"Manufacturing Issue" - Personal Account of a meeting - also interesting thought.

  • Thread starter Thread starter JDigital
  • 90 comments
  • 13,316 views
Messages
235
I posted this on another forum that I am a member of (300zx forum), but figured I'd post it here because I'm thinking you guys may be able to discuss this well. You can tell it was written for another audience but yea:
----

In a thread about the recent delay, this was posted:

Originally Posted by dogpile5
I am fortunately on site @ Sony's HQ this week in San Diego for work and when I heard of the delay I went down to the lobby to talk to some employees that happened to be playing prologue. All they could tell me was the delay was in manufacturing, not in the source code to the game itself. no worries guys, I think it will still come out this yet, just not on Nov 2nd.

--

To which I replied:


This is kind of interesting and does sort of tie into a little thought I've had in the back of my head. Now I've read damn near every article on GTPlanet over the years so I cant possibly cite exactly where all of this information came from but if you search around you probably can. Enough with the prologue.

During pretty much every interview with Kaz, he has always hinted to there being this one huge unrevealed secret about GT5. Even after revealing things like weather and damage, he always has this really smug look about him when he mentions this 'huge' other feature. Now... obviously this could all be ******** but he always has this weird confidence about him when he mentions this. Almost like he is dieing to reveal it because it is so awesome to him, and he knows everyone will love it; but maybe they are keeping it a huge secret for competition reasons.

Now I have no real clue what this thing could be, and I'm not even sure this huge secret exists. They have been known to say some pretty incorrect things. However, it is very strange that it is always a "manufacturing" issue that delays the game. It was slated for a Japan release a while back and the same thing happened.

Perhaps there is some hardware type of item that is incorporated with this huge secret? Could explain a manufacturing issue... Maybe the game was ready for release back during the Japan announcement, but then maybe they hit some actual snag with this secret piece of hardware. Being as that would delay it they took the opportunity to add a few more features to GT5 and polish some more stuff... being as they were dead in the water anyways.

Perhaps it could have happened. Perhaps it happened again...

Food for thought anyways. I really am curious what this big feature Kaz was referencing in all those videos. Just the way he said it makes you kind of think there may be some amazing thing they are sitting on.

--


So, 2 things... #1, what do you think about his comments.

#2, and more importantly, what do you think about my thoughts on the hardware issue?
 
Of course it would be fantastic if there was some super secret awesome feature to be revealed but I am not getting my hopes up. In any case with just the staggering number of cars and tracks, the day/nights cycles and weather I am already ecstatic. Anything new would be great but I am not expecting it.
 
I doubt it is a manufacturing issue because there is no evidence of the game even going gold yet. Also there is still no PEGI rating, which means the game was never submitted to Europe's rating board. This is not a manufacturing issue. It's either a bug or Sony execs decided to change release plans at the last minute.
 
I'm sure people will be upset if it does turn out to be some new piece of hardware like a wheel or headtracking device. I feel like a lot of people are splurging and buying wheels and new TVs just for GT5, and if it turns out that something better was in the works, they aren't going to be happy. I guess we'll see though.
 
Haha dylansan your sig is great! But sadly true :(
 
I think the X1 was the big feature.
 
Probably a masturbation aid - Flesh Light GT5 edition.
 
JDigital you keep making me dream. Can't imagine what could possibly be better than what Kaz has added, other than drag racing.

And I think what CoolColJ said was unnecessary.
 
"We sincerely apologize to GT fans for the delay, however, creator Kazunori Yamauchi and the team at Polyphony Digital want to make certain they are creating the perfect racing experience, and we are confident that this ambitious game will exceed expectations when it launches," Imasaki explained.

No way it could be a manufacturing problem after throwing Kaz under the bus like that. I think that's Sony's way of saying it's your fault not ours and telling him to get his s*** together and finish the game.
 
"We sincerely apologize to GT fans for the delay, however, creator Kazunori Yamauchi and the team at Polyphony Digital want to make certain they are creating the perfect racing experience, and we are confident that this ambitious game will exceed expectations when it launches," Imasaki explained.

No way it could be a manufacturing problem after throwing Kaz under the bus like that. I think that's Sony's way of saying it's your fault not ours and telling him to get his s*** together and finish the game.

