Major League Baseball: 2008 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 330 comments
You don't really need all that much power when you're as fast as he is. He's a slap hitter, and when he gets it in the gap, he's good for 3. The only way I see him getting stats for a homer is if he does it the hard way.

Also, on Justin Morneau: He's a great player. Fantastic RBI man. Also, after looking over the every-day guys on that Twins team... where's the power? Only 3 people on the team have more than 10 dingers.

They're a real team effort. No real standouts besides Morneau.
But Gardner doesn't really get it in the gap at all. He's a singles hitter. Which is fine if you can hit .310 and you walk a lot.

As for the Twins, Joe Mauer is the best player on the team for like the third straight season. He's the MVP of the American League. Again. And no one cares. Again.

Would any of you like to specualte on what you think will be the World Series? I have it at Angels vs. Cubs. It's still too early to make such bold predictions, but if you want to make one, why not share?

Red Sox and Cubs.

No one can compete with the Cubs in the NL. How are you going to beat Zambrano/Harden/Dempster? You aren't. That is, unless you play in the American League.

I think the Rays will wipe the floor with either the Twins or the White Sox. Red Sox/Angels could be a good series if Josh Beckett doesn't play in game three. He plays and the Red Sox win. He doesn't play and it's close.

Last edited:
Since its the end of the season for most of our teams :( It's grading time! I got the idea from the giants forums so I decided to make my own grades here.

First for pitching.

Matt Cain: 85% B, you starting off good being at the top of strikeouts in the league along with teammates Sanchez and Lincecum, then you had a 1.88 ERA month in the middle of summer boosting the Giants for you. Then you fell down and got back up trying your hardest. Keep trying buddy I know you got the stuff.

Kevin Correia: 72% C-, you starting off as nothing special and continued to be pretty bad for most of the season but when you were put in as a reliever for the rest of the season you were able to throw harder and blow people away. You really aren't a starter so I'm looking forward to see you pitch 1-2 late inning games to set it up for Wilson.

Geno Espinelli: 68% D+, with 2-0 record and 5.06 ERA you gave up to many runs but somehow it was enough to not lose. Only having 8 strikeouts total I want to see some improvement by next year, but being a kid you can always turn around.

Brad Hennessey: 70% C-, you proved that you are a worthless reliever, but when we put you in the starter roll you proved that you can control your pitch count well and pitching 8-9 innings without going over 100 pitches. Keep up the hard work and you will get some love.

Alex Hinshaw: 78% C+, you really proved to be a good reliever and you will only get better, you have a consistent mid 3's ERA all year long thus earning respect from fans, with almost 50 K's you will have a good run in the big leagues.

Tim Lincecum: 100% A+, I give you 100% because thats the effort you put into the year. You put up a CY Young like season and earning the respect then more then just fans, and every game you pitched you filled the stands for an otherwise pretty empty park. The last game you struck out 7 of the first 9 batters proving that LA sucks and that #99 (Manny) can't touch your change up. Are relievers blew 7, yes SEVEN games of yours so your 18-5 record could of been 25-5 with a pretty crap team. I love man. 2.62 ERA, and 265 strikeouts. Nothing more needs to be said.

Osiris Matos: 75% C, you will get better as the seasons got by, this was your first year and you will be a 3.50 ERA guy next year with 50 K's. I hope to see more from you.

Pat Misch: 63% D-, proved nothing really but at least did ok on a few occasions. Get better now.

Sergio Romo: 88% B+, man at the end of the year you were absolutely domination. Play like that every year and you are a future closer no question. You got the stuff, the power and the face of a closer. Next year you will be are #1 set up man and get a few opportunities to close the game.

Billy Sadler: 79% C+, you started off numb but started to prove yourself as you gained experience in the Bigs. Next year will be a good one.

Jonathan Sanchez: 81% B-, your a good pitcher, but you need to be starting pitching through the season. You started out a beast and then started to go down hill. Keep your momentum and you will be an All-Star because you got the stuff.

