Major League Baseball: 2022 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 197 comments
Friday night saw the first no-hitter of 2022 as the New York Mets had 5 pitchers combine to blank the Philadelphia Phillies.

For the first time since the outbreak of COVID-19/Coronavirus, the Houston Astros will play at the Toronto Blue Jays in Toronto. Previously, the Astros and Blue Jays met in Buffalo, NY, USA while the pandemic raged on. The Blue Jays won the last series between these two. How will this one play out in beautiful Toronto, Ontario, Canada? Let's find out...

* HOU Astros at TOR Blue Jays - 3-game series

[GAME 1] Game 1 was nuts! Offense aplenty by both teams. I saw the Astros led 1-0 early after a solo homer. Then later, Toronto tied things up at one. I turned away, and later heading into the Bottom of the 7th, Astros led 10-5. The game ended with an 11-7 victory for the Astros.

[GAME 2] I didn't get to follow this day game as it was played. Every score was a solo home run. Unfortunately for Houston, their four-game winning streak was snapped as Toronto put more runs on the board than the Astros. This ended up being a 2-1 win for Toronto. Rubber Game tomorrow decides the series.

[GAME 3] There was no scoring through five innings, and Framber Valdez did not allow a hit through about six innings. The Astros scored first on an RBI by Aledmys Diaz. The Blue Jays responded with a two-run jack by Bo Bischette(?). Astros would tie the game at 2-2, but an extra Toronto run later sealed the Astros' fate. Toronto takes this series with a 3-2 victory today. Toronto now won their ninth game decided by one run, and they are now (I believe 9-2) in 1-run games so far this season.

GM1: (11-7; Houston)
GM2: (2-1; Toronto)
GM3: (3-2; Toronto)

NEXT: vs. Seattle (3 games), starting on Monday

The Houston Astros are now 11-11 on the 2022 season, still 3rd in the AL West. The revenge bid fell short against the hot Blue Jays. Toronto, meanwhile, improves to 15-8 and 2nd in the AL East.

Congratulations to all other series winners! Congratulations also to those who won today!

Cincinnati finished up their series against the Rockies in Denver. Sweep!...is what happened to the lowly Redlegs yet again. The offense disappeared yet again. And the same old story with the pitching yet again. Though they got blown out in two of the games meaning the Reds didn't stand a chance anyway, each game saw the pitching get lit up in at least one inning. 4-run 7th in game 1, 4-run 6th in game 2, and game 3 saw a 6-run 1st by the Rockies (Sanmartin didn't make it out of the inning). Connor Overton, who I'd never heard of before the game, actually had a good start yesterday: 5.1 innings, 3 hits, 1 run. Unfortunately as soon as he got pulled, Warren promptly gave up 3 more runs. That was the only winnable game where we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Or something.

Game 1: 10-4 Colorado
Game 2: 4-3 Colorado
Game 3: 10-1 Colorado

3-19 is our record. That sets a franchise record for worst start to a season. insert drunk emoji that would represent me if I was a drinker

Tomorrow is an off day. Hey, at least we can't lose, right? Right? Better enjoy it, because we have a 3 game set against Milwaukee starting Tuesday, followed by a 4 game series over the weekend against the Pirates (doubleheader Saturday), followed by another 3 against the Brew Crew, and another 4 against Pittsburgh. Fun bet: which will we hit first? 5 wins or 30 losses?

NFL season can't come soon enough.

Wow... Dolph Drago... Sorry about the Redlegs. To look ahead, here is the Reds' next five series (excluding dates):

! = division games (NL Central)

• at Milwaukee! (3 games)
  • Pittsburgh! (3 games)
  • Milwaukee! (3 games)
  • at Pittsburgh! (4 games)
  • at Cleveland (2 games)

When a team gets as down in the dumps, it seems like the losing will only continue. If anything, Dolph Drago, I am most concerned about all the series with the Brewers. This team basically owns the NL Central right now. What would be a surprise is if the Reds take at least one of these upcoming series or maybe split against Cleveland in Interleague play. All I can say is... it is too early to look forward to Cincinnati Bengals football right now for Cincinnati sports fans.

Blitz24's New York Mets are pretty baller so far this season, leading the NL East with a record of 16-7. I was going to ask if the Mets could possibly win the NL East. They'd probably win if the season ended right now. But of course, there is a VERY long way to go.

