Major League Baseball: 2018 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 247 comments
You think Cleveland can clinch the division in August?
It's possible. I think that they could, but I don't think it will be until either mid August or in September assuming someone manages to not be ungodly terrible. They are by far the best team in the division at this time.
Detroit is rebuilding, the Twins have been inconsistent, the White Sox have been rather awful, and KC at this moment has imploded. The only team I think that could rival them based on past history is KC if (and I mean if) they can manage to turn it around and turn it around fast. If not, I won't be shocked if the Indians are the only team in the AL Central that is above .500 come September.

Mets season has officially ended as Jacob DeGrom hyperextends his right elbow. He will be out a minimum of two months and this team has no pitching.

Mets season has officially ended as Jacob DeGrom hyperextends his right elbow. He will be out a minimum of two months and this team has no pitching.
Well, they'll get at least 3 more wins next Monday through Wednesday.

I want to wish Jacob DeGrom a speedy recovery. He's pretty good, so I'm sure the Mets' pitching rotation is going to take quite a hit.

Meanwhile... damn Yankees. My Astros forgot how to score or how to be competitive. The team we beat in last season's ALCS is up 2-1 in our four-game set. Back-to-back 4-0 losses to the Yanks. I'll let you know in my next series summary if we somehow split this series with tomorrow afternoon's game.

Congratulations to today's winners and who all who won recent series today.

Well, they'll get at least 3 more wins next Monday through Wednesday.
They have sp sacrifice Jason Vargas who has given up 14 runs in 8 innings this year and a completely washed up Matt Harvey who is proving that he's a waste of a roster spot. They also can't reliably hit and have been outscored by Atlanta 21-2 in their series. The management doesn't care unless it brings in money and aside from the Marlins, are the most disgraceful ownership in baseball.

It's a rematch of the 2017 American League Championship Series between the Houston Astros and the New York Yankees. How did this one go? Summary:

GM1 NYY at HOU: (2-1; Houston)
GM2 NYY at HOU: (4-0; New York Yankees)
GM3 NYY at HOU: (4-0; New York Yankees)
GM4 NYY at HOU: (6-5; New York Yankees)

Damn Yankees. This was a pretty pathetic series for the Astros. Maybe the Yanks came to Houston seeking a modicum of revenge from the 2017 ALCS. Well, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED by the Bronx Bombers. The home stand ends up being a 4-6 home stand. Game 2 was where the Yankees decided to play winning baseball in the 9th Inning while all the Astros can do is... well, nothing. We went 28 straight innings without scoring until things got haywire in the 7th inning of today's game. We took the lead at 4-3 in Game 4. Then a Correa homer took us to 5-3. Afterwards, the Yanks went up 6-5 and never looked back. Sad enough, there was a brief highlight package showing a little child crying as the Astros lost today. The New York Yankees took this series 3 out of 4. Great shame.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... don't try this at home, kids- we're going into the desert to play with some Diamondbacks. Interleague Play for the Astros! We're going to Chase Field to take on an improving Arizona Diamondbacks squad for a three-game weekend series in Phoenix. After that is a three-game set at the Oakland Athletics. But first- my Astros at R1600Turbo's Diamondbacks.

Can't win 'em all. Still- congratulations to all other winners from today as well as recent series winners.

Mets asked P Matt Harvey to go to the Minors. Matt said no. Mets will DFA Matt on Saturday May 5th barring a change of heart.

Mets asked P Matt Harvey to go to the Minors. Matt said no. Mets will DFA Matt on Saturday May 5th barring a change of heart.
Any change of heart with him will be too late for the Mets. He'll soon find out he needs to swallow his ego and take a minor league offer because that's where he belongs right now.

He will probably get sent to the minors by any team that picks him up should he be traded or released. He might as well just accept that because nobody would willingly let him pitch in the majors with how bad he has been lately.

3000 Hit Club, please allow Mr. Albert Pujols in. That's right- the 32nd "Mr. 3000" in Major League Baseball history knocked down 3K in Seattle last night (or at least it's past Midnight here in Central Time). It was a single in the Top of the 5th.

The news from Los Angeles doesn't stop there. In fact, the other L.A. team- the Los Angeles Dodgers, completed a combined No Hitter against the San Diego Padres. The Dodgers and Padres are playing this series in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. It is the 12th ever combined No Hitter in Major League Baseball history, and it is also the first-ever combined No Hitter in Dodgers history.

