• 66 comments
//The Art Car Project//

BMW Art Car 11
The A.R. Penck Z1, 1991

1658789741351.png

1658789778964.png

1658789830324.png

The original car:
The Penck Z1 was one of around 8000 examples produced by BMW. The Z1 was initially only intended as a concept vehicle, but strong public reaction lead to the BMW Technik demonstrator seeing a limited production run, which then kicked of the modern era rebirth of BMW Roadsters.

1658789886309.png

The Artist:
A.R. Penck was born Ralf Winkler in 1939 in Dresden, Germany - and died in Switzerland in 2017. The Penck name was one of several aliases that Winkler lived or worked under throughout his life.

There is a selection of works here that display Penck’s art, https://www.moma.org/artists/4546

ar-penck-the-situation-now-black-and-white-800x800.jpg

What is it?:
On the surface of it, the cave painting style seems obvious, and is a style much used by Penck. Slightly deeper inspirations apparently came from Picasso and Rembrandt. It’s often said that his interest in sciences and numbers are also present - I think there is some simple rhythm, lot’s of 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 to the strokes or designs (look for X, XX, XXX, or designs with one stroke, then two, then three - like the designs on the right wing for instance) There’s a T motiff used often which seems to be a reference to another of Winkler's aliases, Mike Hammer, and also his Jazz Band, Triple Trip Touch (or T T T).

My Livery:
The body had a Rouge Rubi base colour. As the design is in no way flowing, nor does it follow the car body, it was pretty simple to just draw up each decal and place in an appropriate spot. Since the real car is a convertible clearly the biggest difference is the presence of decals on the roof. These were shifted from the bonnet and roof cover onto the roof - which kinda works because they were too cluttered when on the original panels. All the designs from the real car are present, and none on my livery were made up. No changes were made in GT7. I’d give it 90-95% accurate.

Total Layers: 44 / Total Decals: 36 (34 Custom Decals)

Add to collection link
NOT Editable there's a stick penis on the bonnet, and you're just going to have to live with it.

Comments and criticism welcome, if you do use it, I’d appreciate a like and share for the livery in the game.

-- The "Modern-Era-DTM-BMW-liveries-on-the-BMW-VGT" Series --

Castrol Edge/ARAL Ultimate M3 DTM, Augusto Farfus, 2012

Editable
no special paints

1658790562408.png

1658790589723.png

1658790614729.png

Add to collection link

Comments and criticism welcome, if you do use it, I’d appreciate a like and share for the livery in the game maybe perhaps... why not Zoidberg?

"Wish You Were Here" Pink Floyd Album tribute livery.

Originally for a Livery Editor Competition in GTS, it's based on the sleeve artwork of Pink Floyd's classic Album.

View attachment 1176755

NOT Editable sorry.

View attachment 1176756
View attachment 1176757
View attachment 1176758
View attachment 1176759

Add to collection link

Comments and criticism welcome, if you do use it, I’d appreciate a like and share for the livery in the game.
I like how you have laid out your livery thread Matsik. I need to get organised and do a similar thing. Also, am a huge fan of the BMW VGT to drive and to do liveries on. I am not sure I posted any of my GT7 BMW VGT's yet (in fact there is only 3) but in GTSPort I had over 20... will see if I can migrate the images across into my album.. oh and my Aventador tribute to Pink Floyed, which has 3 albums on it. Your detail on this VGT is awesome mate. so well done.

//The Art Car Project//

BMW Art Car 19
The John Baldessari M6 GTLM, 2016/17

View attachment 1176740
View attachment 1176741
View attachment 1176743
View attachment 1176744

The original car:

Baldessari's canvas was a BMW M6 GTLM. It took part in the Rolex 24 hours of Daytona, January 2017. BMW Team RLL, campaigning the M6 GTLM in the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship, only achieved 8th in GTLM class (12th Overall). Though it did finish the gruelling 24 hour race... it was not what it said on the side.... F A S T

BMW-Daytona-2017-18-750x500.jpg

The Artist:
John Baldessari was born in California, in 1931 to Danish/Italian parents. He spent much of his life teaching Art in California whilst gain acclaim and popularity for his minimalist works.
Baldessari's website is available here http://www.baldessari.org/

JB-136_web.jpg

What is it?:
Let's be honest, it doesn't look like much! F A S T is reflection of Baldessari's desire to state something in the simplest of fashions.. it is not complex, it requires no context, nor understanding of a deeper sentiment.... it simply makes a statement. The image of the car on the right hand side was almost an inverse of some of his popular works - where he'd take a photo, and apply abstract shapes to it, in order to mask the usual focal points of the pictures (e.g. faces) and force the viewer to consider aspects they might normally skip past. In the case of the M6, the inverse was true.. the canvas was abstract, and it was the representation of the car that drew the eye. The coloured shapes are common in a lot of Baldessari's art.

My Livery:
Easy to apply, but much more time consuming to generate. White base, simple colour shapes to mimic the real car, which was extremely simple - though as ever, the rear wing of the VGT is a PITA! The greyscale image of the BMW VGT depicted on the side was a photo taken in the livery editor of a blank car, simplified in Photoshop, and Traced in CorelDraw... I then had to slice it into 6 pieces to get to the 15kb filesize limit. The Weathertech logo, and North American Endurance Championship logos used on the race number panels where drawn from scratch --- despite being barely legible, I wasn't happy with autotracing or any previously uploaded images.... this took a couple of hours... so it's odd I then used a pre-existing GTLM decal (which would have taken about 10 seconds to create!). Given that it bares the VGT rather than an M6 on its door I’d give it >95% accurate. I've added the drivers since the GT Sport version of this.