Jack Taschner, 50% F, I have you 50% because you were only there for the team half the time. The other half you just gave up leads and blew a few of Timmys games.

Tyler Walker, 10% F, you suck. I don't want to see you here next year, all you do is throw down the middle or in the dirt.

Brian Wilson, 92% A-, you are a beast. 41 saves and in the last game you made Manny look like a minor leaguer. Your 97-100 MPH fastball is very unexpected. And when you mix your off speed stuff with fastballs of that velocity you just make some of the best hitters look like fools. Next year make less dramatic games, but you sure like to keep them interesting. But considering you have only blown 6 games in your 63 appearances.

Keiichi Yabu: 74% C, you are a decent closer with some good stuff. Keep getting better and you are surely welcome as a giant.

I'm going to do the players later. Also you guys should do it for your team to see how fans of other teams think of there players and how they will do in the future.

Sounds like a good idea Klos!

Pitching:

Alfredo Aceves: B+
For the short amount of time he received at the end of the season, he sure made his mark. He pitched very well in 3 of his 4 starts, and yet he only got the decision in 1 (a win). He gave up just 8 runs in 30 innings. A real surprise. Let's hope he isn't another Shawn Chacon or Aaron Small.

Chris Britton: C
Very average performance. Gave up 3 runs in his last appearance, pushing up his ERA a whole point.

Brian Bruney: A
Another surprise: 1.83 ERA over 34.1 innings. A great year for him, never losing a game. I hope he does as well next year.

Joba Chamberlain: A
Same old same old for Chamberlain: Lights out. His injury really hurt the team when the needed him most. He's the real deal.

Phil Coke: A
0.61 ERA is pretty damn good for a rookie. I like the way the Yanks bullpen is shaping up for next year. :D

Dan Giese: B-
Thanks for the solid reliever, Klos. Even though he was only used 20 times, he was a big help. (Even though he lost 3 games. :()

Phil Hughes: C
Pitched VERY poorly before it was found out he had a cracked rib. Went 0-4 in his 8 starts. Bright spot: His last start, he went 8 innings giving up just 2 runs. Struck out six and walked none.

Damaso Marte: D+
Meh, what a bust. Starting pitching O.K. the past few games. Not coming back next year... hopefully.

Mike Mussina: A+
First 20 win season in his 18 year career? Hells yeah! I hope he doesn't retire. I'd love to see him back for next year. He's a totally changed pitcher.

Carl Pavano: C
I want this guy gone. He did go 4-2 after coming back from the DL for the first time in forever. Got royally beat up in his last start. No-one here in NY likes him anyway.

Andy Pettitte: C+
Went 14-14 for the year... He's on the downward slope of his career. Hopefully he does better next year. Lost 6 starts in a row in late August/September. Usually does the opposite. :irked:

Sidney Ponson: D-
Dump the fat loser. Did nothing for us in September.

Edwar Ramirez: B
Did very well after struggling last year. He and Veras are big parts of the Yankee Bullpen.

Darrell Rasner: D+
The Pirates would have him as their #3 starter. That's not saying much. 5-10 on the year.

Mariano Rivera: A+
Absolutely fantastic year. A much better pitcher than K-Rod or Hoffman. His WHIP is ridiculous: .066

David Robertson: C-
Started pitching better than he did earlier in the year, still nothing to write home about.

Humberto Sanchez: -
Didn't pitch enough to merit a grade.

Jose Veras: B
Did pretty well. Nothing terribly special.

White Sox beat the Twins last night in the AL Central tiebreak.

Today:
Phillies def. Brewers, 3-1 in game 1 of NLDS
Dodgers lead Cubs, 4-2, top 6 in game 1 of NLDS
Angels vs. White Sox, tonight, 10 ET, game 1 of ALDS

D-Backs starting Pitching

Doug Davis: B+, the story of him pitching his 1st two starts before getting an operation to cure his Thyroid cancer is unbelievably great, and the fact that he was only 1.5 innings away from a perfect game, but other than that he was the same old Doug Davis we all know having a typical season.