Congratulations to all winners from Friday's games.

[UPDATE] Mistakenly mentioned the Pirates when I meant the Padres. Changes made.

Last edited:
Interleague play in Phoenix is done for. Latest summary:

GM1 HOU at ARI: (8-0; Houston)
GM2 HOU at ARI: (4-3; Arizona)
GM3 HOU at ARI: (3-1; Arizona)

We lose another series. The biggest highlight of this series was Gerrit Cole pitching eight innings of shutout baseball and striking out 16 Diamondbacks. Astros, from there, couldn't do too much since. José Altuve did assert himself on his birthday today, but it wasn't enough to lift the Astros past a MUCH improved Diamondbacks squad. I know I don't have the Astros going back-to-back champions, but the Astros got to try to have that fire that led them to being so beast. Again- my story this season I am following is on the Astros under pressure to play like champions after last year's title triumph.

Up next for the Houston Astros... more important business- at the Oaland Athletics for a three game set starting Monday night.

Congratulations to all other winners of games and series. Hopefully your team(s) is/are among the winners of games today or recent series.

Well that was an interesting development. The Reds and Mets made a trade involving Harvey for Mesoraco and cash. And it happened in the middle of a series between the two teams. I know the Mets need a catcher, but wow. And the Reds need some pitching, but wow. Neither player has been particularly good the past couple of seasons.

Anyway, the Reds decided to win a game for once, knocking off those Mets 7-2 tonight.

...and meanwhile in Seattle, James Paxton throws the sixth no-hitter in Mariners history. When I read on Twitter, I read Paxton was the first Canadian pitcher in MLB history to throw a no-hitter in Canada. I'm sure our Barra333 was upset seeing his Blue Jays get no-hit. So allow me to offer my congratulations to James Paxton on the no-no.

As for the deal between the Mets and Reds, I guess time will tell if either or both teams got a good deal out of this. Mets do need some help. Enjoy the rest of this inner-forum rivalry of yours, Blitz24 and Dolph Drago! :)

My Houston Astros are still playing. As of this post, it's the Middle of the 8th inning as it is 4-2, Astros. The Astros had a brutal 16-2 beatdown of Oakland with 20 hits last night. I think also last night that one of the Astros collected six hits last night- something that has never been done in an Astros game until last night.

Congratulations to all winners from tonight, including eventual game winners.

[UPDATE] Final score in Oakland: 4-2; Houston.

Last edited:
...and meanwhile in Seattle, James Paxton throws the sixth no-hitter in Mariners history. When I read on Twitter, I read Paxton was the first Canadian pitcher in MLB history to throw a no-hitter in Canada. I'm sure our Barra333 was upset seeing his Blue Jays get no-hit. So allow me to offer my congratulations to James Paxton on the no-no.
I only saw the last three innings, but the way he pitched, he could have no hit the Jays through 12. The only threat was a hard hit ground ball finding a hole (or creeping past 3B, which almost happened). I guess if your team is going to be no-hit having it done by a Canadian is probably better. And his friends in BC got to see it - Seattle games are only routinely aired there when they play the Jays.
Oh well, still only counts as one loss, moving on...

The Houston Astros will visit the Bay Area four times this season, I heard. Most of them will be against the Oakland Athletics. We will, though be at the much more beautiful AT&T Park to meet the San Francisco Giants in a National League reunion later this month. But for now, here's how the Astros did at the A's...

GM1 HOU at OAK: (12-2; Houston)
GM2 HOU at OAK: (4-2; Houston)
GM3 HOU at OAK: (4-1; Houston)

So our road trip ends up a 4-2 effort. Lost the series at Arizona and swept the Oakland Athletics in their house. We are now 24-15 on the season and 0.5 games ahead of 2nd place Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the AL West.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... after taking Thursday off, it's Lone Star pride on the line as the Texas Rangers come on down to H-Town for a three-game weekend series.

Elsewhere... here are some games that went final as of the time of this post...

* The other Texas team did good today in Overtime. This doing good, was to the shegrin of Joey D and AnthonyD1993's Detroit Tigers, a 5-4 victory in 10 innings in Arlington, Texas. Keone Kela was the winner for TEX. Detroit's losing pitcher was Warwich Saupold.