Total Layers: 56 / Total Decals: 32 (17 Custom Decals)

Add to collection link
NOT Editable deal with it ;)

At least you did it.. simple livery or not.

"BMW carte de France", Le Mans 1980, BMW VGT

Editable
no special paints

Based on the BMW M1 entered into Le Mans in 1980 by BMW France, driven by Dieter Quester, Marcel Mignot and Didier Pironi. The car finished 45 laps down in 14th (4th in class). The livery depicts a map of France, some major roads (including a route to Le Mans), and the locations of BMW dealerships. Owing to the big difference in shape, between an M1 and the VGT, I opted to trace the French coastal outline from Google maps, then as best as I could, transferred the layout of the roads (and other landmarks) as custom decals drawn up in small sections. I'm pretty happy with the result - it can't be 100% accurate, but it's a fairly reasonable attempt.

1667470572765.png

1667470579877.png

1667470601606.png

Add to collection link

If you like it and take the time to use it, please leave a like and a share.

-- The "Modern-Era-DTM-BMW-liveries-on-the-BMW-VGT" Series --

E-POST Brief M3 DTM, Dirk Werner, 2012

Editable
no special paints

1667470187371.png

1667470281613.png

1667470290900.png

Add to collection link

On the off chance this appeals to you, and you use it, I'd appreciate a like/share on the livery. Thanks.

Last edited:
//The Art Car Project//

BMW Art Car 03
The Roy Lichtenstein Gr.5 E21 320i, 1977

1667662197178.png

1667662212609.png

1667662391802.png

1667662229447.png

The original car:

The original car was presented as a Group 5 320i Turbo (E21) prepared to race at Le Mans, where it finished 9th after starting 49th. It was driven by Herve Poulain and Marcel Mignot. Poulain also drove the Calder and Stella CSL's, and the Warhol M1. Mignot went on to drive the Warhol M1 with Poulain, and also drove the Carte de France M1 at Le Mans in 1980.

1667666394543.png

The Artist:
Roy Fox Lichtenstein was born in New York in 1923, to a German-Jewish parents. Having grown up on the upper west side of Manhattan, and gaining an interest in Art and painting at school he later relocated to study at Ohio State University. His studies were interrupted thanks to US Army service between 1943 and 1946 where he served as an orderly, and draftsman/artist. After a couple of decades teaching and exhibiting when he could, his newly developed industrial print Pop Art style, fueled by his interest in comic art, allowed for his rise to prominence during the 1960's, and is often considered the creator of the American Pop Art movement. He died from Pneumonia in New York, in 1997 at the age of 73.

1667664387148.png

1667664332170.png

What is it?:
In simple terms it depicts the car's surroundings. The black section of the car with the white lines is the road the car will follow, the greenery, the sky, and both the setting and rising suns - the latter items being a reference to car's purpose in a 24 hour race. Aside from the suns rays, and the dots depicting the sky, the various other flowing lines are designed to convey a sense of speed. What the design portrays is intentionally kept simple, part of Lichtenstein's fascination with the style, was "~making the banal, monumental".

The car is obviously produced using a very strong, but simple, Pop Art style. The 'Ben Day' dots are characteristic of the industrial flexographic process found in comic printing and common in Lichtensteins best known works. The rest of the design sticks to using a very limited colour palette as Lichtenstein favoured. He was keen for the livery not to look painted, he wanted it to look uniform, to look printed. As such, after presenting the design, it was transferred to the car by another artist, Walter Maurer. Maurer worked on a number of BMW's Art Cars before, and since, and has produced a number of vehicular works himself.

My Livery:
This was one of the first Art Cars I started because I thought it would be simple! I've ended up restarting it at least four times, with a different idea of how I was going to produce, what looks like, a relatively simple livery, each time. In the end, the car is a mish mash of decals spanning attempts to produce entire panels in one go, to separate sections, to simple bits of the different colours, to standard shapes.

The slight 'elephant in the room' here, is that there appears to be two versions of this livery. Whilst researching, I found a number of things that contradicted from one source to the next. I've seen this car first hand and have my own photo's to work from as well. The livery that the car raced with appears to be a bit different in a couple of areas, to how it is now, and I'm not sure why. In any case, I believe the livery as I've presented it is closer to how it looks now, than when it raced - consequently on this occasion I've not included any of the race numbers, class decals, or Good Year stickers it's seen wearing whilst racing.

I’d give it 85%-90% accurate, there's bits around the front that obviously won't match the 320 because of the shape of the car, but mostly the VGT isn't a world away from the shape of the Group 5 Turbo monster. The box arches on the real car afford more real estate for the design than I had on the VGT but I've tried to include the designs anyway. Apparently Lichtenstein was really specific about the consistency of his dots, I've tried to be, but there's areas where I had to fudge it a bit. Having said that... like the Koons car, this one is one livery that more people attempt, I'd like to think it's one of the better efforts, even if it's for a car no one uses!

Total Layers: 248 / Total Decals: 74 (58-ish Custom Decals) Needs W1 Liquid metallic for the wheels.

