Looks like the Audi R8 its broken :\

• Thread starter Trend00
  • 103 comments
Dominican Republic
Dominican Republic
cyberstudio
its just me or the Audi R8 its completely broken? it drives like a viper without traction control. Even the most gentle turn will make it spin :\

PD: Im talking about the R8 5.2 FSI Quattro '09

its just me or the Audi R8 its completely broken? it drives like a viper without traction control. Even the most gentle turn will make it spin :\

I agree, in GT5 it was solid as a rock so I thought I would give it a run at Willow Springs in the S Class race, all over the place with it. Even adding a notch of TC didn't help, neither did the differential help. :(

Several of the MR cars are a bit tricky. The easy fix is to add a little ballast weight and shift it to the front. The troublesome cars are ones that are heavy in the rear, bring the balance to 50:50 and they drive fine.

I have also found that you can use that liftoff oversteer to your advantage and go through corners faster if you do it right but takes a bit to get a handle on. Basically brake before the corner then keep your foot on the gas a bit lift as you enter and when the rear starts to step out give it a bit more gas but not so much as to get wheel spin. When done right you get just a slight drift from the rear and allows the corner to be taken faster. I was doing this in the XBow with a good bit of success on Bathhurst tonight, quite a bit of fun but you will spin from time to time until you get a good feel for it.

It seems that the new physics for the MR cars makes them a hell of a lot twitchier then GT5, which in a way is good as GT5's were too dull and had a strong penchant for under-steering. GT6 has overshot a little bit too much the other way.

It has made car set-ups much more important now which is a good thing but the overall balance just needs a tiny nudge back.

Oversteer is a strange problem in GT6... many of the things that fixed it in GT5 can make it worse now :indiff:
Suspension settings where reversed in GT5, reports say that this has been corrected in GT6. Settings should now work as advertised in the in-game tips

That being said, The R8 still wants to kill me no matter whet I try. I have a feeling it is connected to oddities in the physics engine responsible for cars to perform huge stoppies. A MR has all its weight in the back, if it comes slightly off the ground under braking and you turn in, you have a free moving mass in the back. You can also feel some FR cars "dance" under heavy braking.

I think its a simple case of driving technique. I have been using a Mk2 MR2 Turbo quite frequently and at first I was all over the place. After the changes made to the physics for GT6, the fact is that you can't simply throw a mid engined car into a corner and expect the weight behind you to obediently follow in line. Once I drove more smoothly, the car didn't feel as scary. I'm guessing the same will apply to the R8.

I think its a simple case of driving technique. I have been using a Mk2 MR2 Turbo quite frequently and at first I was all over the place. After the changes made to the physics for GT6, the fact is that you can't simply throw a mid engined car into a corner and expect the weight behind you to obediently follow in line. Once I drove more smoothly, the car didn't feel as scary. I'm guessing the same will apply to the R8.

I have tunes for mr2 turbo that can get an easy 1:25 on Deep forrest at 500pp on SH tyres. With the right settings I can viryually dial out the massive tendency to spin.

Unfortunately the car is PP imbalanced. I.e it has worse handling or weight at the same BHP and PP as some other cars including the MR2 G Limited 97...crazy.

Unless you've actually driven an R8 in real life I doubt you can really say it's "broken".

It may handle differently to what you experienced in GT5.

Let me know when you've driven a real one... Your statement may then carry some credibility.

Unless you've actually driven an R8 in real life I doubt you can really say it's "broken".

It may handle differently to what you experienced in GT5.

Let me know when you've driven a real one... Your statement may then carry some credibility.

Very good point :cheers: Many people state "This or that car is broken" just because another game simulated it's behaviour differently. As you said, unless we've actually driven a real R8 V10 we have no legitimate point of comparison.

I haven´t tried the R8 yet (AWD) but there´s something odd with MR cars witouth a doubt.

I´m driving with a DFGT, and I took the Huayra for a drive on Ascari... And dear god, the car just won´t stay on track.

CS tires, no ABS, no TCS, no ESP, No nothing... and it just won´t turn not even at 55 mph without trying to kill me... And OF COURSE I DON´T HAVE A HUAYRA IRL, but we´ve all seen videos about the handling, and everybody says it´s pure marvel. Here with the most gentle gas, or if you dare to lift-off while turning, and the back end just goes...

Then I tried with ABS 1 + TCS 2 and it´s just the same.

The next turn was with SH tires, and it was a little better, but there´s no doubt a weight transfer problem here.

Everytime we see a FR car doing stoppies, at least the driving wheels have weight. But whenever you brake on a MR car the weight goes way up to the front, and the back starts lifting.... and on an MR car that´s not what you´d want. There´s no more traction on the rear wheels and that´s why they snap. And then when the weight shifts back the wheels suddenly gain traction, and then it´s worse because the car it´s sideways already.

Then I go and race on arcade, on professional, (slider to 10) in Deep Forest. With the same car. And believe me, I was holding the DFGT for dear life. On that track (as Ascari) the elevation changes make it quite hard to drive. I just manage to get a 3rd place on a 5 lap race. And I have to use TCS 1 - ABS 1 - SH - NO ESP or Skid recovery and REAL off track traction.

