Major League Baseball: 2018 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 247 comments
I must be getting old. I made those changes again. More apologies.

Meanwhile, looks like we got a Yankees vs. Red Sox ALDS round after tonight's 7-2 victory by NYY.

I must be getting old. I made those changes again. More apologies.

Meanwhile, looks like we got a Yankees vs. Red Sox ALDS round after tonight's 7-2 victory by NYY.

I just wish you were right, still need two more wins tho

*** cue WipEout ***

CONTENDER ELIMINATED!

So who's joining Oakland and the Chicago Cubs as eliminated postseason teams? It is...

...the Cleveland Indians. Wrapping up back on Monday, the Houston Astros swept the Cleveland Indians. Here's the summary:

GM1 CLE at HOU: (7-2; Houston)
GM2 CLE at HOU: (3-1; Houston)
GM3 HOU at CLE: (11-2; Houston)

So our opponent in the ALCS will be a 100+ win team. But will it be the Boston Red Sox or the New York Yankees? Both teams scare me to be honest. I know Boston has had the best record in all of baseball this season, but I also respect the Yankees. Both the Red Sox and Yankees have intense home field advantage. It will be... the Boston Red Sox.

Boston did a number on the Yanks in their house with a 16-1 smack down on Monday. This series scares me because Boston has been absolutely baller this season with a lot more wins than my Astros. It will be a fierce series. I can breathe easier if the Astros can take down the Boston Red Sox.

Elsewhere...

...on the NL side, the Milwaukee Brewers swept the Colorado Rockies, and the Los Angeles Dodgers took down the Atlanta Braves. So your 2018 NLCS will be the Milwaukee Brewers vs. the defending NL champion Los Angeles Dodgers.

The 2018 NLCS begins on Friday in Milwaukee, and the ALCS begins on Saturday in Boston. And then there were four...

Four teams left. With this now being Championship Series action, it is a best-of-7 to determine who will play in the 2018 World Series. Four teams will be whittled down to just two to play for the Commissioner's Trophy in the World Series. The AL will see the defending champion Houston Astros against the Boston Red Sox. This is the first time two 100+ win teams make up the ALCS since 1977. The National League will see the 2017 World Series runners-up and defending NL champion Los Angeles Dodgers collide with the Milwaukee Brewers.

The NLCS begins tonight in Milwaukee, and the ALCS will begin tomorrow night in Boston. Two teams will be one step away from playing for Major League Baseball's highest honor.

Enjoy the ALCS and NLCS!

Pen coming thru on offense, Woodruff broke Kershaw.

Clayton is done for the night, good job so far for the Crew

Last edited:
Arcia goes deep, Miley gets his second hit, Cain moves him to third with a double. The threat is on.

Dodgers ended up coming back, why pitch anything that’s not high to Turner?

Last edited:
MIL Brewers: "We got dis heer! 3-0!"
LAD Dodgers: "Oh, yeah? Well, what's happening, homie?"

And, uh... yeah. 4-3 victory by the Dodgers to even the 2018 NLCS at 1-1 after Game 2. The series now is going to Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

Meanwhile in Boston and in the ALCS... the game was mostly close with HOU drawing first blood for Game 1. Late in the game, they just offered some haymakers to close out. 7-2, Houston, was the final score for Game 1 of the 2018 ALCS. This is going to be a fierce series. Too early to declare a winner at this point.

Not entirely sure how that was an error on Machado. I feel like scorers expect infielders to get everything within their postcode, but if outfielders drop a ball after taking more than two steps they get a pass.

7-2, Houston in Game 1; 7-5, Boston in Game 2. The format is 2-3-2. So the best the Astros can hope for is that they can take all three games to avoid having to go to return to Boston to try to win the ALCS. Or at worst... Boston takes all three in Houston. I mean, Boston still scares me. This is not the Red Sox were defeated kindly in last year's ALDS. This is a fire-breathing Red Sox teams that won five more regular season games than my Astros (BOS = 108, HOU = 103). Game 3 of the 2018 ALCS begins tomorrow night.

On the NLCS side, I'm becoming sold on Milwaukee. If the Astros return to the World Series, HOU/MIL would be pretty intense. I still wouldn't count out the Los Angeles Dodgers trying to return to the World Series.

Both Championship Series should be fun and intense regardless of who makes the 2018 World Series.

On the NLCS side, I'm becoming sold on Milwaukee. If the Astros return to the World Series, HOU/MIL would be pretty intense.
When was the last time two former division rivals faced each other in the World Series?

Interesting, though I wish it was a certain red team from the NL Central instead...:P

I never saw back-to-back titles happening for my Houston Astros anyways, though I want it to happen. And at this point, it may as well be Boston Red Sox vs. Los Angeles Dodgers for the 2018 World Series unless divine intervention happens for Houston and Milwaukee at this point. Or unless the Red Sox and the Dodgers get bored and let themselves lose, or if BOS and LAD determine they scored enough runs to advance to the World Series.

