Looks like wall riding is extinct in gt4

  • Thread starter Thread starter cobragt
  • 56 comments
  • 4,201 views
Buggy Boy
Ever tried to drive Grand Prix Legends with "damage off" ?

Even without damage you don't want to touch a wall, as you're destabilised and the risk to loose control is too big.

Wall riding can be perfectly discouraged without damage, GPL proves it.

exactly! a loss in car control from force of impact is enough to stop wall-riders in their tracks. Rather than stopping a car, hitting a wall hard will thoroughly unsettle it, making it very hard to regain your rythm without slowing down.
 
stumpydino
what so if in a tight race, slightly over shoot a corner, hit the wall stop dead, lose the race that would suck

Why would that suck???
What happens in real life???
If you hit the wall, your car would be damaged and you probably lose the race. That's what racing is all about.
 
rolo
Why would that suck???
What happens in real life???
If you hit the wall, your car would be damaged and you probably lose the race. That's what racing is all about.

or you could limp it back to the pits and battle your way back through the ranks. That would be cool.
 
Meh, it's not like you didn't slowdown after hitting the wall in Gran Turismo 3. It's the same as GT3 but now in GT4 there's some shaking.
 
I thought the game also took away control while the shaking occured, possible to get out of shape if you bounce back toward track.
 
You guys got me all worried here a second! Then i watched the movie and was relived! What are you talking about? I cant see any real problems with car "completely stops"! When you said that, i were thinking Ridge Racer 1-2, which had a EXTREMELY irritating feature when you accidently just slightly touched the side, KABLAAM,, 0mph and every other cars swoosh past! Wipeout 1 had this nice little bonus with the hovercrafts too!

:crazy:

As long as it isnt like that, im fine!
 
True or False?
I heard that time will be added to your lap every time you hit a wall
 
CarbonFiber Man
jack.gif
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's the shiznit smilie. Where'd you get that from man?
 
This guy just can't drive that's all. Break times are wrong, acceleration is wrong Turning is wrong.
 
Has it has been said before,


If you have to wall ride, you shouldn't be playing Gran Turismo.

As for me, I stay on course, and when you stay on course, you don't go near the wall unless the wall comes to thr track. Still I don't go near the wall. The wall really doesn't seem to help. If you have to use the wall to get low times, then you don't need to be racing. You're a disgrace to us real racers.
 
Some people in here need a bit of a "tune-up". I think. It would help if they actually played a GT game, before posting their B.S. I can flame some of the guys in here, so bad. They are making themselves too easy.

I don't agree with comming to a hault, after hitting the wall. I'd rather the car got out of shape. I mean if you watch a street race and a car taps the wall. The car will probably dart across the track. That's what I'd want.
 
DRIFT4EVA
Some people in here need a bit of a "tune-up". I think. It would help if they actually played a GT game, before posting their B.S. I can flame some of the guys in here, so bad. They are making themselves too easy.

I don't agree with comming to a hault, after hitting the wall. I'd rather the car got out of shape. I mean if you watch a street race and a car taps the wall. The car will probably dart across the track. That's what I'd want.

Yeah. When a racer hits a wall, he/she usually bounces off and goes in another direction.
 
Exactly.

Also. It should be easier to turn an opponent around. I was watching the DTM round at Oschersleben(SP) and Snieder got taken out so easily. Off topic I know, but it sort of does come under this. Your car will probably react the same way, as if you hit a wall instead.
 
Oh, when the racer gets the back tire area? Yeah, it would seem you could do that. GT3 AI just fights back though. Not that a true racer would actually would want to take out another racer just b/c he can't win though.
 
I was meaning Racing Incidents. Eg Two racers fighting for the same piece of Tarmac. They'll either both getaway with it or both will wind up in tears. One being turned around and the other serving a Drive-through Penalty. Only once I have actually turned the AI around.
 
The Agitator
aww man...this kind of sucks...........i remember setting some really badass times by riding the walls...........sigh.....


Wrong game buddy, go play need for speed underground if you want to do stupid stunts like that.
 
SaintKamus
Wrong game buddy, go play need for speed underground if you want to do stupid stunts like that.

too bad the online mode aint in the game........id smoke ya.....and i wouldnt even have to touch a wall...
 
Watch what you say agitator. You're coming close to violating the AUP.

:cheers:
 
TriplePlay
Watch what you say agitator. You're coming close to violating the AUP.
Why? What's wrong with that? I just thought it was funny. If he's that fast he could "smoke" someone without even knowing how fast that other person is, then why isn't he in the WRS?
 
