• 99 comments

Tom

Voice of Gran Turismo
Premium
United Kingdom
Kent
tombrookscomms
Hello!

I’m thinking about moving back to the UK within the next year or so due to changing work circumstances, and having not driven properly since I moved to Barcelona, I’d like to invest in a nice car when I move home.

Before I moved, I was 19 and due to astronomical insurance prices and a general lack of budget over £2000, it was quite limited as to what I could afford. However, I’m now 21 so insurance will be that little bit cheaper, and I have a healthier budget too.

I’m looking to spend between £10,000-£15,000 and I am thinking about some kind of hot hatch, like a Golf, BMW 1 Series, or Mercedes A Class, or similar. With regards to the latter, I went to look for cars the other day and found a 2015 A180 Sport in Blue with 15,000 miles on the clock for £13,500, which seemed quite tempting.

However, I’m open to ideas and very keen to get some opinions from real world experience. So please, fire away with anything!

I’ve heard good things about all of those. Never particularly been a fan of the new Mini, but the 1 Series and Golf I do like.

Opel Adam is appealing. Far from being the best choice for the given price, but it is chic, and will give you a dose of exclusivity.

Opel Adam is appealing. Far from being the best choice for the given price, but it is chic, and will give you a dose of exclusivity.

Got to be honest, but Vauxhall’s just really don’t appeal to me. Every time I’ve sat in one it feels quite bland, like the car has no personality. Moreover, I’ve driven a recent Corsa and given it’s based on the same platform, I don’t think driving it will be anything to write home about.

Thank you however, I really appreciate it.

Tom
I’ve heard good things about all of those. Never particularly been a fan of the new Mini, but the 1 Series and Golf I do like.
If looking for an A class, A250 seems better choice but a bit pricey. Given new A class coming out soon, think out of the cars it will drop in price the most. I think M135i represents better value and sounds so much better than most of the cars in its price range while also being quicker too but probably hard to get decent one in your budget. Mini has got rev matching and sounds better than Golf too, very responsive and more cool inside. Worth test driving one, great value too and they hold their price well. Car manufacturers should go back to retro designs, Honda Urban EV looks great.

Something like S3 or Golf R great for all year round due to AWD but are about £17,000 though. GTI is solid option in your price range too, better value than the Mercedes and likely hold its value better too. Would also mention Megane RS but they are probably a bit old now and the new model, the 1.6 TCe will probably depreciate too much to be worth getting.

Whatever car you end up getting, make sure to try and get Xenon or LED headlights as it makes a huge difference in terms of visibility. Also sat nav is a good option to have, feels less basic then.

Edit: Forgot to mention there are a lot of other options, there's stuff like the 308 e-THP, Pulsar 1.6, Giulietta 1.4 TB, Polo GTI, Fiesta ST etc. Given your original choice of looking at A180, I think you would quite like something like a Leon 1.4 TSI 150 FR.

Last edited:
I'd consider the Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf, they're fun cars and very good value for money, and I think they look excellent. Harry Metcalf recently reviewed his son's Giulietta.

I found a 20k mile 04 reg Civic Type R which seems like an interesting proposition.

@homeforsummer Seemed to really enjoy the Kia Pro C'eed GT that he ran for a while, and those are easily within your budget.

You can't really go wrong with a GTI, however I'd be quite tempted to also look at the Leon Cupra as you'll get a much more powerful car which is otherwise pretty similar to the Golf, and I think it looks a bit nicer.

If you're wanting something a bit more on the premium side then you can actually get a low mileage 320i for your budget.

Personally, I'd be wary of something like a Golf R or M135i until you've gotten a few insurance quotes as I suspect that they'll be quite expensive to insure. Even the Cupra or CTR would probably be borderline on that front, but you don't really know until you check, so I'd start running quotes to see what sort of costs you're looking at if you haven't already done so.

M135i ( manual/auto both good) would be good if the insurance isn’t too OTT. N55 is a really good engine, turbocharged but still has plenty of character. Powerful 1ers could really do with a diff though. If not an M135i you could get a slightly older E82 135i Coupe with the N55 with a manual or 7 speed DCT.

