Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo...

Breaking the law, breaking the law. Expect a PM from Grey or Leo for posting a setup in here, when it explicitly says in the first post NOT to post your setups.

And no aids, EVER.

Delta HF Stradale Review

This definitely has the potential to be an amazing car - and I discovered this by accident.

Under your settings, pull is excellent, brake behavior is good, and grip comes in GOBS. But as you both noted, it's absolutely impossible to break it loose, and when I exited tight corners, understeer was brutal. It could be controlled with throttle modulation, but that came with a price - the car exited corners at relatively low rev values. Turn-in was also difficult, in part I think because of your front toe settings. I'm not sure why they're set the way they are - I usually use negative front toe in extremely unstable mid- or rear-engine cars, but this is definitely not an unstable car.

The thing is this though - when I first took the car out, I forgot to set the transmission to your values, and the car was FANTASTIC. Somehow, turn-in was much better, and thanks to the much closer standard gearing, the motor spent MUCH less time revving through the peak of its band between shifts, rendering it almost completely neutral even in the tightest hairpins as long as I short-shifted somewhere around 6250. I even felt a few instances where a good strong flick might have broken the back loose. Might be worth checking out! 👍

<edit> Greycap, I wonder if this might also apply to your quattro - it's rather similar to the Lancia in a lot of ways.

A review of the Audi Quattro Strabe.

Braking:
The car has good braking all around and you can move the car around under them.

Trans:
The gearing and final drive are good. Plus the all of the diff are set-up nicely.

Suspension:
The Strabe has good at turn-in, in the middle, and on the exit of the turn. At full throttle in high speed turns the car has a small amount understeer. A small blip of the throttle will fix this with not side effects. I found that if you let the rear out some at turn-in. That the car will take a nice set and exit much better. That's the key to faster times. I ran a 2'00.880 with this Audi.

This Quattro is a very nice driver and enjoyed my time with it. It drives alot like the way one my freind had his set-up years ago.

On a side note I have the GrimR34per time down to 1'37.552 now.

Delta HF Stradale Review

This definitely has the potential to be an amazing car - and I discovered this by accident.

Under your settings, pull is excellent, brake behavior is good, and grip comes in GOBS. But as you both noted, it's absolutely impossible to break it loose, and when I exited tight corners, understeer was brutal. It could be controlled with throttle modulation, but that came with a price - the car exited corners at relatively low rev values. Turn-in was also difficult, in part I think because of your front toe settings. I'm not sure why they're set the way they are - I usually use negative front toe in extremely unstable mid- or rear-engine cars, but this is definitely not an unstable car.

The thing is this though - when I first took the car out, I forgot to set the transmission to your values, and the car was FANTASTIC. Somehow, turn-in was much better, and thanks to the much closer standard gearing, the motor spent MUCH less time revving through the peak of its band between shifts, rendering it almost completely neutral even in the tightest hairpins as long as I short-shifted somewhere around 6250. I even felt a few instances where a good strong flick might have broken the back loose. Might be worth checking out! 👍

<edit> Greycap, I wonder if this might also apply to your quattro - it's rather similar to the Lancia in a lot of ways.

Hmm.. I'll see if I can improve it with shorter ratios etc. We've done a considerable amount of testing about the cambers, toe etc and these seem to work best for me.

Davieboiscotlan, Since you're new here, I can understand that you made this mistake. We would appreciate it though, if you remove your setup. This is a closed setup thread (It's clearly mentioned with big, red letters on the first post IIRC), and them PM it to either one of us or RCV/Aussie tuners members. Thanks in advance.

Stidriver, You've shortened your time even more?! :eek: I think that car suits you pretty damn well.. :scared:

davieboiscotlan - As Leonidae said, this garage is for our setups only and we'd like you to edit the post to remove yours. If you want to publish your work for everyone to see, please visit the Tuner Garages thread. It's just for things like this. EDIT - Thank you! :)

CraftyLandShark - I only deal with the Quattro suggestion here as the Delta isn't mine. The Audi might indeed benefit from closer ratios to strengthen the lift off and power over but then the top speed would be a bit low for such a powerful car, it now runs out of gearing at around 260 km/h which is about what the aerodynamics allow. I'll consider changing it though. 👍

stidriver - Thanks for the review! It indeed handles more realistically now, the real Quattro was a manoeuvrable car, much more so than its game counterpart. It's just a shame that it takes this much tuning to make it what it should have been from the beginning.

