Losing weight sim racing?

• Thread starter SRCorner
  • 6 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I was always quite curious about how many calories sim racing burns. I can get pretty hot after couple of hours fighting my direct drive wheel so it must be doing me some sort of good. And here's my experiment to find out.

Great test! I personally noticed that in the winter while sim-racing I have to turn my heating off, as I get plenty hot enough using my wheel & pedals with all the moving. Whereas, sitting down watching TV I get cold from not moving & have to have the heating on. Nice to see that the extra calorie burn can be measured scientifically.

👍

I always set my t300 wheel to low weight (25 in game, the first slider after gain, but the gain must stay at 100 at all times in pc2 regardless your setup). I can have effects and other things from low to medium strength too, but the wheel weight always from medium to light depending on the car.

It is true that you burn calories and might sweat a lot (on summer) while sim racing, but just like with any other workout at an age, you must be careful.

I’ve just finished a 3 hour session using the DS2 with 6 axis steering and I was perspiring, so I wouldn’t be surprised that wheel users work up quite a sweat. “Project Cars 2, recommended by healthcare professionals” :D

I remember back in the Group A racing days in Oz they put a heartrate monitor on (Baby Face) Glenn Seton. By the end of the first lap he was at 180bpm :-) I'm guessing those guys get a pretty good workout, and then imagine what it's like driving F1 for two hours with 4g cornering and braking forces.

Back