"Manufacturing Issue" - Personal Account of a meeting - also interesting thought.

  • Thread starter Thread starter JDigital
  • 90 comments
  • 13,335 views
Not going gold; not being rated by PEGI; no slew of fresh media within a month of release.

All the signs were there for some real big problem that we didn't correlate until yesterday.
 
Congratulations, we now have something meaningful to speculate on now. :sly:

I have to agree with love you or hate you comment by scope72.

My money is on something to do with headtracking. I reckon we're talking either about some kinda move device for your head or, a better camera. Head tracking on the current camera never really looked 'professional'.

A more advanced webcam would be able to monitor eye-tracking really well, and all things considered, eye-tracking would be far more useful.

I still secretly hope for a moving field of view, as shown by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw, but i think it's wishful thinking.


OR

GT5 is going to coincide with a PS3 pridedrop, and they're worried they'll sell out of PS3's.

Pure speculation of course.

The PSEye is more than adequate for face-tracking. It works quite well with some flash-based demos I've tried, which did involve view-point manipulation, as per Johnny Chung Lee's demo (but not necessarily using his code.)

I think the reason it didn't work so well at games shows is because of the combination of inconsistent lighting and non-specific calibration. There might also be an issue with allocating enough resources to do the job with enough precision when playing a game, since colour-based tracking is quite CPU intensive.

That said, I hope that translational view-point manipulation via face-tracking is implemented in GT5, not just a simple rotation. This would be incredible combined with stereoscopic 3D.

I wonder if this super-secret feature has anything to do with the "complex system" Kaz referenced and does this account for the 3-day delay on submission of final code?
 
THE:MILKMAN
Now about your reply to JDigital @GTPlanet.............Does GT5 have a super secret feature?

Give us a hint please!!

Amar212
Haha, that particular one is not secret since April 2009


"Third tale says that for the first time ever skypaths will not be just solid and already known but that new skypaths will be built by birdtamers from the parts of existing skypaths."


Amar212
At E3 - when he mentioned "his favorite still undisclosed feature", he was thinking about the Course Maker.

It was revealed months later at the GamesCom.

But, I think all of us can safely presume that there are some further details of the game that are still held behind the curtain.

Amar posted this at GAF. It is just the Course Maker. There will still be surprises I'm sure.
 
Last edited:
All I can say is that JDigital is on the right track with the info.

Now, that was really mean from you. :lol:

But yes, if they missed the production date by 3 days, it means they were still working hard on the game until the last minute of the deadline Sony gave them. This is actually a good sign that we haven't seen all of the cool stuff, but I wouldn't expect another huge feature like the Course Maker or something.
 
Not going gold; not being rated by PEGI; no slew of fresh media within a month of release.

All the signs were there for some real big problem that we didn't correlate until yesterday.

It was rated, as we had a good joke about how the game was for everyone but one lyric in a song that read 'you caught me with my pants down' was flagged.
 
I posted whilst on the first page and before it was cleared up. Was it A PEGI rating or American?
 
All I can say is that JDigital is on the right track with the info.

A couple of months ago, when I went to my local GAME store to place my GT5 pre-order, I've ask about the CE and SE reservations. At the time, the guy mentioned that they were only yet taking in pre-orders for the regular version of the game because, accordingly to him, although it was know by then that the above mentioned 2 "special" editions were going to be released. I mentioned this at the time in the General News thread.

I also mentioned then that it was rumoured that a 3rd "special" edition was on the line, which would likely include a wheel.

I didn't take that much into consideration at the time, but could this be something related with this?

As a matter of curiosity, today, the 14th October, they still are not taking pre-orders for the SE or CE, neither are yet accepting people to change their regular order to one of those editions yet. Last time I checked this near them was last Friday and the situation still maintains the same.

Also, interestingly enough, there is no mention whatsoever on their portuguese site about GT5.

