Logitech G29 - Shifter Mods/Improvements

• Thread starter Coryd
  • 56 comments
Hey all, so I recently purchased a Logitech G29 with a Playseat Challenge and am LOVING it. This setup is a huge improvement over my old DFGT with Wheelstand Pro.

One thing that I was not super happy with though is the G29 shifter - although it makes gameplay much more fun over the paddle shifters, it just looks and feels kinda cheap. So far I have done two small things that have made a big difference: a new shift boot to replace the plasticky one that comes with it, and a new aluminum shift knob to add some weight and feel.

Original:

driving-force-shifter.png

New suede shift boot (black with red stitching to match the Playseat Challenge):
35428694075_307ebc7e20_c.jpg

New black aluminum shifter with accurate shift pattern:
35262213302_3f411178ed_c.jpg

34586731654_5f2d76b487_c.jpg

I also have the 3Drap shifter mod coming to add some resistance to the throw so it feels less like a toy - I will update after I install it. But I have to say, even with the new boot and shifter, it already feels much more real and like less of a toy. So much better!

Update: I recently received the 3Drap G29 shifter improvement mod in the mail - took about a week to arrive from Italy.

https://www.3drap.it/product/mod-cambio-gearbox-logitech-g25-g27-g29-improved-feel/

The package comes with two 3D-printed pieces that you place inside the G29 shifter mechanism. You have to take the shift knob and boot off, but it's not that complicated. The result is a shift that has significantly more resistance, with a more realistic notchy feel. Kinda feels like my dad's Cooper S shifter!

It cost me about $30 shipped from Italy, which does sound like a little much for a couple small plastic pieces, but it really did make a noticeable difference, so I'm happy with it. Definitely recommend!

Hey how did you put that's shift knob on?

The shift knob came with a couple plastic adapters. After removing the stock knob, I just slid the adapter onto the shifter and then screwed the new knob on. Easy peasy.

I was kinda worried that it would come lose with heavy use, but it's on there pretty tight - no issues.

Hey all, so I recently purchased a Logitech G29 with a Playseat Challenge and am LOVING it. This setup is a huge improvement over my old DFGT with Wheelstand Pro.

One thing that I was not super happy with though is the G29 shifter - although it makes gameplay much more fun over the paddle shifters, it just looks and feels kinda cheap. So far I have done two small things that have made a big difference: a new shift boot to replace the plasticky one that comes with it, and a new aluminum shift knob to add some weight and feel.

Original:

New suede shift boot (black with red stitching to match the Playseat Challenge):

I also have the 3Drap shifter mod coming to add some resistance to the throw so it feels less like a toy - I will update after I install it. But I have to say, even with the new boot and shifter, it already feels much more real and like less of a toy. So much better!
Looks really good! Where did you get that shift boot?

Original:

What does the shifter feel like to use compared to the other one? The knob not the reinforcement, and does the stitching on the shifter fabric cover come in different colours?

What does the shifter feel like to use compared to the other one? The knob not the reinforcement, and does the stitching on the shifter fabric cover come in different colours?
I have the same knob. It is heavier and made out of solid aluminum I think. Feels a lot better then the leather covered plastic one.

Yep, like PocketZeven said, the new knob is made out of solid aluminum, so it has more weight than the original plastic knob. It definitely feels more realistic.

As for the shift boot, I'm sure it comes in other colors. Just do some searching on Amazon, it was not difficult to find.

Looks awesome! As much as I love the G29 & it’s pedals I’m really not a big fan of the shifter. It feels very toy like and clunky.
After seeing this I’m definitely gonna get rid of that aweful “leather” cover. It sounds like a thick plastic bag when I’m shifting.
Iv also been considering the shifter mod to alleviate that clunky feeling and get a more realistic feel however when looking I notice that they also have a sequential mod so I’m undecided as whether to stick with an upgraded H or go for the sequential instead. I like the idea of sequential shifting plus it would also be beneficial for those using a 7 speed car since I’m guessing the shifter would be remapped to the same buttons as the paddles.
Your seem to be experienced with shifter Mods so I’d love to hear what you think

Looks awesome! As much as I love the G29 & it’s pedals I’m really not a big fan of the shifter. It feels very toy like and clunky.
After seeing this I’m definitely gonna get rid of that aweful “leather” cover. It sounds like a thick plastic bag when I’m shifting.
Iv also been considering the shifter mod to alleviate that clunky feeling and get a more realistic feel however when looking I notice that they also have a sequential mod so I’m undecided as whether to stick with an upgraded H or go for the sequential instead. I like the idea of sequential shifting plus it would also be beneficial for those using a 7 speed car since I’m guessing the shifter would be remapped to the same buttons as the paddles.
Your seem to be experienced with shifter Mods so I’d love to hear what you think
Don’t know about the OP, but I think any sequential mod for this shifter won’t satisfy you. It’s basically inserting a foam insert. It will not give you the positive click feeling when shifting. I sold the shifter for th8a and it’s a much better design for the money. There are better mods for this one that give you that tactile feeling. The H pattern on the Logitech did have a more “realistic” feeling though with the mod. But too plasticy. Personally I don’t think it’s worth it to mod the Logitech shifter to a sequential.

Don’t know about the OP, but I think any sequential mod for this shifter won’t satisfy you. It’s basically inserting a foam insert. It will not give you the positive click feeling when shifting. I sold the shifter for th8a and it’s a much better design for the money. There are better mods for this one that give you that tactile feeling. The H pattern on the Logitech did have a more “realistic” feeling though with the mod. But too plasticy. Personally I don’t think it’s worth it to mod the Logitech shifter to a sequential.

Thanks for the reply. When you say positive click feeling are you referring to the H mod or the sequential mod?

Thanks for the reply. When you say positive click feeling are you referring to the H mod or the sequential mod?

The sequential. In my experience H shifters don’t have positive clicks. Sequential do however. (Not from experience but watching on rally on tv)

Yeah I'd agree here. For sequential shifting, I'd just stick with the paddles as they already feel great.

The 3Drap shifter mod I did really helps with feel, but if you get one I would recommend getting the carbon upgrade. The regular 3D printed plastic feels great at first, but wears down after a few months of use.

If only you could use a th8a shifter with a G29 on PS4...

Last edited:
Yeah I'd agree here. For sequential shifting, I'd just stick with the paddles as they already feel great.

The 3Drap shifter mod I did really helps with feel, but if you get one I would recommend getting the carbon upgrade. The regular 3D printed plastic feels great at first, but wears down after a few months of use.

If only you could use a th8a shifter with a G29 on PS4...
You need to use grease to increase longevity.

I just ordered the same shifter I think and thinking about that heavier duty h pattern mod from 3drip (the one you recommended over the one you got)

Hey, how did you installed this shift boot?
It would be nice if you let me know :)

You need to trim the boot so that it is the right size (it's way too big now) and then punch holes around the bottom where the screws will go in. If you look at the shifter, there are 6 screws around the base. Those screws need to go through the boot in order to secure it.

You need to trim the boot so that it is the right size (it's way too big now) and then punch holes around the bottom where the screws will go in. If you look at the shifter, there are 6 screws around the base. Those screws need to go through the boot in order to secure it.
Okay thank you but with which tools do I have to trim this because of the stitches? I don't want to pay for this again and wait for it again.

Back