Brandon Webb: A, 22 game winner, excellent candidate for the Cy Young award, but he won't win it, the # of K's Lincecum has put up this year were just outrageous, and he got hit hard at the worst possible time when the offense was dormant and the Dodgers were breathing down their necks for the division lead.

Dan Haren: A-, Everybody here in Phoenix had high expectations for Haren after that enormous deal with the A's, and he sure delievered up until late August/September when he started to get hit hard just like Webb did, except he didn't quite bounce back like Webb did.

Randy Johnson: A, 1st ballot hall of famer, he could've easily gotten his 300th career victory if it wasn't for the shaky bullpen messing it up for him.

Max Scherzer: B, He's got a little Randy Johnson in him with a good slider and some high heat, the only problem is he struggles to manage his pitch count and often times will have more than 90 pitches by the 5th inning. His cause isn't helped any by the offense when their bats decide to take a day off when Scherzer starts.

Yusmeiro Petit: A+, He did his job well when he was called upon to either fill-in or when he temporarily took Micah Owings' place when he was traded to Cincy in the Adam Dunn deal.

Relivers/Closers

Juan Cruz: A, He has a ridiculous fast ball that he can locate anywhere in the zone.

Tony Pena: A, A great fast ball like Cruz, but he also has some off speed pitches in his arsenal too.

Chad Qualls: A+, IMO he should've been the closer, not Lyon, Qualls is down right nasty with a great change-up, sinker and curve ball, he can trick you too with a good located fastball.

John Rauch: D-, All he's done is give up long balls in close games.

Brandon Lyon: C+, Good enough to be the closer for the first half of the season, but with an ERA in double-digits at home and one not much better on the road left Bobby Melvin no choice but to swap him with Qualls and it worked out for the better for both guys.

Edgar Gonzalez: B, He didn't see very much action, but he was a guy that could close out a game or do some long relief if the starters were scratched or roughed up.

Wil Ledezma: I'm not giving him a grade, but the D-Backs need more leftys in the bullpen.

Doug Slaten: I'm not giving him a grade either for the same reason why I didn't give Ledezma a grade.

Last edited:
1/2 of my projected World Series is gone... the Cubs' curse continues. Since I'm not really a baseball guy and because my Astros aren't in it and the Cubs are gone... I don't care who wins. I just hope my Astros can stop falling on their faces especially early in the season and in crunch time.

Would you say the Cubs getting swept was a lost cause for the Chicago Cubs to do so well all season long, yet get trounced in the postseason?

Damnit... screw LA, screw Loney, screw Manny, screw Kent, screw LA.. wait I said that...

Oh well... GO TAMPA BAY!! GO GO GO!!!

Now my ENTIRE World Series is gone. Guess Spring Training awaits my future for my Astros. Enjoy the Winter, Cubs and Angels.

I hate LA... why can the Giants spank the crap out of them and other teams can't? :grumpy:

Pitching?

The Giants have a good rotation, good enough to where it's down right despicable that the team couldn't even manage a .500 record.

I do like the Phillies because of Chase Utley. I hope they can represent the NL in the World Series.

That was a good game between the Rays and Red Sox, I guess 9 really does equal 8, on the scoreboard anyway.

Part of the World Series is now set- the Phillies are our NL representatives. If Tampa Bay keeps up the good work, we may see Phillies and Rays. It's good for me since former Astros are on the Phillies staff as well as the fact that I'm a Chase Utley fan.

Time to see who gets it done in the AL. Michael Wilbon (PTI) noted that he's tired of the Philly whining of a drought since Chicago and Cleveland have had severe sports title droughts. That especially accounts for the Cubs. Philly made it... but who's next? It could be an all-East Coast series. Actually, Tampa is a Gulf Coast city, but Eastern time zone.