The Metropolitans begin a three-game series against the defending NL East and overall champions, Atlanta Braves, tonight. Then, they'll be in Philadelphia for a four-game set at the Philadelphia Phillies starting on Thursday.

Mr. 2000! Dusty Baker knocked down his 2000th win as a manager. The Houston Astros defeated the Seattle Mariners tonight 4-0. The grizzly 70-something has yet another win to add to his extensive resume and career. Congratulations, Dusty Baker!

My series summary of SEA at HOU will be posted once the series concludes.

Blitz24's New York Mets are pretty baller so far this season, leading the NL East with a record of 16-7. I was going to ask if the Mets could possibly win the NL East. They'd probably win if the season ended right now. But of course, there is a VERY long way to go.

The Metropolitans begin a three-game series against the defending NL East and overall champions, Atlanta Braves, tonight. Then, they'll be in Philadelphia for a four-game set at the Philadelphia Phillies starting on Thursday.
4 game series over 3 days. Mets could win the NL East but they will likely be fighting with the Phillies and the Braves. Each team has in my eyes a weakness. The Braves may have gotten career years from their starting pitching and so far this year, they are homer happy but of the solo variety. The Phillies will be able to pitch well and mash the ball, but their fielding will be tested as they might struggle to win games that require good defense (their bullpen is also not the greatest). The Mets have a good team that is fairly balanced but the hole at catcher cannot be ignored. Their starting pitching will likely be key to any future success. If deGrom returns and the rotation stays healthy, including a huge leap up by Tylor Megill and a return to form by Cookie Carrasco, they will be able to get 90+ wins.

Mets have still not lost a series this year and are looking to try and win their 8th straight series if they can win a matinee Wednesday over the Braves with the aforementioned Megill pitching. They swept their 2nd double header of the year with a nail biter in game one and a classic Cookie gem in game 2.

Texas and Toronto did the Astros no favors in the latest Astros' road trip, so let's see if AL West action at home can get the Astros' winning hopes up again...

* SEA Mariners at HOU Astros - 3-game series

[GAME 1] Usually, I watch pro wrestling, so I didn't see this game in its entirety. When I tuned over, it was 3-0, Astros in the Top of the 9th with one out. That 3-0 tally was the final score as the Astros once again donned the "Space City" uniforms. Jake Odorizzi got the start for Game 1 against Seattle. This time, unlike when we previously wore the Space City uniforms, J. Odoeizzi didn't even last one inning. This is a feel-good win after losing another series to Toronto.

[GAME 2] The Astros were on the verge of something special. If the Astros won Game 2 on Tuesday, Dusty Baker would get his 2,000th win. That win surely happened. The returning José Altuve went yard with a solo homer in his return later in the game. Before then, the Astros hit a solo homer off the bat of "Air" Yordan Alvarez. A two-run RBI also set up the scoring for the Astros. Christian Javier picked up the win as the Astros took this one 4-0. After the game, the fans in Houston appreciated and admired the amazing work of Mr. Dusty Baker, to which Baker later said, "I'm not done yet."

[GAME 3] The Astros completed the sweep of the Seattle Mariners today; but unlike the previous two games of this series, it wasn't a shutout. Justin Verlander's biggest blemish on today was giving up a two-run jack later in the game. This is the first sweep for the Astros this season.

GM1: (3-0; Houston)
GM2: (4-0; Houston)
GM3: (7-2; Houston)

NEXT: vs. Detroit (4 games), starting on Thursday

We are now 14-11 on the 2022 season, now 2nd in the AL West. Last time we had a home series against Detroit, we got swept. I like the Detroit Tigers. This should be a pretty fun four-game series. MoTown meets H-Town.

As an off-topic/lighthearted note, I saw some of the other "MLB City Connect" uniforms of some other teams. The Houston ones look very nice with the NASA-type lettering and the combination of blue, yellow, and orange. I most love the Chicago White Sox's "Southside" uniforms with the black with white pinstripes.

Congratulations to all other series winners! Congratulations also to those who won today! Hopefully your team(s) did well in their latest series.

Where to begin? How about...sweep! Did the Reds finally do the sweepin' this time? Uh, no. The Brew Crew took care of business in Milwaukee and wiped the floor with Cincinnati for the second time in a week.

I caught some of game 1. Meh. Mahle pitched alright until the 3rd inning. The Reds got to within 1 in the top of the next inning, but by the end of said inning, Milwaukee had regained their same run lead from before. The ONLY offense from Cincy came from Pham (3-4 with a HR and 2B), Moustakas (2-3 with a HR and 2B), and a pinch hit single from Matt Reynolds (who I didn't even know they had on their team until a few days ago). The rest of the team was 0-23.

