Major League Baseball: 2011 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 770 comments
CAM
Yeah, the hitting was definitely ice cold, as I said it. Last comment for the night, David Freese's post game interview struck me as SoCal surfer dude, not St. Louis kid :lol:.
I kept thinking he looks like Wayne Gretzky, he must be good. :lol:

Was listening to the cards radio feed on the net and the announcer must have declared 5 times that if they won, they would walk away with game 7. Can't say I disagree, given Texas' issues closing out this one.
On another note, I will get to SEE game 7 since it on Saturday morning here and I can go to a pub :)

CAM
David Freese = Ice Cold. 2 strikes, bottom of the ninth, elimination game of the World Series? He hits a game tying two run double. I'm rooting hard for the Rangers, but I gotta tip my hat to him. Just FYI, the Rangers aren't gonna pull this one out ;).

You mean red hot? Ice cold usually refers to a player struggling ;)

This surpasses the Giants 2001 5 out blowup. Which still gives me chills to this day... I'm a big believer in momentum in baseball... Texas needs to come out to game 7 fired up and come out swinging. Get hungry and take it.

Rangers are letting the old Dallas choke complex get 'em. And with the momentum shifting to the Cards at their home field, I think they'll take it unless the Rangers decide to come out strong.

100 times this. Being a playoff sports fan, this game was an instant classic but wanting the Ranjshers to finnally get a WS champonship it is horrendous. Even this morning I can't believe they let this one slip away. :grumpy::ouch:

Prosthetic
You mean red hot? Ice cold usually refers to a player struggling ;)

This surpasses the Giants 2001 5 out blowup. Which still gives me chills to this day... I'm a big believer in momentum in baseball... Texas needs to come out to game 7 fired up and come out swinging. Get hungry and take it.

I meant ice cold as in not being affected by the overwhelming pressure of the situation. Red hot, at least to me, means success over an extended period of time, which Freese didn't really have :lol:.

CAM
I meant ice cold as in not being affected by the overwhelming pressure of the situation. Red hot, at least to me, means success over an extended period of time, which Freese didn't really have :lol:.

Ice water in his veins!! 👍 Cool under pressure. I'm with you on this.

CAM
I think after this showing, I'll be happy either way it goes tomorrow, just as long as the Cards don't pull another Game 3.

This is pretty much blowout status at this point, I wish the game would get a little closer. My attention is not being held well :grumpy:.

Nor the Rangers'. It's like they are done. Two highlights from the second half of the game: Honda minivan commercial with the Black Sabbath & the State Farm life insurance with Hank. Hank: "You are lucky lady!" :lol:

a6m5
Honda minivan commercial with the Black Sabbath.

You like that commercial? It was kinda cute the first time, but from then on it just kinda bugged me.

OT: At least the Rangers have shown that they are legit from these last two years, I'm happy for them. I hope they can get 4 runs in the 9th, but after the high stress of last night, I don't see how it can happen.

Amazing to think how far the Cards have come since the beginning of September.

Even more amazing to think that last night the Rangers were a strike away, twice, from winning it all and let it get away.

I'll never forget that Game 6. My team actually is the Braves, but they would have never reached this far, so I'm glad the Cardinals stepped in to take charge. :D

I shed a fair number of tears tonight. I watched about 60 games this season, and this was simply incredible. What an amazing run and almost too good to be true.

Albert, if you don't come back I can only feel sorry for you I guess.

He doesn't need money for anything. All he wants is to be the highest paid first baseman in the game to show that he's the best, which he is, but that's a stark contrast to the usual way he goes about thinking.

Look at the payroll of other teams: the Yankees, the Phillies, etc. trying to buy championships. Those teams lack something special. When we won it in '06 we only had 83 wins!! That was the worst record ever for a World Series champion, and then look at this season. Teams with high payrolls often lack grassroots, and without that kind of depth you tend to lack that something special.

I watched Allen Craig hit the ball out of the park in Springfield, Mo. and treat the fans to $1 Andy's Frozen Custard concretes many a time, and now look at him. This one is special.

a6m5
I'll never forget that Game 6.

Neither will I. One of the best sporting events I've been ever watched. It was absolutely amazing. Congrats to the cards although I was pulling for the Rangers.

He doesn't need money for anything. All he wants is to be the highest paid first baseman in the game to show that he's the best, which he is, but that's a stark contrast to the usual way he goes about thinking.

Yeah, but pay means nothing. A-Rod has been the highest paid player for some time yet he was never at any point in his career the best player in baseball.

I can't wait for the off season to start and kick in. I love getting up in the AM and spam F5 and read all the articles on MLBtraderumors.

Some info for the off-season....

