Loot Boxes/Prize Crates to be Removed this Winter

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 42 comments
I use them because I only do extra-long races, so a 180-300% bonus on top of the credits you earn anyway is pretty huge and spending 30-90k to get more mods isn't expensive when you're earning 400-600k per race. I've never bothered with any other type of crate, though.

I've never played Forza myself but I do appreciate that they're listening and removing them even if they were option, given the controversy over lootboxes in general.

Big publishers who has the last word over their lapdog developers will only listen to their shareholders, but this time Microsoft and Turn 10 had to remove them because they are well aware of the upcoming EU laws & regulations that will prevent them from being sold within the EU (can't wait for it to become mandatory) also can't believe I'm about to say this, but something good finally came out of the big turd being the EU, i.e. regulations that actually will protect consumers from disgusting business practices and gambling.

Last edited:
I haven't touched any prize crates since the start of the game. Regardless of the fact that no real money was tied to them, it was still a scummy practice and I'm glad they're being taken out.

Well this is good PR. All the gaming sites reported on this. They usually ignore every big update and dlcs packs, but Turn 10 removing “loot“ crates? Hooray.

The thing is... there was never real life money loot crates in the game. You never gained any relevant advantage from them. So what is the fuzz all about?

Instead of spending months trying to figure out how to remove the crates, they could instead focus on more substantial things like a proper Expansion or custom grids in free play.

Oh, and i kinda liked the prize crates. I think they were fun to open and use.

They were pointless to begin with, for the simple reason they were never as intrusive as loot boxes are in other games.

Since they were already so pointless they could have been removed in silence, like a footnote on a Friday news post from Mechberg.

Since the big boss is coming out of his closet again for this one I’d say Microsoft / Turn 10 want to squeeze all the marketing out of this one they possibly can. Which is all fine for me, the more news posts I’m reading about loot boxes being removed or season passes being burned, the better!

Absolutely like the positive vibe in the gaming scene right now in this aspect and Microsoft is bringing a nice contribution as well:

* great E3 show
* FM7 free features & car pass extended
* FH4 ultimate edition including both expansions

Good times!

I'm glad they shut that idea down.

What's the controversy here when real money aren't involved?

To me it sound like they are only going to shrink the game for no good reason. I think the crates offer an interesting way to spend credits for those players fed up buying cars all the time. What's the problem?

The endgame was to probably to let people use real money to buy the crates,they didn't do that right away to see people's reactions(which was a pretty smart idea),they saw the feedback and took it away,the end.

FM was the 2k of circuit racers. They had no competition, and haven't been pushing the series forward enough. Pc2 changed the game. It's over

The fact that 1) there were no micro transactions involved, and 2) no competitive advantage could be gained from their use made these a non-issue in my book. However, anything done to alleviate a friction point between the gamer and developer AND to avoid any misconception that the two aforementioned items are a part of gameplay I'd call a win-win for all. I applaud Turn 10 for testing the feature, fielding feedback from users and acting accordingly. This is a very Agile approach to software design and one that speaks to the team's demonstrated thought leadership within the industry. Hopefully others may follow suit.

Well this is good PR. All the gaming sites reported on this. They usually ignore every big update and dlcs packs, but Turn 10 removing “loot“ crates? Hooray.

The thing is... there was never real life money loot crates in the game. You never gained any relevant advantage from them. So what is the fuzz all about?

Instead of spending months trying to figure out how to remove the crates, they could instead focus on more substantial things like a proper Expansion or custom grids in free play.

I think you answered your own question with that first sentence: good PR.

The sheer volume of misinformation around this part of the game is a good example. There's a likely chance any one of GTPlanet's Forza-related posts on our Facebook page will feature at least one person mentioning lootboxes and/or micro-transactions. Still, 10 months after the game's release.

The prize crates in FM7, even in their original form, were hardly the sort of thing that sits in modern shooters, or Fortnite, or (pre-release) Star Wars BF2. Quick summary:
  • No real-world money
  • No crate-exclusive cars
  • No competitive advantage against other players
I ignored them for a long time in-game, before realizing it was another avenue to make credits. In GT Sport, you intentionally handicap your car to earn more credits in the single player campaign. This will most likely involve you exchanging Mileage Points to have a wider range of tuning options — you invest MP, you gain more (plus more credits). In FM7, you buy a crate for a handful of Mods, and equip them as you see fit. On the middle race distance, you always make the credits back (plus more). Both games simply offer two different ways to maximize earnings.

Nonetheless, removing them also removes any chance of misinformation. I'm not sure how much that will translate to improved sales — I get the feeling the people still raging on about them aren't ever going to be buying a Forza game — but it should help with positive sentiment right as we approach FH4's launch.

I don't mind the crate boxes. Now that I own all the cars in the game, I have real need of credits. I like the driver gear so it's been a good credit sink and allowed me to build up my collection of suits. I just hope they come up with another way to collect suits.

Given that these never used real money I do wonder too. You could also argue that GT Sport's daily workouts constitute lootboxes in a similar manner to Forza's prize crates. Though daily workouts may be one of the less nasty examples of lootboxes out there.

Given that these never used real money I do wonder too. You could also argue that GT Sport's daily workouts constitute lootboxes in a similar manner to Forza's prize crates. Though daily workouts may be one of the less nasty examples of lootboxes out there.
Random prizes have been in games for decades,and it's the same system found in previous GT games that's why no one made a fuss about it.But the whole thing would go bad really fast if GTS had microtransactions.

A few weeks ago there was a kotaku article that mentioned forza horizon (I think.) in the comments, someone asked if they should buy forza 7.

Multiple people responded by saying to avoid it as the game existed only to push micro transactions on the player.

This is probably a smart move.

I hope they get rid of mods too... I just want extra credit the way it was, by turning off assists, not by purchasing a crate to equip cards on my slots ...

Multiple people responded by saying to avoid it as the game existed only to push micro transactions on the player.

Except it didn't.

Nothing exclusive you needed to complete the game was hidden in the crates, the only exclusive stuff was purely cosmetic like drivatar badges and racing suits, you didn't need to spend any real-life currency in order to get the crates, and you still don't. Whether or not they intended to monetize them is moot, because it never came to be and they're doing away with it anyway.

It's misinformation by people who probably never even picked up the game. Chinese Whispers, pretty much.

Literally laughed out loud that these loot boxes bothered anyone to the point that they felt they should be removed.
Many people thought they weren't really necessary. It was a cool concept, but there weren't any advantages in using it.

Prize crates bring out the worst cynicism in people. The mere existence of prize crates means big bad greedy Microsoft is trying to take your money, by default.

Okay, so Microsoft is big and bad and greedy, so I can understand the cynicism. But IN THIS PARTICULAR INSTANCE it turned out to not be true.

FM was the 2k of circuit racers. They had no competition, and haven't been pushing the series forward enough. Pc2 changed the game. It's over
I think that Turn 10 may have rested on their laurels for FM7 and underestimated PCARS2 and GT Sport, but that's my best guess.

Can you please explain the 2K analogy to me? I'm not sure if you're referring to their sports games, their other games, or both.

Back