If you want a jack-of-all trades and good on running costs I don’t think you could go wrong with a Golf GTi.

Please don’t get an A-Class, I don’t understand the appeal of them, they look stupid.

@Beeblebrox237 Is there any appeal to a four pot petrol 3 series? I know I might be biased :rolleyes: but it just seems like if you’re going for four-cylinder you may as well get a diseasel. Maybe the more powerful two litre 328i/330i is more enjoyable but I don’t have any experience of that engine.

If looking for an A class, A250 seems better choice but a bit pricey. Given new A class coming out soon, think out of the cars it will drop in price the most. I think M135i represents better value and sounds so much better than most of the cars in its price range while also being quicker too but probably hard to get decent one in your budget. Mini has got rev matching and sounds better than Golf too, very responsive and more cool inside. Worth test driving one, great value too and they hold their price well. Car manufacturers should go back to retro designs, Honda Urban EV looks great.

Something like S3 or Golf R great for all year round due to AWD but are about £17,000 though. GTI is solid option in your price range too, better value than the Mercedes and likely hold its value better too. Would also mention Megane RS but they are probably a bit old now and the new model, the 1.6 TCe will probably depreciate too much to be worth getting.

Whatever car you end up getting, make sure to try and get Xenon or LED headlights as it makes a huge difference in terms of visibility. Also sat nav is a good option to have, feels less basic then.

Edit: Forgot to mention there are a lot of other options, there's stuff like the 308 e-THP, Pulsar 1.6, Giulietta 1.4 TB, Polo GTI, Fiesta ST etc. Given your original choice of looking at A180, I think you would quite like something like a Leon 1.4 TSI 150 FR.

Great suggestions, thank you. A GTI is a viable option, but again depends on insurance above anything else.

I like the idea of a Fiesta ST and that seems like a potentially good option. Moreover, my Father works for Ford so if they have a used one on the forecourt there's a possibility of getting some discount off of one. I am interested in the build quality of them however - I know it won't be a BMW/Mercedes level, but if I got one with the 1.0 EcoBoost engine, I'd definitely have to look into reliability.

I'd consider the Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf, they're fun cars and very good value for money, and I think they look excellent. Harry Metcalf recently reviewed his son's Giulietta.

I found a 20k mile 04 reg Civic Type R which seems like an interesting proposition.

@homeforsummer Seemed to really enjoy the Kia Pro C'eed GT that he ran for a while, and those are easily within your budget.

You can't really go wrong with a GTI, however I'd be quite tempted to also look at the Leon Cupra as you'll get a much more powerful car which is otherwise pretty similar to the Golf, and I think it looks a bit nicer.

If you're wanting something a bit more on the premium side then you can actually get a low mileage 320i for your budget.

Personally, I'd be wary of something like a Golf R or M135i until you've gotten a few insurance quotes as I suspect that they'll be quite expensive to insure. Even the Cupra or CTR would probably be borderline on that front, but you don't really know until you check, so I'd start running quotes to see what sort of costs you're looking at if you haven't already done so.

Again, fantastic suggestions so thank you. I'll have to contact the man from the Pru and get some rough ideas (perhaps see if @Famine and his Sewlaws Ghuul account are still around!).

Am I right in thinking that the Golf and the Cupra still share the same wheelbase? I recall it being the same a few years ago, but I could be wrong now!

Also, the ProC'eed is quite a tempting option - I think they genuinely look fantastic.

Please don’t get an A-Class, I don’t understand the appeal of them, they look stupid.

I think it's different strokes for different folks though. I like the look of them, but I'd definitely have to drive it before making a judgement.

Do you want something ‘sporty’? I just don’t think an A-Class is that interesting.

