• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 729 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
That moment- the pitcher steps on the mound, thinks about that first pitch. What will be thrown? A fastball? A changeup? A breaking ball? Then think about the person in the batting box, thinking base hit or home run with each swing. Ah... the game of baseball. The 162-game Odyssey begins for the 30 teams of Major League Baseball. Are you ready for the long grind from early April to late October (and maybe early November)? The new season is ready to take form in the long and storied history of baseball.

To all of you baseball fans... no matter which team(s) is/are your favorite, good luck to all of your teams. Oh, and one last thing...

PLAY BALL!

Can you believe that next Sunday will be the start of the 2016 season of Major League Baseball? If you love baseball, now is the time to get excited! It will soon be time for the epic grind from April to October (and maybe November) to commence.

When it comes to the 2016 season, I will be interested seeing my Houston Astros will fare this season. The Astros proven they were for real with their performance last season. They proven to make themselves a contender. We probably could have even won the AL West last season if we didn't stumble so much late last season. The biggest concern for my Astros this season is... can we do it again? Can we prove the 2015 season wasn't some sort of fluke? Can we remain consistent and play winning baseball? These are things I'll be looking at for this upcoming season.

Other than what I ponder about my Astros, good luck to all of your team(s) this season. Perhaps chime in on how you feel about your team(s) this season and what you're looking forward to this season.

It is hard to believe that openibg day is only a week away.

I hope one of my teams the Tigers or the Braves, can make some noise this year. But I'm not expecting it, I do think the Braves might surprise some people this year.

Oooooooooooooo, I've missed the game. I really hope the Yankees can pull their head from their collective assess and get into the postseason one again.

I don't know what to make out of spring training anymore... Last year the Mets had a mediocre ST and yet they made the WS -after the transfer moves of course-. This year, they are being HORRENDOUS. The starting pitching is still there and Matz seems to be solidifying the 4-fantastic pitching lineup hyped by the media.
Hitting wise we are still dormant and while Cespedes is back, it seems that the biggest stories so far are the cars he drives to training camp...

The Cubs on the other hand... seems to be the team to beat in the NL this year.

I don't the Cubs will be all that great. Sure, they have amassed a good team, but it's chemistry that wins champions IMHO. I don't think they have had enough time to make it yet.

True, but being the young team they are, they fared decently last year. The Mets swept them in the NLCS only because they were young and eager to swing at anything pretty much. Also, Murphy got inexplicably on fire and was hitting homers like nobody's business. Jake Arrieta was just not enough.

Then later KC showed us the real world :P

I'm kind of excited for the Cubs even if I'm not a fan. Maddox is a great coach and that's really what they need now. Plus, I don't wanna die and never see a WS title lifted at Wrigley! :scared:

Baseball is tough to predict. The parity and uncertainty makes things tough to speculate on. For example, it isn't a lock that a five-pitcher rotation where all starting pitchers average an ERA of 2.3 or less are guaranteed to be the best starting rotation in all of baseball for that season. Part of me wants to believe maybe the 2016 Chicago Cubs could be like my Astros from last season. Maybe the Cubbies could overachieve and make not only a playoff run, but a deep one.

No matter what teams want to think of themselves as contenders, you ain't nobody unless you can take down the defending champions- the Kansas City Royals. I'm sure even AL Central teams like the Chicago White Sox and the Detroit Tigers will be wanting to knock the Royals down a few pegs. As far as my Astros go, I'm concerned with the Texas Rangers and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim as far as divisional opponents go. I surely account for Oakland and (especially) Seattle. So I mentioned the AL Central and AL West. All that remains is the AL East. I think the matchup will be those birdies from Toronto and the Bronx Bombers. Toronto is plenty dangerous, and I'm sure the Yankees will play with fire after my Astros knocked out the Yanks 3-0 in the AL Wild Card game last season in their house. Of Boston, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay, I am kind of torn between Baltimore and Tampa Bay as that third-best contender, and maybe I go with Baltimore.

So there is my unofficial American League preview. Maybe I'll come around and make an unofficial National League preview.

Mets may miss the postseason this year. I will not be stunned if they do because the bullpen is noticeably bad if Spring Training is any indication. Barring a Nationals setback it will come down to the last series to determine the NL East winner.

I haven't even been paying attention to the Reds' spring training. All I know is 4 of our 5 starting rotation may be starting the season out on the DL. And those are the guys that filled in last year after all the trades went down, so they weren't even in the rotation for a good part of last year. The first week at least will be mostly backups that I've never heard of. Rasiel Iglesias will be the opening day starter, and we got Alfredo Simon back this season. He was stellar when we traded him away after the '14 season, but he wasn't expected to be a major factor in the rotation when he signed this year. Looks like that's going to change. With DeSclafani, Homer, Lamb and Moscot on the DL, it could be a rough start to the season.

