Makeshift Shuffle - No Tuning RacesOpen 

TODAY

Saturday 24 January 2015
2:00pm US EST / 7:00pm GMT / 8:00pm CET / 11:00am US PST / 19:00 UTC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spec Endurance Race BMW 507 '57 @ Apricot Hill Reverse
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BMW 507 '57 (Comfort Soft Tires, Tuning Prohibited)
22 laps @ Apricot Hill Reverse (45+/- minute race, heavy damage)

No rain either! :D Great Race nonetheless. Great battles with you guys, fun car on fun track! Did all the mistakes, pitting after a nice spin ruining the tires only to hit the planks in the lap after. Thanks, heavy damage, back to the pits...:banghead:

Thanks for letting me race today people! Was fun, even though on my screen we lost 4 people right from the get go! At the very start of the race, 2 racers looked like they didn't start at all, ( I know my reaction times are good but not that good :lol:), and in my rear view mirror I saw at least 2 cars jump right over the ones in front of them. Never did see Tarnheld, and I was kind of looking forward to renewing our close battles again... ;).

Again thanks to all, and hope to be allowed back on the grid with you people!

Cheers

Amazing race tonight! First I beat amary by 2 hundredths in quality and then we were neck in neck all race.

I took the start, he clawed it back pretty fast and we started tussling. And of course suddenly daddy and Co was in or rears in no time. I get a little gap in all the back and forth and try again to pull out of draft distance. But he pulls out that little extra again and pull me back.

This time he decides not to overtake and instead do some bump drafting so that when the pit stops come we have a good gap to the others.

Amary gets helheld up a little in the pits and I get a couple of seconds advantage. Knowing he have caught me before I floor to fend him off. It works at first but after a couple of laps he starts gaining again and with 5 laps to go he's right on my tail again.

I do all I can to keep him behind but the slip stream isn't helping. I also see him closing noticibly in the long sweeping right, indicating he has much better tires. Then finally he passes down the straight. I pull in behind and match his speed in to the chicane... but he understeers and brakes again, me reacting too late have to take to the sand and suddenly he's 2.5 seconds ahead.

I pushed like a mad man the last few laps and saw him taking some bad lines. Wishing to just catch a little draft and get that last back. But it's too far and I finish 8 tenths back.

Lovely race, great to be back! :D

Thanks for letting me race today people! Was fun, even though on my screen we lost 4 people right from the get go! At the very start of the race, 2 racers looked like they didn't start at all, ( I know my reaction times are good but not that good :lol:), and in my rear view mirror I saw at least 2 cars jump right over the ones in front of them. Never did see Tarnheld, and I was kind of looking forward to renewing our close battles again... ;).

Again thanks to all, and hope to be allowed back on the grid with you people!

Cheers

Hey, was looking forward to that too! :cheers:

Those invisibility problems are really annoying, but nothing beats a disconnect in the final laps... :scared: good to be spared of that today.

You are very welcome, i hope to have good battles with you soon! :)

Amazing race tonight! First I beat amary by 2 hundredths in quality and then we were neck in neck all race.

I took the start, he clawed it back pretty fast and we started tussling. And of course suddenly daddy and Co was in or rears in no time. I get a little gap in all the back and forth and try again to pull out of draft distance. But he pulls out that little extra again and pull me back.

This time he decides not to overtake and instead do some bump drafting so that when the pit stops come we have a good gap to the others.

Amary gets helheld up a little in the pits and I get a couple of seconds advantage. Knowing he have caught me before I floor to fend him off. It works at first but after a couple of laps he starts gaining again and with 5 laps to go he's right on my tail again.

I do all I can to keep him behind but the slip stream isn't helping. I also see him closing noticibly in the long sweeping right, indicating he has much better tires. Then finally he passes down the straight. I pull in behind and match his speed in to the chicane... but he understeers and brakes again, me reacting too late have to take to the sand and suddenly he's 2.5 seconds ahead.

I pushed like a mad man the last few laps and saw him taking some bad lines. Wishing to just catch a little draft and get that last back. But it's too far and I finish 8 tenths back.

