MAGBURNER: Incisions Beyond Motion. NEW UPDATE 27.09.10 SOMETHING DIFFERENT

• Thread starter magburner
  • 707 comments
Nice updates! I have an exactly the same 350z convertible in my garage, but I altered its colour to pink for magazine cover back then :) Fuji is a hard place to take dynamic photos, but your first shot turns out really great.

TT's update are great too, but those glow versions aren't helping to improve their appearance.

The pictures look good. I like the contrast and the softness. Hope to see more updates from you soon. 👍

Glad to see you mag! Love the second 350z shot! Not a big fan of the TT shots, and the Wipeout shots are gorgeous as always. You have a ps3 right? I'd hate not seeing your shots with GT5.

Thanks for the comments guys, they are much appreciated. 👍

I have another update to bring in the next day or two, and in keeping with this last update, it will be spread across all three of my galleries again. Until that time, take care! :) 👍

@franz:
Thanks pal. 👍 If I am being honest though, I would have to say that I was being a little lazy with that 350Z update. All the pictures, except the one you liked, were taken from the exact same spot. :sly: 👍

@Phantom: thanks pal 👍

@TVR&Ferrari_Fan: I might be... :sly: 👍

@RetroGiant: Thanks pal, I do have a PS3, and I will be posting when GT5 arrives... 👍

Thanks for all the comments guys, they are much appreciated! Right, on with the show! I did plan to post this as part of a triple update, but the thought of editing all that BBcode put me off, so for now I will post this, and the others will follow a little later today.

The hero for this update is the Amuse Carbon R, One of my all-time favourite cars in GT4. This is quite an old update, as all the pictures posted here, were created back in 2006. Three images were shot at differing times at George Paris, and the final shot was taken at Montegi Road Course.

I've also decided to use Flickr, after some good advice from TVRfan. I've noticed too, that some of my images in this gallery have disappeared thanks to Imageshack. :ouch: Anyway, I hope you like these interpretations. :dopey:

CARBON R @ GEORGE PARIS AND MONTEGI

please chack :dunce: back from time to time for updates!

Last edited:
Another great update. I love the dark glow look and to me, the last two pictures are pure gold, specially the light source in the last one. 👍

I'm reserving full judgement until I get home and on a proper monitor, because while I know this update is supposed to be dark... it's almost too dark on this PC!

It's nearly impossible to take this car and not make it look badass. Really like that last one, like Nick mentioned, the light source is what makes it. Gotta say, like seeing your typical style through and through this update; one of the last things I ever expected from you was doing a 440/Bram style shot! It did turn out well though; that Viper is noice 👍. The most impressive thing about the Carbon R is how old these images are; because of your editing style and your consistent focus on composition, they look like they were taken the day before you posted this up. A lesson every new member could learn :).

Liking that you incorporate little tidbits from your other galleries to cross-pollinate; forgot how crisp a good TT shot can look. Also... thanks for reminding me I need to buy Wipeout! If I could tear myself away from Fat Princess long enough, I'd probably play it since I miss my old XL disc.

I think that there are enough images on this page, so I will just use this post to reply to the comments I have received, before I post another update on the next page. 👍

Another great update. I love the dark glow look and to me, the last two pictures are pure gold, specially the light source in the last one. 👍

I'm really pleased that you like the last picture, because, for me it is my favourite of the whole set. It wasn't shot at the same time as the rest of the pictures, and it was my very first experiment into realistic lighting. The next update will (hopefully), take the effect to the next level. 👍

Gotta say, like seeing your typical style through and through this update; one of the last things I ever expected from you was doing a 440/Bram style shot!

I'm not known for that style, and I usually stayed clear because I did not fully understand the concept. Brams superb tutorial filled in the gaps though, and finally got me to understand the principles, which I will use again in the near future. 👍

The most impressive thing about the Carbon R is how old these images are; because of your editing style and your consistent focus on composition, they look like they were taken the day before you posted this up. A lesson every new member could learn :).

Thanks for those kinds words pal. 👍

I actually have another photomode tutorial waiting in the wings to bring to the photomode community, but for the moment, I am sitting on it until I have had a chance to fiddle about with the improvements in GT5.

From the photomode images I have seen so far, I can see that there are a lot of similarities between GT4's and GT5's photomode application, and when the time is right, I will lift the lid on the finally part of my image creation process. 👍

Also... thanks for reminding me I need to buy Wipeout! If I could tear myself away from Fat Princess long enough, I'd probably play it since I miss my old XL disc.

Wipeout is a definitely a fantastic looking game! I downloaded the HD fury pack last night too, so expect some updated images from that game. One word of advice though, Wipeout outputs the images at the resolution you play the game at. I used to play in SD, and the images were terrible, once I upgraded to 1080p, the quality of the images rose significantly. So if you are going to do the game justice, you really need to be playing in 1080p. 👍

Hello again! I have for you another small update that was taken a couple of years ago, and I recently updated it to include some more realistic lighting.