Updated 2012 Free Agent List

Dates:
Nov. 3rd: Free agents will be able to sign contracts with new teams

Nov. 23rd: Last day for clubs to offer salary arbitration to Type-A or B free agents in order to receive draft pick compensation. Deadline is midnight ET.
Here are the reversed-engineered Elias rankings.

Dec. 7th: Last day for free agents to accept arbitration, if offered. Deadline is midnight ET.

Dec. 5th-8th: Winter meetings in Dallas.

Dec. 12th: Deadline to tender contracts to players with less than six years of service time. Our Arbitration Eligibles series will give you an idea of which players are non-tender candidates.

The 2011 season is over, and St. Louis wins themselves ANOTHER World Series in their long history. And earlier today, Tony La Russa officially retired.

Share your memories of the 2011 season. For me- it's the most God-forsaken terrible, bulls:censored: season for my Astros. Former Astros on much better teams and playing for much better teams while my (affectionally nicknamed "Lastros") only manage 56 wins and falling on their faces looking dumbfounded. It was bad when my NFL's Texans finished 2-14 one season, but this season for my Astros shows that something needs to f:censored:ing change and in a hurry to even getting me even remotely excited about any possible postseason hope.

In the AL, the Rangers and Yankees haven't failed to disappoint me. I'm going to stop making sports picks for a while because I'm on a losing streak. I had the Rangers winning it all. I thought Dallas/Fort Worth was the new sports hot spot if you go by the Mavericks winning the NBA title. Still, Rangers and Yankees will just reload and get after it again next season. I don't watch much AL baseball. Still, I respect teams like the Rays, the Indians, the Angels, and teams like those. Maybe the biggest disappointment was the Red Sox. Weren't the Red Sox like... double-digit games ahead in the AL East before they let they loosened up their grip on the division?

Share your good and bad memories of the 2011 season.

This was a disappointing season through and through. Our players were either injured, in Bochys Dog House or slumping. Everyone is thinking we need Beltran for next year but screw that. The dude is a scrub, the only time he hit was when we were well ahead. He chokes under the spotlight, is a whinny bitch that 'has' to play RF when he blows monkey chunks at it. Lacks any sort of heart or desire to play it seems. Its funny the Giants were on a roll and play well and were in 1st by quite a few games the second he came over everything went down hill and we went on a huge losing streak. Crap trade... we don't even get a draft pick out of it because Sabean is an idiot.

Huff better show up in shape this year and if he doesn't Bochy better do something about it other then stand there like the clueless retard he is. Posey and Sanchez will be back, Rowand is finally freaking gone. Belt was mishandled so badly it makes me cry. But this shot at the end of the season makes me happy. Also would love to see Pill get a shot at some serious playing time because this dude is legit. Schierholtz emerged but struggled with injuries but he will be the every day RFer which is awesome. Hes been mishandled for the last 4 years and the organization is JUST now see potential that us fans have seen for so long.

I want to shoot my self if Bochy and Sabean get a contract extension, but it will happen because our management got rid of the owner that actually does stuff.

Would like to note that the Giants started off the offseason making the very first moves which was resigning Lopez to a 2 year $8.5 million $ and exercising Affeldts 2012 option for $5 million. Makes me happy that we brought back two of the better left handed relievers in the game.

Just want to say goodbye and rest in peace to the original Marlins logo, one of the best in baseball in my opinion.

j2ulpedeq63pgd44glpkdtt7i.gif

Our beautiful logo and uniforms are being replaced by these monstrosities:

jAZHSUoa.jpg

We're now the Miami Orioles. This is a disgrace and an outrage. I'm boycotting the team. The whole package looks so amateur. It looks like every letter in Miami is different. This is what happens when an art dealer owns your team. The worst part is that whenever a player is on the field doing something, the first "I" tucks into the other half of the shirt, so that it looks like MAMI from every angle.

When I showed these to my boy Drogba:

didier-drogba-200x173.jpg

He confirmed IT WAS A DISGRACE.

I preferred the old logo better. No problem with "Miami Marlins," but those uniforms and logos are horrible. Of course, logos and colors mean nothing if the team still produces on the diamond. Their colors could have been baby blue and hot pink; at least they (and 28 other teams) did much better this past season than my Astros.

Looking forward to seeing their new ballpark, though.

Yep. It's official- Astros' final season in the National League is next season. We're going to the American League in 2013, and going from NL Central to AL West. So it will be two leagues with an even 15 teams. There's even the notion of two Wild Cards to play in a one-game playoff for postseason play.

Congratulations to the Cy Young winners from both the American and National Leagues.

Gaah, looks like they're really going ahead with that abomination, a second wildcard.

Although I'm happy for the Cards, I still fail to see why a team which could finish no better than second place in the regular season should be in the postseason.

They used to be the Marlins. Now they're the Mamis.

Florida fans can now call them "my Mamis".

I wonder if Al Jolson would have approved.

Back