Major League Baseball: 2016 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 729 comments
VZ1SI6I.png

I'm glad Chapman didn't win the MVP, he's a great baseball player but he's a terrible human being. Zobrist, while being a good, but not great, baseball player, seems like a pretty decent dude. I know the award is supposed to only focus on on-field performance but I just would have been irked if Chapman would have won it.

Michael J Fox: Off by a year, not bad. You may remember that Back to the Future II predicted a Cubbies sweep in the 2015 World Series. Here is how the writer of the film came up with the prediction:

Bob Gale
ā€œIā€™m from St. Louis originally. Iā€™m a big baseball fan. You grow up in St. Louis, you automatically become a Cardinals fan. And of course I always followed the Cubs because how could you not? With the Cubs folklore of being the lovable losers that never get there, it was just a natural joke to say, ā€˜What is the most absurd thing that you could come up with?ā€™ā€

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/03/michael-j-fox-congratulates-cubs-back-to-the-future-part-ii

I'm glad Chapman didn't win the MVP, he's a great baseball player but he's a terrible human being. Zobrist, while being a good, but not great, baseball player, seems like a pretty decent dude. I know the award is supposed to only focus on on-field performance but I just would have been irked if Chapman would have won it.
If he didn't blow the save in the last game, then he would have won the MVP, like it or not.

It's amazing all these stories coming out. This is the stuff of legends. I don't know how anyone can watch some of these things without getting somewhat emotional.

I also thought it was pretty cool all the people writing on the walls of Wrigley Field the names of loved ones who weren't there to witness the win. Even though I'm no baseball fan, I just can't help but feel privileged to be able to watch history unfold, albeit on the TV.

Party like it's 1908? I've been seeing all of the different video pieces of the Chicago Cubs celebrating their World Series championship. What I take away from all of this is a number of factors: (1) fans still believing in a team that has had so much futility, (2) the team itself working hard enough to championship-winning play, and (3) being lucky and/or good to finally emerge. It seems like the same old song and dance to keep failing consistently. However, there is a reason why people still keep doing things even when it seems a desired result won't seem to happen. As an example, it wasn't until earlier this year I made my first true 3D model after having tried for almost 20 years trying to make a proper 3D model. Likewise, I am working to try to make my first game or my first application.

That's why I said the 2016 Chicago Cubs offer life lessons of trying to never stop working towards being great even when it seems like you realistically will keep failing. ANY team/athlete in ANY sport can win and become champion. It's like why I hate how it seems like Houston teams can't win championships. Then too, look at the Houston Rockets in the mid-1990s. Look at the first two years of the Houston Dynamo in MLS. Even if it seems like you can't realistically win, there is no shield or cap on any team or athlete to become champions. You WILL emerge regardless as long as you keep believing in yourself and keep playing hard enough. And not all the time, things work out. You still keep trying because that glorious day of championship glory will come.

Having said that, I am proud of the Chicago Cubs. I'm not just saying that because they used to be division foes when my Astros were in the NL Central, but I'm just proud for the Cubbies on a job well done. I am more "I'll believe it when I see it" on the prediction of my Astros winning the 2017 championship as predicted by Sports Illustrated.

Regardless... 30 teams with the same dream. Ten of the 30 succeeded being the best of them all. Ten became eight, eight became four, four became two, and one of those two became champion. One team became champion while the other 29 failed. The Cubs know they are the team to beat, so check your rear view mirrors. Now begins the off-season and looking ahead to Spring Training 2017. We're all undefeated again!

According to reports the Braves have signed Bartolo Colon to a 1 year-$12.5 million contract.

Latest Posts

Back