Make all cars available from the start?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 894 comments

Make all cars available from the start?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Shocking development.

If the system didn't work how come it was quickly adapted by games like Forza Motorsport, Midnight Club and Need For Speed?
Need For Speed immediately copied the Gran Turismo formula exactly for two titles in a row, then has spent the following decade deviating all over the place regarding how closely it follows the early GT title game progression. Assuming whatever specific title you're playing has followed it at all.

Forza directly copied the GT formula from the beginning, then spent every subsequent title messing around with it. Amusingly, Forza, with Forza 4, did go a lot farther towards having everything unlocked for the player than any GT title has; so not the best example to bring up.

Midnight Club jumped all over the place with progression systems.

Because games get boring when there is no incentive to keep playing! Do you think GT would have got this far if you could drive a Mazda 787B from the very start?
You mean the boondoggle of unlocking is the only reason you get any enjoyment out of the GT series? The actual racing, be it offline or on, is no good at providing such a thing?

Because games get boring when there is no incentive to keep playing!
True, but incentive to keep playing varies from one player to another.

Games such FM4, Grid Autosport, F1 & WRC have all cars available from the start and I still play them on a regular basis and find the racing portion in those games way more fun than in GT6.
To me grinding to acquire cars is incredibly boring and it discourages me from keep playing. GT6 not having proper races offline is another thing that discourages me from keep playing. That's why I only play GT6 once a week in my Friday night club race. If PD did the logical thing and made all the options that are already in the game available in arcade mode then I'd be able to setup proper races offline and I'd have incentive to play GT6 more often.

Because games get boring when there is no incentive to keep playing! Do you think GT would have got this far if you could drive a Mazda 787B from the very start?
No incentive to keep playing? If the lack of unlocks took away the incentive to play, I don't even see why you would bother with the game at all. GT Mode is no incentive for me. It is the annoying repetitive ads they play in a theater before the movie I actually came there for starts.

Would GT have gone this far if you could start with the 787B? I certainly don't see that hurting the game. In fact it could well make it much better for a variety of reasons just beyond giving you more freedom in how you play (for example it would require more forward thinking devs who might add other great features).

Before I spoke about USNF97, I consider it one of the greatest games ever made. It had nothing to unlock. In fact you could boot up the game for the first time and switch on an option to make yourself invincible and possess unlimited ammo. You got to play exactly how you wanted. It was game designed to be fun, and that is something the current industry seems to struggle with in my opinion.

USNF97 wasn't unique either. A lack of unlockables is pretty norm for sim games. I think Project Cars is following this route too, which will be great for the console racing genre.

I agree that the games not perfect and could be better BUT if you want all the cars from the start, not putting in any effort, then that's just lazy in my view. GT is about leaning to drive and improving your driving skill. I dont care if you are talking about online only. its just lazy to want all cars from the start.

if you want all the cars from the start, not putting in any effort, then that's just lazy in my view. GT is about leaning to drive and improving your driving skill.
You gotta take into account that not everybody who plays GT is 10 years old and have lots of free time to play games. Some of us have full time jobs, family, social life, etc. We want to spend our free time driving the cars we like, not grinding.
Saying that people who have a college degree, full time job & family are lazy is simply ignorant, immature and stupid.

The "learning and improving driving skill" argument is a bad one and makes no sense. One is not going to improve their driving skill just because they grind career races against bad AI using an overpowered car, cutting corners all over the place & hitting AI cars & walls with no damage & penalties, and using unrealistic driving aids such as SRF & driving line.

FS7
Saying that people who have a college degree, full time job & family are lazy is simply ignorant, immature and stupid.

The "learning and improving driving skill" argument is a bad one and makes no sense. One is not going to improve their driving skill just because they grind career races against bad AI using an overpowered car, cutting corners all over the place & hitting AI cars & walls with no damage & penalties, and using unrealistic driving aids such as SRF & driving line.
Can't agree more. The whole "if you want all cars unlocked you must be lazy" is about the worst argument you could make for having a long, boring career mode you must slog through to get to the content you want. Games are supposed to fun, something to do for enjoyment, not "work", which is implied in calling people "lazy" for not grinding their way to a useless garage full of virtual cars, only to rinse and repeat the same process every three years.

It's interesting to note, the dozens of times I've asked and asked and asked how someone else's game is impacted if some of us get a sandbox mode while others get to keep their grinding career mode, and no one ever gives a straight answer.

