Lost: Season 6 - Thread contains spoilers.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mark T
  • 106 comments
  • 7,680 views
When will the UK get it? I want to talk!!
 
When will the UK get it? I want to talk!!
Unless there has been a change, they get it on Friday nights...I think.
 
So, when will the final episode air in Europe?

I'm surprised that the tv channell that airs Lost over here, AXN, will show the final episode next tuesday already. Usually these series are shown with a month or two of delay on cable tv, and a whole season behind in open channells.

This season AXN was only a week behind USA, and now for the last two chapters it will be a two days' delay. I guess they're doing this because Lost is very popular over here, and most people prefer to download the episodes instead of waiting to watch them on TV.
 
can't wait for the finale. The last 2 were so good. But i almost have the feeling that one episode here would have been half a season back when lost was cool.;)
The jacob episode was way too short to fully explain the 2 caracters
 
UK residents can see the final episode of LOST on Monday 24th at 5am. Get your alarm clocks ready and if you haven't already, turn Sky one on now.
 
UK residents can see the final episode of LOST on Monday 24th at 5am. Get your alarm clocks ready and if you haven't already, turn Sky one on now.
What the hell kind of time is 5am?

On a Monday?!?
 
I kinda liked the smoke monster and Jacob origins episode, but I don't know if I liked an entire episode dedicated to it. I thought this week's episode was good, but I don't want to elaborate if Europe hasn't seen it yet.
 
And just to make sure everyone in the US is aware: The finale will be 2 1/2 hours long on Sunday night at 7E/6C. The original pilot will be shown Saturday night with pop up facts.
 
*Braces for all of the whining on Monday*
 
I still have a quite a few questions which I don't think they can answer in two and half hours.
 
Who else is watching the finale? It is ridiculous! Insanity!
 
That was the greatest thing to ever be! I'm really sad that it had to end.
 
Well, like many I'm sure, I got up at 5:00am to watch it in the UK!

All I can say is, for all of its ongoing confusion, the ending and series as a whole was fantastic. I didn't see that coming, and the deep meaning of the show just overwhelmed me with emotion. I was crying, lots! :O

Since watching it I formed my own theories, and at least collectively, they seem to correlate well with what other people are discussion on the Lost forums. We do find out the meaning of the show, but there are still countless little details that remain unanswered. But, for me that's all part of its continuing mystery. We were puzzled before, and to some extent we still are, but at the same time I just feel like I don't care - almost like, "it is what it is", just accept it. Just like many great sci-fi movies, you don't need to know how things came to be or what happened after, you just enjoy the film and plot for what it is. If you spend too much time picking away at the what's and why's, the less you'll enjoy it.
 
I seriously wouldn't consider getting up at 5am for Lost. Besides, RTE 2 over here is showing it at 9pm tonight anyway. So we're only 16 hours behind. I wish the same could be said for other great shows such as Entourage, CSI, etc.
 
Well, like many I'm sure, I got up at 5:00am to watch it in the UK!

All I can say is, for all of its ongoing confusion, the ending and series as a whole was fantastic. I didn't see that coming, and the deep meaning of the show just overwhelmed me with emotion. I was crying, lots! :O

Since watching it I formed my own theories, and at least collectively, they seem to correlate well with what other people are discussion on the Lost forums. We do find out the meaning of the show, but there are still countless little details that remain unanswered. But, for me that's all part of its continuing mystery. We were puzzled before, and to some extent we still are, but at the same time I just feel like I don't care - almost like, "it is what it is", just accept it. Just like many great sci-fi movies, you don't need to know how things came to be or what happened after, you just enjoy the film and plot for what it is. If you spend too much time picking away at the what's and why's, the less you'll enjoy it.

I was up at 5am aswell, I couldn't resist. It was a great ending, no real twists or turns but it had quite an impact.

For me there are still loads of unanswered details which I really want to know about. I know that the Lost producers said that the end will be revealed in season 6 and it won't be extended into a movie. That is true but there's no reason why they can't do a prequel series.