Game 2. Oh, game 2. I watched the Reds actually take a 2-0 lead in the 1st inning. It was gone already by the time the 2nd inning rolled around. The Brewers then put up a 4 spot in in the 3rd inning, making it 6-2. That's when I stopped watching. I figured the score wouldn't be pretty when I check on it later. That was an understatement. Milwaukee evidently blew the game wide open as the game went on, outscoring the Redlegs 12-2 the rest of the way.

I missed game 3. Thankfully it was a day game and I had to work. So I missed another ugly one. Looking at the box score, the Redstockings grabbed another lead in the 1st, scoring 3 times. And it lasted...not at all. It was tied by the end of the inning...again. Milwaukee tacked on 5 more in the next two innings and another 2 in the 8th for fun. Cincinnati only managed a measly 2 runs after the opening inning.

Funny thing is the Cincinnati announcers in game 1 were talking about how the Brewers are built to win with good pitching, while the hitting is secondary. I guess Milwaukee didn't get that memo before the series.

Game 1: 6-3 Milwaukee
Game 2: 18-4 Milwaukee
Game 3: 10-5 Milwaukee

Still sitting on 3 wins. 22 losses. We haven't won since LAST Sunday. I was joking about the 5 wins or 30 losses bet earlier. It's turning into a legit possibility that we fail so badly we hit those 30 losses first. At this point, in such a hopeless season, I kinda want to see some (bad) records fall. At least it would provide some entertainment.

Where to begin? How about...sweep! Did the Reds finally do the sweepin' this time? Uh, no. The Brew Crew took care of business in Milwaukee and wiped the floor with Cincinnati for the second time in a week.

I caught some of game 1. Meh. Mahle pitched alright until the 3rd inning. The Reds got to within 1 in the top of the next inning, but by the end of said inning, Milwaukee had regained their same run lead from before. The ONLY offense from Cincy came from Pham (3-4 with a HR and 2B), Moustakas (2-3 with a HR and 2B), and a pinch hit single from Matt Reynolds (who I didn't even know they had on their team until a few days ago). The rest of the team was 0-23.

Game 2. Oh, game 2. I watched the Reds actually take a 2-0 lead in the 1st inning. It was gone already by the time the 2nd inning rolled around. The Brewers then put up a 4 spot in in the 3rd inning, making it 6-2. That's when I stopped watching. I figured the score wouldn't be pretty when I check on it later. That was an understatement. Milwaukee evidently blew the game wide open as the game went on, outscoring the Redlegs 12-2 the rest of the way.

I missed game 3. Thankfully it was a day game and I had to work. So I missed another ugly one. Looking at the box score, the Redstockings grabbed another lead in the 1st, scoring 3 times. And it lasted...not at all. It was tied by the end of the inning...again. Milwaukee tacked on 5 more in the next two innings and another 2 in the 8th for fun. Cincinnati only managed a measly 2 runs after the opening inning.

Funny thing is the Cincinnati announcers in game 1 were talking about how the Brewers are built to win with good pitching, while the hitting is secondary. I guess Milwaukee didn't get that memo before the series.

Game 1: 6-3 Milwaukee
Game 2: 18-4 Milwaukee
Game 3: 10-5 Milwaukee

Still sitting on 3 wins. 22 losses. We haven't won since LAST Sunday. I was joking about the 5 wins or 30 losses bet earlier. It's turning into a legit possibility that we fail so badly we hit those 30 losses first. At this point, in such a hopeless season, I kinda want to see some (bad) records fall. At least it would provide some entertainment.
The Reds gave up 3 XBH and the game was tied before a batter was retired.

Meanwhile, the Mets had an ugly beginning to their opening game of a 4 game set at Philadelphia as they gave up 7 runs in 3.2 IP. They then proceeded to not allow a run for the rest of the game. The Phillies gave up a solo HR in the 6th and were up 7-1 in the 9th inning only to proceed to give up 7 runs and lost 8-7. The only other time the Mets came back from 6+ runs down in the 9th inning and won was back in 1973.

We didn't lose yesterday!!!! Of course it's because the game was rained out, but a non-loss is a non-loss.

Meanwhile this popped up on my Youtube list. It about sums up the season so far.

We didn't lose yesterday!!!! Of course it's because the game was rained out, but a non-loss is a non-loss.