davieboiscotlan
CraftyLandShark - I only deal with the Quattro suggestion here as the Delta isn't mine. The Audi might indeed benefit from closer ratios to strengthen the lift off and power over but then the top speed would be a bit low for such a powerful car, it now runs out of gearing at around 260 km/h which is about what the aerodynamics allow. I'll consider changing it though. 👍

There shouldn't be a need to sacrifice top speed - since understeer is plenty controllable in extended corners in 3rd gear and up since the car is already revving slower by that point, the only gears that would need to be closer would be one through three. I'd suggest a sort of a "slow exponential" progression of gears - 1st very low, 2nd very close, 3rd slightly further away from 2nd than 2nd is from 1st, etc. etc. until you reach top gear at the same point it was in your old setup. I've used a similar setup in several of my Imprezas to fairly good effect.

After splashing about $250,000 on the MFTC740R (thats a long name :)), I've returned with some very positive feedback.

First of all, the car builds speed like CRAZY!!! And, there's no turbo lag (cause it's got NA tuning) which is always a plus in my books ;). The cars steering is also neutral, which is great. The brakes and tires are in proportion to the amount of power that the car puts down and the only real downside is the price tag that comes attached (don't laugh at me, i'm poor :()

Overall, great work on the Z06 :D!! 10/10

Fender

EDIT: Holy crap!! This bad boy even takes wins in the All American Championship against full blown race cars!!

yeah. BTW, hold back the Lotus reviews, the gearbox has a glitch. i'll fix it today. And Fender X, I'm already working on the car you requested.

Searching for random GT4 stuff...

found this site...

found this thread.

Read the lot.

Ive been up for 20 hours and have to be at work in another 8, so I cant test anything till tomorrow, but this stuff is really top shelf guys. Rest assured, review is on its way.

Well done.

spauldj3800, it's a honour to us to hear that we've given such a quality impression - even if it is by accident! I hope we hear from you again. 👍

My Review of the 70 Mitsubishi Galant 'Evolution'

As I read through the thread, this was the car that really caught my eye. Reasonably good looks, old school styling with a bit of new school flair. Hell, even the huge rear wing appealed to the boy racer in me!

Mine however, looked slightly different externally. I went with the silver/blue combo with a silver wing and charcoal colored 'Minilite' rims. Looked the part.

Performance wise, I wasnt expecting much. I have driven several Japanese automobiles from the early 70's, and beleive me, they were nothing to write home about. In most, if you required a sudden burst of acceleration, it was best to jump out and run!

So in short, I sat down in front of the TV, selected the car and went to Laguna Seca to test it.

I started the lap, and the first thing that surprised me was how flexible the engine in this thing is! With the snail hanging off the side, the engine loves to rev....and rev...and rev! It just works beautifully around 5000 RPM+.

With a boosted, turbo 4, I was expecting copious amounts of glorious wheelspin...

:dopey:

...but the LSD is combined beautifully with the engine and, in most normal conditions, wheelspin is kept to a minimum. Whilst this is not my driving style of preference, the traction available upon the exiting of a corner is quite a nice change from my 'whoops-i-overcooked-it-better-countersteer' method of guiding a vehicle around the track. More on this later.

The ride was by no means harsh, and bump steer was not an issue. The front suspension set up in this car is a work of art. Seriously, it belongs in some posh art gallery somewhere so people can point and go 'ooh, ahh'.

So matter what I threw at it, the two front hoops would just not let go! It is a beautifully balanced, neutral handling setup, with no sign of understeer.

However, somewhere between the front and rear of the car, some of the magic is lost somewhere. The rear end is brilliant, by all means, but when I actually did get the car to step out, it managed to snap back into line so quickly, unpredictably and harshly that I would quite frequently end up facing the opposite direction to my intentions.

However, by no means is this a failing of this car.

I have to stress at this point that it took quite an agressive driving style in order to get it to perform the above acrobatics, and in the short time I have had to test the car, I could not adapt my tecniques to fully reap the rewards that this car offers. So perhaps, in saying that, the component that failed the suspension in this regard was not the rear axle, springs or shocks, but another, simpler component.

