LongbowX's Gallery - Update 10.2 - NEW 2/8

• Thread starter LongbowX
  • 146 comments
Awesome close up shot of the rim. That would work really well as a print on Kodak Endura Metallic paper.

Well hi there. It stunned me to find that I haven't touched this thread since May. This is some how should I say....light fondling.

I've been experimenting with "texture". I've always really enjoyed photographs that seem to have a texture - I don't know why it appeals to me, but it does. But regardless, these have been some of my experiments. It's more of a "concept" post, as there is a unifying theme. I highly recommend you look at the full-view, as I think it can only be appreciated when viewed up close. Especially the dark profile shot.

...Using...a..."local model." (except the dark one, that was my friend)

(This one does have a full-size....it didn't seem necessary)
img2303er.jpg

I really like how this one is laid out in the frame...

img6514edf.jpg

Also, I was going to enter this in one of the Auto Comps a while back, but I didn't. I am fairly happy with how the background turned out - considering how the original photograph looked. Also, the Elan's colour goes well with the background as well. I think so, anyway.

img1487gtp.jpg

And I'm really putting this one here just...for reference really. So it doesn't get lost among the Auto Comps. And to bring it up in time for consideration as there may be calendar that is rapidly approaching...hmm...

28493396.jpg

Oh, and I'll have something else soon that I didn't have time to get ready now. Something again a bit different, but I think it turned out well.

Last edited:
Sheesh... talk about taking your time with updates :lol: I kid, I kid. Great work can't be rushed. That blue racecar is wicked. Love the textures of the background. Almost looks like a painting.

I've already commented on the GTR before, love it every time I see it. 👍

Now onto the experimental arty shots. I dig them. The dark silhouette shot works for me a little better than the others, probably because the darkness of it gives it more impact.

Sheesh... talk about taking your time with updates :lol: I kid, I kid. Great work can't be rushed. That blue racecar is wicked. Love the textures of the background. Almost looks like a painting.

I've already commented on the GTR before, love it every time I see it. 👍

Now onto the experimental arty shots. I dig them. The dark silhouette shot works for me a little better than the others, probably because the darkness of it gives it more impact.

Mm. It's not that great work....but it's something, at least. I don't really know how long the wait will be again after this, though.

I really do like the blue Elan, simply for the background as that texture was not there originally, and I was glad I could bring it out.

I wasn't expecting anyone to like them, they're too odd and obviously something only I would like.

Thank you though, I appreciate it as always.

I reckon the blue Elan looks pretty good. As you mention the background colour tones really set it off. It's a very vibrant blue. 👍

As for the experimental shots, I feel the same as Syntax. The black one works best I feel. The higher contrast in tones plus the mostly shadowed aproach suits the grainy texture better to me.

Is that PS's reticulation filter? Because it looks a bit like it to me.

GPR
I reckon the blue Elan looks pretty good. As you mention the background colour tones really set it off. It's a very vibrant blue. 👍

As for the experimental shots, I feel the same as Syntax. The black one works best I feel. The higher contrast in tones plus the mostly shadowed aproach suits the grainy texture better to me.

Is that PS's reticulation filter? Because it looks a bit like it to me.

Well...thanks. It's not my best work or anything, but I was mostly satisfied with what I had done.

Mm, you are probably right. I think the others simply appealed to me, as I enjoy its wispy white and the "detail" of the texture. I find it interesting, in any case. I enjoy the fact it is so abstract, in fact I have some with no subject in them at all. I do like that one, however that both of you have mentioned. However I have a feeling that this experiment was mostly unsuccessful and boring to other people.

And, it is the reticulation filter. You have to work with a bit, and it only works with some shots, and not others.

I really appreciate you commenting, too. Thanks.

Also, since no one said anything and in case it wasn't obvious - when I said a..."local model" I really meant "me" and "obviously not a model." :lol:

Last edited:
Also, since no one said anything and in case it wasn't obvious - when I said a..."local model" I really meant "me" and "obviously not a model." :lol:

I've seen a similar shot the first one using a "local model" as you put it (or is it that same shot?) on either your flickr or devart site a fair while back but never made the connection... :dunce:

Nice to put a face to the name in any case. I certainly don’t think it was unsuccessful at all. The shots are great and the minimalistic approach is great. The darker shot steels away the focus however as the dark tones have a very strong impact.