Meanwhile this popped up on my Youtube list. It about sums up the season so far.

You broke your losing streak!
Then immediately started a new one!

The Detroit Tigers swept the Houston Astros last time the two faced each other in Houston. Now let's see how this homestand goes between these two.

* DET Tigers at HOU Astros (3-game series)

[GAME 1] José Altuve returned to the lineup and did not hesitate to make an impact. No. 27 bombed a solo jack on the very first pitch to put the Astros up 1-0 to start the Bottom of the 1st. Another solo bomb was hit by the Astros to go up 2-0. Detroit managed to come right back to tie at 2-2, but the Astros delivered the walk-off magic in the Bottom of the 9th to win 3-2.

[GAME 2] José Altuve was the birthday boy on Friday. When I first followed the game, it was a 3-2 lead for the Houston Astros in the Bottom of the 5th. That same score would hold. So the Astros won 3-2 with Luis Garcia pitching.

[GAME 3] I didn't get to follow this game at all, as I was having a long family gathering. The Houston Astros won 3-2 (again?). The real story was Miguel Cabrera knocking down his 600th double in his career.

[GAME 4] This game did NOT finish 3-2, let's get that out of the way. The big key in Game 4 was a Grand Slam by Aledmys Diaz. I didn't see the rest of the game, but the Astros pulled out a 5-0 victory to complete the sweep of the Detroit Tigers. Detroit only managed one hit. Jake Odorizzi and Christian Javier allowed only two walks each. Also, I think both dealt 5 strikeouts each. So it's great Jake Odorizzi is improving after that horrible start at home against the Angels where he didn't even last the first inning and trailing 6-0.

GM1: (3-2; Houston)
GM2: (3-2; Houston)
GM3: (3-2; Houston)
GM4: (5-0; Houston)

NEXT: at MIN Twins (3 games), starting on Tuesday

PERFEECT HOMESTEAND! We are now 17-11 on the 2022 season through this 7-0 homestand. We are also riding an eight-game winning streak. We road trippin' next! Our road trip includes playing at the Twins, at the Nationals (2019 World Series rematch), and at Boston. All three-game series. I didn't post our AL West status because we are currently 1st in the AL West now; but the Los Angeles Angels, who lead the AL West at present, are still playing. So we'll know if we are in 1st or 2nd in the AL West once LAA is done playing tonight. We don't play Detroit again this season until this mid-September.

The Houston Astros have never had a perfect homestand since 2003.

Congratulations to all other series winners! Congratulations also to those who won today!

The end of the world is coming! The Cincinnati Reds took the (shortened) series against the Pirates. What was scheduled to be 4 games played in 3 days turned into only 3 games as weather postponed game 1 planned for Friday.

Game 1 saw Cincy grab a 2 run lead in the 1st inning. The only difference between this one and all of our other games this season is that we did not immediately give up said lead. Yes, Pittsburgh did tie it up, but it took them 6 innings to do it. It remained that way until the 8th inning where the Reds took off, scoring 7 runs. All they needed was 1, as Pittsburgh could not bring home a run in the 9th. Anyway, win #4 of the year finally came.

I don't the reasoning behind it, but David Bell decided to make it a bullpen game for the nightcap of the doubleheader. Maybe he didn't want to use 2 starters in one day and throw off their schedule? That was a mistake as the Buccos struck early with 4 runs in the 1st. Cincinnati responded with a pair themselves. Pittsburgh added another 3 runs three innings later. Undeterred, the Redlegs returned the favor with 3 of their own. Unfortunately that was all they could muster the rest of the way, while the opponent tacked on 1 more. A 3 run loss was the result.

It was 2-0 Pirates for a good portion of the battle in game 3. I switched over to the F1 race and promptly forgot about the game. :lol: I assumed it would be a similar score or worse by the end of the game. Boy was I surprised when I checked the final afterwards! Cincinnati hung 5 runs on the poor buccaneers in the 6th inning, helped by a grand slam by former Pirate, Colin Moran. He added another 2 run bomb in the 8th in response to a Pirate score and fend off any comeback. Pittsburgh failed to score in final inning, and the Reds took their 5th win of the season.

Game 1: 9-2 CIN
Game 2: 8-5 PIT
Game 3: 7-3 CIN

It was nice to see the bats come alive for a change. We didn't look completely lost at the plate, not striking out a billion times or hitting into multiple untimely double plays every game. And other than game 2, the pitching was solid. I believe Luis Castillo is going to make his season debut tomorrow, having been on the IL since the start of the season and finishing up a rehab stint. That should help some of our pitching woes. That's good, because we're going to be entertaining the Brew Crew for 3 games.

