Major League Baseball: 2008 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 330 comments
My Matt Cain also has 2 home runs of the year :)

But yeah I hate the Yankees with a passion. I went the Yankees Vs. Giants game last year... Giants won all three games of that series.

Think Houston is a sports city that has nothing real interesting taking place in Houston? Well, the big story here of late is that Shawn Chacon was suspended on Wednesday. Then, released Thursday. What happened? Chacon was going to be dropped to relief pitching. Chacon cursed Astros management out and paid the price, right? No. What happened was that Chacon actually attacked Ed Wade (Astros general manager). He threw down Wade during a heated conversation between the two. As he tried to get up, Chacon decked Wade again. His furious conduct was just too much for Astros management that they've decided to release him. It wasn't like Chacon was a bad pitcher. He's had plenty of no decisions in games he started and got his first win some time ago. I guess for him, a pitcher trying to be part of the rotation wants to do solid work on the mound. He probably felt he wasn't impressing the Astros' pitching staff. So what happened? He decks the general manager in a furious rage.

You can read more about this incident through the Houston Chronicle here: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5857104.html

Here's an analogy of all this... you are an anchor for a TV news team. As you try to show management that you're one of the best news anchors on TV, you get demoted to a roaming reporter, and you violently show your absolute frustration of being demoted at the executive producer or network president. Very rough circumstances. What do you make of all of this?

Chill pill much Shawn?

It's one thing for your team to be last in their division, another for a player to be mad at the organization for being in last place, but physically assaulting the guy who pays your salary in frustration of the team's performance is beyond the line. I applaud the Astros for taking action against Chacon and his actions, hopefully he learns something from this.

I think we're next-to-last in the NL Central. We're only ahead of the Cincinnati Reds. We're (as well as everyone else in the NL Central) are looking up at the Chicago Cubs for the NL Central lead. The Astros' loss to the Boston Red Sox don't make things much better. I think my Astros need to step up and perhaps be like the 2005 Houston Astros as far as a team that was down in the dumps and had an inspired run to play for a championship. Houston pro sports teams are usually known for being second half teams. So we'll see if the Astros will kick as much booty as they can heading into October. There's still July, August, and September. You can't make the playoffs at the All-Star break. So this is all about making as much noise as possible to make that postseason run. I think we can do it. Only thing is, can the Astros PLAY like they want to play some October baseball? If they can, I'll follow them. If not, there's always Texans' football to look forward to.

I didn't get to see all of the Astros' game tonight as Matsuzaka took to the mound for the Red Sox. Friday night usually means wrestling for me. He basically shown the Astros why he's been so regarded to the Red Sox. It's the final interleague game before we take on the Los Angeles Dodgers on Monday or Tuesday.

The Reds are weak and unimpressive, the only reason they get media attention is because of Griffey and Jay Bruce.

Compared to the other teams who are towards the bottom of their divisions who hardly get TV time on SportsCenter (except when they say that they're playing sloppy ball)

My D-Backs went back to Miami after losing 2 of 3 to the Red Sox, we went back to the scene of the crime, or so they say. 6 weeks ago, the D-Backs and Marlins had a 3 game series where the Diamondbacks were eventually swept, and it went downhill for them from there. Before that road trip we had a 21-9 record, since then we've gone 19-31 for an even .500 record of 40-40.

Hopefully, things will start picking back up after the All-Star break (much like it did last year) and we'll go on to have another 90 win season.

Ugh, so my father and I drive out to Pittsburgh for a Yankee game, 8 hours to get there.

The game was rained out. Whee.

At least the 5 hits the Yanks got were all extra base hits. :D

TS
The Reds are weak and unimpressive, the only reason they get media attention is because of Griffey and Jay Bruce.

What about Volquez? He leads the league in ERA at 2.08 and is second in strikeouts at 110, and tied for 4th in wins with 10. I think he is getting quite a bit of attention.

What about Volquez? He leads the league in ERA at 2.08 and is second in strikeouts at 110, and tied for 4th in wins with 10. I think he is getting quite a bit of attention.

