Mazda 6! Straight-six, that is...

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 113 comments
You do bring up some good points. It seems as if Mazda producing more expensive cars and selling less of them is a trade-off they are willing to accept. Though I do wonder how successful of an entry-level luxury car brand they'll be when the time comes. The Japanese luxury car market isn't in the greatest shape in the US market; Lexus has stagnated for the last 5-6 years, Acura has still been trying to find their direction after decades, and it is honestly enigmatic to me that Infiniti hasn't pulled the plug at this point. Mazda has never a been particularly high-seller in the US, and it's only decent selling car on the lineup is the CX-5. As aforementioned, most of its other products have grown outdated, and the Mazda3 is simply too expensive to meaningfully compete with the Civic/Corolla/Elantra.

I also do wonder about the future of the new affordable car market in the United States. It's not secret that new cars have grown more and more expensive in recent years (adjusting for inflation, of course), and many brands have pulled out of the subcompact and compact car market, as heightened safety and emissions regulations hinder these cars from being profitable. The ones that still do exist, like the Civic, Corolla, and Elantra, are all above $20,000 and can easily be optioned into the mid-to-high 20k range. Even the subcompact Versa and Accent have moved slightly upmarket, now being at the higher end of the $10k price range. The Mitsubishi Mirage, as crappy as it is, may be the only true "cheap new car" left. And it's obvious that subcompact and compact CUVs cost thousands more than their sedan and hatchback counterparts. Even the existing mid-range and luxury car and SUVs/CUVs are also moving upmarket to a certain extent. I guess the question is, will buying a new car eventually become financially unviable for moderate income earners?

There will always be a way to separate moderate income earners from their income in exchange for a new car. The car industry has managed to pull the trick of selling monthly payments rather than the full price of the car. Used car dealerships now frequently advertise the monthly price rather than the full price. $300/mo seems doable, yeah?

The trick is that whereas in 1995 a typical car loan would have been 36 months max, the standard is now 60 months and more often than not, its 72 or even 84 month. You can even get a 96 month car loan. That's basically a mortgage for a possession (lets not call it an asset) that will almost assuredly be worth next to nothing after that 8 years has passed - and I shudder to think the total interest due for the typical person who selects the 96 auto loan option.... The whole economic model of the west has pivoted to developing business models that produce recurring revenue - think subscription dues - as a way to demonstrate growth and excite their shareholders. I don't know the split between banks and automaker owned finance companies, but the gravy train is rewarding all - loan interest, origination fees, late penalties, service fees, etc. It's a monster.

Owing to Mazdas engineering prowess and lately excellent design, these new I6 RWD cars could actually be bloody fantastic. I'm sure they are going all out, deploying every last resource available to them to launch these products. If it doesn't work out, at least they went down fighting.

edit:

Only because it's somewhat relevant to this thread and Mazda's push for premium. It shouldn't really be all that surprising that Bernard Arnault recently (and briefly) became the world's richest man. His business is made entirely of high end luxury goods. $110bn surge in the last 14 months! That's equivalent to Lebron James' salary for 2,500 years - in 14 months. That's $165,000 per minute. I honestly can't think of any new brands, in any sector of the economy, that prioritize value. And the existing companies that do focus on value have been almost universally floundering, especially in the last year. We're in a really warped economic period right now and I don't think anyone can really say what comes next.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you're a dumb idiot and don't buy manual transmission normally aspirated 911s.
Or E36 M3s with 150,000 miles and rock chips all over the front end. Cars aren't investments!

EVs are coming. I have a feeling that any ICE car even moderately fun or cool is about to become an investment.

EVs are coming. I have a feeling that any ICE car even moderately fun or cool is about to become an investment.

I get the same feeling. They already kind of are as people can't seem to find what they want new, they go looking for well maintained used cars. That said that maintenance costs money so mileage may vary depending on car. Wonder what the future holds.

I hope there's some cool electric cars like the Honda e. Otherwise I'm prepared to get buried in a mound of electric crossovers.

I get the same feeling. They already kind of are as people can't seem to find what they want new, they go looking for well maintained used cars. That said that maintenance costs money so mileage may vary depending on car. Wonder what the future holds.

I hope there's some cool electric cars like the Honda e. Otherwise I'm prepared to get buried in a mound of electric crossovers.
The future holds $15,000 "average" NA Miatas so I need to get my game on before that happens lol.

I believe I mentioned this before but IMHO, I don't think so if Porsche manages to get this efuel thing available for everyone with an ICE.

EDIT:

Last edited:

1624231970173.png

Obviously, the highlight here is the straight-six up front, the cylinder count of this engine confirmed to R&T by a Mazda representative. Here it's paired with a 48-volt mild-hybrid system, which is in development as part of Mazda's plan to make 100-percent of its offerings electrified in some capacity by 2030. The company is also developing its first plug-in hybrid drivetrain, which the company illustrated with a four-cylinder gas engine mounted longitudinally in this new platform. Mazda also appears to be developing a straight-six diesel mild-hybrid, though we'd be surprised to see that in the U.S.

What isn't so surprising is that this new platform will offer all-wheel drive, as indicated by the shaft connecting the transmission to the front wheels. The layout seen here is typical of rear/all-wheel drive platforms, like those used by BMW and Mercedes. Of note, however, is the front suspension, which appears to use double wishbones. The only other Mazda to use a double wishbone front axle currently is the MX-5 Miata. The rear appears to have a multi-link setup of some sort, as indicated by the split upper arm. It looks like a great platform to work with, and given Mazda's well-earned reputation for dynamic excellence, we expect great things here.

Mazda also announced that it's developing a new dedicated EV platform, SKYACTIV Scalable EV Architecture, which will debut in 2025. This platform will be designed to underpin a number of different vehicle types, and will accommodate a rotary range extender.

1624232052928.png

I'm thinking it'll be a next-gen CX-9. The platform is long and large enough to be shared with an up-market next-gen 6 which is likely to become a rear-drive sedan. I mean, they literally just facelifted the CX-5 so that's sure to last longer than a year before they debut its replacement. Moving the CX-9 more upmarket would be a solid move because of the popularity of that semi-premium 3-row segment. Acura MDX comes to mind.

Last edited:
According to the Japanese outlet Best Car, the next generation Mazda6 may be back on again, because of the popularity of the CX-60 and CX-90

The early success of the CX-60 and CX-90 (with CX-70 and CX-80 on the way) has apparently prompted the high-ranked Mazda officials to give their stamp of approval for a large new sedan. However, take this speculation with the proverbial pinch of salt since reports from Japan don't always come true. According to Best Car, the car will not be a traditional sedan but rather a sleek four-door coupe serving as the "culmination of Kodo design" instead of an all-new styling direction.

According to the Japanese outlet Best Car, the next generation Mazda6 may be back on again, because of the popularity of the CX-60 and CX-90

“Culmination of Kodo design”

photoshop artist creates the most hideous blend of Mirai and Prius they could possibly come up with

I honestly doubt they’re going full-electric though it’s probably a good idea to enter the market. More likely skipping the heavy investment and current slow-down and going straight to PHEV territory. That would be a much more cost-effective investment for a smaller company.

Back