Can't agree more. The whole "if you want all cars unlocked you must be lazy" is about the worst argument you could make for having a long, boring career mode you must slog through to get to the content you want. Games are supposed to fun, something to do for enjoyment, not "work", which is implied in calling people "lazy" for not grinding their way to a useless garage full of virtual cars, only to rinse and repeat the same process every three years.

It's interesting to note, the dozens of times I've asked and asked and asked how someone else's game is impacted if some of us get a sandbox mode while others get to keep their grinding career mode, and no one ever gives a straight answer.
That'd be a great idea. Sandbox for just messing around with cars and tuning them (for use in online as well) and a proper GT mode for the ones who want to grind for credits and cars. Everybody wins

FS7
You gotta take into account that not everybody who plays GT is 10 years old and have lots of free time to play games. Some of us have full time jobs, family, social life, etc. We want to spend our free time driving the cars we like, not grinding.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way but its the truth. Its lazy to not want to play the game as intended. If you dont have the time to play GT6 as it is now, then i recommend you find something else to play that doesn't take up so much of your time. Is that so hard to understand?

Some people have lives, they don't have al day to play games. Maybe they don't have the time to play GT all day every day?

i work most week nights, i have 3 kids and hubby to look after but i find the free time to do a bit of gaming on GT6. Some are not as lucky that part i fully agree with and understand but if that is the case then GT6 isn't a game you should be playing.

Last edited:
Well I'm sorry you feel that way but its the truth. Its lazy to not want to play the game as intended. If you dont have the time to play GT6 as it is now, then i recommend you find something else to play that doesn't take up so much of your time. Is that so hard to understand?
Some people have lives, they don't have al day to play games. Maybe they don't have the time to play GT all day every day?

i work most week nights, i have 3 kids and hubby to look after but i find the free time to do a bit of gaming on GT6. Some are not as lucky that part i fully agree with and understand but if that is the case then GT6 isn't a game you should be playing.
Your logic is brilliant. Let's not expand the scope of the game to appeal to a broader range of players (hint: broader range of players = more $ale$), instead, let's spend $80million to develop a game for next gen consoles that will appeal mostly to people with massive amounts of time on their hands and to hell with really busy people that just want to pick up the game and toss around a few cars once in a while. I guess their money is worth less somehow.

if you dont like the way the game is, then dont play it.

Guess who never bothered to get more than halfway through GT5 after finishing the career modes in GT3 and GT4?

And who has not played GT6 at all except for work?

I don't like the game mechanic, so I don't play it. I've got three jobs, not including moderation duties, and two kids. I can no longer justify taking off an entire day to finish a twenty four hour race. (Hell... I couldn't even justify taking two days off to go to Paris for the magazine... it's just not possible)

Gran Turismo has always been appealing because even if you don't have time to finish the game, there has always been the opportunity to play casually and get far enough in that you have a wide variety of cars to drive after just a few weeks of play.

That all went out the window with GT5, due to the cumbersome game structure, the unnecessary unlocks, and the need to grind certain races over and over to buy cars for the following series.

If there's any blame to be apportioned for GT6's relatively low sales (aside from the increased competition), it's the big turn-off that was GT5.

The gaming scene is changing massively, and if you want to keep a share of the pie, you have to adapt to the times. If not... oh well.

I played Gran Turismo 4 for over a year after I finished it. Not to unlock cars, but simply for the joy of driving.

Having played GT1, GT2, GT3, GT:HD, several Concept titles, GT4, GT5Prologue and GT5... that's all I've ever played the game for. Simply for the joy of driving.

If I'd wanted to play for tokens, I would have taken up Pokemon.

I agree that the games not perfect and could be better BUT if you want all the cars from the start, not putting in any effort, then that's just lazy in my view.
Well it isn't. Laziness has nothing to do with it, it's just an excuse people bring up to keep free mode out. It's also an excuse that never has made any sense.

GT is about leaning to drive and improving your driving skill.
It's a video game. It's about doing whatever you want. That said, if it you wanted to learn how to drive and improve you skill, why would you waste time with credits?

If learning and skill requires credits, why does this game have none:

I guess it's a silly arcade game with no depth right? Because getting 100 [insert random currency here] before dropping a bomb would revolutionize the learning experience.

I dont care if you are talking about online only. its just lazy to want all cars from the start.
No it's natural when unlocking cars is:

pointless
boring
a detriment to learning how to drive
a hindrance for organizing events
a time sink with no reward

Everybody wins
Yes. Except the people who feel the need to control how someone else lives.

Ok guess i'm done here since no seems to respect my opinion and that's all it is by the way an opinion. so happy pointless moaning and good day.