Totally forgot about him, I haven't seen him in action a whole lot and his good peformances have been over shadowed by the recent performances of Cueto and Arroyo.

Especially Arroyo, last time out at Toronto he allowed 10 runs and 11 hits in 1 inning.

ESPN is biased as hell. I always say- NEVER trust ESPN to show any Houston teams any love. They'll only show Houston teams when they get their asses kicked. That's why I have to get used to watching the University of Houston Cougars lose to North Carolina State in 1983. It's why highlights of much better players in the NFL beat my Texans to the ground. We took 2 of 3 from the Red Sox, and all they show on "Baseball Tonight" was a big play in them batting the ball out of Minute Maid Park (though we still won the game). NEVER trust ESPN. Maybe I should apply for ESPN. I wonder if "hating Houston and/or Texas" is a requirement to be a sports announcer or anchor for them.

My Astros were able to win series at Tampa Bay, against Texas (brought the Silver Boot back to Houston), and against Boston. What's good about Interleague play is that you get a chance to see players you don't usually get to see, especially if they play in your hometown. I thought it was great that Daisuke Matsuzaka was a joy to see play at Minute Maid Park against my Astros. We lost that Friday night game BAD. We had an all-offense Saturday night where we won 11-10. We closed out on Sunday beating the Red Sox in pitching duel. Then too, think of the gratification of beating a team from another division, especially National League over American League. You can be Cincinnati and somehow win a series against either Oakland or the L.A. Angels of Anaheim. The American League is just a better baseball conference than the National League. So much talent compared to the National League. I still support the National League because of my Astros. This is my first year of watching Texas Rangers baseball, but just for seeing American League action.

The Astros beat the Dodgers 4-1 in the first of a four-game series. After this, it's the final 3-game road trip for the Good Guys (what we call them here in H-Town). We go to Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and (another team) before coming back home to host the Chicago Cubs.

I just want to thank everyone for posting in this thread as I've tried to bring a little baseball talk to GTPlanet. I'm not doing this like my college football reports, but it's still nice that we can get some Major League Baseball discussion going. Just too bad I couldn't get my MINOR League Baseball discussion going very well. Keep the replies coming!

The Astros beat the Dodgers 4-1 in the first of a four-game series. After this, it's the final 3-game road trip for the Good Guys (what we call them here in H-Town). We go to Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and (another team) before coming back home to host the Chicago Cubs.

Thank you Roy Oswalt for helping the d-backs extend their lead in the NL west.

The snakes beat the Brewers last night, 6-3. :)

Well, my Astros now lost two straight. Only good news is that we haven't been blanked by the Dodgers. We can play for a series split this Thursday afternoon before we hit the road to Atlanta.

I mentioned the Astros' last three-game road trip of the season. Our road trip consist of Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Washington, D.C. I'll love to see the Astros at Nationals games at that beautiful new ballpark in Washington, D.C. After this road trip will be the All-Star Break. Then after that and a day off, we host the Chicago Cubs on July 18th.

The Rays swept the Red Sox for the 2nd time this season at the 'Trop, coming back from a 4-1 deficit in the 7th to take a 5-4 lead and won 7-6.

The D-Backs have lost 2 straight to the Brew Crew, and with the Dodgers winning 2 straight have cut the lead in the NL West from 3.5 games to 2 games.

Yeah, the Astros are going nowhere fast at this point. Maybe we wish the All-Star Break come around sooner so they could all refresh their spirits. So begins our road trip to Atlanta this weekend, and two games at two lovely ball parks- Pittsburgh's PNC Park and Washington D.C.'s new ball park.

Be ready for some Independence Day action! We certainly need some fireworks from the Astros' bats against these teams.