McLaren F1GTR
Oh, when the racer gets the back tire area? Yeah, it would seem you could do that. GT3 AI just fights back though. Not that a true racer would actually would want to take out another racer just b/c he can't win though.

it was like trying to sideswipe a train. I remember slamming into a Lotus elise with a chevy corvette, and it actually pushed me off my line (!)
 
Not really car physics there if you ask me. I know in Toca 1, you could do that so easily, but I feel a racer shouldn't need to cheat like that. Even if they are annoying AI.


And dude. Everyone can get smoked by someone else. That's why there never really is a master or king of a game. There's always someone better. This goes for racing at the most.
 
daan
Why? What's wrong with that? I just thought it was funny. If he's that fast he could "smoke" someone without even knowing how fast that other person is, then why isn't he in the WRS?
True, very true. But he isn't in the WRS, he hasn't proven himself, and in my eyes he looks like a jerk. I guess I just interpreted it the wrong way. I don't like cocky people unless they've earned it, and he's just a newcomer who has nothing to brag about. :p
 
McLaren F1GTR
Not really car physics there if you ask me. I know in Toca 1, you could do that so easily, but I feel a racer shouldn't need to cheat like that. Even if they are annoying AI.

I was just experimenting... that and I braked too late.

Anyway, that stuff happened all the time in GT3 because the A.I. defied physics to follow it's racing line. What I've seen of GT4 indicates that the problem is greatly diminished, so all that's left is to wait a month and a half to see for myself.
 
Buggy Boy
Ever tried to drive Grand Prix Legends with "damage off" ?

Even without damage you don't want to touch a wall, as you're destabilised and the risk to loose control is too big.

Wall riding can be perfectly discouraged without damage, GPL proves it.


We have another genius...

GPL cars are old and are also open wheelers. Those old F1 cars with paper thin tyres and mid engines want to spin when they hit an ant, I'd expect them to want to spin when they hit a wall. They are also open wheelers which means that the rubber contacts the wall and should if GPL is as hardcore as people make out make the touching wheels want to leap into the air.

Modern road cars are not old F1 cars. They are big, fat and quite stable and whats more, their tyres are on the inside. They could wall ride well if both driver and car could take the impact with no damage.
 
i'm not very up to date on GT4 news, but i have a question:

Does anyone know if they removed the time penalty thing for hitting a wall that was in GT4 prologue? Or if that time penalty can be disabled in options?

Thanx
 
McLaren F1GTR
Not really car physics there if you ask me. I know in Toca 1, you could do that so easily, but I feel a racer shouldn't need to cheat like that. Even if they are annoying AI.


And dude. Everyone can get smoked by someone else. That's why there never really is a master or king of a game. There's always someone better. This goes for racing at the most.
Yeah I know, but it's the realism of it all. Would you buy a game, where if you hit someone, it doesn't phase them? Or would you buy a game, where if you hit them, you have chaos on your hands? Racing incidents. With that memory thing. That would make whatever car you turn around, go Super San.

Good point there too.
 
icon
i'm not very up to date on GT4 news, but i have a question:

Does anyone know if they removed the time penalty thing for hitting a wall that was in GT4 prologue? Or if that time penalty can be disabled in options?

Thanx

I don't think anyone knows for certain, but I think it's been removed. The Toyota demo has the "penalty", but the BMW demo does not. And the BMW demo was released after the Toyota demo. Instead of the penalty, there's the "shaky" effect when you hit a wall or another car (which you can see in one of the videos here on GTP.. Collision Mayhem, I believe it's called).

Even if it is there, I don't think it'll make that much of a difference. I've got the Toyota demo here, and you've got to hit the wall HARD to get the penalty to kick in. And you have to hit it head-on. On Grand Canyon, I can slide the car through a corner and whack the ass-end against the wall pretty hard and not get the penalty. But if I'm going 50mph too fast into a corner, and slam the wall head-on, it'll "punish" me. Basically, I only see the penalty when either A) I do it on purpose (which is pointless), or B) My driving skills go out the window for a moment and I totally beefcake a turn.

For regular wall-riding, as long as there's no hard impact, there shouldn't be a penalty. But then, we don't know how the new physics engine behaves, so we're not really sure how well wall-riding can be done. I can't tell in the Toyota demo, because it's only got two tracks. Grand Canyon is mostly rally, and Fuji's walls are too far away from the track to try to ride (wall-riders are gonna HATE that track, 'cause there ain't no walls to ride!! :)) Well, it has walls, but they're a good thirty feet off the track most of the time. :)
 
Back