As an aside, the result of the series meant the 5 wins came before the 30 losses.

With my Houston Astros off today, let me provide the first standings update of the season. Find your favorite team(s) here:

--- American League Standings (as of: May 9, 2022) ---
AL EAST: New York Yankees (19-8), TB (18-11), TOR (17-13), BAL (11-17), BOS (10-19)
AL CENTRAL: Minnesota (18-11), CHW (14-13), CLE (14-14), KC (9-16), DET (8-19)
AL WEST: Los Angeles Angels (19-11), HOU (18-11), SEA (13-16), TEX (11-15), OAK (10-18)

--- National League Standings (as of: May 9, 2022) ---
NL EAST: New York Mets (20-10), ATL (14-16), MIA (13-15), PHI (12-16), WAS (10-20)
NL CENTRAL: Milwaukee (19-10), STL (16-12), PIT (11-16), CHC (9-18), CIN (5-23)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (19-7), SD (19-10), SF and COL (16-12 each), ARI (15-14)

--- OTHER OBSERVATIONS ---
BEST WINNING PERCENTAGE: Los Angeles Dodgers (.731)
WORST WINNING PERCENTAGE: Cincinnati Reds (.179)

BEST HOME RECORD: New York Yankees and Minnesota (11-4 each)
WORST HOME RECORD: Washington (3-11 at home)
BEST AWAY RECORD: New York Mets (11-5)
WORST AWAY RECORD: Cincinnati (2-15)

LONGEST CURRENT WINNING STREAK: Houston (7 straight wins)
LONGEST CURRENT LOSING STREAK: Oakland (9 straight losses)
BEST CURRENT 10-GAME STRETCH: New York Yankees and Houston (8-2 the past 10 games)
WORST CURRENT 10 GAME STRETCH: Oakland (1-9 record the past 10 games)

It's been one month of play in this rather condensed season. Still a long way to go, so a lot can still change between now and playoffs time. Keep playing hard! I may make an assessment of my Astros in my next post.

Man, as bad as Detroit is right now it's impressive they aren't the worst team.

Honestly, when I came up with my Standings Update, I didn't think Detroit was doing so poorly so far this season. I was probably thinking Baltimore had the worst record so far, at least among American League teams.

As semi-promised, here is an assessment of my Houston Astros so far.

The 2022 Houston Astros are 17-11 on the season and 2nd in the AL West. A few early injuries and a few inept moments of offense have led the Astros to be below .500 early on. Just like the train station at Astros home games, once this Astros train gets going, they are pretty tough to stop. Jake Odorizzi had that horrific start when we debuted our "Space City" uniforms, but he has since had some quality starts. Luis Garcia and Justin Verlander were their usual beast form on the mound. José Altuve has been the man for the Astros on offense. However, stars like Jose Siri and Jeremy Peña have come alive. Kyle Tucker is even proving to be an offensive threat. Also, don't forget about big, bad, "Air" Yordan Alvarez. He hasn't done too much work, but he'll bomb the ball out of the park if you deal him the right pitch. The Houston Astros are basically carrying Houston sports right now considering the woes of the Houston Texans and the Houston Rockets. We could face former Astro Carlos Correa in Minneaota as part of this three-city trip. This road trip consists of at Twins (3 games), at Nationals (3 games), and at Red Sox (3 games). I'm confident in my Astros, but am not ready yet to say they'll have an impressive season just yet.

So there you go. How would you assess your beloved teams, if you like? Feel free to assess your favorite team or some other. Otherwise, enjoy the upcoming action!

Hell hath frozen over. The cold went from the surface of the earth (well, at least the northern hemisphere) to Hades, and vice versa. When it gets hot outside, the balls start flying at GABP. The Cincinnati Reds took 2 of 3 from the NL Central leading Brew Crew and their second straight series.

Luis Castillo made his season debut in the opener. He struggled by his standards, and the Reds found themselves down 3-1 after he exited the game following 4.2 innings. While he fell 1 out short of being eligible for the win, the team responded nonetheless, putting up 5 in the bottom of the inning. Each team added a few more runs, with Cincy doubling up Milwaukee by the end, the big blow being a 3 run dinger by Kyle Farmer, who snapped an 0-34 streak in the process. Each Red in the lineup had at least 1 hit.

