Major League Baseball: 2008 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 330 comments
I just want to say I'm okay. We rode out the storm. This is the first hurricane I can ever remember experiencing. High winds and lots of rain all Friday night into Saturday morning... absolutely no fun.

This is the baseball forums, so I have to talk baseball. Since Hurricane Ike, the Astros' momentum was lost in the hurricane. We lose 5-0 in a no-hitter on Sunday night, lose 6-1 the night after (with a single hit), then lost last night in Miami 5-1. Our season's going to Hell at the most inopportune time. Whether or not the season's going to Heaven depends on how we close out as well as if we can keep the other teams in the NL Wild Card at bay.

Thats for having a cocky team :yuck:
How are the Mets a cocky team? Excuse me sir but we are no Yankees, we know our limits and we also reminisce how badly we can ef up late in the season.

If you're gonna talk about cocky... see Rollings from the Phillies.

D-Backs looking for redemption against the Giants after a 4-game sweep in SF, Dan Haren threw his first career complete game shutout, and the D-Backs won 2-0.

The Dodgers also won last night, their lead in the NL West is still 4.5 games.

I really don't see the d-backs catching those Dodgers. Manny is working hard for that contract extension.

You never know, the Dodgers may collapse like the Mets did last year. The D-Backs offense is incredibly inconsistent, and it always seems to be bad at the worst times possible. But last night was a good offensive night for all the guys, including Brandon Webb who had a 2 RBI double and pitched 8 solid innings, only giving up 3 runs and won his 21st game.

If the Dodgers were to collapse like the Mets did last year, they should have started losing like a week ago. They won today 4-3...

I like how the Met hitter have kinda woken up. Relief pitching is still scary, but a good lead always takes pressure off them.

And Philly... they just keep winning and winning. I must admit, the way they are playing now, they really deserve that NL east title.

How are the Mets a cocky team? Excuse me sir but we are no Yankees, we know our limits and we also reminisce how badly we can ef up late in the season.

If you're gonna talk about cocky... see Rollings from the Phillies.

Jose Reyes, and there was another Met who used to do dances at the end of every home run. Funny thing is that he only hit about 5 in the whole season... No doubt Jose is good, but when ever I see him hit one, specially in this one 7-0 shut out he hit one out and he went nuts around the basses. I mean seriously come on show SOME class. 👎

Anyways, its official, Botchy is the worst manager in existence, and Sabean is the worst General Manager ever. What the 🤬 are the Giants not getting rid of such retarded baseballs managers. Botchy I hope is fired for putting together the worst line up 4 games in a row. Just after we got hot too. 🤬 YOU, YOU SUCK BOTCHY.

If he isn't fired now, which he won't because he plays are vets and not are kids, and Sabean is the same :censored:ing way. It really pisses me off that such a dumb person can be managing a baseball team... But then again the Rangers had one too, but still this is just world class stupidity making players sit for going 9/12 in a series. WTF? Oh yeah putting a .210 hitter 2nd in the batting order? WTF ARE YOU MENTAL? And what the hell kind of move was that putting Velez in LF which caused us the game. Why didn't you put Nate their? Or Bowker, you know they are ACTUALLY OUTFIELDERS, NOT 2ND BASE AND SHORTSTOPS.

Rf winn
2b ochoa
3b aurilia
C Molina
1b sandoval
Cf rowand
Lf velez
Ss Vizquel
P lincecum

Worst order ever. This is what is should of looked like. If I can have 1 wish right now to make me happy next year, is for Botchy to be fired and banned from baseball.

Cf Winn
Rf Schierholtz
3b Sandoval
1b Ishikawa
C Molina
2b Velez
Lf Bowker
Ss Ochoa
P Lincecum

That should be are A team line-up. That way Botchy we can ACTUALLY SCORE RUNS, yeah I don't think you know that THATS WHAT YOU DO IN BASEBALL. And please this thing you call the "Ground Attack" is nothing but putting a low average player behind a high average one. That way we can make sure we ground into a double play.

Seriously, he has not clue what to do as a manager. Please FIRE BOTCHY!

