Max Drive, Game Save and making video files thread.

• Thread starter Kent
  • 477 comments
Any ideas for a US-based PS3? I've been poking around and it looks like they've got a european model 160GB external ps3 maxdrive, but I haven't found anything that seems to be helping me in the right direction.

Does anyone know if the xps to max memory converter really works ? I took a 95kb xps save and when it re saved to .max it was 9kb...

Potentially good news on the PS3 front... I just read the 1.8 firmware update lets the memory card adapter write back to the memory card from the HD. I can't confirm at the moment, but that would certainly solve my problem... just move it back to the PS2 and then max drive it from there. On a related (but entirely off-topic) note, it substantially increases the likelihood of me doing the 24 hour endurances... no particular qualms about leaving my ps2 on for a month.

Now to go buy a max drive, a memory card adapter, and see what happens - will update this post when I find out.

Does anyone know if the xps to max memory converter really works ? I took a 95kb xps save and when it re saved to .max it was 9kb...

.MAX is compressed, that's why the file is much smaller than the original .XPS.
I've been using the Save Converter countless times and never had a problem.

.MAX is compressed, that's why the file is much smaller than the original .XPS.
I've been using the Save Converter countless times and never had a problem.

Yah I found that out later on. The only problems I've had is for some reason the game doesnt like some of the hybrid's on the memory card file. I'm not sure why but I just found the back up of my game save I made when i first got action replay max. I then loaded a couple hybrid's on to it and it takes now.

Hi,

I'm new here, and want to qualify to start racing!

However, I need to get a save up to you guys, and I have no max drive (because I'm using a PS3!)

So, is there any relatively easy/cheap way to get it off the PS3? Other than installing linux, even though I'm going to be doing that soon?

DOH!
Potentially good news on the PS3 front... I just read the 1.8 firmware update lets the memory card adapter write back to the memory card from the HD. I can't confirm at the moment, but that would certainly solve my problem... just move it back to the PS2 and then max drive it from there. On a related (but entirely off-topic) note, it substantially increases the likelihood of me doing the 24 hour endurances... no particular qualms about leaving my ps2 on for a month.

Now to go buy a max drive, a memory card adapter, and see what happens - will update this post when I find out.
Yes I can confirm you can copy BACK to the PS3!

I just don't have a maxdrive, and my PS2 is permenantely gone! :(

EDIT: I do have an adaptor I bought for the PS3 that makes the memory card go from memory card slot to USB. Can I use this? I can't check because I gotta wait to get my memory card and game back.

Same here, i want to qualify for the races but have no Max Drive thingy. :(,
I dont think you can join without having max drive or any equal software.

wow! Me too!!
I have a Max Memory Card (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006GYQQM/?tag=gtplanet-20, which I bought long back just to increase the memory capacity of the ps2. Now I am wondering if it is possible to use it somehow to transfer the data to my pc. Does anyone knows anything about this??

Here is a link to a tutorial for converting .psv files to a desired format that can be used to verify a WRS replay submission.
PS2 Save Tools

All credit to gothi, and thanks for a great site, mate. 👍 👍

So I purchased an AR Max just recently to start competing in the WRS. So I start it up and go to the saves part of the program and try and load the ghost replays onto the usb drive. First I try copying them directly to the usb drive which obviously doesn't transfer them in a .max format. Then I figure maybe I need to crush the ghost file from the memory card to the usb drive. Everytime I try and do that I get an error for the file transfer. So I look in the book and try and check to see what I am doing wrong. The only thing I can possibly see is that maybe I need to reformat the memory card (thus erasing all contents although I could transfer all the files to a new card then format it.) I downloaded the media manager program which was no help, and also checked out the pssavetools website though could not exactly decipher what I might need to do with the raw saves. If someone could help shed some light on my newb-infested situation that would be a great help and sorry if I didn't delve deep enough into this thread.

So I start it up and go to the saves part of the program and try and load the ghost replays onto the usb drive. First I try copying them directly to the usb drive which obviously doesn't transfer them in a .max format.

When you "try and load" your ghost replays from the memory card to the ARMax USB drive they are saved as .max files. What makes you believe otherwise?

Then I figure maybe I need to crush the ghost file from the memory card to the usb drive. Everytime I try and do that I get an error for the file transfer.

