Major League Baseball: 2008 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 330 comments
--- Getting Interesting... ---
There's an interesting series going on- the Chicago Cubs at the Milwaukee Brewers. Chicago won the first tilt in this series with a 6 runs, 11 hits, and no errors to Milwaukee's 4 runs, 8 hits, and only one error.

--- Astros Talk ---
My Astros led 3-0 over the Reds after one inning. However, our smiles were wiped away as Cincy hit a Grand Slam over us. Didn't matter. That's all the run support they'll get as we won 5-4. Just about every game counts now for my Astros.

--- If There Were Two More Teams... ---
I was thinking about something. What if there were two more teams to make the team count at 32 teams? Where would they play? A factor for me is that I can think of places that could be interesting to see MLB action. However, an issue I have is that they may be in the way of cities with Minor League teams. So here are some cities I thought of to have a few more Major League Baseball cities with MLB franchises:

NOTE: visit < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_Major_League_Baseball_teams > for a list of past MLB teams.

* San Antonio. A team in San Antonio could mean the start of a new rivalry with the city 6 hours east of San Antonio- Houston. And that's if they join the National League. An American League team in San Antonio would mean that San Antonio would play the Texas Rangers more often.

* Portland. The Rose City is best known for the Portland Trailblazers as far as major American sports go. But imagine about 40K or 50K seeing an MLB game. I think if there was a team in Portland, I'd love for Portland to be a National League team so that the National League gets a Pacific Northwest team... unless you want two American League teams in the lovely Pacific Northwest...

* Memphis and Nashville. There's never been an MLB team from Memphis. Same goes for Nashville. I know there's a Minor League team in Memphis and maybe Nashville as well. Can the MLB survive in Tennessee if any expansion teams were created in these two cities?

* Huntsville, Alabama; Birmingham, Alabama; and Mobile, Alabama. Love your baseball in the South? Huntsville would be a great city for an MLB team. Birmingham is usually a good sports town. Mobile is one of those cities on the rise. My only concern about an MLB team in Mobile is if there's something like a hurricane or something since Mobile is so close to the Gulf of Mexico. I can imagine one of these cities hosting a National League team. Pretend the Florida Marlins wanted to move someplace else and go to another city. This could be one of those opportunities. Miami would lose a pro sports team, but they could play in perhaps a better market for baseball.

* New Orleans. I think there's a Triple-A Minor League team in New Orleans. What are the chances this becomes an MLB city? I can imagine the Louisiana Superdome being used for baseball, meaning that it may be as boring as the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. I'm imagining an American League team filling the Big Easy.

* Boise. Not exactly the Pacific Northwest, but still a lovely city for what it is. Why not an MLB team here unless there's not enough interest to fuel an MLB team in Potato Country? I best know Boise for the Boise State Broncos as well as their wonderful fight song. (humming Boise State fight song) Oh! Sorry... got carried away. They could be an NL West team if a team was formed.

* Louisville, Kentucky. Louisville is best known as the home of the Kentucky Derby. I know Louisville as [University of Louisville] Cardinals' country. I can think of an American League team at the 'Ville. I'd imagine Louisville as having a Major League team, but I'm not sure about if there can be teams in Frankfort (capital of Kentucky) or even Lexington. Lexington is home of the Lexington Legends, a Single-A affiliate of the Houston Astros. There have been Louisville pro teams in the past- the Colonels and the Grays.

* Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Like your baseball in Oklahoma? These are two fairly good sports cities. Oklahoma City's going to have their boys formerly of the Seattle Supersonics. If anything seems likely, building up Oklahoma City a bit more would be interesting to include an MLB team to give Oklahoma City a little more exposure. As for Tulsa, I wonder if there would be enough interest to have such a team.

* Indianapolis. The Indianapolis Blues and Hoosiers have been around before in Indy. I know the Indy for the Indianapolis Colts, the Indiana Pacers, and especially the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This can be home to either an American League or National League team. An American League team would mean that Indy can play games between close rivals like Cleveland or Detroit. A new National League team in Indy would mean that close opponents include the Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati.