Game 2 was a frustrating one. It was a tight game all the way through. Cincy did find themselves down by 5-1 heading to bottom 8, and they clawed their way to within 1 run. They were unable to find a run in the 9th and thus found themselves losing by that lone run.

Now today was a game that would have been fun to watch if you like scoring. I had to work, and I don't think the game was on TV anyway. The series finale saw Milwaukee put up 11 runs. Surely that would be enough to take down the worst team in baseball? Nope! Somehow the now-surging Redlegs found a way to win despite their best effort to do otherwise. 4 runs in the 1st, 3 in the 2nd, and 1 in the 5th. However, that would not have been enough on its own. The Brewers put up 3 in the 3rd, 1 in the 4th, and 1 in the 8th. You may be asking, "Wait, that's 8-5 Reds, wouldn't that have been enough?" True, if the game ended then and there, but there was still at least an inning to play. Luckily Cincy put up a whopper of an inning in the bottom of the 8th, scoring 6 runs. And at least half of them were needed, because Milwaukee did the same in the top of the final inning. Dauri Moreta failed to record an out, leaving the the door open for the potential loss. Joel Kuhnel (I would ask who? again, but that's what I say about over half the team now) was able to finish off the game, despite giving up 1 of his own.

Game 1: 10-5 Reds
Game 2: 5-4 Brewers
Game 3: 14-11 Reds

1 more timely hit in game 2 could have seen the team from the Queen City possibly sweep the boys from Wisconsin. In any case, that's 3 wins in the last 4 games, 4 in the last 6, and two straight series wins. We more than doubled our total wins on the season in the homestand. That's 7 now for those keeping count. Still a ways to go, but we are starting to look better. We have done the scoring without the likes of India, Senzel and Votto, who are all sitting on the IL. Get them back, and we might have something. That's not a line I thought I would be uttering only a week ago. The pitching is still struggling mightily, though. We shall see.

And Twiiiiiins!!! The Astros begin another tour of awesome by going up to Minneapolis, Minnesota. Let's see how my team entertained the Twins.

* HOU Astros at MIN Twins (3-game series)

[GAME 1] Justin Verlander had a no-hitter through seven innings. However, he had to settle for a one-hitter. The Twins collected two more hits, but the Astros took Game 1 5-0.

[GAME 2] Game 2 was played on Wednesday night, until rain suspended play. The Houston Astros led 5-1. Houston scored five unanswered runs in the 4th inning before the rain got heavier. The remainder of this game was played on Thursday afternoon. Afterwards, Astros went open season on the Twins. Astros won 11-3.

[GAME 3] The skies cleared out as Game 3 went underway. The Astros took their baller performance from Game 2's resumption into this game and easily won 5-0.

GM1: (5-0; Houston)
GM2: (11-3; Houston) <<< resumed Thursday afternoon from Wednesday night's rain suspension
GM3: (5-0; Houston)

NEXT: at WAS Nationals (3 games), starting on Friday

Ten straight wins! Up now, a re-match of the 2019 World Series. Every Away team from the 2019 World Series won in that brutal-to-watch World Serie. Interleague action coming up for the Houston Astros Baseball Club.

Congratulations to all other series winners! Congratulations also to those who won today! Share your series summaries if you like.

Reds have decided to try and make history and failed at that. Reds threw a no-hitter but lost 1-0 to Pittsburgh. However, because the Pirates were home, the game is not a no-hitter.

Reds have decided to try and make history and failed at that. Reds threw a no-hitter but lost 1-0 to Pittsburgh. However, because the Pirates were home, the game is not a no-hitter.
This is peak Reds baseball at the moment.

The 2019 World Series rematch took place in Washington, D.C. for a weekend series. The Nationals, of course, won that brutal-to-watch World Series. Let's see how this Interleague series goes this time around...

* HOU Astros at WAS National (3-game series)

[GAME 1] When I first followed this game, Houston was already up 5-0 after the Top of the 1st. Whoa! Apparently, Jose Altuve hit a leadoff homer to get the party started. The Astros ended up winning 6-1. Now 11 straight wins along with Dusty Baker picking up win no. 2,009 in his coaching career.

[GAME 2] The Washington Nationals kept putting a hurting on the Astros. Despite their best efforts, the Nationals ended the Astros' bid for 12 straight wins on Saturday night. Nationals won - to make Sunday the Rubber Game of the series. I stopped watching after the Astros were trailing 11-4 in the Bottom of the 6th.