Add to collection link
NOT Editable Soz.

Comments and criticism welcome. Like and share on the showcase would be appreciated if you are one of the people that find yourself using the BMW VGT.

//The Art Car Project//

BMW Art Car 12
The Esther Mahlangu E34 525i, 1991

1667687314326.png

1667687332974.png

1667687349637.png

1667687387997.png

The Original Car:
The twelfth art car was based on a standard production BMW E34 525i Saloon. I believe the base car was actually white, though the undecorated portions of the car suggest otherwise. In this form of art, a white base is traditional. This was the first Art Car (and still one of only 3) to be produced by a woman.

525.png

The Artist:
Esther Nikwambi Mahlangu was born in South Africa in 1935, and she is a part of the native Southern Ndebele nation. Though the distinct artistic style she uses is common to Ndebele people, she rose to prominence in the late 80’s and was quickly chosen to produce an Art Car. Typically she eschews paint on canvas in favour of the decoration of objects, as this is where this artform stems from (particularly the decoration of Ndebele homes) - this practice only falls to the women of the Ndebele, and is a skill only passed down to daughters. She has since been commissioned to produce many large scale murals for events, companies or products, some of which have been aircraft - thereby allowing Mahlangu to follow in Alex Calders footsteps of producing art for BMW, and an Airline. She's subsequently been invited to decorate cars for other marques, and again for BMW.

safrica-culture-art_b4f72258-04af-11e7-a2a9-8cc6a4d5973b.jpg

a7a3ce8bafb997d0ef64bbd8fe4b53ce.jpg

1667687543809.png

1667687586582.png

What is it?:
It doesn’t really convey a message the way some other art cars do, it’s just a representation of the Art of the Ndebele people, on an object. As this decoration is typically undertaken to mark a celebration - rather than of ownership - it becomes a celebration of Ndelebe tradition in a very public form… in that way, it’s almost more self promotion than a statement. The colours and forms may have had some tribal significance in the past, however it seems that it’s down to each artist to interpret the forms as they wish.

Mahlangus collaboration for BMW originally started prior to BMW’s significant investment in South Africa’s Rosslyn plant. She has since produced an interior design for a commemorative G12 BMW 750Li and also decorated an Isetta, with the same distinctive patterns.

My Livery:
On a personal note, I really like this car (hence I’ve included a for more examples of the work) - it kind of represents part of the visual experience of Hallucinogenics to me… but maybe that is just me. Despite the seemingly simple shape, this art car actually very much uses the lines of the base car in its design. Since an E34 5 series saloon shares nothing with the VGT, I had to compromise a lot on following the original design. I drew the roof, bonnet, boot and spoiler up as full panels in CorelDraw and placed them on the car. The sides were also pre-drawn, albeit in bands, rather than panels. A lot of the stripes and gaps were then overlaid with in game shapes, as for some reason the level of pixelisation in the imported decals was very high in places. In places I simply couldn’t follow the original car, because the shape was too different, and obviously, I can’t paint the wheels. Some bits are exact copy, some aren’t… I think I’d give it an 80-85% accurate.

Total Layers: 170 / Total Decals: 32 (21 Custom Decals)

Add to collection link
NOT Editable I'm sure you will get over it, if you even use the livery in the first place!

Comments and criticism welcome. Like, share, whatever... write the URL on a potato, mount it in a catapult, and fire it at your local government location for all I care.

Last edited:
"High Fidelity" Britcar 24 hours of Silverstone, Mazda RX-8

LEC entry, just a bit of fun, original design, based around the idea of privateer entry in the Britcar 24.

For this competition I focused on the small, and local aspect...

That said - let me tell you a little story… in the late 90’s, whilst still at school I started a part-time job in a small independent HiFi shop. In the early 00’s business was going well, the internet had opened new opportunities and help with market awareness, but hadn’t yet decimated margins or torpedoed high street retail. With a surplus of profits the boss man decided to revisit a passion he had as a young man, racing.

It was decided that once the lease was up on his RX-8, we’d take it racing. The series chosen was the Britcar endurance championship. Still very much a grass-roots championship offering ease of access in production classes, but gaining notoriety through an appearance on Top Gear, it seemed like a good choice. Also, the flagship Dunlop 24 hours of Silverstone was an event I very much enjoyed spectating at before it was absorbed into the Creventic 24h series (and eventually died).

Once the RX-8 was available, it was sent to a local motorsport garage run by a mechanic that was looking after my own BMW 635CSi at the time. The owner had some experience with racing, and had been chosen to run a couple of RX-8’s in the Britcar 24 at about the same time. The car was kept very close to production spec, and didn’t take long to prepare.

In terms of livery, though there was no real sponsorship, we opted to advertise the brands we sold as a shop. We were able to use the coverage to negotiate some favourable deals on a few orders for shop stock, but no money really changed hands. We raided the point-of-sale cupboard for stickers and vinyls, and set about liverying up the car. A couple of the sales reps provided stickers too, though the only company that helped out financially was Meridian, so we spent that money on a Carbon Fibre wing and put their logo on it. The wheels were provided by a customer that was keen to get involved, even the local sandwich shop got in on the act by catering for us over the race weekend, so they got a sticker too!

Come the 24hr race the following year, we were ready to take the green flag… and the rest as they say, is history.

The most interesting part of this story is that it’s mostly made up!