Watching SportsCenter earlier on Independence Day morning, I saw a HUGE comeback (which my Astros can't seem to make nowadays). Milwaukee was supposed to win (at least in their eyes) against Arizona playing at beautiful Chase Field. They were up 5-rock over Arizona. But with no outs in the bottom of the ninth, Arizona staged one hell of a comeback. It was 5-3 after batting around. And in the end, the Diamondbacks broke Milwaukee's hearts with a 6-5 victory. Doesn't this remind you of some other game? Right- Astros leading the Phillies 3-0 when former D-Back, Jose Valverde, did all the work of Astros' pitching... go straight to Hell by losing 4-3 to the fightin' Phils.

That's baseball. My Astros didn't have fireworks as they lost 6-2 to Atlanta and have now lost four straight games. I only dream of a second-coming of the 2005 Houston Astros who went from terrible to triumphant (though getting blanked 4-0 in the '05 World Series).

In other details, the New York Yankees lost again to the Boston Red Sox. The common quote made after the game by one of the Yankees was, "this is between me and my teammates." Not as annoying as Drew Rosenhaus' "...next question!" with Terrell Owens, but the Yanks aren't fairing very well right now. We'll see if the Yankees defend Yankee Stadium proper against their hated Red Sox.

In deciding who should be playing in the All-Star Game, I've been hearing of Mr. Lincecum perhaps being the National League pitcher. I've had some fun with Lincecum in talking about him on GTPlanet. Like how I said he looks much younger than he really is. The scouting report in an Astros' game at the Giants simply said "FLAT OUT NASTY" about Lincecum. Lincecum is one dangerous pitcher. In National League play, I'd love to see a matchup of Lincecum's Giants and Brandon Webb's Diamondbacks. Not sure if C.C. Sabathia will be in the All-Star Game, but I'm hearing he could be traded to Tampa Bay or someplace. Any of you want to speculate where the Indians' pitcher would go if he were indeed traded?

Watching SportsCenter earlier on Independence Day morning, I saw a HUGE comeback (which my Astros can't seem to make nowadays). Milwaukee was supposed to win (at least in their eyes) against Arizona playing at beautiful Chase Field. They were up 5-rock over Arizona. But with no outs in the bottom of the ninth, Arizona staged one hell of a comeback. It was 5-3 after batting around. And in the end, the Diamondbacks broke Milwaukee's hearts with a 6-5 victory. Doesn't this remind you of some other game? Right- Astros leading the Phillies 3-0 when former D-Back, Jose Valverde, did all the work of Astros' pitching... go straight to Hell by losing 4-3 to the fightin' Phils.

Ah yeah, I remember that game, it was incredible how Yost decided to play the infield inside thinking with Mota on the mound, the d-backs would hit ground balls to get easy outs. That's what happened, but instead Robby Hammock singled, Chris Burke walked and Augie Ojeda singled. Mota was pulled off the mound with the bases loaded, Then Brian Shouse came on to the mound and Chad Tracy then hit a 3 RBI double, Shouse was done, then Salomon Torres came on the mound, Justin Upton singled, then Orlando Hudson doubled, which allowed Tracy to score but Upton, who was waved around by 3rd base coach Chip Hale stopped at 3rd.

Then Conor Jackson came up and hit a chopper down the infield, but it slipped off the glove of the short stop and it rolled all the way to left-center field, which allowed Justin Upton and the O-Dog (Orlando Hudson) to easily score.

I believe that was Salomon Torres' first or second blown save of the year, which was good for us. :)

That's baseball. My Astros didn't have fireworks as they lost 6-2 to Atlanta and have now lost four straight games. I only dream of a second-coming of the 2005 Houston Astros who went from terrible to triumphant (though getting blanked 4-0 in the '05 World Series).

What's the word in Houston about Cecil Cooper possibly losing his job as the Astros manager?

In other details, the New York Yankees lost again to the Boston Red Sox. The common quote made after the game by one of the Yankees was, "this is between me and my teammates." Not as annoying as Drew Rosenhaus' "...next question!" with Terrell Owens, but the Yanks aren't fairing very well right now. We'll see if the Yankees defend Yankee Stadium proper against their hated Red Sox.

I think Girardi is expecting too much out of his players, the Yankees aren't the young and vibrant players that they used to be, and this teams' age is starting to show. Their only real saving grace is their pitching, which is still quite good considering that their ace Chein Ming-Wang is possibly out for the year.