[GAME 3] When I first followed the game, we were leading 3-0 in the Top of the 7th. Tack on five more runs as the Astros took the series with an 8-0. You hang 'em, we bang 'em. Four jacks by the Astros helped seal Washington's fate in this Interleague series.

GM1: (6-1; Houston)
GM2: (13-6; Washington)
GM3: (8-0; Houston)

NEXT: at BOS Red Sox (3 games), starting on Monday

The 11-game winning streak came to an end on Saturday, but they start a new winning way after Sunday. As of the time of this post, the Houston Astros are 23-12, AL West leaders.

Elsewhere (Sunday games)...

* Regulation solved nothing in Atlanta between the San Diego Padres and the Atlanta Braves. The defending champion Braves failed to put away the Padres, as the NL West-leading Padres won 7-3 in 11 innings. Nabil Crismatt picked up the win for San Diego. Jackson Stephens took the loss for Atlanta.

Congratulations to all other series winners! Congratulations also to those who won today! Tell us how your favorite team(s) did in their most recent series if you like.

Only could a Cincinnati team pull off a feat like that...
Surprisingly, the Reds are not the first team to do this. They are actually the 6th. The Angels (2008), Red Sox (1992), and Yankees (1990) have also done this but these 4 teams all did it on the road, so these are not considered official no-hitters.

The Baltimore Orioles (1967) vs. Detroit and the Houston Colt .45s (1964) vs. the Reds (!) remain the only two teams to officially throw a no-hitter in a losing effort.

From a 2019 World Series rematch to a rematch of the 2021 American League Championship Series... the Houston Astros' final stop in this nine-game road trip ends with a three-game series in Boston. Houston Astros meet the Boston Red Sox. My series summary is coming up, so let's get it!

* HOU Astros at BOS Red Sox (3-game series)

[GAME 1] Game 1 was suspended for rain, as both teams were tied at 2 in the 6th inning. Houston would go up 3-2, but the Boston Red Sox belted a couple of homers late to win 6-3. We lost both the game and Jake Odorizzi (injured lower left leg).

[GAME 2] The Houston Astros were down 1-0 after the 1st inning. In the 2nd inning, the Astros went on a home run barrage on Nathan Eovaldi. Yordan Alvarez banged a solo jack over the Green Monster to tie it a 1-1. Kyle Tucker bombed a two-run homer later that inning to go ahead 3-1. Jeremy Peña reutned from injury to launch a homer to make it 4-1. Then a three-run bomb was hit to put the Astros up 7-1. I was typing up this report when Yuli Gurriel hit a two-run jack to make it a 9-1 Astros lead. Wow! Astros ain't never scared of no Green Monster! It was the first time in team history the Astros hit five home runs in one inning. Kyle Tucker would later bomb a Grand Slam in the Top of the 4th to make it a 13-3 lead for the Astros. Jose Altuve knocked down his 1,500th hit in his career in this game. The Red Sox can only muster one extra run. This one ended 13-4 in favor of the Houston Astros Baseball Club. Rubber Game tomorrow.

[GAME 3] José Altuve had liftoff on a leadoff homer over the Green Monster in the Top of the 1st. Boston must have been upset over last night and decided to do something about it. By the end of the 4th inning, it was a 5-1 lead for Boston. BOS pitcher Nick Pivetta went the complete game distance to sink the Houston Astros in Boston by the same 5-1 score. It was the second-ever complete game for Pivetta. Five unanswered runs by Boston. Shame.

GM1: (6-3; Boston)
GM2: (13-4; Houston)
GM3: (5-1; Boston)

NEXT: vs. TEX Rangers (4 games), starting on Thursday

We are now 24-14 on the season, still leading the AL West as of the time of this post. It's time to come back home to Houston and host the Texas Rangers for a 4-game weekend series. AL East still not doing the Astros too many favors.

Congratulations to all other series winners! Congratulations also to those who won today! How did your boys do in their latest series?

The Silver Boot series revs back up again with the latest series. The Houston Astros welcome their in-state rival Texas Rangers. Let's get it on... TEXAS STYLE!

* TEX Rangers at HOU Astros (4-game series)

[GAME 1] A balk followed by an RBI put Texas up 1-0 in the Top of the 1st. The Houston Astros, meanwhile, responded with two runs on the board in the Bottom of the 1st. Not much offense afterwards until the Astros plated three more runs in the Bottom of the 8th. The five unanswered runs by Houston were the difference in this game for the 5-1 Astros victory.