I did work in Hifi shop (for 17 years), the boss did have an RX-8 and did enjoy tuning up his cars when he was young. All the brands on the car are those that we sold. Guglielmi motorsport did do most of the work on my 635CSi barn find, and Steve did run RX-8’s for Mazda in the Britcar 24 - which is obviously a real event and was on Top Gear - and I did love going to watch it. Everything else is made up, though the girls at the sandwich shop round the corner did make a good stotty.

1668472749520.png

1668472798166.png

1668472780633.png

1668472830118.png

Add to collection link

Currently not shared, it's a personal livery, but if someone really wants it, ask.

Last edited:
How did you get the cubes to tessalate like that?!

They're all individual, so it was just a matter or lining them up one by one. The car has a gradient on it, then about 200+ layers of cubes, or cube faces. These were the decals used to make the base pattern.

1668503250500.png

There's a couple of places on the car where the alignment gets pretty janky, the real car gets over this by treating the bumpers separately - which isn't so easy to do in the livery editor. As an example you can see that along the front of the bonnet it doesn't line up with the bumper - but it doesn't on the real car either.

Walkenhorst Z4GT3 "PP Group/Cubist Livery", N24 2017

Ever start a livery you just wish you hadn't?

Editable No special paints as far as I recall.

View attachment 1208310
View attachment 1208311
View attachment 1208312
View attachment 1208313

Add to collection link

If you use it, a like a share on the livery itself would be appreciated.
INCREDIBLE! I looked at this when I first saw it and thought: "Yes, I'm keen to try that one out!". Then I looked closer, and closer, and started thinking: "How in the hell can I ever make that one?!" The answer: wait for @MatskiMonk to do it! Absolute legend!!

INCREDIBLE! I looked at this when I first saw it and thought: "Yes, I'm keen to try that one out!". Then I looked closer, and closer, and started thinking: "How in the hell can I ever make that one?!" The answer: wait for @MatskiMonk to do it! Absolute legend!!

Thanks.

I assumed it would be a ball-ache, then when I realised I could get away with only making a handful of decals, I thought it would be fairly easy...

... then I realised I was wrong, and it was a ball-ache. :D

Just need to carry on with the proper Art Cars now.
Tired Stickers GIF by OO-Kun

Thanks.

I assumed it would be a ball-ache, then when I realised I could get away with only making a handful of decals, I thought it would be fairly easy...

... then I realised I was wrong, and it was a ball-ache. :D

Just need to carry on with the proper Art Cars now.
Tired Stickers GIF by OO-Kun
Well done for carrying on and getting it done! You've done a great job of it.

"Alex Zanardi Tribute Livery" inspired by the Jean Graton Vaillant artwork
A livery paying tribute to one of the most inspirational drivers and sportsmen I think there is, Alessandro Zanardi...

Fp0YPjaXoAAJNaN.jpg
Fp0YPSdWwAAbIpd.jpg
Fp0YO-UXoAAmerO.jpg
FqdsJBnWcAMt3gm.jpg
FqdsIvfWcAA1dib.jpg
Fp0YP4zWYAAALFI.jpg

I've met Zanardi 2 and a bit times. Once at Spa in 2015, also at Silverstone - with a passing opportunity to fangirl-out at Brands Hatch... he is without a doubt the nicest person I've met in motorsport, be it spectator, paddock person, driver or commentator.

Some videos for your consideration...

edit: this probably won't work because FIA and WTCC are shaft clankers.

and from Stereoscreen's excellent "No Limits" film

and... me.. and him...

12525450_10153175604182245_4773023897496317656_o.jpg

The legend... Alex Zanardi

1675205073408.png
alex_zanardi_151269839.jpg

Add to collection link

Comment & Criticism welcome, like and share on the showcase if you think Alex is an inspiration... don't, if you don't - I mean you're wrong, but I understand other viewpoints exist :D

Last edited:
Thought I'd share this quickly. These are the graphics I drew for the Zanardi livery above, and how they were broken up in order to reach 15kb.
Zanardi3.png
Zanardi2.png
Zanardi.png

The face and body from the WTCC panel is based on the graphics I drew for the Vaillant Z4 with the body flipped around. The faces of the other two panels are based on other art that was released by BMW in 2015 to support the Vaillant car. In the case of the Paralympic panel, I drew the body based on a photo myself, and for the CART panel, the the body was again based on supplemental artwork from BMW, completely rebranded to match Zanardi's '97 suit and helmet.

These were the original images.

P90191607-munichde-24th-july-2015-bmw-z4-gt3-alessandro-zanardi-24h-spa-livery-michel-vaillant-sketch--bmw-ag--600px.jpg

P90191608-munichde-24th-july-2015-bmw-z4-gt3-alessandro-zanardi-24h-spa-livery-michel-vaillant-sketch--bmw-ag--1089px.jpg

P90191601-munichde-24th-july-2015-bmw-z4-gt3-alessandro-zanardi-timo-glock-bruno-spengler-24h-spa-livery-miche-2153px.jpg

Anyhow, back to Art Cars.

Thought I'd share this quickly. These are the graphics I drew for the Zanardi livery above, and how they were broken up in order to reach 15kb.View attachment 1228048View attachment 1228049View attachment 1228050

The face and body from the WTCC panel is based on the graphics I drew for the Vaillant Z4 with the body flipped around. The faces of the other two panels are based on other art that was released by BMW in 2015 to support the Vaillant car. In the case of the Paralympic panel, I drew the body based on a photo myself, and for the CART panel, the the body was again based on supplemental artwork from BMW, completely rebranded to match Zanardi's '97 suit and helmet.