Tom
Am I right in thinking that the Golf and the Cupra still share the same wheelbase?
Yep, they're on the same platform so the 2012+ Leon Cupra shares a wheelbase with the Golf 7.
Do you want something ‘sporty’? I just don’t think an A-Class is that interesting.
I don't think they're very interesting but I do understand the appeal of wanting something Golf sized but a bit more premium.
@Beeblebrox237 Is there any appeal to a four pot petrol 3 series? I know I might be biased :rolleyes: but it just seems like if you’re going for four-cylinder you may as well get a diseasel. Maybe the more powerful two litre 328i/330i is more enjoyable but I don’t have any experience of that engine.
Insurance and running costs, mainly. They're also 'fast enough' even though they don't have quite the character or punch of the straight 6 models. You still get a great chassis but without having to pay for a big engine.

Yep, they're on the same platform so the 2012+ Leon Cupra shares a wheelbase with the Golf 7.

Good stuff. I know the Golf chassis is very solid (as expected really), so that's a plus point.

I did look at a Scirocco whilst back in the UK and thought that was quite nice, though they've just gone out of production and use the Golf Mark 6 chassis, which is getting a bit long in the tooth technology-wise now.

Yes. After looking at some reviews of it though, it appears to be a typical Mercedes - overpriced and under delivering, given that the driving experience is apparently not that great. That said, I'd have to make my own judgement and drive one first I think.

Last edited:
Tom
Good stuff. I know the Golf chassis is very solid (as expected really), so that's a plus point.

I did look at a Scirocco whilst back in the UK and thought that was quite nice, though they've just gone out of production and use the Golf Mark 6 chassis, which is getting a bit long in the tooth technology-wise now.
The Scirocco is still quite a nice car, and I think it's more interesting than the Golf.

Tom
That said, I'd have to make my own judgement and drive one first I think.
👍 The best advice I can give is to test drive everything and make your own judgements, sometimes you'll be surprised with what you like.

A few more candidates I found on autotrader which are on the sportier side:
Audi TT
Peugeot RCZ
Toyota GT86
Mazda MX-5

The Scirocco is still quite a nice car, and I think it's more interesting than the Golf.

👍 The best advice I can give is to test drive everything and make your own judgements, sometimes you'll be surprised with what you like.

A few more candidates I found on autotrader which are on the sportier side:
Audi TT
Peugeot RCZ
Toyota GT86
Mazda MX-5

I'd forgotten about a lot of the cars you'd recommended. I really do like the GT86 but had disregarded it as I thought it would be out of budget - however that price and mileage is potentially very tempting.

Tom
I'd forgotten about a lot of the cars you'd recommended. I really do like the GT86 but had disregarded it as I thought it would be out of budget - however that price and mileage is potentially very tempting.
Yeah, 12-15k seems to be the sweet spot for them at the moment. I think they've depreciated more than expected since most people would rather have a more powerful, faster, more practical hot hatch as opposed to the driver-oriented GT86. If the GT86 interests you then you might also want to look at the following:
BMW 220i
Honda S2000
The Honda CR-Z is really cheap for what it is
Clio 197
Megane RS
Civic Type R

As with before, insurance quotes are going to be key to determining what you can afford to run, especially with things like the S2000 and CTR.

And a couple of left field suggestions:
Porsche 944 with 23k miles
Porsche Cayman 987 - if you can afford to run it then there's a good chance you'll be able to sell it for a profit in 5-10 years

Yeah, 12-15k seems to be the sweet spot for them at the moment. I think they've depreciated more than expected since most people would rather have a more powerful, faster, more practical hot hatch as opposed to the driver-oriented GT86. If the GT86 interests you then you might also want to look at the following:
BMW 220i
Honda S2000
The Honda CR-Z is really cheap for what it is
Clio 197
Megane RS
Civic Type R

As with before, insurance quotes are going to be key to determining what you can afford to run, especially with things like the S2000 and CTR.

And a couple of left field suggestions:
Porsche 944 with 23k miles
Porsche Cayman 987 - if you can afford to run it then there's a good chance you'll be able to sell it for a profit in 5-10 years

I think both Porsche's will be a little bit out of my budget for now due to insurance. However, those other suggestions are somewhat tempting...

I don't think I'd be interested in either the CR-Z or Renaults, the latter due to reliability more than anything, and just a general feeling of cheapness whenever I sit in a Renault. The S2000 and 220i look good though!

