as well. when racing you need your groove to be best.
Yeah i’m the same. I don’t play in sport mode because of this. I keep getting confused and messing up because i’m so used to using the shifter.

Luckily it still works in the lobbies, and there is a lot of fun to be had there if you’re lucky. You just don’t get paid.

It wa

It was just explained a few pages back from current on the daily race thread. Basically, there was an exploit back in the last game and instead of fixing it they punted on stick shifters entirely. The slacking has continued into gt7. Pity, i’m not faster with the shifter, but its a flippin blast in vr. It breathes life and character in the older cars which is really quite impressive. The old 911 widow makers of the 90’s have been taking me down memory lane and its just so good.

Loving Daily C this week..but if the shifter was available..man..
I like how they stopped this with the shifter, but in Time Trials, people can quick shift back to 1t gear at 200kmhr, but thats allowed!
Pretty silly

Ok, so here’s how it works(it still works in offline and non daily/GTWC races).

In a manual h pattern car(the only cars this works with), there is always one shift, that takes longer than the rest of them, when using the wheels paddles(which are faster than a clutch/shifter 100% of the time, and it’s not even close if we are talking about pure lap time). So here’s how the trick works, you find the longest shift in the car your using, typically it’s 2nd to 3rd gear. You then stick the shifter in 3rd gear, and proceed to drive normally with the paddles, except one thing. When you are accelerating out of slower corners, instead of using the paddle to shift into 3rd, the longest shift, you just tap the clutch pedal, and because the stick is already in 3rd gear, bam, insta shift. Over a whole lap, it can be worth over 1 second, depending on the car in question.

Last edited:

My shifter is currently on my PC rig and I'm very lazy, but per @Pigems post above it sounds like it still works exactly like how I explained it did on GTS?

Yeah i’m the same. I don’t play in sport mode because of this. I keep getting confused and messing up because i’m so used to using the shifter.

Luckily it still works in the lobbies, and there is a lot of fun to be had there if you’re lucky. You just don’t get paid.
lobbies i love. really fun. i wish they would pay out on a so many credits per mile. id be in lobbies a lot more if so between down times.

I like how they stopped this with the shifter, but in Time Trials, people can quick shift back to 1t gear at 200kmhr, but thats allowed!
Pretty silly
I don’t. If fact its a horrible missed opportunity and a lazy ‘fix.’

Without much thought it seems easy enough to make it so if you swap mid race from paddles to stick and vice versa, that you incur engine damage. Additionally, if you blast down with the flappys, in an unrealistic way, you should incur the same damage, which would clear normally when crossing into the next sector.

Im sure there are many other ways. It just feels so weird in vr to try to drive a 911 from the 90’s with flappys. Stick has this visceral fun quality of control which is just so good in vr with the older rides.

Not for nothing. Stick will be used by a much more ‘love of the game,’ swath of the player base. You can never have too many of those personalities in online competition.

I don’t. If fact its a horrible missed opportunity and a lazy ‘fix.’

Without much thought it seems easy enough to make it so if you swap mid race from paddles to stick and vice versa, that you incur engine damage. Additionally, if you blast down with the flappys, in an unrealistic way, you should incur the same damage, which would clear normally when crossing into the next sector.

Im sure there are many other ways. It just feels so weird in vr to try to drive a 911 from the 90’s with flappys. Stick has this visceral fun quality of control which is just so good in vr with the older rides.

Not for nothing. Stick will be used by a much more ‘love of the game,’ swath of the player base. You can never have too many of those personalities in online competition.
Someone above proposed the perfect (and probably easiest to implement) fix; in the options where you chose between automatic and manual, they just need to alter that to a choice between automatic, manual (paddles), and manual (stick).

Simple enough, it would seem.

Someone above proposed the perfect (and probably easiest to implement) fix; in the options where you chose between automatic and manual, they just need to alter that to a choice between automatic, manual (paddles), and manual (stick).

Simple enough, it would seem.

It’s been like this since GT5, they ain’t fixing it, ever.

It’s been like this since GT5, they ain’t fixing it, ever.
Yea i guess there probably aren’t enough people driving stick for them to feel it’s worth the resources assigning someone to come up with a proper solution.

It’s a shame i’d have quite liked to whup everyone’s arses in sport mode

Last edited:
Back