Looks like wall riding is extinct in gt4

  • Thread starter Thread starter cobragt
  • 56 comments
  • 4,201 views
I hope wall riding is gone. Although your car shouldn't just come to a hault. You should have to regain control. Normally a car will get out of shape. The same should happen here.
 
Hard to say.. that second vid (with the wall-riding) seems more a case of a person who doesn't know how to drive (at least in the game). Had a friend of mine over playing GT3 a few weeks ago, and he was doing much the same thing. If someone's unfamiliar with how to get off the wall, you can easily get "stuck" like that. There were impacts in the other race (Paris) that didn't bring the car to a dead halt.
 
It's a nice improvement.. I like it
 
I particularly like the part in the HK vid...the first wall hit, where he hits, and seems to lose total control...
 
Sven
I particularly like the part in the HK vid...the first wall hit, where he hits, and seems to lose total control...

AI car is bumping him in the side. :)
 
The last time I can remember riding walls trying to win a race was when I was maybe 10 or 11 (which for me was like... 1992-1993) playing the old NES game "R.C. Pro Am." I wasn't even into cars, but the game was fun. And I know I'm more of an aggressive racer, especially when I have to. Just like in most American sports, you don't stop until you get that "W." I haven't seen the videos, but if that means that someone is grinding me into the wall, that I stop in an effort for some jackass to rear end me like I don't exist?

If that's the case, this is reminding me of another game that is rather b*tchy when it comes to hitting a wall = the Ridge Racer series. When I see the videos, I'll talk about it later.
 
A welcomed addition. Maybe deduction of points could be a new feature aswell.
 
aww man...this kind of sucks...........i remember setting some really badass times by riding the walls...........sigh.....
 
only time for wall riding was super speedway endurance with escudo...

But why would anyone who likes playing GT wall ride?

Artz
 
WhiteSW20
But why would anyone who likes playing GT wall ride?

Good point. I've only done it on a handful of occasions, and only temporarily. I forget the specifics, but it was a lengthy race, non-endurance.. last lap, or second-to-last lap, and I screwed up somewhere, off the track, spun around, lost first place. In order to get the win, I had to drive like a maniac for that last lap and a half, which included wall-riding. While it worked, it would only have worked in that circumstance.. end of the race. Because driving that way absolutely shredded my tires, the very end of the race was the only place I could get away with it, where the tires would still be "good enough" for that last lap. Otherwise, it's rather worthless. That's one of the things I like about most of the real-world tracks, is you can't wall-ride, since the wall is some twenty or thirty feet off the track (Fuji is a good example, I don't think there's a wall closer to the track than twenty feet, anywhere except pit lane). So if you try wall-riding there, you just leave the track and your position, it forces you to drive properly.
 
My view is ANY GAMES allowance for the player to be able to wall-ride, is akin to a bug.

In the real world if one was to try wall riding, the friction that would result would not let you do anything like what the game lets you achieve, you'd be lucky to be achieving 10km/h after 50 meters...

One day wall-riding will R.I.P., and I don't think there'll be many mourners at the funeral, and the ones that will attend will be in disguise, so the rest of us don't know who they are/were.
 
Wall riding in Opera Paris doesn't seem to harm too much still.

Have you thought about Ice Arena?! How wall riding will be important there? I'm afraid the easiness to improve lap times by wall riding will ruine that track. :nervous:
 
Ya never know about that Ice Arena, the snow banks might just make you stop dead. It's a possibility.
 
Wall riding in previous GTs was stupid, I mean yeah GT has no damage but it can still have relevant physics to make impacts, including wall riding, more severe. Anyway downloading vids so I'll see in a short while.

Only times I used wall riding in previous GTs was either I was extremely bored (Which was quite a lot of the time in GT3) or fallen asleep 'at the wheel' in a endurance race. :ouch:
 
T5-R
Only times I used wall riding in previous GTs was either I was extremely bored (Which was quite a lot of the time in GT3) or fallen asleep 'at the wheel' in a endurance race. :ouch:

Falling asleep at the wheel used to happen to me alot with GT3, im sure it had hypnotic tendancies, because it would even happen during short races :crazy:
 
The Agitator
aww man...this kind of sucks...........i remember setting some really badass times by riding the walls...........sigh.....
jack.gif
 
cobragt
Check out the last bit of that vid, look at how the car hits the wall and completely stops.
Yeah, becasue he was braking all the time. I don't see anything different to what happens in GT3 in those 2 vids.

Wallriding will still exist. Until you get damage in the GT series, wallriding will always exist 👎
 
daan
Yeah, becasue he was braking all the time. I don't see anything different to what happens in GT3 in those 2 vids.

Wallriding will still exist. Until you get damage in the GT series, wallriding will always exist 👎

yeah I noticed that too.

cease and desist with the propaganda cobra.
 
Dont be too quick to jump on him this time. If youre going 130+ in a car and you hit the wall dead on, wouldn't the car stop moving?
 
well i like it, and also the cars look a lot heavier than anything ive seen in GT series so that makes me happy too, I always try not to hit the walls and in previous GT'S if i did then i wasn't punished enough to make me take it serious, but now looks like staying away from the walls is going to become top of the list of things to do. :@)
 
hellnback
My view is ANY GAMES allowance for the player to be able to wall-ride, is akin to a bug.

In the real world if one was to try wall riding, the friction that would result would not let you do anything like what the game lets you achieve, you'd be lucky to be achieving 10km/h after 50 meters...

Genious...

If you don't have a clue about what you are on about then why post? If you have ever watched any motorsports you would have seen cars crash into walls and lose almost no speed at all. Indy is good for this when the cars often travel quite some distance dragging everything against the ground and the wall before slowly comming to a holt. I can imagine that if the drivers still had the throttle wide open the cars would never slow or stop simply because of friction comming from the wall.

In any event wall riding in GT4 will be the fastest method just like it has been in EVERY GT game so far. Wall riding would be the fastest method in real life also if the cars and driver could take the impact, and they will in GT4.
 
TriplePlay
Dont be too quick to jump on him this time. If youre going 130+ in a car and you hit the wall dead on, wouldn't the car stop moving?

You really think an object with the mass of a car is going to hit a wall at that speed and simply stop? The energy has to go somewhere (absolutly dead on the energy would go up and back).
 
i rember one time i was too lazy to complete one of the endurance races.....i picked the fastest car i had and put a piece tape on the analog stick to hold it up.....i let her rip and came back every couple minutes to check to make sure it did not get hung up....that was good.....
 
There is only one solution too wall riding....damage.

"ho ho, im gonna wall ride"

*starts wall riding*

"wtf, my cars dead"

Coba, I gotta agree with daan.
 
code_kev
There is only one solution too wall riding....damage.

"ho ho, im gonna wall ride"

*starts wall riding*

"wtf, my cars dead"

Coba, I gotta agree with daan.
Ever tried to drive Grand Prix Legends with "damage off" ?

Even without damage you don't want to touch a wall, as you're destabilised and the risk to loose control is too big.

Wall riding can be perfectly discouraged without damage, GPL proves it.
 
what so if in a tight race, slightly over shoot a corner, hit the wall stop dead, lose the race that would suck
 
If it was'nt for the wall...How do I stay on the track .....''RUBBIN IS RACIN''.....
 
Back