Could it be that they are lightly informed on something and until this is officially announced they will not start advertising it properly (besides some 'fake' generic prints in empty cases for pre-order purposes (of the regular version)?
 
taking some time to finalize some of the game's more complicated systems

3D??
Reviews so far have been good for other 3D games that have been previewed, but most commentators were underwhelmed at the 3D application in GT5. They need to get 3D looking top notch for the sale of Sony Bravias (& another big Sony ...)


one huge unrevealed secret about GT5

OK - this is the big one, the big secret, and it links in with "manufacturing" issues, but not for GT5...

GT5 is a PS4 launch title, and Sony haven't been able to gear up PS4 production for a surprise pre-Christmas PS4 launch :lol:

(KY has said himself that PS3 can't cope with 16 cars on the grid + rain etc...)
 
one huge unrevealed secret about GT5

GOT IT :) - "Production" issue, but not "manufacturing"

Fits in with JPN launch delay too, which was just after the "alleged" expiry date of the exclusive Porsche tie in with EA...

PD have been beavering away "producing" a full portfolio of Porsches
 
Hmm, think about it! why would you be that tight to a schedule.. you miss by 3 Days.. It's got to be either something major.. in which case Kaz wouldn't say you'll see it soon.

Or it's something involving an external party out with there control, but still there responsibility.

Could be Production related.. did they miss the press slot? What or Why would that be the case! what could have caused that? again if it's S/W in the game related why are they working on it right up to the last minute! and how do they know it's fixed :nervous:

Could it be Network infrastructure related. Could be some issue with the new Community Support features, perhaps the new feature means we can see each other as we race!! no more racing in your underwear!! :scared:

Could it be they need an update to the PS3 Firmware! for the new logitech peripheral with interchangable GT and F1 wheels as well as the new buttkicker full motion systems :drool: and theres a delay in getting that out..

Have they finally decided to bundle a free 3D television with the signature edition, since it's priced at that level :sly:

There are so many reasons that the game could be delayed we could continue to speculate until it drops on the Mat.

SONY Know this game will sell big time, they know it may well sell more PS3's and 3DTV's than anything else out there today. Why would any manufacturer not want to ship there product as quickly as possible in order to get to revenue..

Why would they go out on a limb at E3 and other shows and Publish the dates
Lets hope this is nothing more than an embarrassing glitch... :dunce:

Let's hope that perhaps after so many false starts and raised hopes especially with PD saying it's finished and we could ship anytime... that both these companies can be a little more transparent and honest with there followers.. were all human after all. :)
 
(KY has said himself that PS3 can't cope with 16 cars on the grid + rain etc...)

That's not what KY said at the time. What he said was something like "this level of detail (referring to Premium cars) is more suitable for the PS4 than PS3".

It's different from what you've said.
 
All I can say is that JDigital is on the right track with the info.

I made some considerations and these are my two cents (please Amar let me know if I should add more ;) ).

The following may be really a crazy idea as well as a good guess...
who knows...

What is really still missing in the Real Driving Simulator?
To be a simulator the "play seat" should mimic the seat in a car. Ok, G Force is probably not going to happen but seat movements is possible.
Some movie theaters in the US (I don't know in Europe) have moving seats (D-Box is the brand) that reacts according to the scenes.
I have never tried them but if we imagine to have a moving seat, as well as a base on the ground, both able to move and to vibrate...
3d and head tracking...
That would be a real revolution... or at least it would start one

The GT JP site announcing the delay writes:
「PlayStation®3 GRAN TURISMO 5 RACING PACK ]

Racing Pack = a bundle GT5+wheel+PS3 or ...
Racing Pack = a bundle GT5+wheel+PS3 + something more interesting?

EDIT : Racing Pack = GT5+PS3 (blue edition) .
Thanks bullie77
 
Last edited:
The GT JP site announcing the delay writes:
「PlayStation®3 GRAN TURISMO 5 RACING PACK ]

Racing Pack = a bundle GT5+wheel+PS3 or ...
Racing Pack = a bundle GT5+wheel+PS3 + something more interesting?