I've seen a similar shot the first one using a "local model" as you put it (or is it that same shot?) on either your flickr or devart site a fair while back but never made the connection... :dunce:

Nice to put a face to the name in any case. I certainly don’t think it was unsuccessful at all. The shots are great and the minimalistic approach is great. The darker shot steels away the focus however as the dark tones have a very strong impact.

Well...I actually put up the dark one a few weeks ago on DeviantArt, but as I mentioned it's the only one that isn't me, but I usually have a photo of myself of some kind on there though, just not any of these (I usually feel that is best to have a photograph of me as my "ID".) but it's probably similar to it in some way.

I have slightly changed since these were taken: I have gotten a haircut. :P

I had done this a while ago, in August for a course I was taking. I enjoyed doing it. I can't quite decide if I like the darker version, or the lighter one though. Anyway...there's only a subtle difference. This is the darker one. I thought the lighter one worked better with the backdrop in terms of vibrancy.

61896256.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty good Chris, but my liking of it may also be swayed by the fact that I'm a porsche fan. :sly:

But from a graphic design point of veiw its pretty decent. I assume its a poster or generic ad of some sort?

Am also interested in seeing the lighter variant you mentioned.

As for the cars in there, was that from one shot? or were they comp'd together in PS? either way good job on that. 👍

GPR
That's pretty good Chris, but my liking of it may also be swayed by the fact that I'm a porsche fan. :sly:

But from a graphic design point of veiw its pretty decent. I assume its a poster or generic ad of some sort?

Am also interested in seeing the lighter variant you mentioned.

As for the cars in there, was that from one shot? or were they comp'd together in PS? either way good job on that. 👍

Well, I'm glad it is swaying in...some way.

I'm not much of a graphic artist. At all. I would say it's some kind of poster. You're going at me with these purpose questions but I really just did it for fun, and it fulfilled the requirements of the course I was taking at the time (which was a Photoshop course, not a graphic design).

The lighter version is just that, a little lighter and more vibrant. I chose this one because it preserved the detail more in the reflections and such on the cars.

The cars were all one shot. My shot...in my studio...

Thanks. ^^

Well, I'm glad it is swaying in...some way.

I'm not much of a graphic artist. At all. I would say it's some kind of poster. You're going at me with these purpose questions but I really just did it for fun, and it fulfilled the requirements of the course I was taking at the time (which was a Photoshop course, not a graphic design).

The lighter version is just that, a little lighter and more vibrant. I chose this one because it preserved the detail more in the reflections and such on the cars.

The cars were all one shot. My shot...in my studio...

Thanks. ^^

Ah fair enough, just assumed it was more of a graphic design specific project. In any case I think it works as a poster quite well.

The photo element itself looks good and almost illustrative in treatment which works well for a poster particularly with cars of that age.

The only thing I felt was a little off was the tranparency of the windows ove the coloured shapes. They look a bit milky and light, not transparent enough. But it's pretty minor.

Tell ya what though, has kind of got me in the mood to do some auto posters just for fun. 👍

Damn Chris!. I actually didn't realise they were models until you mentioned it in the subsequent post.

GPR
Ah fair enough, just assumed it was more of a graphic design specific project. In any case I think it works as a poster quite well.

The photo element itself looks good and almost illustrative in treatment which works well for a poster particularly with cars of that age.

The only thing I felt was a little off was the tranparency of the windows ove the coloured shapes. They look a bit milky and light, not transparent enough. But it's pretty minor.

Tell ya what though, has kind of got me in the mood to do some auto posters just for fun. 👍

Yeah...it's not really my thing. I got that. It was a requirement - and for my first dedicated "graphic design" it didn't turn out as bad as I thought it would...

Mm. I'll keep that in mind. I stopped working on this a month ago...and hence forgot what I wanted to polish. I don't think that was one of them though. :lol:

I hope your own posters go well. I bet they will be spectacular.

Damn Chris!. I actually didn't realise they were models until you mentioned it in the subsequent post.

No point doing a poster with 'em if I can't fool people. :P

Well, hello...people who might read this thread. I haven't updated this in some time. In fact, the last post was about a year ago. I spent most of that time being unhappy with many things. And, I mostly still am. But at this moment I decided to let GTP in to what Flickr has been experiencing for the last year. Which isn't much, granted. I'm still not content with these. I'll mostly put them in chronological order. Though some were simply edits of older shots. There are some people I respect very much here, so that is why I'm taking the time to update...now.

On a related note. Discussions about the 2012 Official GTP Calendar, and if there is going to be one, should be starting soon. We'll probably go with the same format as last year. Probably. We'll see what comes of it.