These were the original images.

P90191607-munichde-24th-july-2015-bmw-z4-gt3-alessandro-zanardi-24h-spa-livery-michel-vaillant-sketch--bmw-ag--600px.jpg

Anyhow, back to Art Cars.
Mind blown. Having put some hours into my effort on the vaillant, I chuckle as you casually do this one. You make it seem easy, amazing work my friend.

//The Art Car Project//

BMW Art Car 14
The David Hockney 850CSi, 1995

Fr2yNf0WYAUsuDs

Fr2yS78XwAEk3fK

Fr2yStYX0AA5ctO

Fr2ySeqWcAMoExE

The original car:

The base car canvas for Hockney's art car was an E31 850CSi. Hockney received one of these rarer 8-er's as part of his payment for the project, he requested that the car be fitted waterbowl for his dogs, this was fitted by BMW and could be filled and drained at the push of a button. Hockney, clearly passionate about is own dogs, included one of them on the design of the car.

14-bmw-art-car-1995-850-csi-hockney-07-1280-960.jpg

The Artist:
David Hockney is a Yorkshire born British artist, considered by some to be one of the most influential British artists of the modern era, with a significant contribution to the Pop Art movement in the Sixties, and having plied his trade in the medium of both conventional art and photography, as well as lithography and in recent times straight to digital via touchscreen interfaces. For a time in the late 2010's he held the record for the most expensive work sold by a living artist, when a piece he painted in the Seventies sold for $90 million. He won this record, and then subsequently lost it to fellow Art Car creator, Jeff Koons.

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

What is it?:
The design is based around removing the body panels of the car, and showing what's underneath, and then placing that in the context of its surrounds. The patterns and shapes on the bonnet for example, are supposed to invoke the cylinders of the engine, the suspension turrets and intake manifolds and the Black zig-zags around the wheels represent the tyre treads. More obviously we also see the driver on one of the flanks (and his pet dog taking a road trip with him). Much of the rest of the design is given over to representing the surrounds of the car, specifically the areas around Hockney's Californian home, with lush greenery, beautiful sunsets and ribbons of tarmac disappearing off into the horizon.

My Livery:
Initially I figured this wouldn't be too difficult, that was until I started it. As with the Warhol car, it would be easy just to treat the designs and shapes as pretty simple decals, though in my opinion this robs the car of some of its texture, and as such I used lots of brush stroke decals to create, outline, or overlay on custom decals for much of the pattern. The car uses 88 different decals of which about 20 are pre drawn parts of the design and the remainder are brush decals or standard in game shapes. I maxed out the layers on the car body, using 400 out of 400 layers (the bonnet uses 96 of 150), consequently there's a couple of bits I'm not too happy with, but overall I do like it. The shape of the car at the back again is a pain, as it doesn't really match the wingless 850CSi, and I could probably have used another 100 layers tidying it up back there. I'd give it an 85% accurate maybe.

Total Layers: 503 / Total Decals: 88 (~32 Custom Decals).

Add to collection link
NOT Editable sorry, but that's just how it is.

Comments and criticism welcome. Like, share, all that rubbish.

"Eva Peron", Carrera Panamericana, Porsche 356 A/1500 GS Carrera '56.

Editable
uses a manufacturer paint (Plymouth Alpine White)

LEC entry based on the 1953 tribute to 'Evita' Eva Peron, who had died the year before. Driven by her friend, the actress Jacquelin Evans, in the Carrera Panamericana Mexico 1953.

Fr2yM0IX0AAIsLf

Fr2yNCMWcAEL4rR

Fr2yNQOXwAIYrSm

Add to collection link

Comments and criticism welcome!

//The Art Car Project//

BMW Art Car 15
The Jenny Holzer V12 LMR, 1999
FspuSqMWYAAJxkE

FspuS55X0AIeqds

FspuTLfWwAIHTZr

FspuTb2X0AANN14

The original car:

The basis for Holzer's art car was the 1999 V12 LMR racing car, a collaboration between BMW Motorsport, Schnitzer Motorsport, and Williams Grand Prix Engineering. The car wearing the Art Livery was chassis #004/99, it did not actually race at Le Mans, despite taking part in pre-qualifying - one of it's sister cars went on to win the 67th 24 Heures du Mans. The art car did go on to compete the following year at the Petit Le Mans ALMS round, where it finished 5th overall. It's sister car for that race dramatically back-flipped at high speed.

bmw_v12_1999_wallpapers_1_b.jpg

The Artist:
Jenny Holzer was born in 1950 in Ohio, USA and was the daughter of car dealer. She is "neo-conceptual" artist, whose medium isn't sculpture or expressions on canvas... it's the delivery of words. Sounds pretty simple really, but what adds a little weight to it is that she often tries to deliver confrontational truths in a way, or place, where they will hit home - often to make a point.

ost62rdpbftozam89gzx.jpg

What is it?:
The words emblazoned on the V12 LMR mostly relate to the idea of the drive for success, and come from Holzer's Truisms and Survival series. The phrases on the car are, "Protect me from what I want", "The unattainable is invariably attractive", "You are so complex you don't respond to danger", "Lack of charisma can be fatal", "Monomania is a prerequisite of success", "What urge will save us now that sex won't?". The letters are chrome foil, designed to reflect the sky during the day, and are outlined with phosphorescent edging to stand out at night... this pays thought to the 24 hour cycle the car is supposed to exist in. The chrome foil also reflects the blue sky, giving the car a blue and white appearance - as per the blue and white roundel of the company.