I really like the 2 series, I know it's fundamentally just a less practical 1 series but I think it looks so much better.

I’m not a fan of non M-Sport F (and now G) series BMWs, they always look a bit too high and plain.

I’m not a fan of non M-Sport F (and now G) series BMWs, they always look a bit too high and plain.
I'm the opposite actually, I much prefer the non-M spec cars as I feel the M-Sport variants look like they're trying a little too hard.

I'm the opposite actually, I much prefer the non-M spec cars as I feel the M-Sport variants look like they're trying a little too hard.

Personally, the 220i that was recommended looks a little plain to my eyes. In terms of aesthetics, I definitely prefer the 1 series (2012 onwards) as it looks more correctly proportioned.

Tom
Before I moved, I was 19 and due to astronomical insurance prices and a general lack of budget over £2000, it was quite limited as to what I could afford. However, I’m now 21 so insurance will be that little bit cheaper, and I have a healthier budget too.
One wrinkle there is that, unless you've been keeping and insuring a car in the UK for that whole time, you won't see the biggest benefit: No Claims Bonus/Discount. Indeed you may even have lost what NCB you'd built up due to not taking out car insurance for two years - car insurers can be a bit mean like that.

If you haven't already, it'd be worth pushing a couple of quotes through one of the genero-comparison sites for the cars that interest you. Generally, newer cars are better to insure at the same value, because they're safer and you're less likely to die (dying is the big kicker with car insurance; replacing a £10k car is one thing, paying £500k for your injuries - or £2m for your death - is what really bothers them) - but that's not a dead cert...

I would be lightly surprised if any insurer would even quote you on a Porsche Cayman. Anything with AMG, M, GTI, RS or similar in its name is also likely to be... uncheap.

Personally, I do quite like how the A-Class looks - although it depends on the colour - but I can't abide the ride on most of them.

Tom
Great suggestions, thank you. A GTI is a viable option, but again depends on insurance above anything else.

I like the idea of a Fiesta ST and that seems like a potentially good option. Moreover, my Father works for Ford so if they have a used one on the forecourt there's a possibility of getting some discount off of one. I am interested in the build quality of them however - I know it won't be a BMW/Mercedes level, but if I got one with the 1.0 EcoBoost engine, I'd definitely have to look into reliability.
Best to check on website like MoneySuperMarket, do quote for one car and then go back and change car and you should quickly be able to get quote for multiple different cars rather quickly.

I think better to get the 1.6 EcoBoost engine which the old ST is, I don't see the point of the 1.0 engine as a lot of more performance petrol engines are better on fuel.

Soon as you like 1 Series more than the 2 Series, what about something like following which is facelift and with newer engine. M Sport model with Xenon headlights and sat nav: Link

It's got the B38 engine so one in the Mini Cooper or based on the i8 engine whichever way you like to look at it and should be cheap to insure.

One wrinkle there is that, unless you've been keeping and insuring a car in the UK for that whole time, you won't see the biggest benefit: No Claims Bonus/Discount. Indeed you may even have lost what NCB you'd built up due to not taking out car insurance for two years - car insurers can be a bit mean like that.

If you haven't already, it'd be worth pushing a couple of quotes through one of the genero-comparison sites for the cars that interest you. Generally, newer cars are better to insure at the same value, because they're safer and you're less likely to die (dying is the big kicker with car insurance; replacing a £10k car is one thing, paying £500k for your injuries - or £2m for your death - is what really bothers them) - but that's not a dead cert...

I would be lightly surprised if any insurer would even quote you on a Porsche Cayman. Anything with AMG, M, GTI, RS or similar in its name is also likely to be... uncheap.

Personally, I do quite like how the A-Class looks - although it depends on the colour - but I can't abide the ride on most of them.

I'll most likely have lost the NCB as you said due to not running a car over here for a couple of years. That said, I've been a named driver on my girlfriend's car for the last year or so, but I'm not sure if that will count towards anything.

I think you're absolutely bob on with regards to the insurance. I'll run a few quotes on some when I'm home and see what the outcome is, then hopefully be able to to draw up a shortlist.

