Mazda CX/MX range discussion

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 399 comments
Australia
Australia
ge5105833264077864129.jpg

Based on Mazda3 platform, Koeru ('CX-4') concept will be sportier than CX-5, and we reckon it will enter production
Is this the new CX-4? Mazda's big unveiling in Frankfurt this year is the Koeru, a new design study that nominally fills a gap in the range between CX-3 and CX-5.

The Koeru rides on the Mazda3 platform, which is also shared with CX-5. Mazda describes the Koeru as a 'crossover' (or CUV, as the Americans call it), which makes it a lower-riding alternative to SUVs.

According to Mazda, 'Koeru' is a Japanese word meaning 'exceed' or 'to go beyond'. The manufacturer regards the concept car as a segment-buster, making its name a fitting choice.

Boasting sleek, handsome looks the Koeru remains true to Mazda's Kodo styling concept, which is predicated on "the power and vitality of a wild animal while maintaining a sense of refined dignity," as Mazda explains in its press release.

The Koeru could be a surprise package in the local market, should it enter production and reach Australia, but the danger is that it could also snatch sales from the CX-5 – already far and away the strongest selling entrant in the medium SUV segment.

There's no word yet on whether the Koeru will enter production, but every recent show car from Mazda has morphed into a production car, whether it was the Hazumi (Mazda2), Takeri (Mazda6)or Minagi (CX-5).

The Koeru will make its debut in Frankfurt on September 17, when more details will be revealed.

Is there really a "gap in the range" between the CX-3 and CX-5? :indiff:

I'm not opposed to it, Mazda can make some really great CUVs as we've already seen. But I rather they focus their efforts on Mazdaspeed versions of the 3 and 6, and the much needed refresh for the CX-9.

Don't talk to me unless it's rwd on a Miata platform. Because we need an MX-Breadwagon.

It's like making an X1/3/4/5/6.

BMW gets away with that since they can shift a lot of crossovers. With Mazda, they are a niche brand in most markets - if the CX-4 is too similar to the CX-5, they could steal sales from each other which is not ideal with their kind of volumes.

Over here, some feel the CX-3 too small. Some feel they don't need the room of the CX-5. So, they buy the 3. The 3 is that middle ground. Make it a bit higher with the space of the 3 and there is the CX-4.

Just to add: I see more single women buying CX-3s with manuals. The next, is older women buying CX-3s in auto. More single young people buying Mazda3s with manuals. If a person under 30 buys a CX-5, it's the base Maxx with manual. Other than that, a young family buy the CX-5 diesel. This CX-4 will need to be with turbo and manual. The SP25GT is hot down here as well. That, I mainly see in manual. People are asking if an MPS 3 is coming. They're wanting that car because of this new design. The car is a stunner with the stock black 18s and accessory body kit.

I tell you, people that own the CX-7, They(owners I've talked to anyway) felt the CX-5 was just a bit too big and they like the sportiness of the older CX-7. We'll gauge the reaction in a months time.

Last edited:
Pointless imo.

But the SUV Market is the fastest growing.

Would only make sense if it had some kind of purpose the other models didn't

High style, affordable crossover?

It isn't the worst thing, as long as its reasonably functional.

New Mazdas use a similar chassis across the board similar to VW, but the CX5 is essentially based on a Mazda 3 as it is a Compact SUV.

The CX-9 is the Mazda 6 based SUV

I'm guessing it will be significantly lighter than the TB(outgoing model). 300hp from the 2.5 may or may not be enough. Maybe 310-320hp.

Probably a smart idea. The market is getting very saturated. Definitely a better plan to focus on what you've already done right, continue to improve, and work on the next iteration.

Probably a smart idea. The market is getting very saturated. Definitely a better plan to focus on what you've already done right, continue to improve, and work on the next iteration.
Mazdaspeed variants please.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/341B50C6577D8A5ACA257EC20080E68F
MAZDA Australia says it would need to be reassured that a stylish, medium-sized crossover vehicle based on the Koeru show car would find solid sales volume without cannibalising its similarly sized, top-selling CX-5 SUV.

The slick crossover show vehicle – revealed this week at the Frankfurt motor show – has not been confirmed for production, let alone earmarked for Australian showrooms.

However, Mazda Australia marketing director Alastair Doak told GoAuto on the show stand that if the vehicle did reach production, the Australian organisation would take a close look at it.

“There are no plans to import it into in Australia, but now that it is out and about and the reaction has been very positive, we will certainly do the research around it,” he said.

GoAuto has been told the vehicle will be called CX-4, should it proceed, although Mr Doak assures us no name has been locked in.

mazda_cx-4_large.jpg

It's probably more Mazda3-like than CX-5. Similar to how the CX-7 is more RX-8-like from the driver's seat. The CX-5 sits pretty high from the seat.

Latest Posts

Back