* The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim grounded the Colorado Rockies 8-0 in Denver. Jaime Barria was the winner for LAA, and it was Tyler Anderson who took the loss for COL.

* Nine innings didn't solve anything in Cincinnati. It took ten innings for Dolph Drago's Reds to sink Blitz24's New York Mets 2-1. Back-to-back wins for the Redlegs! Raisel Iglesias picked up the win for CIN while the Mets' loser was A.J. Ramos.

* Staying in the Midwest, the Cleveland Indians defeated the Milwaukee Brewers 6-2. Carlos Carrasco was the winner for CLE. Losing for the Brew Crew was Junior Guerra.

* The north side of Chicago saw the Chicago Cubs whack Omnis' Miami Marlins 13-4. José Quintana was the winning Cubs pitcher while Wei-Yin Chen took the loss for MIA.

* What about Chicago's SOUTH side team? Well, they failed. The Pittsburgh Pirates took down the Chicago White Sox 6-5. It was a win for Richard Rodriguez for PIT, and he got a Save from Felipe Vasquez. For CHW, Nate Jones was the losing pitcher.

Congratulations to all other winners from today's games as well as recent series winners.

I can't believe how utterly trash the AL Central is this year. I knew the Tigers were going to be bad, but they're only 3 games out of first place. Also, it's like the Royals and White Sox are in a race to see who can be the worst possible team in the division...errr scratch that, the worst possible team in the entire AL.

Well, I doubt the AL Central will all be eligible to be relegated to Triple-A Minor League. At present, Cleveland is at .500 with an 18-18 record. Rest of the way so far... Minnesota is 15-18, Detroit is 14-21, Kansas City is 12-25, and the Chicago White Sox are 9-26 (worst record in MLB so far this season). If you follow the National Football League, I think it was a few years ago that the NFC South had EVERY team with losing records. Some divisions/leagues are just brutal or have brutal seasons. That's probably the case right now with the AL Central. Still Summer and early Fall/Autumn left to see if things get better for that division.

I can only hope that the AL Central finishes with every team below .500. It'd make it even better if the Tigers get a little hot towards the end and pull out a first-place finish making the playoffs. I mean they'd get slaughtered, but still it'd be something to say the worst Tiger's team in more than a decade made the playoffs.

I'm so confused. The Reds have won 5 in a row. Not only that, but they've taken the first 3 from the Dodgers in their 4 game series. The Reds have always been terrible playing on the west coast, even when they've been good. They've actually been pitching well. I guess that's the difference.

I'm so confused. The Reds have won 5 in a row. Not only that, but they've taken the first 3 from the Dodgers in their 4 game series. The Reds have always been terrible playing on the west coast, even when they've been good. They've actually been pitching well. I guess that's the difference.

I'm not saying it's Matt Harvey...but it's Matt Harvey.

"I'm gonna knock you out! Momma said knock you out!" Well now that it's Mother's Day, let's see if we did our mommas proud when the Texas Rangers came to H-Town...

GM1 TEX at HOU: (1-0; Texas)
GM2 TEX at HOU: (6-1; Houston)
GM3 TEX at HOU: (6-1; Houston)

So the Astros wrapped up this quick three-game home series by defeating the boys from up north. Both Houston and Texas will head on the road and against West Coast teams.

Up next for the Houston Astros... we had to deal with one California AL team. Now, we deal with the other AL California team. A pivotal series awaits us- a three-game set at the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Astros and Angels.

Elsewhere, musings and scores...

* The Texas Rangers will be at the Seattle Mariners for their next series. However, Seattle will be without Robinson Cano, who suffered a hand injury.

* Today was a good day... for Baltimore Orioles fans. The O's whacked Tampa Bay 17-1 today. Dylan Bundy picked up the win for BAL while Blake Snell lost for Tampa Bay. By the way, I heard there is a possibility that Tampa Bay may want a new stadium or relocate. I heard this on ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" last week.

* Red SAUWX. Blue JAAAAYS. It was Boston who won 5-3 today. Hector Velazquez was BOS' winner along with a Save from Joe Kelly. Joe Kelly was a winner, but Joe Biagini for TOR was the loser today.