They should tune the weight transfer a little down. On FR cars was different because that allows you to trow the car into the apex and let the back slide a bit and then with a gentle lift off, the car straights, but on MR it´s just too much. WAY too much.

The Hyura would never have CS type tires mounted in real life, ever. And trying to take most of the turns in the first half of Ascari at 55-60 mph on CS is going to end poorly. The hyura would have SS type tires like P-0 or another performance type tire (mostly because of the speed rating).

Of course, and that´s why I´ve put SH tires, with the exact same result. And I wasn´t talking about the first or second turn, btw. It´s the handling itself wich it weird, not exactly that car :)

Some of the cars are just weird with their oversteer, IMO. For example, I complete 3/4th of a corner with the throttle on about half of the bar, with not even a squeak from the tires. Then I gently apply throttle as I exit the corner, and without steering I magically end up with a spinning car. Now i'm no racecar driver, but I think it's a little strange, especially without steering.

Unfortunately the car is PP imbalanced. I.e it has worse handling or weight at the same BHP and PP as some other cars including the MR2 G Limited 97...crazy.

Really?! Where were you to warn me when I was buying this car? :lol:

The ones that are talking about how a car handles...are using a Wheel or DS3? Did you guys know that when you turn with your controller, the wheels of the car turn way faster than with an actual wheel?

I have rFactor 2 on PC, one of the top notch real simulators on PC...I made a test a while back because my wheel was broken...So I tried it with a controller...it was impossible to drive any car in the game with it. Literally.

Why is this? Because you can´t turn the wheels in specific degrees to make an actual realistic turn with a controller, the movements are quicker and not as accurate. Also add to that the null FFB in a controller...so it will be easier for you to not know what the car is going to do once you are turning or accelerating. Even if you are looking at the car with the chase cam.
How to react with precision if you can´t make the wheels turn in the right angle? You just can´t, you are always counteracting what you did before while turning and all.

Those of you who have a wheel and feel the same...I just may say "Wow guys try one of the PC simulators and you will rage quit in 2 minutes if you can´t handle GT6 physics..."

Also I don´t want to be the "bad guy" here because I don´t feel the same way as some of you...but it is true that not all physics in all cars are correct.

Also the example with the Audi, those cars in real life use TC. They use it because of the amount of power they have and because since the car has a really tight suspension, it will make little jumps all the time, without traction control you´ll loose grip and the car won´t respond and you even can loose it in the middle of a straight.

The Corvette C6 GT uses traction control and most of FIA GT Cars...just to let you know...

But we in the game never use it...that´s when the problems comes.

Just my 2 cents.

The ones that are talking about how a car handles...are using a Wheel or DS3? Did you guys know that when you turn with your controller, the wheels of the car turn way faster than with an actual wheel?

I have rFactor 2 on PC, one of the top notch real simulators on PC...I made a test a while back because my wheel was broken...So I tried it with a controller...it was impossible to drive any car in the game with it. Literally.

Why is this? Because you can´t turn the wheels in specific degrees to make an actual realistic turn with a controller, the movements are quicker and not as accurate. Also add to that the null FFB in a controller...so it will be easier for you to not know what the car is going to do once you are turning or accelerating. Even if you are looking at the car with the chase cam.
How to react with precision if you can´t make the wheels turn in the right angle? You just can´t, you are always counteracting what you did before while turning and all.

Those of you who have a wheel and feel the same...I just may say "Wow guys try one of the PC simulators and you will rage quit in 2 minutes if you can´t handle GT6 physics..."

Also I don´t want to be the "bad guy" here because I don´t feel the same way as some of you...but it is true that not all physics in all cars are correct.

Also the example with the Audi, those cars in real life use TC. They use it because of the amount of power they have and because since the car has a really tight suspension, it will make little jumps all the time, without traction control you´ll loose grip and the car won´t respond and you even can loose it in the middle of a straight.

The Corvette C6 GT uses traction control and most of FIA GT Cars...just to let you know...

But we in the game never use it...that´s when the problems comes.

Just my 2 cents.

Did you read my post?
When you finish reading it, I must add that I set the DFGT to Simulation, with 6 FF and NO assist.

And, if I may, do you have GT6? With wich setup did you drive on it?

The Mk1 MR2's are pretty twitchy too but quite fun to tame. A real mk1 gives you a brief warning dose of understeer followed by a fairly wide window of controllable oversteer followed by an ubrupt scary piroette if you're really ham-fisted.

The mid-engined cars in GT6 are way too snappy, but my biggest gripe is that the front wheel drive cars do not have any lift-off-oversteer. It was there in the Nissan Leaf in the Acadamy demo, but sadly missing in the full game.

Last edited:
Audi R8 GT3 is very hard to drive, even on racing soft tires, oversteer all over the place...

So it's not just me? I took out the Audi R8 LMS ultra 15th Anniversary Edition on High Speed Ring and promptly spun in the first turn, and the esses, and pretty much everywhere else. It was hugely disappointing! I fell in love with the car in part due to GT5. This was the stock setup on racing hards with traction control:3 and ABS:1. I realize (IIRC) that it is rear-wheel drive as opposed to the street version's 4WD, but c'mon! How do these cars ever get around a track if they really handle like a slippery turd (pardon my French). I don't have enough credits yet to get a street one.

Back