Major League Baseball: 2008 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 330 comments
I found out the Astros are 56-59 heading into tonight's match at Cincinnati. We won 3-1 and are now 57-59. A series sweep could send us back to Houston with a 58-59 record. I'm not counting on a sweep because you never know what to expect in a baseball game. It isn't like football or basketball where it's almost a given one team wins over a weaker program. I think ESPN called us a struggling team. Hell, who said the Reds were better than the Cubs? We're not struggling THAT bad. And if we're REALLY that bad, then explain how the Cardinals whacked the Cubs 12-3 earlier today at Wrigley Field. Every Cubs loss is a chance for everyone else to make up some room.

How do you kill a diamondback? Hire a Brave kill it... at least in the minds of the Atlanta Braves. The D-Backs just got lit up again 11-4 tonight. Arizona had eight runs and a horrid four errors. The Braves finished with 14 hits and just one error. It's going to be tough for the D-Backs to stay atop when a hungry Dodgers team is closely at the Diamondbacks' ankles. I'm not sure where Atlanta is in NL East play, but they are usually a powerful team year after year. The Phillies still lead the NL East, but only one ahead of the Mets.

The Giants won 3-2 in ten innings. Not sure if it was Barry Bonds' appearance or not. Those Giants took care of business on a beautiful evening at beautiful AT&T Park in beautiful San Francisco. Congratulations, Prosthetic!

AL Chat now. I'm sure TopHat has to be pissed about his Yankees as they lost 11-4 at the Angels' beautiful ballpark. My home state's Texas Rangers fell in another chasm in Baltimore, losing 9-0 at the Orioles. That's right... they lose 9-1 on Friday, now 9-0 Saturday. Will my Rangers actually win a damned game there for a change? * Battle of the Sox! Boston played at U.S. Cellular field against the Chicago White Sox. Boston won 6-2 (I believe).

How do you kill a diamondback? Hire a Brave kill it... at least in the minds of the Atlanta Braves. The D-Backs just got lit up again 11-4 tonight. Arizona had eight runs and a horrid four errors. The Braves finished with 14 hits and just one error. It's going to be tough for the D-Backs to stay atop when a hungry Dodgers team is closely at the Diamondbacks' ankles.

For whatever reason the Braves have done incredibly well in Chase Field, they're 27-13 in the 40 games they've played there since 1998, and they're looking for the sweep this afternoon. Hopefully, Brandon Webb can stop the bleeding and get his MLB leading 17th win. :)

Unfortunately, our 2nd baseman Orlando Hudson also got hurt in that game. :(

(American League) I didn't know Tampa Bay is one of the youngest franchises as they are in their 11th season. They picked up their 71st win at least 1,000+ miles from home as they were in Seattle. * The Battle of the Sox (as I like to call it) was won today by Chicago's White Sox in a 6-5 victory. * My AL-representing Texas Rangers finally figured out how to score runs in Baltimore as they won their match 15-7 at Camden Yards. * An exciting finish in Southern California saw the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim take down the New York Yankees 4-3. Angels are now 74-43 so far this season. They may well win the AL West for all I know unless Oakland or Texas (which I didn't know was an AL West team) can say anything about it. I'm not even going to count Seattle as a contender since the Mariners have slept with the fishes down at the bottom of Puget Sound season-long. * Heading into Joey D country, the Detroit Tigers beat the Oakland Athletics 6-1 at lovely Comerica Field. * Indians played Duck Hunt against the Toronto Blue Jays and won 4-0 over them.

(National League) As for my Astros, they swept the Cincinnati Reds with a 13-4 victory. We head back to Minute Maid Park to welcome the San Francisco Giants for a four-game set. We are now one game under .500, yet still eight games back of Milwaukee. * The Cubs didn't help us out so much as they won 6-2 against St. Louis in ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball match on a beautiful evening there. * I thought San Diego was sorry... they pounded the Colorado Rockies 16-7. You could say that San Diego beat the Mile High City's team... by miles. * Arizona found the best way to take down Atlanta. Hot-lanta went ice cold in Phoenix (strange references, huh?) as they lost 6-1.

I am still fairly experienced with the MLB. I always think teams are based in wherever based on regions. That's why I thought that the Pittsburgh Pirates were an NL EAST team rather than an NL Central. But they are in the NL Central. I put too much emphasis on regional teams to tell what conference teams are in (other than American and National Leagues). This was something I just wanted to get across from some past posts of mine. Thanks for your reading. Hope your favorite team won and your least favorite team lost.