Towards the end Hugo said to Ben that he was a "great number two" and then Ben replied "you were a great number one". We didn't see any detail at all about how they continued to protect the island. I may be missing something but I think there will be some "extra" episodes.

I really want more background information on:

1) Dharma and what experiments they were performing.
2) The numbers (were they seat numbers?)
3) What happened to the other characters that were killed by the black smoke and how did they stumble upon the island
4) The villagers in the temple, who were they and how did they get there.
 
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Dharma and the numbers were connected. I'm not sure if it's considered canon, but the numbers supposedly form something called the Valenzetti Equation, a mathematical equation that acurately predicts makind's extinction; the Dharma Initiative were supposedly researching the Valenzetti Equation to try and find a way to change the numbers. If it is canon, it's one of the reasons why I'm leading a boycott of JJ Abrams and his works. The rise of digital media and alternate reality games has led to a disturbing trend where you have to take part in all of the extra-curricular stuff in order to understand the basic story.

I'm also told that the DVD release of season six will include twenty minutes of additional footage that was cut from the finale for time purposes. That may include some explanations about the Hugo/Ben exchange.
 
I'm sure this might be a bit late, but: HERE BE SPOILERS

I really enjoyed the ending. It left a lot of things unanswered but by this point in time we know most of what we needed to know as it regards the block of time involving our characters. We are told little or nothing about before and after.


And I don't know if anyone else saw the Target tie-in commercials, but they were pretty awesome.


First was a guy putting the numbers into the computer, but the Execute button doesn't work, then they show a keyboard on sale.

Next was the smoke monster flying around, then they showed a smoke alarm on sale.

And the last one I saw was a boar running across the screen and then squealing off screen, then they showed barbecue sauce on sale.

Towards the end Hugo said to Ben that he was a "great number two" and then Ben replied "you were a great number one". We didn't see any detail at all about how they continued to protect the island. I may be missing something but I think there will be some "extra" episodes.
But the turmoil on the island was only because there were two polar opposites of near equal strength, Jacob and MIB. That wasn't there before or after. Without that turmoil caused by their ongoing struggle it is just a matter of making sure people don't find the light. Hurley and Ben's time on the island was likely similar to how things occurred before Jacob and MIB, mostly uneventful.

I really want more background information on:

1) Dharma and what experiments they were performing.
2) The numbers (were they seat numbers?)
3) What happened to the other characters that were killed by the black smoke and how did they stumble upon the island
4) The villagers in the temple, who were they and how did they get there.
1) The island has many electromagnetic anomalies. They were trying to understand them. We learned in the 70's that they did not fully understand what they were doing because it was all exploratory. What they would have done with it is unknown because they died before they had the opportunity.

2) "Jacob has a thing for numbers." It was a cheap explanation, but that was pretty much it. The numbers corresponded to the numbers of the candidates on the cave wall list because those were how Jacob numbered them.

3) Like, which characters? The Others in the temple? The pilot? Any not involved in the alt time line died and weren't important to the events on the island for the main characters. Their deaths passed on as all deaths. Perhaps they all have their special afterlife too.

4) The same as all Others...they arrived on the island by accident and became part of Jacob's attempts to prove to MIB that humans are inherently good.
 
I was up at 5am aswell, I couldn't resist. It was a great ending, no real twists or turns but it had quite an impact.

For me there are still loads of unanswered details which I really want to know about. I know that the Lost producers said that the end will be revealed in season 6 and it won't be extended into a movie. That is true but there's no reason why they can't do a prequel series.

Towards the end Hugo said to Ben that he was a "great number two" and then Ben replied "you were a great number one". We didn't see any detail at all about how they continued to protect the island. I may be missing something but I think there will be some "extra" episodes.