That's all for this post. I wished I had better news to share about my beloved MLB team.

Unless miracles happen (note the "s" on "miracle"), we're guaranteed to have a new champion if the Houston Astros fail to extend the 2018 ALCS. On the NLCS side, Milwaukee is going to need to produce miracles of their own starting on Friday if they want to prevent the Los Angeles Dodgers from reaching the 2018 World Series. Crunch time and pressure. The struggle is real.

This is why we needed to win the 1st two, now we have to force a game 7. I think it’ll happen, but not without a cold Yelich

...and meanwhile, my Houston Astros are officially done. I feared the Red Sox would overwhelm my Astros, and I was right. But again- I didn't see back-to-back titles happening for the Astros even though the 2018 Astros have been much better than the 2017 Astros that won it all. The final score ended up being 4-1, Boston Red Sox. Boston takes the 2018 ALCS in five games. Dodgers or Brewers... get ready. You're in for a fight against the Red Sox in the World Series.

So congratulations to the eventual World Series champions. And most of all, congratulations to my Houston Astros on a great 2018 season. Not great enough to be Champs again, though.

We're going to have a Red Sox vs. Dodgers 2018 World Series unless Milwaukee can force (and win) Game 7. I stopped caring about the season once my Astros were eliminated last night, but life- and this season- goes on. The Los Angeles Dodgers can return to the World Series, or Milwaukee can play for their chance to win it all.

I think Astros fans here have basically acknowledged the Red Sox as a much better team and that this team can win it all again within the next 3-5 years. For once, I actually believed in this Astros team. I didn't follow too much because I felt like I'd jinx them. José Altuve perhaps said it best after the Astros lost four straight to be eliminated- "sad, but not disappointed." Also, forget about the Gallery Furniture promotion here of "Win it All, Get it All." Just like last year, if the Astros won the World Series, people who bought furniture from them at $3K USD or more could have all of their furniture for free. I feared Boston all along despite the great season we were having. I even feared the Los Angeles Dodgers last year since they had the better overall record than the Astros last season. All the sadness and crying isn't going to bring the Astros to the 2018 World Series, so all we can do is basically look forward to Spring Training 2019 and try again.

Boston vs. Los Angeles Dodgers, or Boston vs. Milwaukee? We'll see this weekend what will be the 2018 World Series.

Good start, but I still can’t get past the fact the Freese led off the game with a dinger, a flashback of game 6 in the 2011 NLCS

Just seconds after the commentators finished saying how long it had been since the dodgers had homered and how long since Miley had given one up.

A blowout win last night was the only hope Milwaukee had of winning the series. A close win would have seen them use up Hader and one or two of their top relievers, leaving the cupboard bare (or fatigued) tonight.

Ladies and gentlmen, we got our 2018 World Series! Sadly, it doesn't involve the Houston Astros- MY Houston Astros. So this is your 2018 World Series...

Boston Red Sox vs. Los Angeles Dodgers

So the Dodgers return to the World Series on the NL side while the Astros do not on the AL side. The Dodgers are playing for the championship again by virtue of their 5-1 crushing of the Milwaukee Brewers tonight in Milwaukee. The Brew Crew couldn't parlay forcing Game 7 into a trip to the World Series. More than likely, home field goes to the Red Sox for winning 108 regular season games. It was the Dodgers last season who had home field for their many wins. Either way, the Commissioner's Trophy and bragging rights up until the start of next season are on the line. Who will hoist the trophy this season? It will either be Boston or the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Okay, GTPlanet... tell it- who wins the 2018 World Series and (optional) in how many games?

30 teams all had aspirations of playing in the World Series. The defending champions were looking to defend their title against the other 29 teams. We now reached the point where two teams ultimately want to be- the World Series. Sadly, the Houston Astros (my Astros) were taken out by the Boston Red Sox in the ALCS. Los Angeles Dodgers, meanwhile, return to the World Series after taking down the Milwaukee Brewers in an NLCS that went the seven-game distance. Now, only four wins are needed for either the Red Sox or the Dodgers to become World Series champions and gain bragging rights up until Spring Training next year.

Game 1 of the 2018 World Series between Boston and the Los Angeles Dodgers is tonight in Boston.

One last chance to tell it, GTPlanet- who wins the World Series and (optional) in how many games? Good luck to both the Red Sox and Dodgers, and congratulations to the eventual 2018 World Series champions.

So, about the last two nights...

GM1 LAD at BOS: (8-4; Boston)
GM2 LAD at BOS: (4-2; Boston)

There were points I almost typed "Houston" instead of "Boston." But of course, BOS made it by smacking HOU. Game 3 of the 2018 World Series is tomorrow night in Rancho Cucamonga. This city saw the Commissioner's Trophy last year, but it was another team that won that trophy. The Los Angeles Dodgers better string together some wins if they want to have any hope of winning it all this season.

Eovaldi put on a clinic despite being the losing pitcher. If Boston wins it all, that game should seriously make him a candidate for World Series MVP.

Back