* Charlotte. There is a Triple-A team in Charlotte called the Charlotte Knights. This city could offer the Charlotte market as well as the Carolinas in general. Closest teams in proximity would include the Atlanta Braves and Washington Nationals. So it could host a National League team, unless an American Leage team would give the Carolinas some exposure.

... Buffalo, New York? Proclaimed as one of the most boring sports cities, it probably wouldn't make much sense to base a team in Buffalo. There have been over three past teams in Buffalo including two Buffalo Bison teams in two different leagues and the Buffalo Buggeds/Blues. A team isn't likely unless New England wants another AL or NL team.

Now for some "What If?" teams... What if there were MLB teams based in...

...Honolulu? If it's 2:00 AM CDT, it's 9:00 PM CDT in Hawaii. An MLB team would NEVER happen in Honolulu for two big reasons- long travel distances and late games. Evening games usually start at 7:00 PM local time. I'd have to wait for a long time just to see a team play in Honolulu. If it had a National League team, then seeing teams like my Astros play means I'll have to wait later at night just to see a late afternoon or early evening game in Hawaii. Then imagine such a team playing against East Coast teams in NL and Interleague play. Would be interesting, but would probably never happen.

...Anchorage, Alaska? There's about a three-hour time difference between Central time and time in Alaska. If it's 2:00 AM CDT in Houston, it's 11:00 PM ??? Daylight Time in Alaska. You can forget about baseball here unless it's in an indoor ball park. They, too, would have to travel pretty far to play games in the Lower 48. This would be another city of hope for a National League team in the Pacific Northwest.

... San Juan, Puerto Rico? It would be interesting to see a Puerto Rican MLB team, but I don't think it would be possible for one reason- tropical weather. With a nice Latin and Carribbean(?) contingent in baseball, this would be a great chance to see America's game played in a place other than America or Canada. Maybe an American League team would suffice here unless Tampa Bay is seen as the team representing the far southeastern reaches of the United States.

...Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada? I know Vancouver as the home of the former Vancouver Grizzlies before they became the Memphis Grizzlies. A National League team here would mean a National League team for the Pacific Northwest, as well as a National League team centered in Canada since the Montreal Expos left for Washington D.C.

...Ottawa, Ontario, Canada? We have one team in Ontario... why not another? I always wonder how is it that Toronto usually is part of American pro sports (NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS), but not most other cities in Canada? Ottawa is Senators' country if you're an NHL fan. You wouldn't have to travel too far to see a National League team in Ottawa if you want an NL team in Canada.

...Edmonton, Alberta, Canada? An American League team in Edmonton would give the Mountain Time zone its only AL team. There hasn't been an Edmonton MLB team to my knowledge. Wouldn't it be interesting to see an MLB team here?

...Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico; or (maybe) Mexico City, Mexico? I have known some people from Monterrey before. I don't know if baseball is huge in Mexico as it is in places like Venezuela (as far as Latin American countries go), but think of a Mexican MLB team? It could be likely that a team could actually be sustained in Mexico. Mexico City does have a baseball stadium I've seen when Champ Car raced around El Autodromo de Los Hermanos Rodriguez.

One last thing... I wish the Minnesota Twins change up their logo. Everytime I see that logo with the "C" interlocked with the "T," I keep thinking it's the Texas Rangers. But, it's the Minnesota Twins in their boring ball park. Better for Vikings football and Golden Gophers college football. NOT baseball.