Ok guess i'm done here since no seems to respect my opinion and that's all it is by the way an opinion. so happy pointless moaning and good day.
Your opinion is respected, even if it's wrong (and yes opinions can be wrong - as in this case stating that playing GT a certain way is lazy or incorrect). You're essentially arguing that you know what's best for everyone, so you should not be surprised when that argument falls flat on its face.

Your opinion is respected, even if it's wrong (and yes opinions can be wrong - as in this case stating that playing GT a certain way is lazy or incorrect). You're essentially arguing that you know what's best for everyone, so you should not be surprised when that argument falls flat on its face.

i wasn't arguing at all, just giving my opinion nothing more. ill leave as that.

....Wasn't too thrilled that this thread was dug up, but now I have to say, beside the "God" and GT6 meme threads I don't think I had more fun reading all 'em posts.

C'mon now, don't stop!! Keep going, fellas!!

Its lazy to not want to play the game as intended.
So, you're saying that grinding is the one and only way to go in GT6, and if I want to be able to play realistic races in arcade mode with all aids off, heavy damage, strong penalties, tire wear, standing starts, against a full balanced grid of decent AI drivers, using cars I like without having to grind through career mode first that makes me lazy? Sorry but that's just sounds unreasonable.

I don't understand why people would be against an option that would make the game enjoyable to a broader audience. It's kind of like somebody from another forum who made a thread arguing that racing sims should not have driving aids, no restarts, and that they should have damage & penalties that cannot be turned off, including terminal damage that would cause the player to lose the car and have to buy another one. Although that would make the game more realistic if PD did that to GT most people would find it too difficult/frustrating and would quit playing the game.
Games should have options that make them enjoyable to as many people as possible.

FS7
So, you're saying that grinding is the one and only way to go in GT6, and if I want to be able to play realistic races in arcade mode with all aids off, heavy damage, strong penalties, tire wear, standing starts, against a full balanced grid of decent AI drivers, using cars I like without having to grind through career mode first that makes me lazy? Sorry but that's just sounds unreasonable.

I don't understand why people would be against an option that would make the game enjoyable to a broader audience. It's kind of like somebody from another forum who made a thread arguing that racing sims should not have driving aids, no restarts, and that they should have damage & penalties that cannot be turned off, including terminal damage that would cause the player to lose the car and have to buy another one. Although that would make the game more realistic if PD did that to GT most people would find it too difficult/frustrating and would quit playing the game.
Games should have options that make them enjoyable to as many people as possible.

Sorry i dont understand any of that.

FS7
GT6 being the worse selling GT game is a clear sign that people do have a problem with the way the game is designed, and maybe PD should consider making improvements for the next game, they should pay attention to good features other companies have implemented in their games, and listen to community requests.
It is a much clearer sign of people being disappointed with GT5, and not trusting the series enough to buy the sequel.

We want options. You don't want us to have any.

op·tion
ˈäpSH(ə)n/
noun
plural noun: options
  1. 1.
    a thing that is or may be chosen.
    "choose the cheapest options for supplying energy"
    synonyms: choice, alternative, recourse, course of action; More

This is why I like the game Garrys Mod. Nothing is locked away in that game & all content is very much accessable when downloaded from the Steam Workshop. I also have a good size car list in it to. There are even a couple of later Holdens in it!

Last edited:
This is why I like the game Garrys Mod. Nothing is locked away in that game & all content is very much accessable when downloaded from the Steam Workshop. I also have a good size car list in it to. There are even a couple of later Holdens in it!
Ashamed to say I never heard of it. Watched one video and laughed most of the way through it. Looked at the description and it has 3.5Million views!! It's going on my wishlist:tup:

Ashamed to say I never heard of it. Watched one video and laughed most of the way through it. Looked at the description and it has 3.5Million views!! It's going on my wishlist:tup:

Oh well its a great game. Your only limit is your imagination!

If you like I would private message you & tell you more about it.

Hey @Johnnypenso Gran Turismo games in the future are never going to change to a allow all free cars at the start of a game, and yes people are to lazy because they want is everything free in a game instead of earning them.

Hey @Johnnypenso Gran Turismo games in the future are never going to change to a allow all free cars at the start of a game, and yes people are to lazy because they want is everything free in a game instead of earning them.
Thanks for your contribution:tup:

You mean people want everything free in a game that they paid for?? How absurd! Here I am thinking I earned it when I put down $60 dollars of my money (that, contrary to popular belief, did not grow on a tree).

Back