Only way they deserve to say perfect is if all 1000 cars are premium.:ouch:
 
SEPHY! Hello from Mischief

randomness out of the way, I just want this game in my playstation 3.... that is all
 
The whole 'making the game perfect' is jsut an official excuse.. it doesn't mena much. Think about it, if you had a manafacturing problem or if there were too many prebuys and you needed to do more and you ran into problems what would you say?

'We are putting the date back a few weeks because we mucked up the production line'

neit.

how about,

'Kaz and PD are making the perfect game'.

With the release date of nov2 they would have finished it now, adding a feature takes a little while and implementation and then they have to test it in to make sure it doesn't spas out if you you collide two zondas on the 13th corner of the nurbrugring with damage off, standard physics and rain. So they then test it out and finish the code.

That wouldn't be happening even 2 months out. Added to that, some of the promo games were nigh on final version.



By saying what they did it reminds people that this game is as perfect as possible, without blaming anyone specifically.
 
I agree. If it was to be released on 2 Nov, it would have had a code freeze and gone gold at least a month or so ago.
 
All I can say is that JDigital is on the right track with the info.
 
I'm just wondering if it doesn't have anything to do with the current strength of the Japanese yen. Don't forget that Nintendo also postponed the release of their 3D DS.

At the moment $1 is 81 yen. This is really hurting Japanese companies that export to overseas.
 
At the moment $1 is 81 yen. This is really hurting Japanese companies that export to overseas.

Have nothing to do with this issue, Sony Global is doing their manufaturing of discs in various Sony DADC facilities around the world.

PS3 games are being manufactured in Europe, USA and Japan/Asia respectfully.

PAL games are being made in DADC factories in Austria and UK, USA games in New Jersey and somewhere else (I'm not into Google at this point of the morning :)), while NTSC Asia and JP games are made in Asian/JP mastering facilities.

No export to be exact, every Blu-Ray for particular amarket is manufactored at their "appropriate" continent :)
 
All I can say is that JDigital is on the right track with the info.

Ok, so I kind of hate and love you right now. :lol:

Can you confirm if it's hardware or software related?
 
Have nothing to do with this issue, Sony Global is doing their manufaturing of discs in various Sony DADC facilities around the world.

PS3 games are being manufactured in Europe, USA and Japan/Asia respectfully.

PAL games are being made in DADC factories in Austria and UK, USA games in New Jersey and somewhere else (I'm not into Google at this point of the morning :)), while NTSC Asia and JP games are made in Asian/JP mastering facilities.

No export to be exact, every Blu-Ray for particular amarket is manufactored at their "appropriate" continent :)

Thank you for explaining the situation. I'm glad that this at least means I don't have to wait for the exchange rate to improve before I can expect to see GT5 released!

To tell the truth, I was completely gutted when I read the news this morning. Right up until last night the official homepage said November 3rd release. I bought a new wheel this week and I had started building a mount for it. But on reflection, the delay now gives me more time to persuade my wife to let me buy a new HD monitor to hook my PS3 up to. Every cloud....
 
Have nothing to do with this issue, Sony Global is doing their manufaturing of discs in various Sony DADC facilities around the world.

PS3 games are being manufactured in Europe, USA and Japan/Asia respectfully.

PAL games are being made in DADC factories in Austria and UK, USA games in New Jersey and somewhere else (I'm not into Google at this point of the morning :)), while NTSC Asia and JP games are made in Asian/JP mastering facilities.

No export to be exact, every Blu-Ray for particular amarket is manufactored at their "appropriate" continent :)

I think the other factory is in Terre Haute, Indiana
 
Last edited:
What manufacturing issue? More like the game just isn't finished yet...

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/14/yamauchi_on_gt5_delay/
Sony didn't give much of an explanation when it announced Gran Turismo 5's delay yesterday. For something a bit more solid (just a bit), we turn to series producer Kazunori Yamauchi himself.

Returning to Twitter for the first time since September 22, Yamauchi apologized to fans today and explained that the reason for the delay was that it was taking some time to finalize some of the game's more complicated systems. Apologizing again (two apologies in the same Tweet!), he asked that players wait a bit more.

Yamauchi quickly followed up this apology with some good news for those worrying that this is actually a stealth delay to 2011. A follower pleaded with him to get the game out by the end of the year. "I believe we won't keep you waiting until then," replied Yamauchi.
 