It can't really be more self explanitory... errrm... modern truisms... umm..

Well... all I can suggest to try and contextualise this (and this is my own analysis), is to picture your favourite racing driver, or the iconic drivers from history... imagine applying those labels above, to them and their personalities... are they true? Do they define the driver? That's what I find interesting about it anyway - are these the attitudes one has to embrace to be 'a winner'.

I actually quite like this art car. I understand that it's one of the dullest entries here visually, but it does push the boundary beyond simply being an aesthetically pleasing paint job, and something that really makes a statement - something I feel that Cao Fei's M6 from 2017 also managed... though, I'll come on to that in a bit.

My Livery:
The real V12 LMR, and the BMW VGT are not the same shape, at all.. despite its apparent simplicity this did throw up a few problems. The base car is Chrome W2, the body is then made white using in game decals, with all the slogans being custom decal masks. The real car features chrome letters, but also the letters on the main "Protect me from what I want" words should feature phosphorescent edging, which can't be replicated in game - at least, not whilst using the special paint base colour.

The real car obviously has a lot of vents etc. in the side of the body, I didn't want to try and replicate those as I don't like decal-fake-bodywork, but I did opt to colour the rear intakes on the VGT, to break up the simple white. Also, the slogan "What urge will save us now that sex won't" originally appears on the headrest of the race car, I chose to place it on the tail of the roof spoiler rather than dismiss it. Simple livery, doesn't translate so well in the livery editor, or in scapes... I'll admit to an 85% accuracy as there's no glow in the dark, and the position of the slogans cannot be 100% replicated. Compared to the GTS version, this time around I did the double pin striping, and also coloured the rear window to imitate the bulk of the engine cover on the real LMR.

Total Layers: 148 / Total Decals: 19 (11 Custom Decals)

Add to collection link

If you add it to your collection please at least like, or comment, or share... or all three, or none. Probably none, it's not the most exciting livery... you could say it lacks charisma... and that can be fatal.

Comments and Criticisms welcome.

"High Fidelity" Britcar 24 hours of Silverstone, Mazda RX-8

LEC entry, just a bit of fun, original design, based around the idea of privateer entry in the Britcar 24.

For this competition I focused on the small, and local aspect...

That said - let me tell you a little story… in the late 90’s, whilst still at school I started a part-time job in a small independent HiFi shop. In the early 00’s business was going well, the internet had opened new opportunities and help with market awareness, but hadn’t yet decimated margins or torpedoed high street retail. With a surplus of profits the boss man decided to revisit a passion he had as a young man, racing.

It was decided that once the lease was up on his RX-8, we’d take it racing. The series chosen was the Britcar endurance championship. Still very much a grass-roots championship offering ease of access in production classes, but gaining notoriety through an appearance on Top Gear, it seemed like a good choice. Also, the flagship Dunlop 24 hours of Silverstone was an event I very much enjoyed spectating at before it was absorbed into the Creventic 24h series (and eventually died).

Once the RX-8 was available, it was sent to a local motorsport garage run by a mechanic that was looking after my own BMW 635CSi at the time. The owner had some experience with racing, and had been chosen to run a couple of RX-8’s in the Britcar 24 at about the same time. The car was kept very close to production spec, and didn’t take long to prepare.

In terms of livery, though there was no real sponsorship, we opted to advertise the brands we sold as a shop. We were able to use the coverage to negotiate some favourable deals on a few orders for shop stock, but no money really changed hands. We raided the point-of-sale cupboard for stickers and vinyls, and set about liverying up the car. A couple of the sales reps provided stickers too, though the only company that helped out financially was Meridian, so we spent that money on a Carbon Fibre wing and put their logo on it. The wheels were provided by a customer that was keen to get involved, even the local sandwich shop got in on the act by catering for us over the race weekend, so they got a sticker too!

Come the 24hr race the following year, we were ready to take the green flag… and the rest as they say, is history.

The most interesting part of this story is that it’s mostly made up!

I did work in Hifi shop (for 17 years), the boss did have an RX-8 and did enjoy tuning up his cars when he was young. All the brands on the car are those that we sold. Guglielmi motorsport did do most of the work on my 635CSi barn find, and Steve did run RX-8’s for Mazda in the Britcar 24 - which is obviously a real event and was on Top Gear - and I did love going to watch it. Everything else is made up, though the girls at the sandwich shop round the corner did make a good stotty.

View attachment 1208306
View attachment 1208308
View attachment 1208307
View attachment 1208309

Add to collection link

Currently not shared, it's a personal livery, but if someone really wants it, ask.
Not gonna lie but I would love this livery. I enjoy my little track toy RX8 but it's just...bland in comparison.

Also I gotta say your attentiom to detail on ALL of your liveries is p e r f e c t i o n. Love each and every one of them!

Last edited:
Not gonna lie but I would love this livery. I enjoy my little track toy RX8 but it's just...bland in comparison.
Bung us a friend request (Matski on PSN), and I'll share a slightly tweaked editable version among friends only.