The nut behind the wheel.:dunce:

But moving on from the failings of my back woods driving ethics. The speed of this car in a straight line will not make your head explode in sheer amazement. It is however, quite repectable.

So in summing up, ths is a beautiful handling car that is a brilliant all rounder for the novice driver to step into. Although I have not tested it, I think the only handling vice that exists with this car (in my case) could be quite controllable, even advantageous on a dirt or loose surface.

This car is highly reccomended.

*Runs off to test GTO Sundowner*

here is my review of the Lancia Stradale:

i really like the car, and one of my friends has a normal one as a daily-driver........the stock Lancia behaves very well for my liking, and the tuned one is even better. good acceleration, nice brakes! but i think it understeers sometimes a bit to much for my driving-style but that doesn't mean, that it's a bad car! the car really rocks, and can kill some bigger cars on more twisted tracks........

viper

Gah, I haven't had time to fix the 'box glitch in it yet!! oh well, it doesn't affect handling though.. well, not much at least, I hope.

One more time update for the tuners.

The GrimR34per's best time at GV is now at a 1'37.199 with out putting 4 wheels on to any of the concrete patches.

A Mad FinnTuners Co. Official Review​

Car Reviewed: Pontiac GTO '04 "Sundowner"
GTP Link: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2825568&postcount=945
User GTA Level: Novice (4 of 5 Licenses, mostly Bronze)

Review Notes: I have been playing GT4 a grand total of 4 days now...All day and all night, but still 4 days...I don't drive the manual, and have no qualms about running another car off the track or bouncing off of a wall to win a race... I love American muscle and I'm a Taurus... :sly:

Official Review: I chose to review this car because like alot of other cars, I don't know much about it...I figured that the best way to give a proper assessment was to drive a car I had no ideas of, and evaluate it as best I could...When I read about the car's native downright brutal power, it seemed only fair to put it to my version of crash and burn..!

Test Track(s):
  • Grand Valley Speedway

A-Spec Stock Time: 4:55
Best Lap: About 2:18

Results: Holy $hit..! This is a great car...Had I known about it when I first started the game, I wouldn't have had to waste so much cash on other cars...The stock version felt like a tuned car almost...It handled smoothly, accelerated nicely...I was very pleased...This was my first drive ever of this car, and I definitely thought it was exceptional...Why I was pitted up against the likes of the Cadillac Cien, I have no idea, but of course they dusted me...I raced fairly well, not my absolute best, but against 6 point competition I probably would have won...200 point competition on a stock car..? No good...The leader finished the race in 4:18...

B-Spec Stock Time: 4:42 (+19)
Best Lap: About 2:15

Results: Today is my first day ever using 'B-Spec' mode...And I'm not sure how it works (maybe from my A-Spec points?) but my driver must piss Nitrous Oxide...He didn't fare much better here than me overall, but I wanted to have a some kind of real guide as to what the car could do fully utilized...Again, results of the race aside, this baby rocks...

A-Spec FinnTuners Time: 4:08
Best Lap: About 2:00

Results: Went from a 200 point race to a 9 point race..."Interesting," I thought...Usually, when I see a 9 point race, that means I'm still going to have to do some driving...

Well, that wasn't the case here...I had to add a few clicks of traction control because I use auto, but WOW...This mother was flying..! And it still handled great..! By the time I hit 4th gear at the start of the race, I was already ahead of the pack...The way it handled, I'm sure it would do very well in those short tracks full of turns that give me so much trouble in my other muscle cars...

Save from a few ridiculous braking techniques on my end, my time would have been better...That said, I was still +12 in front of the pack...

B-Spec FinnTuners Time: 3:56

Of course, my B-Spec driver 0wn3d the race as well...I didn't see his best lap time, but I think its pretty clear we have a winner..!

Conclusion

I have not yet had the time to compare another test setup, but I plan to do so...I was VERY pleased with this setup...The increase in performance was tremendous...Obviously there was a massive increase in power, but the overall feel of the car from the stock was not lost, and in my humble opinion, improved...

Great job on the work and research guys, thanks for helping us..!

One more time update for the tuners.

The GrimR34per's best time at GV is now at a 1'37.199 with out putting 4 wheels on to any of the concrete patches.