Lovely race, great to be back! :D

:gtpflag: Nice recap. I still feel a little embarrassed about my mistake in the chicane, it would have been a heck of a couple closing laps. It threw my rhythm off for a little while too, and I never really found it again -- plus I really overused my tyres catching back up after the pit stop. The chicane was hell every lap, even with good rubber I was losing a couple car lengths on niko every time through. The last lap or so I just really backed off and went fast as slowly as possible, to avoid understeering off into the sand. Front left was down to 6, it was really plowing through the right handers. :scared:

I got held in the box a little too long -- I think because I was in the chat apologizing for my bobble in the hairpin (got on the dirty inside, and had to either release the brake a little and risk a small collision or lock up and risk a big one :nervous: ). I had to press start twice again to get it to let me go! :crazy:

Great battle, was hard won. 👍👍

Front left was down to 6, it was really plowing through the right handers. :scared:
Ah then you had worse tires in the end I think. Maybe you were overturning a bit in the long turns and that's why you could turn a bit sharper than me before the tires faded. Too bad I made that mistake or I would've had a shot with better tires in the end. :P

I got held in the box a little too long -- I think because I was in the chat apologizing for my bobble in the hairpin (got on the dirty inside, and had to either release the brake a little and risk a small collision or lock up and risk a big one :nervous: ). I had to press start twice again to get it to let me go! :crazy:

Great battle, was hard won. 👍👍
I suspected that would happen, that and that someone came in to the pits behind you. That usually makes both cars stutter a bit. I thought about answering at first but didn't want to risk anything happening, getting stuck in there or anything. ^^

The little touch in the hairpin was intense. Had to make the pass on those two lapped cars in the braking zone, then when I slowed down I just saw your car closing a bit too fast in the rear view mirror. ^^ But the touch was nothing, just a little car cuddle. :sly:

BMW 507 @ Apricot Reverse

IMG_9700.jpg

Did any of you guys actually see THIS during the race? :scared: :odd: :eek:

14.jpg

That's @nickg07 in the air, and @Baron Blitz Red on the track below.
I'm assuming that they were not seeing each other of course, and that's why that happened.
But what about @temuster (behind) and @tarnheld in his rearview mirror? Did you guys witness that during the race? :crazy:

Oh PD! :rolleyes:

They might as well have alien abductions during the races. :lol:
Or just add some badgers & whitetail deer that can dart out into the tracks. :boggled:
(I'm still blaming that unscheduled maintenance. Didn't have problems the week before! I don't know whether to hope they have another one this week, and retrieve the wrench they left behind... or hope they don't do anymore "maintenance" lol)

Last edited:

:lol:

:crazy:, didn't see @Baron Blitz Red again shortly after the race, but was chasing and even catching @temuster and @nickg07... never noticed that he enabled turbo boost. :eek:

For the record: @Baron Blitz Red was the first GTPlanet inhabitant i met after opening my first TT room in the GTPlanet community club. If i remember correctly, we had to fight invisibility problems before the close battle... :D

@watermelon punch, maybe you should run the room with lower race quality (three stars), seems higher values put more burden on the network. And if the PD server room looks like those below, you surely don't want to overheat the cables...

Last edited:

View attachment 297498

That's @nickg07 in the air, and @Baron Blitz Red on the track below.
I'm assuming that they were not seeing each other of course, and that's why that happened.
But what about @temuster (behind) and @tarnheld in his rearview mirror? Did you guys witness that during the race? :crazy:

Oh PD! :rolleyes:

They might as welI have alien abductions during the races. :lol:
Or just add some badgers & whitetail deer that can dart out into the tracks. :boggled:
(I'm still blaming that unscheduled maintenance. Didn't have problems the week before! I don't know whether to hope they have another one this week, and retrieve the wrench they left behind... or hope they don't do anymore "maintenance" lol)

i like to get high when im racing but i didnt realise i was that high+!

When the race started there was 12 of us shortly after it dropped to 11 i thought someone had quit.

I think Comcast uses a homemade kids korner recipe flubber for their cable lines.

@tarnheld I've always been confused about what those stars and "race quality" actually means.
I go with whatever's "recommended" generally.
I'll start using less stars than recommended, and see how that goes.

I think we didn't have any invisible car problems on Thursday evening. BUT, there were only 7 of us, so of course the less people, the less likely it is probably.
And some of the same people who've had invisible car problems on Tues & Wed, were also there on Thursday, so it wasn't just racer-specific.
Also weird, on Thursday I got a red colour "bandwidth unknown" when I was opening the room, and had really anticipated trouble, but there was none. My bandwidth almost always says "very good" (or maybe it says "very high", I just remember the "very" part filling me with confidence... in vain. :lol:)

Anyhow, in other news...
People asked about free run qualifying instead of a timed set qualifier.
It would require a little more work probably. And I'd need someone to assist me if we did it that way.
Also with the event... you can't have race-alone qualifying without the qualifier. And i really like using the EVENT feature for the single-races, because it really really lifts a lot of work & worry off the host. It also makes it so that an alternate host can EASILY jump in if necessary.