Also I gotta say your attention to detail on ALL of your liveries is p e r f e c t i o n. Love each and every one of them!

Thanks. Takes a lot of time. 6 more Art Cars to go, 3 of which I've already made and just need to post, the final 3 however present a significant challenge with either the decal limit or paint finishes, not looking forward to them at all.

//The Art Car Project//

BMW Art Car 05
The Ernst Fuchs 635CSi, 1982
FsarkVNWcAI0Vkd

FsarkmWWwAQf4Js

Fsarj1BWAAI89SM

The original car:
This is the first of two E24 6-Series coupe used as Art Cars, and the first that was simply a road car to be displayed, rather than a race car to make a statement. A euro model 635CSi with chrome wraparound bumpers - far better looking than the Fed spec example Rauschenberg used for the car that followed.

art-mg-bmw635art4.jpg

The Artist:
Fuchs was born in Austria in 1930 to a Jewish father and Christian mother. His father fled to China to escape Nazi persecution in the late 30's, with Ernst being taking to a concentration camp. His mother divorce from his father, and his baptism into Roman Catholicism prevented his extermination during the WW2. As a young man he travelled around Europe and the USA, learning and practice a wide variety of artistic styles and influences, and settles in Paris to become a poor, and unheard of artist. Having moved to a Monastery on Mount Zion, Israel, he creates religious icons and works to further Jewish-Christian understanding. Through a controversial set of commissions he hit notoriety, opened a gallery and furthered his art into other fields. He's credited with being a painter, sculptor, draftsmen, architect, stage designer, composer and poet.

a5.jpg

b2gr.jpg

zod3.jpg
zod7.jpg

golem.jpg

What is it?:
Fuchs refers to it as 'Feuerfuchs auf hasenjagd' or 'Firefox on a hare hunt', and describes the design as, basically, a hare jumping over a burning car at night - fair enough. His explanation of the motivation for this stems from an experience as a boy where he came around from a general anaesthetic and describes a dream like sensation of seeing a car driving through a storm, narrowly missed by a dramatic lightning bolt. He explains the fear that fire represents at base level, but also how the hare overcomes the fire with a majestic leap.

For my part, I always slightly dismissed it as just a bit of a rubbish hot rod design, I'd not even noticed the hare on the hood until I started this livery, and I've stood in front of the real car staring at it. But with Fuchs' description, the flames against an inky black sky, featuring (what I perceive as) clouds illuminated by lightning, it does make it a little more atmospheric.

My Livery:
Pretty straight forward, the flames I copied from the real car as closely as the bodywork differences would allow, and put them in as relevant places as I could. The pattern behind it was achieved with a simple decal feature a fade, adjusting the opacity and over laying semi-opaque gradient standard decals... and the leaping hare is simple a custom decal with some brush stroke decals added to make it look more like it was painted, and less like a sticker. It's fairly close to the original, given differences in the cars shape - but for the most part it's a fairly close copy. 85% accurate perhaps...?
Total Layers: 286 / Total Decals: 49

Add to collection link

If you use it, like and comment, if not don't.
Comments and criticism encouraged.

Last edited:
//The Art Car Project//

BMW Art Car 05
The Ernst Fuchs 635CSi, 1982
FsarkVNWcAI0Vkd

FsarkmWWwAQf4Js

Fsarj1BWAAI89SM

The original car:
This is the first of two E24 6-Series coupe used as Art Cars, and the first that was simply a road car to be displayed, rather than a race car to make a statement. A euro model 635CSi with chrome wraparound bumpers - far better looking than the Fed spec example Rauschenberg used for the car that followed.

art-mg-bmw635art4.jpg

The Artist:
Fuchs was born in Austria in 1930 to a Jewish father and Christian mother. His father fled to China to escape Nazi persecution in the late 30's, with Ernst being taking to a concentration camp. His mother divorce from his father, and his baptism into Roman Catholicism prevented his extermination during the WW2. As a young man he travelled around Europe and the USA, learning and practice a wide variety of artistic styles and influences, and settles in Paris to become a poor, and unheard of artist. Having moved to a Monastery on Mount Zion, Israel, he creates religious icons and works to further Jewish-Christian understanding. Through a controversial set of commissions he hit notoriety, opened a gallery and furthered his art into other fields. He's credited with being a painter, sculptor, draftsmen, architect, stage designer, composer and poet.

a5.jpg

b2gr.jpg

zod3.jpg
zod7.jpg

golem.jpg

What is it?:
Fuchs refers to it as 'Feuerfuchs auf hasenjagd' or 'Firefox on a hare hunt', and describes the design as, basically, a hare jumping over a burning car at night - fair enough. His explanation of the motivation for this stems from an experience as a boy where he came around from a general anaesthetic and describes a dream like sensation of seeing a car driving through a storm, narrowly missed by a dramatic lightning bolt. He explains the fear that fire represents at base level, but also how the hare overcomes the fire with a majestic leap.

For my part, I always slightly dismissed it as just a bit of a rubbish hot rod design, I'd not even noticed the hare on the hood until I started this livery, and I've stood in front of the real car staring at it. But with Fuchs' description, the flames against an inky black sky, featuring (what I perceive as) clouds illuminated by lightning, it does make it a little more atmospheric.