---

Nissan GT-R "Shoot"

I merely am including this so that it doesn't get lost. It was in the 2011 GTP Calendar, after all.

Nissan R35 GT-R, Part II by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

ALMS Mosport 2010

I've always really liked this shot. For whatever reason.

JOY IS by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

BMW M3 ALMS GT2 V by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

BMW M3 ALMS GT2 III by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

BMW M3 ALMS GT2 IV by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

Muscle Milk Porsche RS Spyder II by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

Muscle Milk Porsche RS Spyder by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

I edited this one later on, this year. There is also a black and white version on Flickr which I'm quite fond of.

Dyson Mazda Lola Prototype (Colour Version) by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

This was another I found later and edited.

Corvette C6.R GT2 by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

2011 Vintage Racing Festival

This is one set I have really neglected. I will have to revisit this set sometime. I'm sure I can pull a bunch out of it.

BMW M1 I by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

2011 Molson Indy Toronto

I shot for one day here.

Honda Indy 2011 II by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

Honda Indy 2011 IV by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

Honda Indy 2011 VI by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

Honda Indy 2011 VII by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

Honda Indy 2011 VIII by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

ALMS Mosport 2011

This is the first time I only shot for one day here, also. There is also more from this set, probably.

ALMS Mosport 2011 Flying Lizard #44 II by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

ALMS Mosport 2011 Flying Lizard #44 by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

ALMS Road America 2011

I went to Road America this year, for the first time. Stunning track, and I immensely enjoyed going there. There is also more from this set, which will be seen...as always...whenever I actually feel like working on it.

ALMS Road America 2011 RLL BMW E92 M3 GT #56 by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

The Muscle Milk team were kind enough to Retweet this when I mentioned I had taken a shot of their lovely machine.

ALMS Road America 2011 Muscle Milk Lola Aston Martin by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

ALMS Road America 2011 #12 Autocon Lola by LongbowX.CKphoto, on Flickr

That is all for now. Who knows, maybe there won't be anymore. I think that is more likely by the day. Eventually.

Last edited:
Wow it has been a while Chris. I haven't even been on flickr in a long time so most of these are new to me. I'll head over shortly to check out what you've been up to. I see you are still overly critical of your work. These shots are amazing. Particularly digging the ALMS & Indy shots. All of them!

It most certainly has. There really isn't too much else on Flickr, just a couple things. Really...the only reason I use Flickr at all (versus....nothing I suppose), is because Adam is there. And we've become good mates. I look at his work there, and he sometimes manages to convince me to post something, whether he is actively*poking* me to or not. He usually does though. Overly critical, eh? I suppose so, but nevertheless I remain unsatisfied. But I'm glad you think that they are 'amazing'. It gives me some reason to continue, for the moment.

An excellent update again, great stuff, the garage shot would be my pick of them, just a nice balanced piece of composition.

Have you not looked at getting a photobook printed, they are a great idea and resonable cheap as well. You own shots with text in a bound hardback book, all arranged by yourself and ordered on the web.

This site is in the UK.....

http://www.photobox.co.uk/shop/photo-books

...but should give you an idea of what I am trying to explain.

Scaff

I wondered if anyone would notice that. I found it distracting. Among other things that I were wrong with it. I really chose it for one reason: to break up the other motion shots. It was the only GT3 Challenge car I photographed in the garage. And, I didn't like it to begin with. It's amazing I managed to do anything with it at all. It was really bad originally, the lighting was terrible there. I assume by detail in the shadows, you mean underneath the car. I could do something about that...but I don't think it would make all that much of a difference. And I'm not a fan of the shot anyway...>_< Thank you for the critique though, I appreciate it. ^^

Heh. Thanks. ^^ Especially considering all that I just said about it. XD

That sounds like my house:

"Do you think I put up a car picture above the Fireplace?"

"...No. I want something nice. Like flowers."

"Cars are nice! Especially this 1985 Ferrari 288 GTO!"

"........No they are not."

I really like the book idea though, I've been looking for some kind of book I can put 8x10's in or something like that. No luck though. I would like a book of my work to show people, sometimes. Thank you for that website, as well. I will definitely check it out. Maybe for the basement we are renovating I can find a place for one or two. I agree, things look so much better in print...
Hi Longbow

Late to the party here but I actually found a site that does really nice 8 x 10 prints - https://inkifi.com/prints/large-format-prints.html

They are great value as well, hope that helps!

Back