Of coarse my favorite team won and least favorite lost... Giants beat 2/3 again the Dodgers... Oh yeah Manny was held to 1 rbi if I recall correctly. I think Hamilton and Chipper Jones right now are the best the best hitters in the league. Not stupid Manny :sly:

Looks like your Giants will be welcomed to the heat and humidity of Houston in a four-game set. Both of our teams are under .500, but my guys have a chance to go above .500 in this series. With all due respect to the Giants, I think we have more to lose than the Giants as we're still trying to stay alive in at least the NL Wild Card race. We have to keep winning series while also hoping the leaders screw up so we can make the playoffs in October.

Should be an interesting series. I'll even like to (of course) see Tim Lincecum in action against my Astros. I always called Lincecum as a starting pitcher with closer-like ability. Dude is just flat out nasty. A glimmer of hope for the Giants may be that we may not have the services of Carlos Lee. We'll see what happens here.

Looks like your Giants will be welcomed to the heat and humidity of Houston in a four-game set. Both of our teams are under .500, but my guys have a chance to go above .500 in this series. With all due respect to the Giants, I think we have more to lose than the Giants as we're still trying to stay alive in at least the NL Wild Card race. We have to keep winning series while also hoping the leaders screw up so we can make the playoffs in October.

Should be an interesting series. I'll even like to (of course) see Tim Lincecum in action against my Astros. I always called Lincecum as a starting pitcher with closer-like ability. Dude is just flat out nasty. A glimmer of hope for the Giants may be that we may not have the services of Carlos Lee. We'll see what happens here.

Lincecum will be pitching tomarrow! :sly: Followed by Zito. Tonight it's Sanchez who is been having some troubles...

I don't Giants are completly out... We are only 9 games out :crazy: but Arizona was having trouble with a team the Giants crushed and LA also got there neck strangled by the Giants... But Colorado is there two... But I think we can pass them... I have not words for the Padres though... They are usually a good team but this year they have too many older players much like the Giants. Also LA has a real tough August schedule as they play other contending teams. Giants also have the best record in the last 10 games and we have a few hitters like Randy Winn and Aaron Rowand who are super hot right now.

Who knows this is a funny year that has been dominated by good pitchers. Well other then teams like Detroit and Phillies who are dominated by power hitters.

I thought San Diego was sorry... they pounded the Colorado Rockies 16-7. You could say that San Diego beat the Mile High City's team... by miles.

Livan Hernandez was on the mound for the Rockies, and I can see why the Twins put him on waivers, he allowed 7 runs in 1 inning including 3 home runs. :eek:

Arizona found the best way to take down Atlanta. Hot-lanta went ice cold in
Phoenix (strange references, huh?) as they lost 6-1.

D-Backs seem to always find a way to win with Webbster on the mound.

The D-Backs start a 6 (or is it 7?) game road trip on Tuesday, 3 (or is it 4?) games against the Rockies (our division rivals from last season in the pennant race) and 3 (or is it 4?) games against John's Astros, where a couple of former 'Stros (Chad Qualls and Chris Burke) look to avenge their former team.

I don't Giants are completly out... We are only 9 games out :crazy: but Arizona was having trouble with a team the Giants crushed and LA also got there neck strangled by the Giants... But Colorado is there two... But I think we can pass them... I have not words for the Padres though... They are usually a good team but this year they have too many older players much like the Giants. Also LA has a real tough August schedule as they play other contending teams. Giants also have the best record in the last 10 games and we have a few hitters like Randy Winn and Aaron Rowand who are super hot right now.

The Padres are out of it, and as the color commentator for the D-Backs Mark Grace says, "the *insert sucky team here* officially stink".

Your Giants will probably need more offense support for that outstanding pitching staff if they want to even be in striking distance of the Dodgers and D-Backs come September. And with LA getting Manny Ramirez and the D-Backs just acquiring Adam Dunn from the Reds will make it even tougher for the Giants if they stay put.

TS
Livan Hernandez was on the mound for the Rockies, and I can see why the Twins put him on waivers, he allowed 7 runs in 1 inning including 3 home runs. :eek:

D-Backs seem to always find a way to win with Webbster on the mound.

The D-Backs start a 6 (or is it 7?) game road trip on Tuesday, 3 (or is it 4?) games against the Rockies (our division rivals from last season in the pennant race) and 3 (or is it 4?) games against John's Astros, where a couple of former 'Stros (Chad Qualls and Chris Burke) look to avenge their former team.