But I think it was good on Girardi to basically tell the team that if they don't get their asses in gear, he won't be afraid to start shuffling guys around and may do some trading, there's still nearly a month left until the trade deadline.

In deciding who should be playing in the All-Star Game, I've been hearing of Mr. Lincecum perhaps being the National League pitcher. I've had some fun with Lincecum in talking about him on GTPlanet. Like how I said he looks much younger than he really is. The scouting report in an Astros' game at the Giants simply said "FLAT OUT NASTY" about Lincecum. Lincecum is one dangerous pitcher. In National League play, I'd love to see a matchup of Lincecum's Giants and Brandon Webb's Diamondbacks. Not sure if C.C. Sabathia will be in the All-Star Game, but I'm hearing he could be traded to Tampa Bay or someplace. Any of you want to speculate where the Indians' pitcher would go if he were indeed traded?

I've heard that the D-Backs new ace, Dan Haren is also a favorite for NL pitcher. Brandon Webb is still quite commanding after a 9-0 start, but ever since he got hit in the lower back by a line drive in New York, he's been struggling with his pitch control and has been in some pretty big jams.

The word with Sabathia is that the Brewers are willing to trade away a couple of position players in order to get Sabathia and a couple of future draft picks.

On Friday (I believe), there was an all-offense game between Florida at Colorado. The game ended in an 18-17 win over the Marlins. Funny thing about this? The Rockies were trying to come back from a 9-run deficit. The pitchers had to be ashamed of themselves for giving up so many runs.

As for today, my Astros snapped their losing streak by blowing out the Braves 6-1. The rubber game is Sunday afternoon. We could have a chance to further pad our season if we do well in Pittsburgh in our next series. And our final series before the All-Star Break will be at the Washington Nationals.

The Houston Chronicle confirmed that we are officially at the bottom of the NL Central heading into our Saturday match at the Atlanta Braves. Yes, we are doing worse than the Cincinnati Reds. But here's a suprise... what team has the worst record in the MLB? It's not Seattle, belive it or not... it's the San Diego Padres. I think they've won one less game than the Mariners heading into this Saturday's matches. San Diego's usually a pretty good team. I don't know what's up with them this season. Seems like the best NL team in California right now is the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Last thing I'm reporting is that the Yankees finally found a way to beat the Red Sox as they won their Saturday match. They can get a series split if they can take down the Red Sox in Sunday's match.

The Houston Chronicle confirmed that we are officially at the bottom of the NL Central heading into our Saturday match at the Atlanta Braves. Yes, we are doing worse than the Cincinnati Reds. But here's a suprise... what team has the worst record in the MLB? It's not Seattle, belive it or not... it's the San Diego Padres. I think they've won one less game than the Mariners heading into this Saturday's matches. San Diego's usually a pretty good team. I don't know what's up with them this season. Seems like the best NL team in California right now is the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Mariners aren't doing too bad after they fired John McLaren as their manager.

lol, you say the Padres have the worst record in the bigs, but they somehow managed to win the first 2 games in their series against the D-backs.

The big story of late has been Alex Rodriguez (A-Rod) going through a divorce with his wife, Cynthia Rodriguez. Cynthia hired a lawyer from here in Houston to help make this divorce possible.

My Houston Astros hope to turn around their pathetic turn of luck by going to lovely PNC Park with perhaps the most beautiful view of Pittsburgh of any sports arena.

Can anybody say... "here come the Brewers?" The Brewers got themselves a Cleveland Indian. They completed a trade to get C.C. Sabathia from the Tribe. I guess they still have J.J. Hardy and Prince Fielder. So the Astros' chances of overtaking everyone else in the NL Central just got tougher.

The big story of late has been Alex Rodriguez (A-Rod) going through a divorce with his wife, Cynthia Rodriguez. Cynthia hired a lawyer from here in Houston to help make this divorce possible.