This is the Racing Pack

gt5racing-450x184.png
 
Congratulations, we now have something meaningful to speculate on now. :sly:

I have to agree with love you or hate you comment by scope72.

My money is on something to do with headtracking. I reckon we're talking either about some kinda move device for your head or, a better camera. Head tracking on the current camera never really looked 'professional'.

A more advanced webcam would be able to monitor eye-tracking really well, and all things considered, eye-tracking would be far more useful.

I still secretly hope for a moving field of view, as shown by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw, but i think it's wishful thinking.


OR

GT5 is going to coincide with a PS3 pridedrop, and they're worried they'll sell out of PS3's.

Pure speculation of course.

A moving field of view like that would be incredible in the game, and I'd be more interested in that (for a greater sense of immersion) than simply using head-tracking to be able to look left or right.

The delay is truly disappointing, but I can swallow a few weeks. A delay to spring would be unacceptable though, so let's hope it does not come to that.

I guess I'm in more for one more peripheral if it's motion tracking like that ^ - I've already got a DFGT and a Buttkicker in eager anticipation. :)
 
Last edited:
Speculating about a huge undisclosed feature........nice ( bit of a change to all the negativity including my own ).
Now since this is all speculative obviously and isn't in any way accurate or intended to be perceived as a credible possibility since we all know nothing about it ( apart maybe from Amar ) I'll have a go.

I've been thinking about the new additions recently shown such as, working horns, indicator icons on the HUD, reverse lights and those screens showing "Tentative" labelled road signs.
In another thread I suggested linked highway sections with a route to be decided whilst driving ( no predefined track route ) and with gasstations as a possible starting point ( and for refueling and new tires, etc. ).

This would be a sort of free roam experience ( possibly online as well as a meeting point ) but despite being new in the context of GT it wouldn't be a new element in gaming as a whole ofcourse ( and I know there are a lot who think free roam has no place within GT ).
But maybe if combined with the track experience it could make sense, what if you could drive to a track on a fantasy ( or partly accurate ) highway or road section possibly with traffic ( online or offline ) to focus more on the driving experience in addition to racing on a track only.
What if you could send a few racing/rally/road cars ahead to that track using Car Delivery ( that truck icon ) and could only use a road car to travel to it yourself?

Maybe far fetched or undesired by most but I would definitely like that.:)
 
@analog:

As you say, this is purely speculative and, therefore, are theories share the same credibility at this point. However I believe your is probably a little to over-the-head :). Nice, but still... :lol:

As for the truck "delivery" icon, I feel this is related to the car online exchange.
 
@analog:

As you say, this is purely speculative and, therefore, are theories share the same credibility at this point. However I believe your is probably a little to over-the-head :). Nice, but still... :lol:

As for the truck "delivery" icon, I feel this is related to the car online exchange.

I know, I know, still nice to dream though ( at least I didn't include unicorns or zero gravity ).:D
 
Last edited:
Free roam could fit nicely with photo mode...

... but not sure if its big, BIG - when compared to the stuff that has been revealed like damage, rollover, weather, day / night cycles / headlights
 
Free roam mode is an Interesting concept.. something like NFS World but with GT Visuals and Physics.. World of Warcraft for Cars...

Yes we love Cars.. but how would you police this world? How do we prevent it just becoming Grand Theft Auto, or Quake with Cars, one Giant Demolition Derby :) perhaps you have to steal the upgrades!!

I'm sure that as honest car racers were above all of that stuff !

It's hard enough finding some discipline on the track let alone in free roam mode :)

But demolition Derby aka last man driving hmm Occasionally that might be fun :odd:
 
Ya know what, knowing this guy, I bet it's some kind of USB/bluetooth camera thingy for that photo mode he so loves.

Granted, I'm of the school of thought that if I wanted to be a photographer, doing it in the real world would probably be a much more pleasurable and fulfilling experience, but I digress.

Just my opinion.
 
Fits in with JPN launch delay too, which was just after the "alleged" expiry date of the exclusive Porsche tie in with EA...