* The Astros' next home opponent will be Cleveland. And today, the Cleveland Indians did good at home against the Kansas City Royals. An 11-2 thrashing was doled out by the Indians. Corey Kluber picked up the win for CLE. Danny Duffy picked up the loss for KC.

* On to MoTown and those cool cats that play baseball. Detroit took down Seattle 5-4. It was a win for Shane Greene of Detroit. Juan Nicasio took the loss for Seattle.

* It was 4-3 in Miami as the Atlanta Braves had themselves a Miami Marlins fish dinner. For Atlanta, the win went to Sean Newcomb and a Save from Arodys Vizcaino. José Ureña lost for Miami.

* Two teams with two of the most beautiful ballparks in Major League Baseball clashed in Pittsburgh. The San Francisco Giants defeated Pittsburgh 5-0. It was Derek Holland who won for the Giants, and it was Ivan Nova who lost for Pittsburgh.

* Chi-Town showdown on the north side of Chicago. The White Sox have been pretty sorry, but they made amends by defeating the Chicago Cubs 5-3. The Chicago south-siders saw Lucas Giolito win with a Save from Bruce Rondon. The Chicago north-siders saw Kyle Hendricks take the loss.

* As for the Cincinnati Reds' winning streak, all I can say is... keep the good times rolling! Be like the Astros- never settle.

Congratulations to all other winners today and of series winners.

I'm beyond confused now, I'm flat out flabbergasted. The Reds swept the Dodgers in a 4 games series in LA for the first time since 1976 (which was a good year for the Reds :)). In a year they've been absolutely horrendous.

Diamondbacks are on a 6 game skid. Several players need to figure out what their deal is stat. I guess it's a good thing we started the season hot, because it gave us enough of a lead that we don't end up way behind from this dud we're in.

The NL West is usually pretty close each season. Like, nobody really dominates regularly, yet nobody really loses regularly. I hear more of the Los Angeles Dodgers (defending National League Champions) being in a funk more than the Arizona Diamondback being in one themselves. I kind of expect this will continue for the NL West. I do like Arizona, though; and I'm not just saying that because my Astros lost a series against Arizona earlier this month.

No matter who is up or who is down, there is still a lot of baseball to be played. We can start applying pressure once it becomes August. So keep playing hard and validate yourselves as true contenders.

The Astros and Angels hooked up again. This time, in Anaheim. Here is a series summary...

GM1 HOU at LAA: (2-1; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
GM2 HOU at LAA: (5-3; Houston)
GM3 HOU at LAA: (2-0; Houston)

So after the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim came to Houston and won a series against us, we returned the favor by taking down the Angels in their house. This will be a hotly contested series to determine who will rule the AL West this season. I appreciated when the bottom fell out for the Halos in Game 2 for us to get ahead and stay ahead. The two-run jack by Houston in Game 3 was great, but it was made even better with Justin Verlander notching a complete game shutout for the Astros.

We are now 28-17 on the season and atop the AL West. According to Yahoo! Sports, the Houston Astros are 11th in batting average (.252), 6th in runs (210), and 1st in runs (2.44) and WHIP (0.97).

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... it's a day off on Thursday, but we're hosting the AL Central leading Cleveland Indians for a three-game weekend series. The Astros will get another day off on Monday after this series.

As mentioned, the Astros are off today. So how is/are your favorite team(s) doing so far?

AL West-leading Houston Astros. AL Central leading Cleveland Indians. Who came out on top in this past weekend's series? Here you go:

GM1 CLE at HOU: (4-1; Houston)
GM2 CLE at HOU: (5-4; Cleveland)
GM3 CLE at HOU: (3-1; Houston)

We were down for most of the game on Saturday yet tried to mount a comeback. The Sunday game could have been a 3-0 victory, but we basically gave up a run late in the 9th inning so we didn't blank the Indians in the Rubber Game. We still lead the AL West and are now 30-18 heading into our next series. Cleveland still leads the AL Central, but all five teams in the AL Central now have records below the .500 mark.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... we're at home for a quick two-game Interleague series with the San Francisco Giants. Then, we're on the road for seven games in two cities (4 at Cleveland and 3 at the New York Yankees).

I meant to get this out earlier, but couldn't So I apologize. Enjoy the new series. Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Back