Wow, that sucks. She gets half of everything. That's a lot of stuff! :nervous:

Well, the Yanks new call up Brett Gardener drove in the winning run last night against the Sox, so I'm a happy camper. :D

Can anybody say... "here come the Brewers?" The Brewers got themselves a Cleveland Indian. They completed a trade to get C.C. Sabathia from the Tribe. I guess they still have J.J. Hardy and Prince Fielder. So the Astros' chances of overtaking everyone else in the NL Central just got tougher.

Milwaukee traded away 4 minor league prospects, including OF Matt LaPorta, who I've heard is a really good player in triple-A and was hoping to make a couple of starts for the Brewers this season.

Hopefully Milwaukee's bullpen will be able to start picking up performance because with Ben Sheets and Sabathia in the lineup now, they're gonna have a great 1-2 punch.

Wow, that sucks. She gets half of everything. That's a lot of stuff! :nervous:

A-Rod will still be getting all of his $135-ish million with the new deal he signed with the Yanks in the offseason.

A trip to Pittsburgh (even with a 2:00:00+ hour rain delay couldn't save the Astros as we lose 4-3. Bob Allen (Sports Director for Houston's ABC affiliate, KTRK Channel 13) thinks this season is over with no recovery in sight. I take the "glass half full" approach to my Astros, but the Astros may be heading into double-digit numbers of games below .500 should this continue. We're all alone in last place in the National League. But not, thankfully, the team with the worst win-loss record. Lot of us Houston sports fans probably are following the Comets or Dynamo at this point. I'm still watching my Astros and not looking forward to Texans' football just yet.

Any of you other fans seeing your favorite MLB team sing the blues?

Any of you other fans seeing your favorite MLB team sing the blues?

Everybody out here (in arizona) is worried that d-backs left fielder Eric Byrnes may be out for the year with a heavy strain in his right hamstring. There's a rumor being spread around, and may be true after the D-Backs GM said that he wouldn't rule out putting Barry Bonds on our roster.

Well... the news isn't much better for your Diamondbacks because they got blanked 5-0 at the Nationals. Meanwhile, my Astros snapped their three-game losing streak against the lowly Pirates. We denied them sweeping us. Now that the Nationals took care of home field against the Diamondbacks, it's time for my Astros to pay them a visit starting Friday. It's the final series before the All-Star Break.

Well... the news isn't much better for your Diamondbacks because they got blanked 5-0 at the Nationals.

Micah Owings just didn't have a great outing at all, he hit 3 batters, walked 5 (which allowed a run to score) and had 0 K's. Things only got worse when Connor Robertson gave up a 3 run HR to Jesus Flores.

The 3 games the Giants played in New York against the Mets...

Oh My God, I swear to 🤬 god that the Mets are paying those umpires... They are just sooo horrible, among the worst I have ever seen, and the announcers were agreeing with me. And the Mets player are soooo 🤬 cocky doing dances during a shut out... I want punch those kids in the face and tell them look, you are hitting just over 200 and have 15 RBI's and 3 Home Runs during the whole year, you ain't 🤬 of a player, now go sit your fat 🤬 down and play the 🤬 game. Funny how this kid is a cocky ass but strikes out the next 4 times he comes up to bat. He blows he should be kicked and banned out of the major league for being an ass. The umpires should also be fired and thrown into a pit hungry sharks. Also the fact that Bengie Molina (Best hitting catcher in the NL) didn't get all-star position pisses me off, and that Rowand lost to 2 lousy dick wad players??? WHAAAT?

In the eastern conference I'm yelling go Phillies because I can't stand the Mets, and there fans. I also can't stand the people that own the Giants because they don't send down crappy players like Castillo... I'm just pissed right now and I needed to get that out... I already broke enough things these last couple days.

The Nationals may not be as sorry as most people make them out to be. They handled the Diamondbacks... now my Astros in a 10-rock shutout. Still dead last in the NL Central and 14 games back of the leading Chicago Cubs. GM Ed Wade (whom you may remember being thrown to the ground by Shawn Chacon last month) says that this is still a team capable of winning games. After watching wrestling, the Nationals led 8-0. It was all elementary after that. It's a good thing they play series because otherwise, you'd go home mad as hell. Roy Oswalt only pitched one inning after having more injury issues. Going nowhere fast. While it's supposed to be a hot weekend here in Houston, the Astros are anything but hot right about now.