On the hitting side...Votto will be Votto. I think Phillips will have a decent year, maybe not as good as last year, but decent. It looked like he was gone over the winter, but he nixed two trades. I'll say he's loyal to the ball club. He just isn't part of our future, and that could hurt us. Peraza is in the wings waiting. Cozart, if he's healthy and hits like he did at the start of last season before getting injured and not the 2014 Cozart, could be a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully Suarez will continue his hot hitting filling Frazier's spot at 3rd. The only thing that worries me about him is his defense. Bruce...a couple of trades fell through, so we're stuck with him for now. I like the guy. He is great defensively and can blast the ball out of the ballpark no problem. But he loves to strike out and his average suffers for it. He's just never become that elite player that many expected him to be. Way too inconsistent. Not sure what to make of center and left field. For all the speed he has, Hamilton can't hit his way out of a paper bag. I think I heard his on base percentage was something like .216 this preseason. And he's supposed to be our leadoff guy. Bryan Price wisened up and decided that Hamilton would instead hit out of the 9 hole on Opening Day. Left field will probably be a platoon...again. Schebler has been a pleasant surprise, and I wouldn't doubt he may take that job full time. But to start, it looks like a split between him and Duvall. Either way, once Winker makes his way up to the bigs, neither will be over there. By then the Hamilton experiment may be over and one could move to center. That leaves Mesoraco. I certainly hope his hip is good and he can stay healthy. He's shown he's got some power.

Overall, it ain't going to be an easy season to watch. Next year may be tough too. We're probably looking at 2018 before we really start competing again.

Hello, GTPlanet! The regular season begins tomorrow, but I will use this time to mention some key dates and some of the first series to be played.

--- Important Dates ---
Here are some key dates for this 2016 season (source: mlb.com)...
* April 3: Opening Day and Night
* April 4: Opening Day
* April 15: Jackie Robinson Day
* May 8: Mother's Day Events
* May 31: Roberto Clemente Day
* June 9-11, 2016 Major League Baseball Draft
* July 3: Fort Bragg Game (MIA Marlins vs. ATL Braves)
* July 12: All-Star Game (at Petco Park; San Diego, CA)
* July 24: Hall of Fame Induction Day
* August 1: Non-waiver Trade Deadline
* September 22-25: World Baseball Classic Qualifiers (in Brooklyn, NY)

--- Series ---
You can't win the World Series in April or in the first game or in the first series. However, you don't want to start sluggishly or feel like the season is already over. It's time to begin a new season of Major League Baseball starting with the very first series and games. Here are the first series for when the season begins in anger (italicized games begin on April 3):

* STL Cardinals at PIT Pirates
* TOR Blue Jays at TB Rays
* NYM Mets at KC Royals
* CHC Cubs at LAA Angels

* HOU Astros at NYY Yankees
* SF Giants at MIL Brewers
* MIN Twins at BAL Orioles
* BOS Red Sox at CLE Indians
* PHI Phillies at CIN Reds
* WAS Nationals at ATL Braves
* LA Dodgers at SD Padres
* COL Rockies at ARI Diamondbacks
* CHW White Sox at OAK Athletics

So are you ready for the new season? If not, get psyched by tomorrow because baseball is coming back!

The league's worst two teams from last year will face off in Cincy as Philly comes to town. This is our best chance for a series win.

--- Series ---
You can't win the World Series in April or in the first game or in the first series. However, you don't want to start sluggishly or feel like the season is already over.

Could not have said it better. Specially for the Mets. If they win the first games vs KC, then It will definitely give me some hope for the rest of the season. This is a HUGE test for NYM and an opportunity to either shut down the cinderella label from the previous playoffs or to solidify their capabilities as NL east contenders.

Play ball!

Ball. Strike. Full count. Foul ball. Walk. Base hit. Extra base hit. Desginated hitter. Pinch hit. Strikeout. Caught looking strikeout. HOME RUN! GRAND SLAM! 7th Inning Stretch. Double switch. Bullpen. Closer. Walk-Off. Extra innings.

GTPlanet, baseball is back! The games that matter begin today and tonight. The 160+ game grind towards playing in October begins with the first series of the season. It's time to begin a new season as the Boys of Summer are all dressed up and ready to go.

A few notes on a few of the first series of the season... for the first game of the HOU at NYY series to be played tomorrow, it will be the pitching matchup of Dallas Keuchel (HOU) vs. Masahiro Tanaka (NYY). The probables for the first game of PHI at CIN will be Jeremy Hellickson (PHI) vs. Raisel Iglesias (CIN). Funny enough, I learned Hellickson is nicknamed "Hellboy." Anyhow... the 2016 season will begin in anger starting today.