A rumor is out that Miguel Tejada could be traded to the Boston Red Sox. Astros' GM Ed Wade says it's unlikely Tejada will be traded. This is funny for our series with the Reds: we get scored on with a Grand Slam on Monday... we win 5-4. We scored on them yesterday with a Grand Slam... we win 6-2. Will there be a third helping of a Grand Slam by either or both teams? The Astros have won this series whether they win this game or not. Astros will need to win tonight's match in order to improve their position in the NL Central. This will set them up for the NL East's New York Mets coming to town for a three-game set this weekend. We're about 5 games under .500

In other NL highlights, Carpenter will make his first start for the St. Louis Cardinals since April 2007. The ESPN Wednesday Night Baseball match is the Chicago Cubs and Milwaukee Brewers. This is a crucial series as the battle for the NL Central continues between these two NL Central leaders.

In the AL... the Texas Rangers hit a walk-off 2-run jack to beat the Seattle Mariners... I think 11-10. Seattle is now 40-66 on the season. Twenty-six games under .500! Don't know how this compares to the San Diego Padres, but this is sad. Almost made you wish Ken Griffey Jr. (in his 1990s form) was with Seattle banging balls out of the park. * The Tampa Bay Rays went to Toronto and took them down 3-2. * Anything Tampa can do, the Yanks can do better. How about a 13-3 beating of Baltimore earlier today? * The Angels go to Fenway Park to meet the Red Sox. * The White Sox meet the Twins tonight in a battle between two 10-win pitchers.

Should be a fun Wednesday...

Yankees just traded Kyle Farnsworth for Ivan Rodriguez. Surprising to say the least.

EDIT: John, they're called the Twins for a reason. The "Twin Cities" of St.Paul and Minneapolis.

Astros got beat up 9-5 tonight. We get a day off for Thursday before we host the Mets. After this, we go up to Chicago Cubs next Monday. We then have two successive four-game sets first in Cincinnati, then back home to meet Prosthetic's Giants. Wonder who we'll send to the mound to take on Tim Lincecum once the Giants series rolls around...

The Cincinnati Reds have reportedly agreed to trade Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox.

FOX Sports
Ken Griffey Jr. has never played in a World Series. He might be on the verge of getting his chance.

The Reds have traded Griffey to the White Sox, pending his approval. Griffey will decide Thursday morning whether he will approve the deal, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. It is not known what the Reds would receive in return.

Griffey, as a player with at least 10 years of major-league service, five with the same club, has the right to block any deal. The White Sox attempted to acquire him from the Reds at the trade deadline in 2005, but the trade reportedly was nixed by Reds ownership for financial reasons.

The White Sox, leading the American League Central by a game and a half, would use Griffey mostly in the outfield, the source said. However, they do not have an obvious spot for him unless they make another deal.

The Sox are set at the corners with Carlos Quentin in left and Jermaine Dye in right. They could play Nick Swisher at first to open center for Griffey, a move that would reduce the playing time of first baseman Paul Konerko and designated hitter Jim Thome. But Griffey has not played center regularly since 2006.

Griffey, earning $12.5 million this season in the final year of his contract, is owed more than $4 million in salary. The Reds could pay a portion of that sum to acquire better players in the deal. The White Sox also could be seeking to acquire one of the Reds' available relievers, right-hander David Weathers or lefty Jeremy Affeldt.

Griffey, 38, is batting .245 this season with a .355 on-base percentage, 15 home runs and 53 RBIs in 359 at-bats. Earlier this season, he hit his 600th home run.

Part of me says that Griffey's 1990s form is still in him. He's going to the Hall of Fame eventually. The White Sox still has an amazing season. This will make the White Sox that extra bit of a true contender. Have to see how he does going up against teams like the Yankees, Rays, Red Sox, Rangers, Angels, and other AL contenders (sorry, Seattle and Cleveland).

He'll still be a solid player even if he played for a team 20+ games under .500. Never discredit his value to a team. He's still a solid player who'll consistently bat some balls out of the park and get base hits. White Sox are going to get a hell of a lot better, especially if he sees the White Sox as that Fountain of Youth.