If there's any glimmer of hope for Astros fans, it's that Houston sports teams are known to be better second-half teams. Either the Cubs fall apart like a Cadillac El Dorado, or we get hot and somehow climb to the top (even if to fight for a Wild Card).

The Nationals may not be as sorry as most people make them out to be. They handled the Diamondbacks... now my Astros in a 10-rock shutout. Still dead last in the NL Central and 14 games back of the leading Chicago Cubs. GM Ed Wade (whom you may remember being thrown to the ground by Shawn Chacon last month) says that this is still a team capable of winning games. After watching wrestling, the Nationals led 8-0. It was all elementary after that. It's a good thing they play series because otherwise, you'd go home mad as hell. Roy Oswalt only pitched one inning after having more injury issues. Going nowhere fast. While it's supposed to be a hot weekend here in Houston, the Astros are anything but hot right about now.

The D-Backs still won the series against the Nats, but our lack of offense is starting to show big time without Eric Byrnes, Chris Snyder and now we're without Justin Upton until the All-Star break.

And the fact our bullpen is banged up too is allowing the opponents to make up any deficits.

Random MLB Chatter...

* They're called the Diamondbacks, but these D-Backs were more like cobras or vipers to the Phillies. The D-Backs injected their venom into the Phillies as they blew them out 10-4.

* My Astros signed our top draft prospect and may play in 2010. Meanwhile, we took a game back from the Nationals in a 6-4 victory. This doesn't mean very much since the Cubs won their game.

I'd like to offer my deepest thoughts and prayers in loving memory of Mr. Mercer, who died at the age of 62. We've lost three people in three different fields of study today: Bob(?) Mercer who was 62, Tony Snow who was 53, and Dr. Michael DeBakey at 99. But back to baseball. How will you remember Bob Mercer?

Something I forgot to mention... this is the first-ever time that the New York Mets have hit the ball fewer than three times in five straight games. I'm sorry... this is damned pathetic. This is like a Single-A team trying to move up to Majoe League levels.

Yankees get the 9-4 win at the boring (but not H.H.H. Metrodome boring) Rodgers Center. A-Rod passed Mickey Mantle for most home runs all-time. * Boston spanked Baltimore 12-1.

I mentioned the Cubs winning. They beat Prosthetic's S.F. Giants in extra innings. Now the Cubs are 20 (that's right... 20!) games over .500. There's just no stopping the boys in blue from the Windy City.

Random MLB Chatter...

* They're called the Diamondbacks, but these D-Backs were more like cobras or vipers to the Phillies. The D-Backs injected their venom into the Phillies as they blew them out 10-4.

The 8 run 4th inning for the D-backs is what we really need in order to build up a lead against the Dodgers in the NL West.

* My Astros signed our top draft prospect and may play in 2010. Meanwhile, we took a game back from the Nationals in a 6-4 victory. This doesn't mean very much since the Cubs won their game.

Good luck to the Astros. Hopefully the D-backs bullpen can get themselves back together otherwise we may have to sign one of our draft picks (Daniel Schlereth) to help them out.

Something I forgot to mention... this is the first-ever time that the New York Mets have hit the ball fewer than three times in five straight games. I'm sorry... this is damned pathetic. This is like a Single-A team trying to move up to Majoe League levels.

At least the Mets are winning, they're within a game of the Phillies and they've won 8 straight IIRC.

I mentioned the Cubs winning. They beat Prosthetic's S.F. Giants in extra innings. Now the Cubs are 20 (that's right... 20!) games over .500. There's just no stopping the boys in blue from the Windy City.

Considering how good the Cubbies' bullpen has been throughout the season and how good Rich Harden is I found it surprising that they were able to blow a 5 run lead.

Back