Good luck to all of your team(s) this season. PLAY BALL!

2015 Pirates 98-64 dominated the rest of baseball (64-22) but did not have a winning record vs division rivals (34-42). This year the loss of 43HR between Alvarez and Walker will hurt but their .323 OBP, 241K's, and -15 DRS wont be missed. Moving Harrison to his natural position of 2B where he is a + defender and adding John Jaso at 1B who has been very good at 1B in the spring and a career .361 OBP will be a huge upgrade at 1B. Those 2 moves should be worth 2-3 wins and will help cut down on extra work by the pitchers having to pitch out of jams created by shaky defense.

The rotation is in a transitional year with A.J. Burnett now retired and the addition of Niese, Nicasio, and Vogelsong as the long man. Nicasio is the latest reclamation project for Ray Searage who will try and fix his control issues. Liriano and Cole are a strong 1-2 and the rest will either be above avg or a mess if Nicasio still stinks and Locke has not improved his control. There are 2 stud pitchers at AAA (Glasnow/Taillon) who will likely be in the rotation next year.

The back end of the bullpen is set with Melancon and Watson but there a few question marks with guys with repaired arms like Feliz and Luebke.

The bench is strong with the addition of David Freese who will start at 3B until Kang is healthy and Matt Joyce will be a LH bat off of the bench.

The talking heads have all picked the Cubs to win the division and the Bucs to likely finish 3rd but I'm not buying that.

NL Central
Pit- 100-62
Stl- 92-70
Chi- 89-73
Mil/Cin 68-70 wins

The Houston Astros began the 2016 season with... a win! The season would have started on Monday, but it was postponed due to bad weather. It was 5-3 in the Bronx as the Astros took down the New York Yankees. Dallas Keuchel was the HOU winner and got a Save from Luke Gregerson. Masahiro Tanaka was the loser for NYY.

Congratulations to all other winners from today. How have your team(s) started the season so far?

[UPDATE] Dellin Betances was the loser for NYY, not Masahiro Tanaka. Changes made.

Last edited:
The Houston Astros began the 2016 season with... a win! The season would have started on Monday, but it was postponed due to bad weather. It was 5-3 in the Bronx as the Astros took down the New York Yankees. Dallas Keuchel was the HOU winner and got a Save from Luke Gregerson. Masahiro Tanaka was the loser for NYY.

Grumble. Good job. Grumble.

I edited my previous post. It was D. Betances who lost for NYY. Only other game to go Final as of this post was Boston at Cleveland. Boston won today 6-2. It was a win for David Price for the Boston Red Sox, and losing for the Cleveland Indians was Corey Kluber.

It is currently 2-0, New York Mets over the Kansas City Royals with the game played in Kansas City. Middle of the 6th inning as of this post for that game.

Mets indeed win 2-0 and split the 2 game series. 4 Mets pitchers combined on a 3 hitter (Syndergaard, Henderson, Reed, Familia) and recorded 12(!) strikeouts on the usually not K'ing Royals line up.

The Reds looked like the same old Reds for 7 innings yesterday. The offense scores a run early, the pitcher gives up 2, and we can't do jack the rest of the game. I seriously thought it was going to be another one of those 2-1 losses. But for whatever reason, the Reds went nuts in the 8th scoring 5 runs and won it 6-2. We might see the good Cozart from last year as I believe he went 3-4 with a sac fly. Going into the 8th, the team had all of three hits...all by Cozart.

I can't say that I'm all to happy with the Yankees dropping the home opener to the Astros. I wanted to see some fire. They didn't seem to play any of it from my standpoint.

There was an entertaining game in Miami. The Miami Marlins were about to be fish dinner to the Detroit Tigers, but the Marlins hung a bunch of runs especially in the 9th inning to tie the game at 7-7. Detroit still managed to win in 11 innings. Giancarlo Stanton was... Giancarlo Stanton. You hang 'em, he bangs 'em... hard. But like I said, Miami didn't have enough to take down the Tigers. It was a win for Drew VerHagen and a Save for Shane Greene. Losing for Miami was Craig Breslow.

When I stopped watching, it was 5-3 Detroit and Verlander was on the mound. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the terrible bullpen reared its head for the umpteenth time. That's the one thing that has screwed the Tigers for years, and it already may be a problem this year as well.

Rangers got spanked 10-2 yesterday. It was 2-2 at the top of the 5th when I decided to stop watching. I'm rather glad I did.

@JohnBM01 will enjoy this part as Carlos Correa has mashed 2 HR tonight. Sadly both have been solo shots as the Astros still trail.

Back