My Livery:
Pretty straight forward, the flames I copied from the real car as closely as the bodywork differences would allow, and put them in as relevant places as I could. The pattern behind it was achieved with a simple decal feature a fade, adjusting the opacity and over laying semi-opaque gradient standard decals... and the leaping hare is simple a custom decal with some brush stroke decals added to make it look more like it was painted, and less like a sticker. It's fairly close to the original, given differences in the cars shape - but for the most part it's a fairly close copy. 85% accurate perhaps...?
Total Layers: 286 / Total Decals: 49

Add to collection link

If you use it, like and comment, if not don't.
Comments and criticism encouraged.
It translates very well to the VGT, nice work.

//The Art Car Project//

BMW Art Car 04
The Andy Warhol M1, 1979
Fr2yTMAWYAcbghv

Fr2yYMNWcAAu1n4

Fr2yXtxX0AIy4UF

Fr2yX-EWYAQGje-

The original car:

The fourth Art Car was again based on a car destined to follow in the foot steps of the Calder, Stella and Lichtenstein cars, and race at Le Mans, and again for Herve Poulain. This time, for the first and only official time, the canvas was BMW's M1. Driven by Poulain and Marcel Mignot, alongside Manfred Winkelhock, the car started 23rd, finished 6th overall and second in class.

This was actually Warhol's third design, the first was on a 320 as the Lichtenstein car had been, however the 320 was too slow as a race car, and Warhol decided he wanted to paint over the windows -- sub optimal, I'd imagine. His second attempt when presented with an M1, was a military camo-esque design. Poulain was not a fan, and a third design was created. This design met with approval, and Warhol was flown to Munich to paint the car there. BMW reportedly provided a team to video the creation of the car, however, in the half an hour it took for them to get set up, Warhol had already finished the car.

Unlike the previous models, the designs of which had actually been applied to the car by Walter Maurer, rather than the artists themselves, Warhol painted this himself, in some cases smearing the paint on the car with his hands and fingers. He also painted spare body panels at the same time, in the same method. If these panels were fitted the appearance of the car may have been slightly different.

It was recently attacked with a bag of flour whilst being exhibited, by a Climate Change activist group.

04-bmw-art-car-1979-m1-group-4-warhol-02-1280-960.jpg

110_9_full.jpg

fh2yjlax0aec-5f-1669044909.jfif

The Artist:

"I love L.A. I love Hollywood. They're beautiful. Everybody's plastic -- but I love plastic. I want to be plastic." - Andy Warhol.
Andrew Warhola Jr, or Andy Warhol, was born in Pittsburgh, in Pennsylvania, USA, in 1928, to parents that had emigrated from the Austrian-Hungarian region that now comprises part of north east Slovakia. Warhol graduated university as a commercial artist, and began a career in this field. Leading off from this, he present his own exhibition in the early Fifties, from here... well, he did a lot, and gained much notoriety. In the 60's he moved his gallery around New York and settled at a location know as the 'factory', called so because of the techniques and manner in which Warhol would produce Silk screen printed paintings. This was to become the location for an assasination attempt by radical-feminist Valerie Solonas. Though unsuccessful, Warhol suffered injuries to his spleen, stomach and gallbladder, which many years after his death 19 years later, were concluded to be a contributing factor in the surgical complications he ultimately died of.

During his life Warhol was perhaps best known for his screen print works, but also created drawings, wrote books, made films, got into the music industry by taking charge of the band the Velvet Underground, wrote theatrical plays, got into fashion, produced many well know photographs, he even made a music video on an Amiga home computer... his influence in the circles and scenes he was involved with was prolific, and much has been written elsewhere about him. Warhol is with little doubt, the highest profile artist to produce an Art Car, consequently, his M1 has become one of the most well known Art Cars out there, and is considered to likely be the most valuable BMW in existence.

.. but I'm just going to go with the soup can as an example.

soupcan.jpg

What is it?:
The colours chosen are apparently chosen to reflect colours in nature, as with Lichtenstein's car before, and Manrique's, and Hockney's cars much later, the outside of the car is intended to present it's surroundings, as much as make the car's design a centre piece. Pretty thin really, fast cars are a blur, so he made something blurry... in 28 mins... don't think there's much more to be said <shrug emoji>.

My Livery:
The base consists of a handful of decals drawn up consisting of the bulk of the coloured areas. Over the top of this are about 300 brush stroke decals intended to convey the very 'slapped on' approach Warhol took to the car. Took me a lot longer than 28 mins. 85% accurate perhaps...? I seem to go for that number a lot, again the car's shape is very different to the M1, and the actual colours used likely vary as many source photos had wildly different colour tones going on. But it's pretty close in application, and I'm quite happy with it.

Total Layers: 344 / Total Decals: 49

Add to collection link
Not editable,
for which I'm sure I belong somewhere in the 5th circle of hell.

Comments, criticism, complaints, curses and cakes, welcome.

"Pink Floyd" Tribute BMW VGT

Quick walkaround of the car.

View attachment 1264286

View attachment 1264290

View attachment 1264277

View attachment 1264279

View attachment 1264280

View attachment 1264281

View attachment 1264292

View attachment 1264293

View attachment 1264294

View attachment 1264296

View attachment 1264297View attachment 1264300

It shared so you can see how I went about making it.

Add to collection link

Comments and criticisms welcome.
Mind-blowing! 👏👏👏

Back