:scared: :crazy: :nervous: :eek: are going for 1'36.xxx or something?!

and why oh why do it seem that you've fallen in love with that car? :lol:

Lotus omege GSI = BRILL report comming up :) *might be long, so much to say*
Even with the prob with gear box i love the car:)

I dont think it would put that much change into it but did the "tranny trick" and it picks up speed extramly well :)

Love the handling!!

*Edit* Just done a b-spec 20 laps best one was a 1:54:977

Photo5401.jpg

well, The Omega has been updated with new gearing setup. acceleration is not that much different, but offers more top speed, and more grip on lower gears.

:scared: :crazy: :nervous: :eek: are going for 1'36.xxx or something?!

and why oh why do it seem that you've fallen in love with that car? :lol:

I will needed the 36's a go sometime.

Plus Leonidae I need to try the new Omega gearing. I'm surprise by the B spec time for the car.

My Review of the 70 Mitsubishi Galant 'Evolution'

*quite a review*
:eek: Quite a way to begin your GTP career!

Taking the biggest wing in the lineup was a bit of a joke, the others looked too ordinary so I took the most overkill one just for fun. Then again, it suits the car better than the more discreet ones! :lol:

The front suspension setup is indeed good, even if I say it myself. And I know the reason to the problems you encountered with the snapback, it just doesn't have enough power to break those tyres properly loose. You have to do quite a bit of trying to get it really sliding and then it bogs down, throwing you into the outside wall when the rears gain grip again. Slides of a few degrees are possible, even beneficial, but all out drifting is pretty much out of question unless the tyres are swapped for ones with considerably less grip. It's a grip car and has to be driven as such.

But as always, thanks for the review! Do you happen to need a car? :)

A Mad FinnTuners Co. Official Review​

*quite a review, part II*
:eek: And another one!

The GTO was built to approach the NASCAR specs, and it meets them reasonably well. The difference is that this one was optimized for cornering which, as you noticed, is respectable for such a big car with zero downforce. I suggest you to give it another shot, just Free Run, and get the hang of driving it yourself. It'll kill the B-Spec time, no doubt.

We're already dealing with the car thing. 👍

I'm surprise by the B spec time for the car.
Come to think of it, I don't believe that it can do it if driven with those parts and settings - or it's a different track. Then again, in the picture it seems to have a wing (looking at the front quarter view) which means easily four to five seconds a lap with a car like that. No idea about the tyres used but I once heard that our Abarth 500 had been run on R3 tyres because "that's what was called for". Or then not.

As a sidenote, our opening post banners have got a bit of new styling, nothing too spectacular, just a bit of a facelift.

I went and looked at the banners and can't tell the difference. What did you do?
Also, just got the Holden Commodore Lotus Omega :sly: After some work that needs doing a little closer to home at Aussie Tuners, I will review it tomorrow.

The banners got new tyre class badges and a few of the were remade with better car-specific colours instead of generic ones used in the beginning. You may need to refresh the page before you can see the new ones.

Well whatever it was before- to me it looks the same now still. All this Sony really must be killing my eyes.

Edit: Hey guys, I'm sure I know why that other guy has a rear wing on his car- you have one listed in the parts to buy. So does it have one or not? Plus I'm about to drive it, even though I wonder if I should because of your mocking me.

Edit 2: Lotus Omega Review
I tested it without a wing although I think this car would benefit so greatly from one it would drop a good few seconds off its lap time. The basics- it has good acceleration and pulls up reasonably well from speed with sports tyres. The technical- This is one car that can sometimes benefit from powersliding, and only because you have to be so careful on the accelerator you're going super slow to race grip all the time. Still, grip racing and this car is strangley quick for such a shocker of wheelspin. Turn in is really pretty good, and the car is certainly reasonably maneouverable if your not sliding. But thanks to the initial torque trying to stop wheelspin understeer is ever present at high speeds and at low speeds it's superlatively uncontrollable oversteer. That's why I think this car needs a wing, it could help both those factors greatly. My lap time at GVS with this car was a 1'59.270. Not bad for a large sedan that can't stop spinning the wheels.

Edit 3: With full downforce the car feels much better, and wheelspin is actually controllable. Expect to drop just over 2sec off your laptime at GVS. I was on a very low 1'57 with a wing, probably could have broken into 1'56s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back