The Padres are out of it, and as the color commentator for the D-Backs Mark Grace says, "the *insert sucky team here* officially stink".

Your Giants will probably need more offense support for that outstanding pitching staff if they want to even be in striking distance of the Dodgers and D-Backs come September. And with LA getting Manny Ramirez and the D-Backs just acquiring Adam Dunn from the Reds will make it even tougher for the Giants if they stay put.

Yeah defiantly... The Giants definatly have the offensive cababilities with power hitters such as Aaron Rowand, Bengie Molina and John Bowker, but thats the thing, they haven't been hitting the long ball. They are hitters that like the ball up, umpires this year are calling them quite low so pitchers throw them low, so they don't get there sweet spot enough.

If we can get some more home runs I think we have a chance. We usually don't lose by much and we tend to get a few people on base late in the game , then blow it.

Yeah defiantly... The Giants definatly have the offensive cababilities with power hitters such as Aaron Rowand, Bengie Molina and John Bowker, but thats the thing, they haven't been hitting the long ball. They are hitters that like the ball up, umpires this year are calling them quite low so pitchers throw them low, so they don't get there sweet spot enough.

If we can get some more home runs I think we have a chance. We usually don't lose by much and we tend to get a few people on base late in the game , then blow it.

Well the fact that the Giants home ball park isn't one that favors home runs isn't helping their matters either.

Lincecum wants revenge against my Astros. He gets his chance starting Tuesday night. Showers and thunderstorms are likely here in Houston for Tuesday. Thankfully, we have a retractable roof. So only things like a power outage would delay this game from being completed. The Astros commentary crew had a scouting report that called Lincecum as "flat out nasty." Hope he brings that flat-out nasty (which I know he will) when the Giants take the field here in Houston.

Astros won 3-1 over San Francisco, and the 'stros can thank Ty Wiggington for his three-run jack that was just enough to get the Astros over the Giants. We are now at .500 with this win. Whether or not we have a winning record depends on what happens after Tuesday's match with Tim Lincecum. I heard the Giants will take on Atlanta in a weekend series. You go from beautiful San Francisco with consistently comfortable temperatures... to two hot places in the Summer! Enjoy the warmth of the South, San Francisco Giants! ^_^

Time I announce a few National League games...

* The Diamondbacks get the Rockies in a 9;05 EDT start.
* Brewers go southwest to meet the Padres at Petco Park.
* The Phillies meet the L.A. Dodgers.

And here in Houston, it's my Astros vs. Prosthetic's Giants. Can the boys in Brick Red take down the Bay Area's Giants? We'll see as Tim Lincecum takes the mound for tonight's match.

Brick Red is our primary color, but I still wonder what would happen if the Astros adopted those rainbows as their primary outfit. Good old days!

I think teams should only use there old colors... The Giants is so awesome with their bright orange shirts outlined in black!

San Diego's is cool too with the military patterns... I really am looking forward to tonights game after 5 hours of clearing a room cleaning it preparing it for paint!

Lincecum has about 157 K's compared to Oswalt's 120-something. One of the scouting reports on Lincecum this time has him called as the "baby-faced youngster." I learned he's a right-hander. I'm right-handed myself, so I can appreciate him being part of the right-handed brotherhood. Roy Oswalt has a 4.5 ERA compared to Lincecum's 2.60-something ERA. I figured this would be quite a pitching duel. I heard that Lincecum's is learned under the pitching of Sandy Koufax... not that I've seen Sandy pitch.

A thing I like about his pitching is that he has a nice curveball that ends up going right into the strike zone. Not sure if it's a curve or a breaking ball. Either way, his pitching is very effective. He seems to really hurl the ball into the strike zone, daring you to take a swing. His flamboyant pitching style is wicked. Almost as if he's possessed by a demon or some other spiritual creature as he deals those deathblows he calls pitches.

During the Astros' telecast, I learned that there is a such thing as a minor and major league team in the same city. I think San Francisco's Triple-A affiliate is AAA Phoenix. So it is possible to have a major and minor team in the same city. Isn't Chase Field in downtown Phoenix or in a Phoenix suburb? We beat the Giants 12-4, but it was just an unfortunate incident to take out Lincecum by accident. I sometimes wonder how come pitchers don't have extra padding and protection. I know it isn't every day that pitchers get whacked in the head or at the knees, but I think pitchers need some protective gear for just-in-case deals.