I really want more background information on:

1) Dharma and what experiments they were performing.
2) The numbers (were they seat numbers?)
3) What happened to the other characters that were killed by the black smoke and how did they stumble upon the island
4) The villagers in the temple, who were they and how did they get there.
*** Spoilers ***

Yeah, there is a lot still unanswered. I don't really care about a movie or additional episodes, but it would be nice for them to release something like a "Top 10" questions answered show. If you can be bothered, there are hundreds of threads here discussing everything and more!

http://forum.lostpedia.com/main-forum-f2.html

My take on your things:

Most things in your questions are open to interpretation, but the one main thread in all of this is Jack. It started with him opening his eyes after the crash, and it ended with him closing his eyes on the island as he died. The storyline and everything in it, even though not obvious at times, was relative to Jack. In the alternate reality they created, the only people he reunited with were those who were important to him.

Jack, like everybody else, was a flawed individual brought to the island by Jacob so that he could find his replacement to continue protecting the island. In what you could call "survival of the fittest", over the years, hundreds of people will have been sacrificed on that island as Jacob searched for his ideal candidate. In return for their sacrifice, Jacob gave people the power to remember parts of their physical life in their after life. So, after everybody had died (when they died is irrelevant) they would be able to exist in limbo until they found each other and came to peace. Desmond, somehow, was able to travel between reality and this "alternate reality" to help facilitate their coming together.

I just think that after all that magic and sci-fi, I thought the ending was brilliant. Basically, nobody is perfect, we can all choose to be good, and those who are good will be rewarded both in life (love, friendship) and in death (inner peace). I'm not religious at all, but that really hit home with me.
 
I just think that after all that magic and sci-fi, I thought the ending was brilliant. Basically, nobody is perfect, we can all choose to be good, and those who are good will be rewarded both in life (love, friendship) and in death (inner peace). I'm not religious at all, but that really hit home with me.

It was a really powerful ending in my opinion. I can see how some people will be seriously disappointed with it, but for me it left me kind of speechless and I sat there for about 5 mins just thinking random thoughts. It really makes you want there to some sort of after life where you can meet up with friends and family that we've lost.
 
It was a really powerful ending in my opinion. I can see how some people will be seriously disappointed with it, but for me it left me kind of speechless and I sat there for about 5 mins just thinking random thoughts. It really makes you want there to some sort of after life where you can meet up with friends and family that we've lost.
Yep, it was a really meaningful ending that makes you think and put life into perspective, almost to the point where GT5 doesn't matter any more...but not quite! ;) I too can see why people would be disappointed because I think a lot of people were expecting a big sci-fi style blowout. That one final episode made up for every single time I came away from previous episodes thinking to myself, "why am I bothering?". Now, it all make sense, even though most of it still doesn't, which itself doesn't make sense, just like the show! :lol:
 
All I can say is I am somewhat dissapointed with the whole ending.
 
:nervous::sick::indiff::crazy::ouch::nervous::scared::grumpy::indiff:

Lost is over. a 6 year compagnion shot down . sad day.

readed through your comments and you all are happy with the ending. i'm happy for you guys.
Because i am kind of disappointed. Disappointement mixed with an unforseeable ending for me.

Sure the whole story of they are dead and living on hell, or waiting to be judged (didn't the actually believed that at one moment); came really soon in the series.


I'm kind of disappointed on a few ways
- They are all dead. Holy shout:scared:. (except lapidus, milles,aron,...)
- The whole concept which based around alot of seasons was not mentioned anymore (timetravel, alternative reality,..)
This was a pillar of the show. alternative realities (AR), how they can be merged due to a constant. Interferrence in the time continum (Ask Kevin Butler). All that was thrown away? I really liked that string the story was heading with the Ar even or just because it messed with my head. Maybe it was scraped away because they got a deadline and explaining the original story was not doable with that time- moneyframe? that would be the sadest part!
Why is Mrs Withmore asking if Desmond takes his son away?
- Most obvious complain : not everything is answered (these will be the most popular complain, but it can be a good thing though, as they could have "messed" things up to answer all in a 1h45. Yes that's the timing without ads)
- The whole haven thing was a bit lame for me. just a quick ending like they lacked a good ending. (That was actually my very first thought after watching the show). Isn't the concept of waiting beneath earth after death and waiting for salvation the jewish believe?

