Map size

• Thread starter Ryan81
  • 43 comments
Ok, so how big is the map, guys? Is there a pic of it anywhere because I'd really like to know and compare it to TDU....

Some people think it's small, others think it's massize. Are there any residential areas or is it all forests, mountains and long sweeping roads with pretty much nothing there?

Someone will post a picture of the map that says it's 63 square miles in a heartbeat... That's not official, though.

I've been messing around a bit with the demo and did some very rough calculations and come up with around 120 square miles.

Someone will post a picture of the map that says it's 63 square miles in a heartbeat... That's not official, though.

:lol::lol::lol:

Here is the map:

forza-horizon-new-map-september.jpg

So if 63 sq miles is official, that means it's around quarter of the size of Ibiza in TDU2, to say nothing of Oahu. Even if it is 120 square miles, that's still just over half the size of Ibiza. I honestly thought it would be a lot bigger.....I'm sure it will still be a great game with fantastic scenery but a little disappointed at the size...

So if 63 sq miles is official, that means it's around quarter of the size of Ibiza in TDU2, to say nothing of Oahu. Even if it is 120 square miles, that's still just over half the size of Ibiza. I honestly thought it would be a lot bigger.....I'm sure it will still be a great game with fantastic scenery but a little disappointed at the size...

It's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it that counts! :lol:

Seriously though, I don't mind the map being a bit smaller if that means we get a better variety of roads compared to TDU.

It's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it that counts! :lol:

Seriously though, I don't mind the map being a bit smaller if that means we get a better variety of roads compared to TDU.

Thats just it, quantity vs. quality. FH may lack quantity, but it sure as hell makes that up with quality.

Does anyone know if Denver is included in the map? I want to look at the football stadium :)

I'd rather have ~200 miles of well recreated road than 1000 of TDU's horrific roads where the slightest bump makes the car fly 300ft

I'd rather have ~200 miles of well recreated road than 1000 of TDU's horrific roads where the slightest bump makes the car fly 300ft

I really don't understand why people are continuing to complain about the map size, I would rather have brilliant physics on a smaller map than a huge map with rubbish graphics and physics.

Yes Horizon is estimated at 63 sq miles with limited freedom. The map size is a very sensitive subject on this forum. :lol:

They are going to expand the map to make it a little bigger via dlc that you will need to purchase.

Does anyone know if Denver is included in the map? I want to look at the football stadium :)
Not there.

The map is definitely not 63 sq. miles. At the same time, it pulls a TDU with it's 216 roads to be found in that some of the individual roads in the city/towns count as separate roads. Overall, it is a bit of a small map as far as open world racers go, but you'll still be spending a lot of time going through each stretch of road, more so if you're going to be trying to collect all 100 discount signs as many are hidden off the roads.

I do not mean any of this in a negative way at all. Just trying to put in perspective the Horizon map size

I played for about 4 hours last night and experimented with this map layout and their guestimated mile marker lengths. The overall map is very very close to 63 sq miles with limited freedom.

Horizon is about 1/3 the size of Burnout Paradise which was around 200sq miles (this might not be correct). TDU2 is around 1,000sq miles with full exploration of both islands and full freedom.Takes about 2-3 hours to unlock all the roads in Horizon. To unlock all the roads in TDU2 on both islands takes about 50-70 hours.

Two weeks on TDU2? I spent around three hours unlocking the roads in south east Oahu, so two weeks is a little drawn out!

The only map DLC I know about is the little island.

We've got a direct measurement of FH, but when did you measure Burnout Paradise? You're quoting the figure from that "largest game worlds" image and doing the math, but I'm positive Paradise City isn't that big. Even the Burnout wiki states that Paradise is 26 square miles, with a little over 200 linear miles of roads.

Having now played the full game, all I can say is if you're unhappy with the size of Horizon's map, you're very difficult to please.

VXR
Two weeks on TDU2? I spent around three hours unlocking the roads in south east Oahu, so two weeks is a little drawn out!
I probably should list that in hours to compare to Horizon.

To unlock all the roads in Horizon takes about 2-3 hours of driving. To unlock all the roads in TDU2 would take between 50-70 hours (I am guessing much longer). The linear miles is insanly large in TDU2.

So to answer the original post.......It takes about 2-3 hours to unlock all the roads in Horizon. Not saying thats bad or good or anything. Thats just about how long it takes. So people can call that small, big, large, tiny whatever you want. :lol:

I am personally enjoying the game, but for those that dont have it, thats the size of the map. About 63 sq miles and about 2-3 hours of driving to unlock all the roads.

I probably should list that in hours to compare to Horizon.

To unlock all the roads in Horizon takes about 2-3 hours of driving. To unlock all the roads in TDU2 would take between 50-70 hours (I am guessing much longer). The linear miles is insanly large in TDU2.

So to answer the original post.......It takes about 2-3 hours to unlock all the roads in Horizon. Not saying thats bad or good or anything. Thats just about how long it takes. So people can call that small, big, large, tiny whatever you want. :lol:

I am personally enjoying the game, but for those that dont have it, thats the size of the map. About 63 sq miles and about 2-3 hours of driving to unlock all the roads.

That is exactly what I wanted to know, thank you for posting that information.

Np. Always trying to help. Also welcome to ForzaPlanet. :cheers:

Thanks, I was poking around for more information on Horizon and came across your posts, very informational. I have played my fair share of open world games over the years, GTA SA, LC, VC, Red Dead Redemption, Burnout Paradise, NFSU2, MW, TDU, TDU2 and for an open world game, Horizon does seem a bit on the small side. I really hope the Expansion pack is going to actually expand the map size, that may be a deal breaker for me if it doesn't.

it doesn't feel small at all, sure if you try to cross the map as quick as possible it will feel short, but when you are actually in it, it is sufficiently expansive and very varied. Most roads that look straight on the map are actually very twisty too.

I agree with JJ72, and I'd guess it's bigger than half the games DDastardly00 mentioned. It's a very average-sized game.

Fuel was just shy of 6,000 square miles. Something like 75x75 miles. Just a point of rough comparison, because Fuel wasn't any good, and it is also nothing like Horizon. Still though, it was massive.

Back