While Lance Berkman's Grand Slam was the big highlight in the Giants/Astros game, it was nothing compared to that free-for-all at Fenway Park. My AL-reppin' Texas Rangers took on the Boston Red Sox. I heard Boston led 10-0 until we had ourselves a Texas shootout up in New England. The Red Sox won 19-17 and avoid becoming (and I need some help with this stat for verification) the first-ever defending MLB champions to give up 10 or more runs and lose. Okajima got the win for the Red Sox while Francisco took the loss.

I heard Boston led 10-0 until we had ourselves a Texas shootout up in New England. The Red Sox won 19-17 and avoid becoming (and I need some help with this stat for verification) the first-ever defending MLB champions to give up 10 or more runs and lose.

Do you mean, "score ten or more runs and lose"? I imagine that teams that have given up 10 or more runs have lost many times.

I think that was the stat. I'm not a stat person personally.

The Yankees won in Minnesota. I still think football fields make terrible ballparks. The ballpark is terribly boring. Thankfully, I hear a new ball park is in order for the Twins. It's scheduled to open in 2010 (according to: http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/minbpk.htm ). It looks amazing from the pictures I've seen. So we'll have to wait one more year until they finally open up that lovely new ball park.

During the Astros' telecast, I learned that there is a such thing as a minor and major league team in the same city. I think San Francisco's Triple-A affiliate is AAA Phoenix. So it is possible to have a major and minor team in the same city. Isn't Chase Field in downtown Phoenix or in a Phoenix suburb?

Yeah, Chase Field is in the heart of Downtown Phoenix, but I would have to assume that if the Giants' AAA affiliate is in Phoenix, Arizona then I would probably guess they would use one of the fields that many teams like the Cubs and Dodgers use in spring training.

The Houston Astros won the four-game series against the San Francisco Giants with a 6-2 victory. The series finale will be Thursday at about 1:05 PM. After the Giants' series, it's the friendly rivalry between me and TS as the Astros host the Diamondbacks in a three-game weekend series. B-Webb goes Friday night against my Astros. So no matter what happens Thursday, the 'stros are going to have to earn their money facing Arizona.

This is also the battle of two teams with ball parks with retractable roofs. :)

San Francisco ended up losing to my Astros as their winning streak goes to eight games. We've swept two-straight series, but I'm not expecting a sweep of Arizona at home. Arizona is much too powerful. We've handled San Francisco, but I'm not expecting us to... okay. Maybe 2 of 3 from Arizona, but not a sweep. We may just win Friday night, lose Saturday, and win the rubber game on Sunday afternoon.

Nice chatting about your Giants in this series, Prosthetic. It's now TS's turn for his Diamondbacks to come to a somewhat cooler (as in temperature) city than Phoenix. Should be a great series.

Can't really comment on today's D-Backs game, I was in school. :(

But Haren was on the mound, so I'd be really surprised if they lost.

After the Giants' series, it's the friendly rivalry between me and TS as the Astros host the Diamondbacks in a three-game weekend series. B-Webb goes Friday night against my Astros. So no matter what happens Thursday, the 'stros are going to have to earn their money facing Arizona.

Heh, Webb is looking to have another Cy Young season like he had in '06, 17 victories so far, I believe the only pitcher in the NL that is close is Edinson Volquez with 15.

The pitching matchup for the series looks to be pretty good, Webb (17-4, 2.88 ERA) vs Wandy Rodriguez (7-4, 3.89 ERA) on Friday, Yusmeiro Petit (1-3, 3.12 ERA; he replaces Micah Owings in the rotation after he got traded to Cincinnati in the Adam Dunn deal) vs Brandon Backe (7-11, 5.14 ERA) on Saturday and the Randy Johnson (10-8, 4.18 ERA; looking for win 295) vs Roy Oswalt (10-8, 4.52 ERA) on Sunday.

This is also the battle of two teams with ball parks with retractable roofs. :)

Playing or watching a ball game in 105 degree heat in mid-August is no fun without AC.

Arizona is much too powerful. We've handled San Francisco, but I'm not expecting us to... okay. Maybe 2 of 3 from Arizona, but not a sweep. We may just win Friday night, lose Saturday, and win the rubber game on Sunday afternoon.

How the series goes will depend on how consistent the D-Backs offense is. Most of the team are fairly young (I think the d-backs are the 2nd or 3rd youngest team in the MLB) and they have a tendency to be very inconsistent. Sometimes they'll be on base every time they swing, and sometimes they'll strikeout a bunch of times. (especially Mark Reynolds & Adam Dunn, although he has drawn twice the walks than Reynolds)

It sucks that Timmeh got hurt... At least it was only a bruise... Giants played really bad that series... Which sucks because we won the 3 before that... But we just got 3 new guys that are good hitters so hopefully they work out good.