Some odd things:
When Jack wakes up after beeing beaten down by Mib, he has become quasimodo. He has a "thing" on the back beneath his shirt (believe it's a mic or something, at least not intended)
If Hurley and Linus are not dead and indeed defending the island, why the heck is Linus making the brigde between the island life an AR (alternative reality) life ? How could Hurley and Linus meet with the dead in a space that is meta-physical?
(not sure ) How could a concious of a person be in two place at once. Some have been awaken in the AR when infact they are still alive on the island?

But that doesn't mean I didn't liked it. It was just unexpected and against my hopes. i really loved the show all the way and will watch it some time again on Bluray. Thanks to the creative persons behind this project. And who knows what comes next, with Abrams getting more recognition, a sequel or prequel, movie, some extended features on the bluray,...? I sure hope so we hear something again from our losties.

This writing was as sad as watching the show (nearly)
 
Sure the whole story of they are dead and living on hell, or waiting to be judged (didn't the actually believed that at one moment); came really soon in the series.
Just to clear this up, because I am not sure how you meant this: The island is not some form of afterlife. The island is real. Only the alternate reality is part of an afterlife.


I'm kind of disappointed on a few ways
- They are all dead. Holy shout:scared:. (except lapidus, milles,aron,...)
Only in the alternate reality are they dead, because that is the afterlife. And there they are all dead because, as Christian explains, it is free of time, so there is no one technically still alive at that point. Those not in the church were either not overly important to each other, so as to be a part of their moving on, or they were not quite ready to move on yet because they needed to deal with some of their issues, like Ben and Ana Lucia.

- The whole concept which based around alot of seasons was not mentioned anymore (timetravel, alternative reality,..)
This was a pillar of the show. alternative realities (AR), how they can be merged due to a constant. Interferrence in the time continum (Ask Kevin Butler). All that was thrown away? I really liked that string the story was heading with the Ar even or just because it messed with my head. Maybe it was scraped away because they got a deadline and explaining the original story was not doable with that time- moneyframe? that would be the sadest part!
They explained the alternate reality: It is the afterlife, a sort of purgatory. The explanation of the time travel is not 100% clear, however the island as a whole is not explained. The reason for that is that the story was never about the island. It was about the characters.

Why is Mrs Withmore asking if Desmond takes his son away?
Because in life she killed her own son. She isn't ready to move on yet and needs Daniel in order to reach that point.

- Most obvious complain : not everything is answered (these will be the most popular complain, but it can be a good thing though, as they could have "messed" things up to answer all in a 1h45. Yes that's the timing without ads)
The story of these characters is concluded. That was the story we were being told.

- The whole haven thing was a bit lame for me. just a quick ending like they lacked a good ending. (That was actually my very first thought after watching the show). Isn't the concept of waiting beneath earth after death and waiting for salvation the jewish believe?
Nearly all major religions have some form of purgatory-like belief. The church they were in had six different religious symbols on the stained-glass window, signifying a spiritual afterlife not constrained to any one belief.

As for the role of the alternate reality being an afterlife, the clues were always there. Sawyer and Miles seemed like some TV cliche cops. Sun was shot just over a day after the plane landed, but Sayid did the shooting days after he landed. And then Sun was rushed into the ER as Locke was just going in for his surgery, after he had enough time to get fired, meet Hurley, get a substitute teaching job, and teach enough classes to be well liked by students. The time lines are all off and cliches were in place wherever someone was playing a role they had no real experience with. Even I suspected mid-season that the alternate reality wasn't real, but I thought it was a creation by Jacob.

Some odd things:
When Jack wakes up after beeing beaten down by Mib, he has become quasimodo. He has a "thing" on the back beneath his shirt (believe it's a mic or something, at least not intended)
I didn't notice it so I can't comment on it.

