Map size

• Thread starter Ryan81
  • 43 comments
Yup Fuel was 5,560 sq miles and entered the Guinness Book of World Records as THE largest game on the console. It was very fun with friends but it was indeed just too dang large. TDU2 seems about right at an estimated 1,000sq miles. You get 2 full islands (Oahu and Ibiza) to explore and an insane amount of freedom along with an overwhelming amount of roads to explore and events to complete.

That video does not even show ANY of the offroad fun. Its another perfect example that just sticking to the roads in an open world game is not that enjoyable. Fuel had full freedom of the entire map. Why anyone would even think of driving on the roads in that game is beyond me. :lol:

All the games are great in their own way. Horizon nailed the open world racing physics, thats for sure. :cheers:

Fuel...was very fun with friends but it was indeed just too dang large.
Why?
That video does not even show ANY of the offroad fun. Its another perfect example that just sticking to the roads in an open world game is not that enjoyable. Fuel had full freedom of the entire map. Why anyone would even think of driving on the roads in that game is beyond me. :lol:
I don't agree with any of this. If you can't stand sticking to the roads, your daily driver's front bumper must be green from grass stains. :P

FUEL's offroad experience is the best of any game I've played, but with the right car it also offers an unparalleled diversity of driving roads and trails. The controls are simple and the tire model is slippy, but there's a half-decent physics engine hidden beneath those input filters.

For FH2, I think PG should adopt a similar procedural generation technique for the map. With care, it could be built to be just as detailed as FH is.

I have a 50" tv, and if I sit 3 feet from it..I bet the map will be huge.
And you will still unlock all the roads in 3 hours. :lol:
Again, I am enjoying the game. The op wanted to know the size in comparison to TDU, I am sure by now they get the point. Horizon takes 2-3 hours to unlock all the roads and is estimated 63 sq miles. The question has been answered. Really nothing else for me to discuss.

And you will still unlock all the roads in 3 hours. :lol:
Again, I am enjoying the game. The op wanted to know the size in comparison to TDU, I am sure by now they get the point. Horizon takes 2-3 hours to unlock all the roads and is estimated 63 sq miles. The question has been answered. Really nothing else for me to discuss.

Then I'm sure we will chat again when another serious question comes up....hehe

I still haven't unlocked all the roads. I haven't tried though.
Same here. I havent tried to unlock the roads, but I know for a fact that if someone does specifically try to unlock the roads, it can be done within 2-3 hours depending on the vehicle.

I can tell the map is much smaller than even Ibiza. I would say from the furthest point north to the furthest point south, it's around 15 miles or so. East to west, Ibiza is around 30 miles, not to mention far more roads.
Oahu is around 40 miles north-south.

I can tell the map is much smaller than even Ibiza. I would say from the furthest point north to the furthest point south, it's around 15 miles or so. East to west, Ibiza is around 30 miles, not to mention far more roads.
Oahu is around 40 miles north-south.
Yes Horizon is about 1/4 the size of Ibiza with a lot less roads.
Ibiza is around 220 sq miles
Horizon is around 63 sq miles.

I think the estimated linear miles in Horizon is what 200 linear miles? In comparison I believe TDU2 is 2,000 linear miles. That would put the Horizon linear miles at 1/10 the size of TDU2.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I0HD9G/?tag=gtplanet-20
"Take on thousands of unique missions as you explore over two thousand miles of back road and blacktop in this Mediterranean paradise"

I didn't hurry, and I didn't goof around a lot either, but I've finished my map after about 10 hours of driving time.

You'd have to go out of your way to hustle through it all if you want to cover this map in 2-3 hours.

^ Exactly what I said above. If someone focused on ONLY unlocking all the roads they could do it in about 2-3 hours.

Finished my map since yesterday, but seems like a perfect size to have imo. To me it seems somewhat small, but I think its bigger than even NFS Hot Pursuit 2010. :)

Back