My Astros have the day off to make ready to host the New York Mets in a three-game set. I think the Mets are atop the NL East. So we may be able to give the other NL teams a chance to close ahead of the Mets, especially if we win some games against them. After this series, it's a trip to meet the Cubs in a 3-game set followed by a 4-game series at Cincinnati. Then we head back home to host the San Francisco Giants in a 4-game set. Going to be quite busy for my Astros! One weird thing... I think this will be the first-ever series we'll play against the Mets THIS SEASON. Can you believe not playing a team until past the halfway point?

I want to see what Griffey is able to do in center field, because it's been 2 or 3 seasons since he's played center field, a position where he's had so much success.

Anyway, there's been another big trade involving another future Hall-of-Famer

ESPN
Slugger Manny Ramirez's stormy relationship with the Boston Red Sox is over.

Ramirez has been traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Red Sox will pay the remaining $7 million of Ramirez's contract, ESPN.com's Peter Gammons reported.

"When a player like Manny becomes available, I don't think there's a manager in baseball who wouldn't say they're interested," said Dodgers skipper Joe Torre, whose Yankees teams went toe-to-toe with Ramirez for years. "It was something that happened very quickly, obviously."

Jason Bay is going to Boston and the Pittsburgh Pirates get four minor leaguers as part of the three-way deal.

Third baseman Andy LaRoche and right-handed pitcher Bryan Morris will go to the Pirates from the Dodgers. Outfielder Brandon Moss and right-handed pitcher Craig Hansen will leave the Red Sox organization for Pittsburgh.

Remarks by Ramirez, who has been involved in trade rumors the last few years, might have been the final straw for the Red Sox.

"The Red Sox don't deserve a player like me," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com Wednesday. "During my years here, I've seen how they [the Red Sox] have mistreated other great players when they didn't want them to try to turn the fans against them.

"The Red Sox did the same with guys like Nomar Garciaparra and Pedro Martinez, and now they do the same with me. Their goal is to paint me as the bad guy. I love Boston fans, but the Red Sox don't deserve me. I'm not talking about money. Mental peace has no price, and I don't have peace here."

Ramirez, the MVP of the 2004 World Series, remains one of baseball's best hitters and has enjoyed plenty of big moments in October. But his relationship with the Red Sox soured -- again -- in recent months, prompting the All-Star outfielder to agree to the deal.

The Dodgers began the day one game behind first-place Arizona in the NL West, and were seeking a big bat. Boston, in the middle of the AL East race and chasing a second straight World Series title, wanted a productive hitter in return and got that in Bay.

Even before landing the enigmatic Ramirez, Los Angeles had a crowded outfield. Torre has been juggling Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Andruw Jones and Juan Pierre.
More on Griffey deal

"You wish you had the DH," Torre said. "We didn't plan in advance how to move things around."

Ramirez had a .312 batting average with 274 homers and 868 RBIs with the Red Sox, who have won as many postseason series with their former slugger in seven and a half seasons as the Dodgers have in the last 88 years.

Ramirez, 36, was hitting .299 with a team-leading 20 homers and 68 RBIs for Boston. He hit his 500th career home run this year and is one of just eight players to hit at least 20 homers in 14 consecutive seasons.

Ramirez is in the final guaranteed season of an eight-year, $160 million contract. It also contains club options at $20 million each for 2009 and 2110.

At 29, Bay is a two-time All-Star and was hitting .282 with 22 home runs and 64 RBIs. Tampa Bay pursued Bay before he wound up with the Red Sox, who trail the first-place Rays by three games in the AL East.

LaRoche, Moss and Hansen will join Pittsburgh and Morris will go to Class A Hickory.

ESPN.com baseball writer Jayson Stark, ESPN.com staff writer Amy K. Nelson, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, ESPN senior writer Keith Law and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

We took the win off of a Grand Slam by Mark Loretta. We won by a football score of 7-3. I tuned in at the Top of the 7th when the relief pitchers shown some character with no outs and the bases loaded. My goodness... our relief pitching was absolutely on point as we allowed absolutely no runners home. Then WE loaded the bases in the 8th, and Loretta cashed in a Grand Slam that would be the game changer. Heilman took the loss for the Mets as Doug Brocail picked up the win.