Have nothing to do with this issue, Sony Global is doing their manufaturing of discs in various Sony DADC facilities around the world.

PS3 games are being manufactured in Europe, USA and Japan/Asia respectfully.

PAL games are being made in DADC factories in Austria and UK, USA games in New Jersey and somewhere else (I'm not into Google at this point of the morning :)), while NTSC Asia and JP games are made in Asian/JP mastering facilities.

No export to be exact, every Blu-Ray for particular amarket is manufactored at their "appropriate" continent :)

And if Sony still have the same issues in their factory in Austria as they had when I had the "pleasure" of ordering a dual-layer data DVD and having them pressed and processed by them, I'm not that surprised. (It was a long time ago around 2001-2002)

Although it was only in small quantities, 6000-10000 units (total about 50 K). But I had to return several test presses before approving the final one. Interesting to try to talk English with a gentleman that's not fluent in English but has a distinct asian dialect. So I can really understand Sony if there is manufacturing issues. I had Compaq on my back waiting for the discs, not fun. And every prototype took about 4 days to test all the various hardware combinations.
Win98, WinME, WinXP and Mac OS 7, 8 and 9.
 
Last edited:
Manufacturing issues?? Is it due to the fact that SONY/PD wants to protect the game from illegal copies/duplications of it?

In order to make money and ensure a return on investment, Sony has to stay ahead of the game, and prevent by any means possible to render blu-ray copy and piratage impossible.
and that means a front of the line, state of the art manufacturing process of making blu-ray games secure enough to make impossible for duplication.

Am i warmer there Amar?
 
I doubt it is a manufacturing issue because there is no evidence of the game even going gold yet. Also there is still no PEGI rating, which means the game was never submitted to Europe's rating board. This is not a manufacturing issue. It's either a bug or Sony execs decided to change release plans at the last minute.

Actually, there was a rating on the game. Apparently there was 'mild language' because one of the songs in the game was called 'scumbag'. I'm too tired to find a link, but it's in the GT5 forum somewhere.
 
All I can say is that JDigital is on the right track with the info.

Congratulations, we now have something meaningful to speculate on now. :sly:

I have to agree with love you or hate you comment by scope72.

My money is on something to do with headtracking. I reckon we're talking either about some kinda move device for your head or, a better camera. Head tracking on the current camera never really looked 'professional'.

A more advanced webcam would be able to monitor eye-tracking really well, and all things considered, eye-tracking would be far more useful.

I still secretly hope for a moving field of view, as shown by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw, but i think it's wishful thinking.


OR

GT5 is going to coincide with a PS3 pridedrop, and they're worried they'll sell out of PS3's.

Pure speculation of course.
 
Last edited:
Sony didn't give much of an explanation when it announced Gran Turismo 5's delay yesterday. For something a bit more solid (just a bit), we turn to series producer Kazunori Yamauchi himself.

Returning to Twitter for the first time since September 22, Yamauchi apologized to fans today and explained that the reason for the delay was that it was taking some time to finalize some of the game's more complicated systems. Apologizing again (two apologies in the same Tweet!), he asked that players wait a bit more.

Yamauchi quickly followed up this apology with some good news for those worrying that this is actually a stealth delay to 2011. A follower pleaded with him to get the game out by the end of the year. "I believe we won't keep you waiting until then," replied Yamauchi.

:scared: Why the heck did they give an release date if they can´t hold it? (On all of the GT series till now!).
There is always something to polish, Kaz said 1-2 years ago... So where is the end? "We can release the game anytime (last year TGS?)" he said so proud... and still polishing?

By the way, I never heard anything about this super secret feature? When did Kaz said that? Really I can´t remember that he said such an thing?
 
Kaz didn't really mention anything about a "super secret feature," but he did dance around certain things in the game which excited him. So did Chris H-J at E3, he mentioned an undisclosed feature to Shaun Cole of ISR which was his favorite part of GT5.

I suppose it must be amar's too. ;)

I'm still pulling for a Livery Editor to go with Race Mod.
 
No I think it must be something that we´ve never seen in any game before... A livery editor is really nothing new to get excited... I mean we already have seen this in many other games...

I hope it´s not again such an crap like this GPS thing we´ve heard a while ago... Who the hell can use features like this?
 
Back