[GAME 2] This game was either on AppleTV+ or local radio. The Texas Rangers got a modicum of revenge from last night with a 3-0 victory. The Astros' 9-game winning streak at home was snapped.

[GAME 3] The Houston Astros scored two runs. One was an RBI, and another was a gutsy stealing home play. An RBI by Texas averted the shutout. Astros still held serve at home with a 2-1 victory.

[GAME 4] It was 4-1, Astros when I first followed this game around the Top of the 5th. With the bases loaded by Texas late in the 9th inning, the Astros allowed only one run as a clutch double play sealed Texas' fate in a 5-2 Astros victory.

GM1: (5-1; Houston)
GM2: (3-0; Texas)
GM3: (2-1; Houston)
GM4: (5-4; Houston)

NEXT: vs. CLE Guardians (3 games), starting on Monday

The Houston Astros are now 27-15 on the 2022 season so far, still leading the AL West. Now apparently, we have one of the best team ERAs at 2.86 (good for 2nd). Cleveland comes on down to H-Town for a three-game series. Formerly the Indians, now the Guardians. Hopefully Houston can guard home from Cleveland in this upcoming series.

Elsewhere (today's scores so far)...

* Speaking of Cleveland, the Guardians lost at home 4-2 to the Detroit Tigers. Alex Faedo was the DET winning pitcher with a save from Gregory Soto. CLE's losing pitcher was Shane Bieber.

* The Cincinnati Reds went up to Toronto and grounded the Toronto Blue Jays 3-2. Alexis Diaz was CIN's winner, and the Save went to Art Warren. Yimi Garcia was the losing pitcher for TOR.

* The Chicago Cubs won at home 5-4 against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Keegan Thompson was the winner for the Cubbies, while the Snakes saw Ian Kennedy lose.

* The defending champion Atlanta Braves were treated to a 4-3 defeat at the Miami Marlins. Sandy Alcantara was MIA's winner, and ATL's loser was Ian Anderson.

* It was 8-2 in Milwaukee as the Washington Nationals smashed the Milwaukee Brewers. Winning for the Nationals was Aaron Sanchez. The Brew Crew's losing pitcher was Freddy Peralta.

* Seattle and Boston couldn't handle their business in nine innings, so they needed extras. The Boston Red Sox pulled off the win 8-4 over the Mariners in 10 innings. It was Jake Diekman getting the win for BOS while Andres Munoz took the loss for SEA.

* The Los Angeles Dodgers and Philadelphia Phillies also couldn't handle their business in nine innings, so they needed extras as well. The game ended 4-3 in favor of the Philadelphia Phillies in 10 innings.

* So Philadelphia won. How did the other Pennsylvania team do? St. Louis stomped on Pittsburgh with an 18-4 victory at the Pittsburgh Pirates. Angel Rondon picked up the win for STL, and Bryse Wilson took the loss for PIT.

[UPDATE] We're now 27-15 on the season, not 26-15. I had 26 there in case Texas tied the game or took the lead. I pre-type my posts in a text file before copying-and-pasting. Changes made.

Last edited:
The team is familiar- Cleveland. However, this is our first series against Cleveland as the Guardians. The artists formerly known as the Indians come on to H-Town for three play dates. Let's see what happened...

* CLE Guardians at HOU Astros (3-game series)

[GAME 1] I was watching wrestling, so I checked into this game in the Top of the 9th. By then, Cleveland was leading 6-1. Houston was wearing their "Space City" jerseys. The same score would be the final score in this one. Cleveland currently undefeated against the Astros as the Guardians.

[GAME 2] The different maker in this game was a 3-run bomb by "King Tuck." Kyle Tucker was the money man for Houston in Game 2 of this series. Rubber Game coming up tomorrow.

[GAME 3] There wasn't really any scoring until about the 5th inning in this one. Nothing pretty from this game, but the Astros won 2-1 to take this series in this Rubber Game.

GM1: (6-1; Cleveland)
GM2: (7-3; Houston)
GM3: (2-1; Houston)

NEXT: at Seattle Mariners (3 games), starting on Friday

The Houston Astros are now 29-16 on the 2022 season so far, still leading the AL West. Leading the Angels by 1.5 game as of the time of this post. We get a day off before LATE GAMES, baby!

Congratulations to all other series winners! Congratulations also to those who won today! How are your team(s) doing?

Back