Meanwhile, the Cubs get blanked 3-0 by the Pirates at Wrigley Field. Pirates starting to show some life and sick of the "lowly" tag some people give them. This is the first ever shutout the Cubs fased * Currently, the Diamondbacks lead the L.A. Dodgers 2-1 bottom of the 9th. That includes Manny Ramirez's tour of duty in Los Angeles. Johnson picked up the win for the D-Backs. * The Colorado Rockies won 5-2. * 9-0 was the score as the Braves got blanked by the Milwaukee Brewers. * The Cardinals won 6-3 at home over the Phillies. * California was the winner of this match: it was the San battle- San Francisco at San Diego. The San Francisco Giants won 3-2 at the very nice PetCo Park. * The Tigers lost at Tampa Bay as Detroit was downed 5-2

In the AL, a defensive struggle saw the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim win 1-0 at the New York Yankees. I'm sure TopHat wasn't pleased that the Yanks lost. The Orioles beat the Mariners 10-5 in Seattle. * My AL represntative Texas Rangers won their match against the Toronto Blue Jays 9-8 on a walk-off jack in the bottom of the 9th. * Jason Bay debuted to the Red Sox as the R. Sox won 2-1 in 12 innings. That damned Green Monster. White Sox won 4-2 at the Kansas City Royals. Not sure how Ken Griffey Jr. did wearing black and white. He's back in the AL after being that dangerous tour de force from his days in Seattle as well as that popular SNES game bearing his name.

Have a great weekend of baseball, people!

Yeah, fantastic. Two in a row. They managed to put on a real pitching clinic at my last game at the Stadium. :rolleyes:

Hehe, from what I heard on the broadcast of the D-Backs/Dodgers game was that Tommy LaSorda wants Manny to be Manny, with shorter hair.

Astros beat the Mets 5-4 in ten innings. I didn't see the game because I was either taking a little nap or was watching the "Championship Gaming Series" finale on G4. Just hope they can do this in Chicago when my Astros meet the Cubs.

The Sunday Night Baseball match on ESPN is Philadelphia at St. Louis. Any ideas on how this NL game shapes out?

We got our first series sweep in some time as we blanked the Mets 4-0. However, a taller order is up this weekend. Because of the threat of Tropical Storm Edouard, I may have to listen to tonight's game on the radio at Chicago Cubs. HOpe your team wins your game!

Giants won 2/3 against the Padres.. ya... and with Zito in his last 6 starts he is 4/1 with a 3.0 era... WOW!!! His last outing he had 8 shut out innings allowing 2 hits... Where was this at the beginning of the year?? We could be a contender :*(

Giants won 2/3 against the Padres.. ya... and with Zito in his last 6 starts he is 4/1 with a 3.0 era... WOW!!! His last outing he had 8 shut out innings allowing 2 hits... Where was this at the beginning of the year?? We could be a contender :*(

Now with Manny Ramirez in the heart of the Dodgers' lineup, it's gonna be hard for everybody else in the NL west to keep up.

NOTE: Because of Tropical Storm Edouard, I may not be online for a few days (unless something really bad happens). So feel free to comment in my abscence.

The Astros won a rain-shortened game 2-0 over the Cubs. Seriously bad weather impacted the Chicago area as people at Wrigley Field had to evacuate. Same went for the players as well. * Prince Fielder is a good player for the Milwaukee Brewers. However, he had to be restrained as he got frustrated with Manny(?) Parra in the Brewers' dugout. They lost 6-3 at Cincinnati. The Astros/Cubs series will play a huge role in the NL Central standings. Since the Cubs and Brewers lost, not much ground has been gained. The Brew Crew are now 2-7 in their last nine games after being swept by the Cubs.