Re: A Class. I really do like the look of them but I've read things about the ride and handling which do put me off slightly - again, would have to drive it to make a judgement.

I think better to get the 1.6 EcoBoost engine which the old ST is, I don't see the point of the 1.0 engine as a lot of more performance petrol engines are better on fuel.

Soon as you like 1 Series more than the 2 Series, what about something like following which is facelift and with newer engine. M Sport model with Xenon headlights and sat nav: Link

It's got the B38 engine so one in the Mini Cooper or based on the i8 engine whichever way you like to look at it and should be cheap to insure.

The ST is a very tempting option and as mentioned above, with my Father working for Ford there's a possibility of being able to haggle a second-hand one down quite a lot. The new design has a very nice looking front end but I really don't like the rear at all, looks too much like the Kuga and isn't my cuppa at all. So, a 2016/7 model would be more desirable for me.

I'll take a look at the 1 Series too. The last 1 Series I drove (2010, 116i) was very nice - smooth, comfortable, not necessarily that quick but very enjoyable.

I’m pretty sure in most cases being a named driver doesn’t get you any NCB, sorry :indiff:

Tom
The ST is a very tempting option and as mentioned above, with my Father working for Ford there's a possibility of being able to haggle a second-hand one down quite a lot.
If you do go for an ST, beware... Despite almost everyone saying how great they were, I personally found the ride abysmal - from the tyres right up to the seats it was so unforgiving.

Customers seemed to agree in general, and Ford very quietly changed the rear suspension settings on all of the ST models, and then introduced the ST200 with the new settings and crowed about the new suspension. That change happened some time late in 2015 and it's a completely different car as a result. 45 minutes in the 2013 ST on the roads of West/North Yorkshire was torture for me, even on the motorway. I drove the ST200 all day long, on similar surfaces (although France's back roads are rather better) without any issues at all.

Make sure you get as late a car as you can, with that in mind.

Tom
I'll most likely have lost the NCB as you said due to not running a car over here for a couple of years. That said, I've been a named driver on my girlfriend's car for the last year or so, but I'm not sure if that will count towards anything.
I’m pretty sure in most cases being a named driver doesn’t get you any NCB, sorry :indiff:
Yes, it's usually the case that it doesn't count towards anything, but sometimes it does and it almost always prevents you losing any of your own previous NCB.

Tom

I think you're absolutely bob on with regards to the insurance. I'll run a few quotes on some when I'm home and see what the outcome is, then hopefully be able to to draw up a shortlist.

Re: A Class. I really do like the look of them but I've read things about the ride and handling which do put me off slightly - again, would have to drive it to make a judgement.

The ST is a very tempting option and as mentioned above, with my Father working for Ford there's a possibility of being able to haggle a second-hand one down quite a lot. The new design has a very nice looking front end but I really don't like the rear at all, looks too much like the Kuga and isn't my cuppa at all. So, a 2016/7 model would be more desirable for me.

I'll take a look at the 1 Series too. The last 1 Series I drove (2010, 116i) was very nice - smooth, comfortable, not necessarily that quick but very enjoyable.
Co-Op car insurance allow up to 3 years old NCB to be used.

I would say though Fiesta looks quite dated inside and for me best small car I have ever driven is the Mini Cooper S, I miss having one :(. Focus ST-2 I think represents better value than the Fiesta, at least it looks a bit more modern inside and also quicker too. (Link)

The 1 Series I linked to is also a Ford dealership, maybe able to knock down price of that? Rare also to get a RWD hatchback which makes it quite unique.

I would say though Fiesta looks quite dated inside
I rode in a friend's Fiesta Titanium last week and and it was a world apart from my housemate's Zetec, so I think the Fiesta is quite spec-dependent. That said, I like the interior on the new Fiesta a lot better. And speaking of, you can actually get a nearly new Fiesta Titanium of the new generation within your budget. On that note, if we're looking at nearly new superminis my choice would be a top spec Suzuki Swift as I reckon it's one of the few fairly sensible new cars I'd consider buying. Our own homeforsummer reviewed one for Evo and he seemed to really enjoy it.