If Hurley and Linus are not dead and indeed defending the island, why the heck is Linus making the brigde between the island life an AR (alternative reality) life ? How could Hurley and Linus meet with the dead in a space that is meta-physical?
(not sure ) How could a concious of a person be in two place at once. Some have been awaken in the AR when infact they are still alive on the island?
As I pointed out earlier, the AR was timeless. No date or time was ever given for the AR. Because the plane landed we assumed it was 2004, but that was never stated. In the AR Hurley and Ben are dead. Christian says as much when he explains that some of them died a very long time after Jack.

But that doesn't mean I didn't liked it. It was just unexpected and against my hopes. i really loved the show all the way and will watch it some time again on Bluray. Thanks to the creative persons behind this project. And who knows what comes next, with Abrams getting more recognition, a sequel or prequel, movie, some extended features on the bluray,...? I sure hope so we hear something again from our losties.
They've already said there will be 20 minutes of bonus footage on the DVD/Blu-ray.




One thing I like to point out to people who aren't happy with just having the characters' stories finished up: If this ending were given to us at any time during season 1, maybe even season 2, would you still feel ripped off? at that time there was no giant mythology surrounding everything. It was a story about some people stuck on an island that seemed to be slightly abnormal. It was a character-driven story about how people deal with these unusual situations. That story has been fully concluded. The story of the island began long before this story. Judging by the statue and wall symbols I would guess that it began as much as 3,000 years before Jacob was born, possibly even further back. In fact, if you want my take on what the island is, I think it is where life began on Earth. It is much older than even the Egyptian symbolism, but Egyptians discovered it and recognized it for what it is. So, they created temples and protections around it. This would explain the statute a Tawaret, the goddess of childbirth and fertility.

But hey, that's just my take.



I do want to point something out though.

As for the over-arching tale of who will be Jacob's replacement; I am placing money on Hurley. Jack's sudden willingness to believe in everything and gung-ho attitude seems too obvious for me, and Hurley seems to be more of the pacifist unless you push me kind of guy that Jacob is.

Just saying.
 
I was really intrigued by the Dharma initiative and I know loads of people wanted to see some answers regarding the experiments they were doing. Finding out more about the Dharma initiative was what got me hooked.
 
I was really intrigued by the Dharma initiative and I know loads of people wanted to see some answers regarding the experiments they were doing. Finding out more about the Dharma initiative was what got me hooked.
I think that once they all died that was the end of their experiments. They had no solid results yet. All they knew was that they were studying anomalies and if they could be used to create a clean energy source. During the 70s it became pretty clear to me that even they had no clue what they expected to find.
 
I think that once they all died that was the end of their experiments. They had no solid results yet. All they knew was that they were studying anomalies and if they could be used to create a clean energy source. During the 70s it became pretty clear to me that even they had no clue what they expected to find.

Do you remember the scene where Ben's daughter was trying to rescue her boyfriend? He was locked in a room and was being shown randomly flashing images. I can't remember if the purpose of that was explained or not, but it seemed really freaky.
 
Do you remember the scene where Ben's daughter was trying to rescue her boyfriend? He was locked in a room and was being shown randomly flashing images. I can't remember if the purpose of that was explained or not, but it seemed really freaky.
I always assumed it was either a brainwashing or sensory overload thing. What was never made clear is if that was a DHARMA or Others thing, since at that point the Others had taken over the DHARMA stuff and were using and adapting it to their needs.

If it was DHARMA it may have been related to how secretive they were of what they were doing, or something used to mentally torture/attack any Others that bothered them.
 
I'm somewhat disappointed by the ending. I was really liking the episode up until the church part, and the explanation of what the AR was. It was a bit confusing too but reading the comments in this thread made it clearer for me. Still, it wasn't the ending I was hoping for.
 
So who killed Laura Palmer, anyway?
 
Back