/rant

Jose Reyes, and there was another Met who used to do dances at the end of every home run. Funny thing is that he only hit about 5 in the whole season... No doubt Jose is good, but when ever I see him hit one, specially in this one 7-0 shut out he hit one out and he went nuts around the basses. I mean seriously come on show SOME class. 👎
Answer me this:

1) What the hell is wrong with celebrating for something that doesn't happen that often?? as you say, Jose Reyes only had like 5-10 HRs this season, so why shouldn't the kid be happy about it? If the pitcher gets offended... THEN PITCH BETTER!

2) How does the fact that Reyes dances when hit hits a homer, automatically makes THE WHOLE team cocky? Plus, a home run HELPS THE TEAM, is for the TEAM and he obviously is happy for his TEAM.

3) Why should he be the same as ALL the other players (btw Reyes is not the only one who gets real happy whenever he hits a HR) and not try to pump his team up? FUN IS PART OF THE GAME. I hate it when people take A GAME too seriously. It's so ironic and idiotic.

3)I have no idea who is this "other" Met player of whom you speak of, that "dances" when he hit a HR. But I can tell you one thing, if you bitch and moan about a guy celebrating a home run, why don't you better call cocky those player that don't even run whenever they hit it out?
They just stand there, see the ball leaving the park, and start walking... now that's cocky.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Answer me this:

1) What the hell is wrong with celebrating for something that doesn't happen that often?? as you say, Jose Reyes only had like 5-10 HRs this season, so why shouldn't the kid be happy about it? If the pitcher gets offended... THEN PITCH BETTER!

2) How does the fact that Reyes dances when hit hits a homer, automatically makes THE WHOLE team cocky? Plus, a home run HELPS THE TEAM, is for the TEAM and he obviously is happy for his TEAM.

3) Why should he be the same as ALL the other players (btw Reyes is not the only one who gets real happy whenever he hits a HR) and not try to pump his team up? FUN IS PART OF THE GAME. I hate it when people take A GAME too seriously. It's so ironic and idiotic.

3)I have no idea who is this "other" Met player of whom you speak of, that "dances" when he hit a HR. But I can tell you one thing, if you bitch and moan about a guy celebrating a home run, why don't you better call cocky those player that don't even run whenever they hit it out?
They just stand there, see the ball leaving the park, and start walking... now that's cocky.

Thank you.

Well for one the east coast biased ESPN agrees with me that he does over do it a lot. I never said he only hits 5-10 home runs, the other guy had like 5 or 6 when we played him but I don't remember his name. And I didn't see a familiar name on the current roster. But you say walking is cocky? he would walk from 3rd base to home clapping to himself; but then when he was coming up on home plate he did this side step clap thing right in front of Molina who was shaking his head. And it was enough to piss Sanchez off for him to peg him 1st pitch on the next at bat.

Reyes was waving his arm around his head like it was game 7 of the world series, but this wasn't against the Giants it was against some other team and I just saw it on ESPN. And they were agreeing with me. Yes other players do go out of bounds too, Barry Bonds was defiantly won of them how he jumped in the beginning.

I have nothing against celebrating, but when its a shut out and your celebrating over a struggling team. And pitch better? Maybe you don't know how hard it is, EVERY pitcher has a bad outing. Not one pitcher has gone through his entire carrier with out some bad outings.

Yeah, I was starting to doubt Bobby Melvin's strategy of having Adam Dunn alternate between left/right field and 1st base after Justin Upton came off the DL right after Conor Jackson got hurt and wasn't able to play in any of the games we lost to the Dodgers and Giants.

I was also weary about the David Eckstein acquisition because I thought it was being a little unfair to guys that hardly ever start games like Augie Ojeda and Chris Burke, but Eckstein has been doing a lot of what Dunn had done since he came on and that's draw walks and finding ways to get on base.

TS
Yeah, I was starting to doubt Bobby Melvin's strategy of having Adam Dunn alternate between left/right field and 1st base after Justin Upton came off the DL right after Conor Jackson got hurt and wasn't able to play in any of the games we lost to the Dodgers and Giants.