Maybe just limiting the qualifying period is the key. (It can be set as low as 5 minutes, for those who don't know.)
I'm thinking 10 minute qualifying is too long first off. I mean for most tracks. Do we really need to do more than 2 qualifying laps?
I know die-hards like to get in more than that.
It's also helpful for those who haven't practiced. :guilty:
But I personally would be okay with setting it so we could just barely get in 2. And go with it.
(Obviously I'd use a slow end of 2 laps, not 2 laps by an alien. IE: my own lap time to determine "2 laps".)

We'll try 4 stars today then. And if the vision check turns up invisible cars, I'll remake the room & set it to 3.
That should be a good test. Although I'll keep hoping that nobody will be invisible!!
If someone winds up becoming invisible after the 1st race, we'll just remake the room & do a manual line up for RGO.

Speaking of RGO...
I was thinking... for future... maybe we should institute a 1st race manual line up based on the club parity car assignment system. Would anybody be interested in that?
Here's the list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ooM/pubchart?oid=717242305&format=interactive
You can sort it by the percentage of funkiness. We can do it either highest or lowest percentage first. (Ties broken by number of races - like higher number goes first.)
(People who don't yet have an assignment, would be put in the back, in order of arrival.)
Let me know your thoughts.
Right now we go with whatever... which I think probably kind of bugs some people.
I don't mind calling out the list for a manual line-up.

So what do you think of these following ideas?
Maybe for some Wednesdays, 3pm US EST / 8pm GMT

Hot Hatches Francais
Race #1: Citroen C4 Coupe 2.0VTS '05 --> 8 laps @ London (no pit, so no pit stops)
Race #2: Peugeot 207 GTi '07 --> 10 laps @ Côte d'Azur (mandatory pit stop)
Race #3: Renaultsport Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16V '02 --> 16 laps @ Rome (mandatory pit stop)
Heavy Damage, free run qualifying for Race #1, RGO for Races #2 & #3

Japan '83s Surprise
using Japanese cars from 1983
Start with Honda City Turbo II '83 @ Nurb Nord.
Last Place picks next track (no erepeats)
1st Place picks next 1983 car (no repeats)
2nd Place picks damage - heavy or light
Free Run Fastest First for Race #1, RGO from Race #2 on.
Tuning Prohibited, whatever tires the car comes with stock
Japan Cars of 1983
Honda Civic 1500 3door 25i '83
Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (AE86) '83
Toyota Corolla Levin GT-Apex (AE86) '83
Honda Ballade Sports CR-X 1.5i '83
Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1800GSR IC Turbo '83
Honda City Turbo II '83
Nissan Skyline Hard Top 2000 Turbo RS (R30) '83
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX (Z31) '83
Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) '83

All of these are pretty cheap. 👍
Plus they're all pretty likable cars so far as I can recall.

We'll have to make a note of which stock tires beforehand.
I think the Civic is on CM, Silvia SH, and the rest on CS.
Should also make a note of which can be fitted with dirt/snow tires.

Alpine A110 1600S '73 @ Sarth 2005 no chicanes
5 laps, Heavy damage, Comfort Soft Tires
Starting in morning and racing until just after sunset, with variable weather.
As far as you can get qualifying for fastest first grid order.

Mazda Atenza Sport 25Z '07 @ Matterhorn
Heavy damage, mandatory pit stop, variable weather morning to late afternoon time setting
Which Matterhorn track?
Either we pick one for a 45-60 minute race, or we can race all 3 with 15-20 minute races. (Not short track :eek:)
The car's a premium, and I think I tested this on Dristelen last year. (No clue how it is on the other configurations yet.)

That's my Wall-O-Text for the day. :lol:

Club Lobby Room is OPEN for warmup for today's shuffle.

Also a note ... which probably doesn't apply to today because these lists have been less used for a shorter period of time.
But while I'm thinking of it...
Yesterday my BMW 507 benefited from an oil change.
Those of us who have been using the same cars for a year now might want to take a look particularly at your Vintage & Low Power list cars, and maybe the Traffic list, their mileage, particularly car #s 1-8, as you may benefit from changing the oil in those cars.

Back