I'm guessing our World Series is set (unless either Red Sox took the game into extra innings or came back to win). Tampa Bay has been around as the Devil Rays for ages. But since dropping "Devil," they've done quite well and are four wins away from being the kings of the MLB for this season. Kind of reminds me of a past team that's been around for not too long and went on to win a title- the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks (you're supposed to smile, TS ;)). If Tampa Bay does win it all, they'd be one of the best turnaround stories in recent baseball memory.

Part of me thinks the Rays will lack any experience of getting to the World Series and playing in it. They've never been here before. The Phillies would love to do the NL proud in taking care of Tampa Bay. So no matter who wins, the East Coast will win the World Series. Just a matter of if it's Tampa Bay or Philadelphia. Let the debate begin!

How the hell did the Rays manage to lose that game?

My dad and I were scratching our heads on the fact that the Rays coach did not pull out the struggling pitcher that gave up 7 runs. It's like watching the 07' and 08' Giants all over again. :grumpy:

The World Series should be a good series nomatter who makes it now. But I'm not going to count out Tampa's inexpierence, as most of there main players have been injured and has been put together a good rookie team. And now that Longoria and Pena are back in the lineup they are a tough team to beat. But then again so are the Phillies with Utley and Howard.

Six teams since 1985 have come back from 3-0 to eventually win the series. More people probably want Boston to lose because they likely feel Boston's overrated. The next game is tomorrow. I will say that I respect Evan Longoria (as well as Eva Longoria, but that's another story :)) for the Rays. I'd like a hitting match between Utley and Longoria if we get a Phillies/Rays World Series.

Six teams since 1985 have come back from 3-0 to eventually win the series. More people probably want Boston to lose because they likely feel Boston's overrated. The next game is tomorrow. I will say that I respect Evan Longoria (as well as Eva Longoria, but that's another story :)) for the Rays. I'd like a hitting match between Utley and Longoria if we get a Phillies/Rays World Series.

:confused:

I thought it was only the Red Sox that did tha-

NO I DON'T WANNA REMEMBER.

I'm guessing our World Series is set (unless either Red Sox took the game into extra innings or came back to win). Tampa Bay has been around as the Devil Rays for ages. But since dropping "Devil," they've done quite well and are four wins away from being the kings of the MLB for this season. Kind of reminds me of a past team that's been around for not too long and went on to win a title- the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks (you're supposed to smile, TS ;)). If Tampa Bay does win it all, they'd be one of the best turnaround stories in recent baseball memory.

Part of me thinks the Rays will lack any experience of getting to the World Series and playing in it. They've never been here before. The Phillies would love to do the NL proud in taking care of Tampa Bay. So no matter who wins, the East Coast will win the World Series. Just a matter of if it's Tampa Bay or Philadelphia. Let the debate begin!

:)

IMO, if they Rays make it to the World Series, I think their story will be better than the story of my D-Backs, because until this season, Tampa has never finished with a winning record, whereas Arizona has finished with winning records for all but 2 seasons (1998 & 2004) in their entire history.

I'm sure Arizona will be better next season. I still hope for a better season for my Astros next season. You know a common answer we get about why the Astros and Rangers don't do so well? "Because we're a football state." Well, nobody reminded the Aeros, Dynamo, and Rockets about being a good sports team outside of our football. Pitching concerns my Astros as well as simply batting the ball 400+ yards as well as getting crucial base hits. Very few people talk about the Astros' double play ability. We have pretty good defense. Just that our offensive and pitching abilities need some work.

I'm sure most Boston haters will want Tampa to win. If the Red Sox win the whole series, it will be an all-New England World Series. Tampa's been a good story all season, so I hope they win the ALCS because I like good stories.

The Red Sox refuse to die. The Red Sox won 4-2. The series is now 3-2. One more win by the Rays will make for a Phillies/Rays World Series. However, two wins away from a Phillies/Red Sox World Series.

[UPDATE] It's now 3-3 in the ALCS. The Red Sox and Rays will play to meet Philadelphia.

Last edited:
It's official- Phillies/Rays for the 2008 World Series! They win 3-1 in Tampa.

NOW let the debate begin as to who takes home the World Series trophy for 2008!

Back