I was also weary about the David Eckstein acquisition because I thought it was being a little unfair to guys that hardly ever start games like Augie Ojeda and Chris Burke, but Eckstein has been doing a lot of what Dunn had done since he came on and that's draw walks and finding ways to get on base.

Eckstein when with the Angels he was REALLY good. And I mean REALLY GOOD. He was fast, hit hard and could do a bit of power. He sure had a good night yesterday.

Eckstein when with the Angels he was REALLY good. And I mean REALLY GOOD. He was fast, hit hard and could do a bit of power. He sure had a good night yesterday.

Yeah he did, but the D-backs still lost 3-2, we left a lot of guys on base in that game and didn't take advantage of another good start from Max Scherzer.

So Giants defense really won the game today. Also Matt Cain who pitched a real gem blowing the Bums away. Rowand made a huge play throwing out a dodger at home thanks to Molinas brilliant catching :D Also Schierholtz made a very nice diving catch in RF robbing the bums of a run in the 3rd. Then in the 11th inning Rowand singled, then Sandoval grouned Rowand out at 2nd but Sandoval safe at 1st. Hennessey a relief pitcher pinch runs for Pablo. Hennessey who stole a base uncontested out of shear surprise! That was also his 1st carrier stolen base. Then Velez beat out a infield hit, Bum fans even after slow motion replay on the TV clearly showing he was safe think he was out and that it was a terrible call. Then with 2 outs and runners on the corner Aurilia got an rbi single.

Then Manny came up first and got completely fooled by Wilson, who came in and struck Manny and Blake with 100mph fastballs on the corners to get the 3 up 3 down inning.

I am so happy to see Giants pitching to so good, it was a fun game to watch.

GO ARIZONA BEAT LA! :D

Random stat: Dodgers have won ONE, yes ONE playoff game in 20 years. Even if they do make it there, they won't make it far. They really arn't that great of a team, I should be given to Arizona. I really think the WS is going to be the Cubs and the Rays. And I like both of those teams so it will be hard to watch it.

Also how well do you guys think your team will do next year? And who would you like to see stay, and leave your team?

.GO ARIZONA BEAT LA! :D

:D :D

D-backs owned the Rockies yesterday, 13-4 and they went through the entire lineup in the first inning and scored 6 runs. Danny Haren even got an RBI single in that inning. o.O

This week they face the Cardinals and I think they finish the season against the Dodgers this weekend, the D-Backs still have a chance to play in October as long as they keep winning and the Dodgers keep losing. :D

Also how well do you guys think your team will do next year? And who would you like to see stay, and leave your team?

Hopefully the D-Backs can do what they've done a lot in their short history and that's win 90 games.

Hm, that was a nice send off to Yankee Stadium. :D

Great game, great way to end an era too.

TS
and I think they finish the season against the Dodgers this weekend

Nope, the Giants play the Bums last game series. Its a tradition as a long history of rivalry we play the first and last series against each other.

We love spoiling there hopes for October ball. :D

Nope, the Giants play the Bums last game series. Its a tradition as a long history of rivalry we play the first and last series against each other.

We love spoiling there hopes for October ball. :D

Spoil them again so the D-Backs can play in October. :)

The Rockies really beat up on the Giants these past couple days. We went to the Lincecum game on tuesday and the umpires were pretty much blind. 100 pitches by the 5th inning is not Lincecum, but what ever. He past Jason Schmit (sp?) for most strikeouts in a season in a Giants uniform.

We get to beat up on LA hopefully because I know we can. And hopefully Timmy can get win #18.

Stupid LA clinching the west. Oh well atleast we can watch them get there asses kicked in the playoffs. They havn't won a single postseason game in 20 years!

I'm back from Ike as I got power restored at my house for the first time in 12 days. I want to congratulate Arizona on a season well done. I think my Astros are done, so I'm already looking forward to Texans' football. Maybe the Astros can get in the playoffs if there is still a chance.

I was unable to see the final game at the current Yankee Stadium because of no power after Hurricane Ike. A note on PTI stated that the final game at Yankee Stadium COULD have been Boston Red Sox at New York Yankees... one last time at the current Yankee stadium. Should be a great finish to this season.