In the AL, a different storm was brewing and washed away the New York Yankees on a walk-off Grand Slam by the Texas Rangers. Game was played in Arlington, TX as they won 5-9. The AL East is still led by Tampa Bay with Boston down three games to them. * Seattle handed the Twins their butts an 11-6 beating off of an Ibañez Grand Slam.

Whatever happens with Tropical Storm Edouard in my area will determine if I'll be able to post more material any time soon.

No threat around my way. I'm back... but so are the Cubs' winning ways. They won 11-7 in a game I didn't know took place earlier in the day. The rubber game is Wednesday. How we do here will set us up for Cincinnati and our four game set with them.

Pettitte had yet another wonderful pitching performance, and it took the Yanks till the 7th to turn on the offense. Eerily similar to the game last Thursday. :irked:

The Cubs knocked our teeth out today. Pitcher Brandon Backe of the Astros had given up 11 runs in one inning. We WERE trailing 1-0 early. Great... this will set us up for Cincinnati and our four-game set there. We have two straight four-game series coming up. This road set with Cincinnati, then back home to Minute Maid Park to take on Prosthetic's San Francisco Giants.

I was watching a little bit of Yankees at Rangers earlier. Last I checked, the Yankees led 5-3 in the Bottom of the Seventh. Not sure how it ended up. Speaking of AL teams, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have an amazing 71 wins on the season and 40-something losses. If the World Series were decided here, it would probably be Cubs vs. Angels.

I was watching that Yanks at Rangers game, the Rangers would be doing a lot better in the wild card standings if their infield could play some decent defense.

As good as the Cubs are I don't see them winning it all this year. They really have never been a good October team if you will. They always seem to blow it in the end, much like my Giants. The Angels do look like the best bet as a world series winner as they have many vet's that have been there. But I think we are forgetting Tampa Bay... right now they lead the AL East and there offense is impeccable, and their is no doubt in my mind that they are clearly going to be the winners in the East. The Yankee's and the Red Sox are just seem a bit week at the moment but they can still do it.

As for my Giants they were just able to take 2 out of 3 against the Atlanta Braves and 2 out of 3 against the struggling Padres. But the fact is we are actually starting to score runs again and Brian Wilson are closer has been lights out since the All-Star break and is still leading the NL with 32 saves. But not only that but future Giant shortstop Ivan Ochoa has been making spectacular plays and getting the job done at the plate too hitting 306. Something that 13 time gold glove winner Omar Vizquel has not been able to do for the Giants. And are 2nd basemen Emmanuel Burris has been hot now hitting almost 300 also.

On another note, one year ago today Barry Bonds hit home run number 756 to past Hank Aaron as the all time home run leader. Your thoughts?

Yeah I saw that but it's a year old... so I thought I would just mention it...

But you mention that A-Rod isn't a cheater and will break his record... (And don't mix me up as a Bonds fan because I hate his guts) A-Rod also has been under investigation on steroid use it just hasn't gone too public yet as he hasn't broken any records yet.

Pitcher Roy Oswalt is now 21-1 all-time against the Cincinnati Reds. I wonder what other pictures have had lots of wins against one team and only few losses. We won 7-4. We did lead 1-0 at one point even leading 5-0 for the first half of the game. This is a chance to move up in the NL Central. Just depends on how far we can really go.

Anyone else want to give any progess reports on your favorite teams?

As good as the Cubs are I don't see them winning it all this year. They really have never been a good October team if you will. They always seem to blow it in the end, much like my Giants. The Angels do look like the best bet as a world series winner as they have many vet's that have been there.

The Angels will have a big decision to make this season regarding the deal with Mark Teixeira that IMO wasn't really needed to help them reach the post season, the Angels were going to win the AL West regardless if they had Casey Kotchman or Big Tex in their lineup.