When transfering the files to the USB drive from the memory card via the ARMax software they are crushed/compressed automatically. The only time you need to worry about compression is when you transfer .max files back to your memory card via the ARMax software. You then select to uncrush the files to the memory card.

Have you checked that the tiny switch on the side of the USB drive is set to unlock? It's amazing how many fall for that one. Including myself. :dunce:

If you still have problems by later today, let me know so we can sort this out via MSN, that is, if you have an MSN account.

Welcome to the WRS :)

yeah I checked the lock on the side and it's undone. when i transfer the file it doesn't show up on the usb page in the AR Max program. when i put the usb drive into pc the files are there, but in a crazy format not in .max. am i missing some software or something?! anyways i just took the files and put them into the ps save builder and converted them to .max. that'll have to do. i'm also wondering if a max drive functions a little differently then an ar max?

can you send me one of files please?

I'll send you my email addy via pm

mtbiker157,
I got the file you sent, thanks.

You mentioned in the email that that the "crazy format" was .psv.

.psv files are created by the PS3 backward compatibility mode, I don't think you mentioned that you were using a PS3?

here is a tutorial that shows you how to convert .psv files to .max or to a number of other formats.

http://www.ps2savetools.com/faq.php?show=1&id_cat=9

I have a US PS2 slim running the NSTC version of GT4. Can someone exlplain why the ARmax evo would be better vs the older non-evo ARmax? It is also $10-15 more expensive...and if I dont have to I dont want to spend the extra cash.

I can't get the PS2 Max Drive disc to work on my PS3, it actually freezes up the system when I put the disc in. Anyone know a way to use the PS2 Max Drive on a PS3?

Okay, an interesting thing that I haven't noticed an answer to thus far.
I got an AR Max for Christmas. Not a Max Drive, which I find to be a silly overpriced piece. The AR Max hates my 512mb Traveldrive (which the PS2 recognizes, because it saves GT4 photos to it). However, I have gotten it to work with an SD reader, so I use that instead. Now, I can copy files from the PC to the PS2 no problem. But when I copy them from the PS2 to the drive, and then view them on my PC, all it shows is file folders. There is no .max file. Am I missing something obvious, or what?

But when I copy them from the PS2 to the drive, and then view them on my PC, all it shows is file folders. There is no .max file. Am I missing something obvious, or what?

I am having the same problem and have contacted Datel for possibly my second ps2 disk. Still waiting and its been about 5 days. Today I can't get thru to the web page as it is too busy. You may not be doing anything wrong as I believe its in the software. Are those folders labeled as such :BASCUS-97328BHMWiYYY
If I hear anything I'll post it in this thread.

This is what it spits out (from Ridge Racer V):

The file on the left was taken from Gamefaqs, has hybriding done to it, and it works fine on the PS2. But for the life of me I can't figure out what to do to get it to make a .max file from the PS2. I've already lost my Enthusia data because of it doing that, so I dunno.

This is what it spits out (from Ridge Racer V):

The file on the left was taken from Gamefaqs, has hybriding done to it, and it works fine on the PS2. But for the life of me I can't figure out what to do to get it to make a .max file from the PS2. I've already lost my Enthusia data because of it doing that, so I dunno.

What files are in the folder?

Right, you see all those files (including the folder)? Well, that is your save file. Are you saying that your Max saved the files like that?

Can you run me through all the processes that you take in order to save a file to your PC?

Also, send the folder to me via my email addy: pdq_sphinx AT hotmail dot com, I'll convert them to max for you whilst we figure out the problem.

Well, I start up the system with AR Max. I go to the Memory Manager option. I select Memory Card 1 (which is a standard Sony branded PS2 memory card). I select the file I want to copy (in that case it was my Ridge Racer V save). Then I copy it to the drive, making sure that it is reading right (I occasionally have to reinsert it to get it to display correctly). After it is done, I reset the PS2 and plug the drive into the compy. When it pops up, it is always a folder full of files.

making sure that it is reading right When it pops up, it is always a folder full of files.

I'm using gt4 gamesaves and when writing to .max it does not complete that step. Make sure the progress bar is complete. My folder contents look the same. Otherwise this seems like the same problem I'm having. I can do all other operations with the replay system. Weird

Latest Posts

Back