Anyone have any sort of reputable link with any info concerning the Porsche/EA license expiry?
 
Free roam mode is an Interesting concept.. something like NFS World but with GT Visuals and Physics.. World of Warcraft for Cars...

Yes we love Cars.. but how would you police this world? How do we prevent it just becoming Grand Theft Auto, or Quake with Cars, one Giant Demolition Derby :) perhaps you have to steal the upgrades!!

I'm sure that as honest car racers were above all of that stuff !

It's hard enough finding some discipline on the track let alone in free roam mode :)

But demolition Derby aka last man driving hmm Occasionally that might be fun :odd:

Two words: Private Lobbies! (man's best invention after... well... lobbies...)
 
Porsche would certainly fit the "what's jaw droppingly big but nobody's had a sniff of yet" description
 
Speculating about a huge undisclosed feature........nice ( bit of a change to all the negativity including my own ).
Now since this is all speculative obviously and isn't in any way accurate or intended to be perceived as a credible possibility since we all know nothing about it ( apart maybe from Amar ) I'll have a go.

I've been thinking about the new additions recently shown such as, working horns, indicator icons on the HUD, reverse lights and those screens showing "Tentative" labelled road signs.
In another thread I suggested linked highway sections with a route to be decided whilst driving ( no predefined track route ) and with gasstations as a possible starting point ( and for refueling and new tires, etc. ).

This would be a sort of free roam experience ( possibly online as well as a meeting point ) but despite being new in the context of GT it wouldn't be a new element in gaming as a whole ofcourse ( and I know there are a lot who think free roam has no place within GT ).
But maybe if combined with the track experience it could make sense, what if you could drive to a track on a fantasy ( or partly accurate ) highway or road section possibly with traffic ( online or offline ) to focus more on the driving experience in addition to racing on a track only.
What if you could send a few racing/rally/road cars ahead to that track using Car Delivery ( that truck icon ) and could only use a road car to travel to it yourself?

Maybe far fetched or undesired by most but I would definitely like that.:)

And if you went out between 8:00 and 10:00 you'll get stuck in a traffic jam for two hours:sly: :dunce:
 
RE: "Big Secret"

Maybe something that hasn't been considered yet from the "creation" side of things? I know we've got the forthcoming Track Editor, but maybe something more along the lines of a Car Editor?

And I don't mean like tweaking the ride height or camber angles or swapping out spoilers. I mean more along the lines of a from-the-ground-up vehicle creator. PD essentially made their own car with the X1 (I think that's what it's called... have a head cold clouding my memory right now). Doesn't seem too far-fetched, even though I think it would be absolutely insane to provide the creation tools that would make the user-created vehicles seem close to the level of the included in-game vehicles.

OK, I'll go back to my hole, now...
 
Porsche would certainly fit the "what's jaw droppingly big but nobody's had a sniff of yet" description

We still miss this one for those "what if" le mans classic races...

prod_231_1_big.jpg
 
RE: "Big Secret"

Maybe something that hasn't been considered yet from the "creation" side of things? I know we've got the forthcoming Track Editor, but maybe something more along the lines of a Car Editor?

And I don't mean like tweaking the ride height or camber angles or swapping out spoilers. I mean more along the lines of a from-the-ground-up vehicle creator. PD essentially made their own car with the X1 (I think that's what it's called... have a head cold clouding my memory right now). Doesn't seem too far-fetched, even though I think it would be absolutely insane to provide the creation tools that would make the user-created vehicles seem close to the level of the included in-game vehicles.

OK, I'll go back to my hole, now...

I hope you're right, maybe working similar to the course creator by setting a few parameters ( width, height, length, etc. type of car, etc. ) which then get randomly created and after that ( or before ) you can specify which engine, type of interior, exterior details, etc.
Now that would be really nice in my opinion and would fit well into that "what if" scenario......
 
I like the create a car idea. Or maybe Make hybridding possible without the use of outside software.
 
Back