Oh, and I'm guessing the 500 Abarth is a bit too small for your needs?

Last edited:
Co-Op car insurance allow up to 3 years old NCB to be used.

I would say though Fiesta looks quite dated inside and for me best small car I have ever driven is the Mini Cooper S, I miss having one :(. Focus ST-2 I think represents better value than the Fiesta, at least it looks a bit more modern inside and also quicker too. (Link)

The 1 Series I linked to is also a Ford dealership, maybe able to knock down price of that? Rare also to get a RWD hatchback which makes it quite unique.

I'll have to look into the NCB, find out a bit more about it for the the time comes.

The last Mini I drove was a 2002 plate and that left me disappointed - the steering was overly heavy, the ride felt awful, and the interior felt very budgeted. Granted, I haven't driven one from recent years, so perhaps I should look into that too.

I rode in a friend's Fiesta Titanium last week and and it was a world apart from my housemate's Zetec, so I think the Fiesta is quite spec-dependent. That said, I like the interior on the new Fiesta a lot better. And speaking of, you can actually get a nearly new Fiesta Titanium of the new generation within your budget. On that note, if we're looking at nearly new superminis my choice would be a top spec Suzuki Swift as I reckon it's one of the few fairly sensible new cars I'd consider buying. Our own homeforsummer reviewed one for Evo and he seemed to really enjoy it.

Definitely agree with regards to spec on the Fiesta as it makes a world of difference. I think the Swift and Abarth are just a bit too small for what I want; a lady I work with here in Spain has the 595 and whilst it's nice enough, it's also bloody small and therein quite impractical if you need to take say more than two people with you.

I didn't know they made a new one, was only looking at STs available to buy. Ford look like they are having cuts in their design department, they've given their MPV look to the Fiesta. :( Still looks a bit cheap though inside but at least a more modern look to it, finally long overdue infotainment upgrade. Mini looks and feels so much more premium inside. It is like BMW's guinea pig of their future cars, first to get B48 engine which might be in the new Supra. Also start of their UKL platform and first to really push LED headlights and mood lighting in a small car. They also experiment a bit more with their i cars as well.

Going to lose a lot in depreciation buying either though, something like Polo will probably holds its value better and they aren't really lookers, rather have something like 118i M Sport personally. Looks better and the B38 engine can sound really good, Jeremy Clarkson was likening the one in the i8 to a Ferrari V12. Also might keep it's value better if the new 1 series does not have a RWD option and if they make it look worse which appears might be the case looking at some spy shots.

Tom
I'll have to look into the NCB, find out a bit more about it for the the time comes.

The last Mini I drove was a 2002 plate and that left me disappointed - the steering was overly heavy, the ride felt awful, and the interior felt very budgeted. Granted, I haven't driven one from recent years, so perhaps I should look into that too.
Can be a bit pricey Co-Op but worth it if you got a year or two to save, should mean when going with another insurer, you will likely save a lot for the following year.

The F56 (2014 On) is first proper BMW one and it shows! Test drive a Cooper S in Sport mode if you can, I warn you though it can be quite addicting. Here is a review of one (Language warning):

Can be a bit pricey Co-Op but worth it if you got a year or two to save, should mean when going with another insurer, you will likely save a lot for the following year.

The F56 (2014 On) is first proper BMW one and it shows! Test drive a Cooper S in Sport mode if you can, I warn you though it can be quite addicting. Here is a review of one (Language warning)

Thanks for this. I'll take a look at the Mini shortly.

Finally got around to running some quotes tonight and here were the results:

2014 BMW 1 Series 116i Sport: £1200
2015 Ford Fiesta ST-2 1.6: £1800 with telematics, £2200 without
2014 Mercedes A Class A180 Sport: £1000 with telematics, £1200 without
2015 Mini Cooper S 2.0: £1500 with telematics, £1800 without
2012 Toyota GT86: £1500 with telematics, £1800 without
Audi A3 TDI 1.6: £1100 with telematics, £1200 without

Back