Bad D-Backs, losing 3 of 4 to the Redbirds, no October baseball for you. *smack* :grumpy:

Well, there's still the rest of the post-season to look forward to, time to start rooting for my other favorite team, the White Sox.

I'm gonna be bored this October, for the first time. The last time the Yankees weren't in the playoffs was when I was 2 years old. :indiff: This = Sucks.

TS
Bad D-Backs, losing 3 of 4 to the Redbirds, no October baseball for you. *smack* :grumpy:

Well, there's still the rest of the post-season to look forward to, time to start rooting for my other favorite team, the White Sox.

Damn, we disagree on everything :lol: other then hoping the Dodgers lose.

Well I have 2 things to look forward too, Cy Young Award for Timmy hopefully! :D I think he gets it.

And the other team I grew up rooting for...

LETS GO CUBBIES!!!!!!!!

Even though the Yankees win-streak was ended at 7 today, I saw one really big bright spot: Brett Gardner had 3 hits on the night. I really like him, and his one issue is his inability to hit. He's fast, got great defense (In the final home stand, he made one great play every game he started) and when he goes for a base, he gets it. I want to see him become a big part of next years team. 👍

Alot of people like him more than A-Rod if that says anything.

I think we are hurtling towards a universe where Justin Morneau is a two-time MVP. Wow that is scary.

I like Brett Gardner a lot, but dude has no power at all. Literally none. I don't think it'd be out of line for him to hit .280-.290 with a bunch of walks, though. Plays good defense and is a very nice baserunner. But the absolute lack of power really limits him. Could be like Reggie Willits of a couple years ago, but longterm he probably doesn't have much of a shot. When pitchers start just pitching him like he's a pitcher because he can't reach the warning track, his career is probably over.

Last edited:
Damn, we disagree on everything :lol: other then hoping the Dodgers lose.

We haven't disagreed on everything, I actually cheered for your Giants a couple of times this season when they played LA.

I guess I didn't cheer loud enough.

Well I have 2 things to look forward too, Cy Young Award for Timmy hopefully! :D I think he gets it.

Yeah, it's either Lincecum (200+ K) or Webb (22 Wins).

I think we are hurtling towards a universe where Justin Morneau is a two-time MVP. Wow that is scary.

I like Brett Gardner a lot, but dude has no power at all. Literally none. I don't think it'd be out of line for him to hit .280-.290 with a bunch of walks, though. Plays good defense and is a very nice baserunner. But the absolute lack of power really limits him. Could be like Reggie Willits of a couple years ago, but longterm he probably doesn't have much of a shot. When pitchers start just pitching him like he's a pitcher because he can't reach the warning track, his career is probably over.

You don't really need all that much power when you're as fast as he is. He's a slap hitter, and when he gets it in the gap, he's good for 3. The only way I see him getting stats for a homer is if he does it the hard way.

Also, on Justin Morneau: He's a great player. Fantastic RBI man. Also, after looking over the every-day guys on that Twins team... where's the power? Only 3 people on the team have more than 10 dingers.

They're a real team effort. No real standouts besides Morneau.

Well, we finally know all the division winners in the National League, and by this time tomorrow, we'll know all the division winners in the American League.

NL
West: LA Dodgers
Central: Chicago Cubs
East: Phillies
Wild Card: Brewers

AL
West: Angels
Central: tba
East: Rays
Wild Card: Red Sox

Division Series Matchups:
NL: Cubs vs. Dodgers/Phillies vs. Brewers
AL: Angels vs. Red Sox/Rays vs. White Sox/Twins

Predictions?

I'd like to see the Cubs win it all just for two reasons: (1) NL solidarity and (2) NL Central solidarity. The AL is just too talented from top to bottom, so whomever wins the eventual NLCS will likely know what kind of mess they got themselves into. My World Series is Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim vs. Chicago Cubs.

Sorry for all the teams that didn't advance to the postseason. That includes my Astros, the Diamondbacks, the Yankees, and teams like that.

White Sox beat the Tigers 8-2, they force a tie-break game with the Twins tomorrow night, I believe the game is gonna be at 7 EST on TBS.

Back