Though we've been winning, the NL Wild Card is still somewhat out of reach. Milwaukee is now about seven games back as the Padres took care of the Brew Crew. Even the Astros were saying that the only way to keep hope alive is to keep winning as many as possible. We're doing a great job. Whether or not we sustain this while (hopefully) the NL Wild Card leaders stumble depends. We're going to have to go without Carlos Lee. Houston sports teams have had a tendency to be second-half teams. Remember when the Rockets ripped 22 straight wins before falling apart (bad too) to eventual NBA Champs, Boston? Just because the first half of the season stinks doesn't mean we'll stink bad the rest of the way. That's been our character. There's still a lot of time ahead. So it not like I'll be looking forward to Texans' football while the Astros get stuck in neutral.

Having said this, it's Brandon Webb vs. Wandy Rodriguez for Friday night. If the Astros expect to make a serious run for the NL Wild Card, it's not going to come easy against Arizona. If we lose, we have to hope the Brewers lose too so we don't lose too much ground. We're done in the NL Central, so our best hope is to win the NL Wild Card. Look how far we went in 2005. Still hope...

Astros pulled up to the drive thru of the Arizona Diamondbacks and was served an ass-beating deluxe with extra fries and a super-size drink. There's no shame in losing to Arizona (even with Brandon Webb), but the Astros knew what they signed up for. It was a B-Webb beating. Wandy Rodriguez really seemed off of his game from the action I was able to see. And with this, the Astros' 8-game winning streak was burned up like an afternoon in the Phoenix heat. They lost 12-2 as Brandon Webb gets another win and making my Astros look stupid.

If we're going to lose, we need the Brewers to screw up to even have a chance to stay strong. We need every advantage we can take if we want to play in the postseason. Otherwise, I can always root the Texans on to make their first playoff experience...

Giants beat the Braves 5-1.. Yay, thanks to an early one run lead in the first followed by a few more later, and a Randy Winn home run. At least are hitting has gotten a lot better in the last week or so... Hopefully it continues.

Rodriguez walked 5 batters in the 1st inning, and hometown boys Chris Snyder & Chris Young hit balls towards those large oranges (those oranges that Lou Pinella referred to as pumpkins) in Minute Maid park.

The Brewers aren't helping the cause of John's Astros, and they're not helping my D-backs, they lost to the Dodgers last night. LA and Arizona are still tied for the NL West lead.

I was watching my Texans play against the Saints in preseason play as well as watching Michael Phelps make PLENTY of noise in Beijing.

This Sunday will be a special day for Astros fans as Craig Biggio's #7 will be retired and placed along fellow "Killer B," Jeff Bagwell. Lance Berkman's going to have his #17 retired some day in the future while being part of the Cooperstown Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, showers and thunderstorms are pretty likely for most of this week with strong chances of bad weather for Sunday and Monday. We do play in a ballpark with a retractable roof, but it may be a miserable Sunday outside.

My Astros lost 11-5. The Astros really know how to fall flat on their faces when being tamed by some other team. The D-Backs won this series and may well win this series. Milwaukee (road) is next followed by (I believe) another trip to Wrigley Field. Maybe it was a good thing for me to watch something other than another lowly Astros performance. Just because I don't watch an Astros game doesn't mean I want them to lose.

The Brewers won at Los Angeles Dodgers 4-3 in ten innings. Chicago White Sox won their match as well. Minnesota won their home game 7-6.

Miggy Montero hit 2 home runs and nearly had 3, and Chris Young hit his first grand slam! :D

And Yusmeiro Petit ties his longest career outing of 7 innings. Today the d-backs are looking for the sweep of the Astros, but I have a feeling it won't come as easy as it did Friday and Saturday, Roy Oswalt is on the mound for the 'Stros.

Giants won 2 out of 3 so far against the Braves hoping to take the game tomorrow. Timmeh pitched today and went 7 2/3 innings with 10 strikeouts and 3 hits. Giants won 3/1 thanks to a career first home run by Travis Ishikawa in the second inning which gave us an early 2-0 lead.

Random fact. With Tim pitching, when the giants score 3 or more runs he is 17-0. Crazy.

My summary of the Yankee game today:

At first I was all :irked:, when Moose gave up 3 runs in the first.

Then I was all :D when we held the Royals scoreless for 7 innings and scored 15 runs ourselves, but considering it's the Royals we're talking about, it's no huge feat.

Back