Supposedly, Teixeira is looking for a 4 or 5 year deal worth at least $100 million, which would mean that the Angels may have to give up K-Rod or Torii Hunter so they can afford it. Pretty much, Teixeira better start looking for another new team to play with and a team that's willing to pay him, because the Angels are only gonna use him as a rent-a-player for the rest of this season.

But I think we are forgetting Tampa Bay... right now they lead the AL East and there offense is impeccable, and their is no doubt in my mind that they are clearly going to be the winners in the East. The Yankee's and the Red Sox are just seem a bit week at the moment but they can still do it.

The Rays are probably the biggest story, and possibly biggest question mark once October comes around. I had originally picked the Rays to win the AL Wild Card, but with the Yanks and Red Sox being so far behind them now, it's gonna be a big task for either team to leap frog the Rays in the East.

The Yankees are done, they lost Chien Ming-Wang (and it looks like he won't be back this season), they just lost Joba, their only real saving grace when it comes to pitching is Mike the Moose Mussina and Petitte. Their offense can get it done with Giambi, A-Rod, Johnny Damon, Nady & Jeter.

On another note, one year ago today Barry Bonds hit home run number 756 to past Hank Aaron as the all time home run leader. Your thoughts?

Pitcher Roy Oswalt is now 21-1 all-time against the Cincinnati Reds. I wonder what other pictures have had lots of wins against one team and only few losses. We won 7-4. We did lead 1-0 at one point even leading 5-0 for the first half of the game. This is a chance to move up in the NL Central. Just depends on how far we can really go.

D-Backs legend and future hall of famer (300 wins or not) Randy Johnson is 14-0 in 15 starts against the Cubs.

And D-Backs ace Brandon Webb I believe is 5-1 in 6 starts against the LA Dodgers.

Anyone else want to give any progess reports on your favorite teams?

Yeah, my D-Backs nearly got no hit the other day when Pirates pitcher Jeff Karstens had a perfect game through 8.2 innings. The perfecto was broken up with a double by center fielder Chris Young, but the D-Backs still lost 2-0. And we lost again last night to the Braves, 6-4. But they still have a 1 and a half game lead over the Dodgers in the NL West.

It took ten innings, but the Astros won 9-5 over Cincinnatti. Carlos Lee got his 1,001st RBI by bringing home two runners. Good times for the Astros, but a rough time for the Diamondbacks as they could only muster six (or five?) runs compared to Atlanta's eleven runs. Texas' other MLB team, the Texas Rangers, got beaten 9-1 at Baltimore.

My Astros are in this four-game set in Cincy, then come home to meet the Giants in another 4-game set. I think we get the Cubs at home after the Giants' series. The Astros may be able to pull to within .500 if we somehow sweep this series. Maybe a game over .500 if we sweep.

I'm not digging this whole manny mania crap... he came here in SF (even though we lost) he went 0/4 against Zito...

Tomarrow will be a different story... Last time we played this pitcher we smacked him around so much that he left I think in the 3rd inning... I would much rather see the D-Backs in the play-offs then the stupid bums (what Giants fans call Dodgers)

Giants will take the next 2 games. :sly:

...but a rough time for the Diamondbacks as they could only muster six (or five?) runs compared to Atlanta's eleven runs.

Six runs. :(

The Braves just knocked around Doug Davis & Billy Buckner.

I'm not digging this whole manny mania crap... he came here in SF (even though we lost) he went 0/4 against Zito...

lol, Manny has hit 4 homers and has a BA around .600 and a slugging pct of over 1.000 since he was traded to the Dodgers. His debut for the team wasn't all that spectacular against Randy Johnson last weekend, I believe he went 1 for 3 and grounded into 2 double plays.

Tomarrow will be a different story... Last time we played this pitcher we smacked him around so much that he left I think in the 3rd inning... I would much rather see the D-Backs in the play-offs then the stupid bums (what Giants fans call Dodgers)

Me too. :D

Back