To achieve the lighting in these pictures, I used a simple curves layer with the auto correction features of Photoshop, on top of the work I did within GT4's photomode application. As well as that I have used some simple blur and sharpen filters to achieve the finished look.

I know I keep banging on about the power of photomode, but it really is the most effective tool you can use to create great images. 99% of the lighting effects in these images were created in-game, with the remaining 1% done in photoshop. In another update, I will further showcase rarely seen advanced photomode effects. 👍 Anyway, I hope you like these interpretations. :dopey:

CELICA RALLY @ CITA

PLEASE CHECK BACK FROM TIME TO TIME FOR UPDATES!

The tone does look very realistic. Nice job on the saturation control. I think the car/location combo also plays a major factor to achieve realistic images.

This Celica was very well modeled by PD I must say. The details were so amazing when I first saw in GT4. It still looks very good in today's standard.

Hey, hey, back again! As promised, but a little later than planned is this update I have planned to showcase the power of photomode!

You should already know how to remove the jaggies from images, and I have already discussed what I do in Photoshop, so the last part that needs explaining is the use of good focus. I am not quite ready to spill the beans yet though, as I want to wait for GT5, and do a two game round-up on the subject.

If there is one thing that I would like you to take away from this update, it is the different levels of focus within each image. Some have several levels of focus, others have less. In some instances, the effect is pronounced, in others, more subtle. The end result in all images, is that the car contrasts sharply with the rest of the picture, which of course, is achieved through the use of good focus.

I would also like to point out that in one or two of the images below, there are some imperfections that I would not normally post in an update, but I feel that the effect I am trying to showcase outweighs the minor faults within each image. So, for now, please look at these great examples of good focus in GT4, and I hope you like these interpretations! :dopey:

GOOD FOCUS PRIMER

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53582540@N07/4976232779/
The tone does look very realistic. Nice job on the saturation control. I think the car/location combo also plays a major factor to achieve realistic images.

Agreed, the location played a part, but if you understand how the lighting works in GT4, it is possible to create similar looking images on other tracks. 👍

This Celica was very well modeled by PD I must say. The details were so amazing when I first saw in GT4. It still looks very good in today's standard.

Yep, this is one standard car that will look superb in GT5. 👍

I love the light in the first picture, it's realistic, indeed.

Thanks pal! 👍

They have indeed a good focus, being the second picture, my favorite in that subject, but I feel that the composition is not the best at all. They are overly too centered for my tastes, thus they don't look much appealing to me.

OK, after the last update, I'm going to change the pace a little with this next one. The tiny details in GT4 are often overlooked, but if you can get the right angle, you can sometimes capture the depth of detail in the game.

This is not a new update, infact some of these were rejects from a previous update Moods Are Anxieties, whilst others were never posted. I've also included a couple of static shots that have been sharpened to within an inch of their lives. As with the last update there are some jaggies at the 'skins layer', on the polygonal layer though, they are flawless.

It's pretty dead around here, so I'm just going to keep posting, and posting until GT5 arrives. maybe you'll spot something you like. I hope you like these interpretations. 👍

SOMETHING DIFFERENT

They have indeed a good focus, being the second picture, my favorite in that subject, but I feel that the composition is not the best at all. They are overly too centered for my tastes, thus they don't look much appealing to me.

:lol: Gotta love criticism, at least it was constructive! Seriously though, I respect your comments pal. 👍

I've never really been 'any good' at composition. If you leaf back through my gallery, you can clearly see me, berating the sometimes average angles in some of my past updates. My forte was, and is, in showcasing what can be achieved with GT4's photomode application. You have to remember also, that I don't use tools to edit these images, just simple blur and sharpen filters. 👍

Another quick update. This was a sample I created, when I first explored the concept of darkness, way back when. I took two shots from one angle, but lit them differently - one in the day, one in the dead of night. To achieve the night look, I shifted the white balance into the blue, and dropped the EV values to get the moon glow effect. I hope you like these interpretations. :dopey:
DAY/NIGHT

PLEASE CHECK BACK FROM TIME TO TIME FOR UPDATES

Mag, I love the dedication you have to continuing right up until GT5 hits :cheers:

The update on focus is outstanding; specifically the first two shots are what do it for me. I actually like the "boring" composition, as it makes me focus on why exactly the cars stand out. The TT is awesomely detailed, your work stands as a testament that people shouldn't think they need a ton of PS work to create great images with the ol' game; just patience and an understanding of the photomode itself. Awesome, awesome stuff 👍

Back